What's new

They Don't Call Me The Main Man For Nothing! - The Lobo General Discussion Thread.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Anyone wish they somehow incorporated his cloning ability in the game. Like make him into a puppet character as a trait? Idk, like I love lobo in this game, but I feel he is such a complex character that he could do so much more.

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
I use this site a bit now and made an account just to talk about Lobo.

He has the strictest timing I've seen in the game and it just makes it not fun to learn him. I generally have fun when going to practice mode and piecing together combos over time but this character just frustrates me so much. Anyone else having trouble stringing combos together and getting them to land? (Specifically dbf2 and b3).

Also, when I'm finally able to consistently land a good combo I found, it doesn't matter because the input delay online makes it even harder on top of his already strict timing. I'm sorry if this is a bit of a rant, I'm just really trying to like this character, especially since I paid for him when it's pretty obvious he, and the rest of the dlc, were held back on purpose.

Any sort of tips would be awesome.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
I can do his b+3 after MB czar toss all day in training mode, but online it's completely unreliable, really turned off by how tight they made the timing and u can't plink inputs In this game, I even tried 3 finger drum rolling the button but still whiffs online, argh
I have the same issue I just end up having to shorten the combo because of it.

chowdizzle

Time for the Bland Salami!
Not a big fan of characters with stricter timing being bad online just cuz of input delay. It's really frustrating, this is really why I only play player matches and quit immediately if it's a bad connection, which is relatively frequently. When this game's netcode does well it does great, but it's mediocre or bad a lot of the time.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink

He has the strictest timing I've seen in the game and it just makes it not fun to learn him. I generally have fun when going to practice mode and piecing together combos over time but this character just frustrates me so much. Anyone else having trouble stringing combos together and getting them to land? (Specifically dbf2 and b3).

Also, when I'm finally able to consistently land a good combo I found, it doesn't matter because the input delay online makes it even harder on top of his already strict timing. I'm sorry if this is a bit of a rant, I'm just really trying to like this character, especially since I paid for him when it's pretty obvious he, and the rest of the dlc, were held back on purpose.

What i do to hit b3 more consistently is i hold b and mash 3. As for hitting dbf2, when using after 12, i just try to do down before 12 comes out so you only have to press bf2 after 12. Hope this helps.

Sublime

Stop blocking my hits with your face!
My only problem so far has been hes qcb2 where he uses chain pull guys close and then shoot em. So problem comes as i play alternate controls so when doing input downback and 2 it will register as attack even if i delay 2 on purpose to get d2 for AA i get that chain attack.. (not that i have problem if chain hits lol) but mostly its very annoying

more Lobo tech, this time off Anti-Air Stand 3.

3 into Pump Shot is perhaps Lobo's best meterless setup. If don't they roll, you can dash in and pressure with your frame traps like 12 xx czar toss/back 12/21 into whatever. If they do roll, you can dash in and mix up between 21 (2 whiffs, 1 doesn't)/Low Pump Shot/ Czar Toss (only effective if they respect you and don't press buttons).

3 into Hook Charge is unique. If you whiff the first hit of Hook Charge and only hit the tackle, they are knocked down longer than they would be if you did hit the first hit. This allows Lobo to safe jump reversals like DS's godly Sword Spin (not the flip because thats a shitty reversal that gets beat by everything). You can't try using a jump in on these reversals, however, as the game has recovery frames on whiffed jump ins. So Lobo can jump in safely and use his 7 frame stand 1/6 frame Down 1 to pressure.

3 into either Spin Cycle or Space Hook is extremely bad. He CAN safely dash and block in time if Raven were to do a wakeup Soul Crush, but the timing is strict. Only use this to get the life lead or close out the match, NOT THE ROUND. Lobo is powerful from sweep distance to close distance, so these moves should rarely be used as enders.

Now for my favorite. 3 xx MBDC, Down 1 (Meter Burn Dash Cancel, or dash cancelling the forward 3/back 3 cancel) is a legit combo. While it doesn't lead to extremely huge damage unless you use a MB Czar Toss, it leads to the hard knockdown Lobo loves oh so very much. 3 xx MBDC, Down 1 xx Hook Charge is possible and is the best option. Down 1 into pretty much anything but Spin Cycle is doable.

EDIT: had 30 games with someone that plays an extremely solid Cyborg/Sinestro. Lobo can actually dash under all of Sinestro's MB fireballs, but he has to dash twice under it. Lobo vs Cyborg feels like an uphill battle, but this dude was my first legit Cyborg/I'm really ass with Lobo so iono. Also, Lobo needs a matchup thread.

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
Alright thanks guys. Any gunshot directions or is a specific one better? Like the low, med or the high?
High shot does the most damage assuming Lobo doesn't have a shell and jails after 21 is blocked, so they can't crouch it (And they get tagged if they try to jump out). None of the gunshots are airtight though, so they can super in-between. In that case EX bf3 is a completely safe blockstring that's + and leaves them right in their face if it's blocked. Nevertheless low shot is still useful to tag people who don't low block after the second hit of 21 though. Oh and mixing up 21 xx whatever and 2 xx low shot with shell is pretty grimey lol.

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
What i do to hit b3 more consistently is i hold b and mash 3. As for hitting dbf2, when using after 12, i just try to do down before 12 comes out so you only have to press bf2 after 12. Hope this helps.
Okay I can do the b3 a lot better now by mashing, thanks! As for dbf2 I think I might have gotten it down in practice. I definitely need to keep practicing the b3 though.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
For anyone having issues canceling his command grab from 113... begin the inputs for the grab immediately after the second jab hits and do the inputs fast. For some reason, the window for Lobo's command throw is smaller than that of other grab characters.

I am usually pressing the last input when he has the hook above his head if that helps.

Also a pseudo option-select with 21... input 21~dbf and check if they are blocking then press 2 for the command throw (free on block) or if it hits press 3 for the hard knockdown. You have to input this BEFORE the 1 connects, so focus hard lol

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
According to Disaster a page back, this move is massively + on block. Looks to be an even better version of Doomsday's.
It is still negative sadly... I tested it. At least it is not full combo punishable like the normal one.

I wonder what his best pressure move will be on block... perhaps mid-gun? (d1~mid gun)

Primiera - I tested it again last night in casuals and EX BF3 is indeed plus on block! Sorry for misinformation!

Swoops

Noob
B3 link after command grab is starting to get a lot easier. I'm pretty much hitting at 95% offline, online is obviously a bit trickier. It reminds me of HG's 123, b3 link, so I just started holding back and double tapping the B3 right as lobo recovers, works like a charm.

I'm starting to think that trait is reeeeally essential for him. Gives good combo damage to his d1 and makes his up close pressure a lot scarier/safer. I find it a lot easier to pressure when my opponent has to respect my d1. 2,1 xx pump shot shenanigans are pretty beefy with trait too. So I'm trying to find some good set ups for loading trait, even over max damage. Hopefully something that leaves lobo close and with maybe enough advantage to catch the opponent with db3 or bf3. Thoughts?

Btw, did any one else realize that bf3~MB has armor? That totally blew my mind when I found out >.<. You can make the normal version safe on block at max range too

chowdizzle

What is Lobo's character type and his objectives?
Grappler, Rushdown, Zoner, etc?
IMO he's all about getting in your opponents face and making them guess. He can end all his combos with untechable knowckdowns (bf-3 or db-3) that leave them very close to you and allow him to mix up high/low. Once they get scared of pressing buttons on wakeup is when his throw comes in to play. He has a good mid range game but has no full screen options. He has a fantastic and safe high/low game that MUST be exploited. He's definitely a character that completely relies on his Okizeme game.

On a separate note has anyone else noticed how good his jump 2 is? It get's beat out air to air pretty easily but if you can set it up it has a TON of active frames and a really good hitbox. Plus j.2 b2u1 113 dbf2 is 36% meterless. Nasty. This character has ridiculous pressure in the corner. Go look at the glitch thread I posted if you wanna see what's up with Lobo in the corner.

Green Nutts

Gotcha!
NERF THE FUCKING SHOTGUN! OP! TOO MUCH RANGE, THE START UP FRAMES, IT KEEPS AWAY TOO GOOD. ESPECIALLY WITH THE TRAIT. THIS CHARACTER IS SO FUCKING BROKEN! FUCK MAN!

Swoops

Noob
Hrm, I hadn't been messing with shotgun zoning at all honestly. It really didn't strike me as that good considering he can't dash cancel it and his st3 covers that range anyways. I was pretty sure trait doesn't extend range either :/. Need to investigate more.

Omg, and dash in d1/21 xx trait low shot is sooooo good. So fast, really good safe pressure that leads into good damage or knock away for trait reload. People are finally starting to stay still against me :p

SPECTRELIGHT

F, D, F + HP
NERF THE FUCKING SHOTGUN! OP! TOO MUCH RANGE, THE START UP FRAMES, IT KEEPS AWAY TOO GOOD. ESPECIALLY WITH THE TRAIT. THIS CHARACTER IS SO FUCKING BROKEN! FUCK MAN!
Not to be a jerk, but this is coming from a character with freeze arrows and an unblockable Super... C'mon Man!

Lobo doesn't have a great keep-away game, can have trouble against projectile spam and relies on mix-ups and oki. No offense intended at all, but I'd say you aren't accustomed to him and may need to step up your game (The Creator knows I need to do this BADLY!).

chowdizzle

Hrm, I hadn't been messing with shotgun zoning at all honestly. It really didn't strike me as that good considering he can't dash cancel it and his st3 covers that range anyways. I was pretty sure trait doesn't extend range either :/. Need to investigate more.

Omg, and dash in d1/21 xx trait low shot is sooooo good. So fast, really good safe pressure that leads into good damage or knock away for trait reload. People are finally starting to stay still against me :p
Lol don't feed the troll. You can't zone with the shotgun.

SPECTRELIGHT

F, D, F + HP
Anyone wish they somehow incorporated his cloning ability in the game. Like make him into a puppet character as a trait? Idk, like I love lobo in this game, but I feel he is such a complex character that he could do so much more.
I dunno about that, but Aes Rock is the dopeness, Ba-Dumt-Dumt...

Lobo definetely needs a buff. He's slow as hell on jump, has bad anti air move and no mid to full screen attacks. Haven't run into a single good Lobo player. Feel like I wasted 5$ on this, oh and his grab move unlike Grundy's don't have invincibility frames which would be much needed. This character isn't fit for the game at all

chowdizzle

Lobo definetely needs a buff. He's slow as hell on jump, has bad anti air move and no mid to full screen attacks. Haven't run into a single good Lobo player. Feel like I wasted 5$ on this, oh and his grab move unlike Grundy's don't have invincibility frames which would be much needed. This character isn't fit for the game at all
Not tryin to sound like a dick but I can basically guarantee you you are playing the character wrong. This character definitely has mid screen options and has the tools to get in but it takes a patient and calculated player. Basically everything he does requires a setup and if you don't have setups then you won't be doing anything significant. As in ever.

Saying you haven't seen any good Lobos online also means nothing, the level of skill in the general populous online is horrible. Most of the players online don't have the slightest idea how to play a FG let alone a complicated and technical character like Lobo. This character is ALL Okizeme, if you don't know what that is you're best off picking a different character.

BamSlam

Noob

Lobo probably has the easiest timing in the game ive experienced
next to Green Lantern