What's new

The Power Nth -- Hawkgirl General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have yet to play a match as over just been trying to get her combos down and generate a strategy and gameplan. She's not a character you can jump into and whip ass with. Unlike the other character I've been using......

MMH. Who I can wreck guys with early with. But I still haven't gotten him down to a science and I need to work on my setups and MUs and punishes. I don't just jump into matches with characters I'm learning. Usually takes me a month of labbing and practice before I take them to the streets.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
DS, Batgirl and Sinestro MUs are still omega gay.

Supes has also been pushing my shit in as of late, as soon as he has super its GG. Cant MC, cant fly, cant put on pressure.. hella lame.

Zoning Bats is also a problem for me lately. he has so many options if he wants to zone its insane.

Espio

Kokomo
I have yet to play a match as over just been trying to get her combos down and generate a strategy and gameplan. She's not a character you can jump into and whip ass with. Unlike the other character I've been using......

MMH. Who I can wreck guys with early with. But I still haven't gotten him down to a science and I need to work on my setups and MUs and punishes. I don't just jump into matches with characters I'm learning. Usually takes me a month of labbing and practice before I take them to the streets.
I respect that in regards to Zatanna, I still haven't bought her yet despite hearing her being a character that takes a lot of time to learn has me intrigued. Do you feel she's more zoner/counterzoner or a mix?

I wish I had that patience, I love getting my feet wet early with a character so I've been using him a lot in matches, but I'm not sure how I feel about my Martian Manhunter. I feel like the character is very good just that I'm having a hard time figuring out how to zone well with him, but he is a blast to play.

Supes has also been pushing my shit in as of late, as soon as he has super its GG. Cant MC, cant fly, cant put on pressure.. hella lame.

Zoning Bats is also a problem for me lately. he has so many options if he wants to zone its insane.

Thank goodness it's not just me in regards to Superman haha. I think she still goes 5-5 with him, but it's a tough 5-5. I don't enjoy that match up too much at all against Superman even if I win often it feels daunting.

Batman can outzone her somewhat, I was playing Nubcakes recently in the match up and his zoning was really frustrating to deal with, I dunno how I feel about that match up to be honest. I feel confident saying she does decent against him, but not sure beyond that.

I'm most worried about Deathstroke these days, at least Sinestro has unsafe footsie options without trait and if you get a knockdown you can troll him on wake up with your floaty jump and dive kicks I've been trying more of lately.

Not saying Sinestro isn't bad cause it's pretty tough still for sure, but he seems more susceptible to Hawkgirl's tools when you do actually get past his zoning options.

I respect that in regards to Zatanna, I still haven't bought her yet despite hearing her being a character that takes a lot of time to learn has me intrigued. Do you feel she's more zoner/counterzoner or a mix?
I feel like Zatanna is a setup character. Her moves setup other things and she anticipates your moves and counters with teleports and makes a lot of reads. She's not a reactionary character. She can't just d1 up close or hi guns from full screen or B13 in mid range. Her zoning is slow but I think it's on purpose. She wants you to react a certain way so she can teleport or divekick.

Her puppet master special, her F21 that standing resets juggles, her MB teleport, Her MB dive kick....... these are are moves to setup mind games. She doesn't seem to be the kind of character that can control the pace of the match with an overpowered move or oki tactic or screen control. She can control bits and pieces of it and take advantage of it. She seems momentum based.

Or I could be talking out of my ass since I haven't taken her vs anybody yet. :/

I wish I had that patience, I love getting my feet wet early with a character so I've been using him a lot in matches, but I'm not sure how I feel about my Martian Manhunter. I feel like the character is very good just that I'm having a hard time figuring out how to zone well with him, but he is a blast to play.
MMH is fun and awesome. I feel like he is perfect vs all of HG's bad matchups. I just need more lab time and more vs experience.

Espio

Kokomo
I feel like Zatanna is a setup character. Her moves setup other things and she anticipates your moves and counters with teleports and makes a lot of reads. She's not a reactionary character. She can't just d1 up close or hi guns from full screen or B13 in mid range. Her zoning is slow but I think it's on purpose. She wants you to react a certain way so she can teleport or divekick.

Her puppet master special, her F21 that standing resets juggles, her MB teleport, Her MB dive kick....... these are are moves to setup mind games. She doesn't seem to be the kind of character that can control the pace of the match with an overpowered move or oki tactic or screen control. She can control bits and pieces of it and take advantage of it. She seems momentum based.

Or I could be talking out of my ass since I haven't taken her vs anybody yet. :/

lol the last part killed me, but I will say after playing multiple Zatanna players it seems like a pretty good assssement of the character. I've seen some crazy set ups with her triple copies on knockdown and such too although they weren't used like crazy.

I noticed the range of her normals is pretty stubby so footsie wise seems tricky for her.

MMH is fun and awesome. I feel like he is perfect vs all of HG's bad matchups. I just need more lab time and more vs experience.
I agree and I'm actually happy because Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter are my two favorite Justice League characters so it's a win-win.

Interestingly enough I think she also compliments him well as I seem to prefer her against Doomsday, Nightwing and Aquaman for example so far anyway. He seems incredible versus Green Lantern (might actually beat him like some have said) and I think he does well versus Batgirl and Superman from my experience. I'm glad to see some of you guys in the Martian Manhunter forum as well :) .

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Thank goodness it's not just me in regards to Superman haha. I think she still goes 5-5 with him, but it's a tough 5-5. I don't enjoy that match up too much at all against Superman even if I win often it feels daunting.

Batman can outzone her somewhat, I was playing Nubcakes recently in the match up and his zoning was really frustrating to deal with, I dunno how I feel about that match up to be honest. I feel confident saying she does decent against him, but not sure beyond that.

I'm most worried about Deathstroke these days, at least Sinestro has unsafe footsie options without trait and if you get a knockdown you can troll him on wake up with your floaty jump and dive kicks I've been trying more of lately.

Not saying Sinestro isn't bad cause it's pretty tough still for sure, but he seems more susceptible to Hawkgirl's tools when you do actually get past his zoning options.
I dont think Supes is 5-5, with how little risks he has to take and the fact that he builds way more meter than us if we play the lame game and fly around tossing maces gives him an edge imo. f23ing all day beats all of our shit unless we have the perfect spacing and he can throw it after all of our shit too to "check" us.

5.5-4.5 at the very least imo. Only chance to make it feel even/advantage us is if we get a big enough life lead to force him to come to us.

Bats rushing down is where HG can win, she can shutdown alot of his rushdown options really well. If he decides to stay away and zone (especially if he has meter to spare) its fuckin hell trying to get in.
flying bats, grapple hooks, batarangs+ MB explosion cover more or less every possible angle and most of them can go into a combo with 1 bar.

DS is just dumb, free wakeup, zoning is really annoying to get through, j3 gives you way too much trouble.

Sinestro imo isnt that bad till he gets trait, thats when its game over lol. Sadly against HG he can just go "fuck it" and start charging almost anywhere on the screen and we dont have much to stop it.

Espio

Kokomo
Is anybody using forward 1,3/1 into combo of choice to interrupt Superman's forward 2, 3 pressure?

I was thinking about it and I usually interrupt with down 1, but if I'm standing I can back dash and mix it up more.

Just wondering if anybody else thought this might be preferred over down 1, both have their pros and cons.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
if he waits the f1 will whiff and you'll get caught by the second f23 (you know its coming). WE3 gets caught before it starts as well if you dont do the WE as a reversal.
Breath needs less pushback or for it to be like -3/-4 (or both :D fuck supes).

Espio

Kokomo
I just did it in practice mode today and it didn't whiff when I did forward 1, 3. I didn't have to step forward or anything with Hawkgirl or anything to get it to hit. The past couple days have been busy so I haven't been on to test anything game wise.

I finally got Zatanna since I got back lol, but back on topic: if it's unreliable that sucks :/. It would be nice to have a good deterring punish for decent damage to forward 2, 3 to make him hesitate more.

My wing evade 3 usually gets stuffed as well Blaze. I usually use down one, but I'll start trying mace charge more.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Things got really quiet around here after MMH and Zatanna released.

How is everyone? I'm still playing Hawkgirl a lot, just working on Martian Manhunter on the side.

Anything I can do to help improve the forum? Feel free to let me know :).

That's a good question actually, I really wish I knew lol.

Sorry for being of no help, but didn't want it totally ignored.
I'm still playing HG but I'm mostly focusing on Killer Frost as of late. I'm really just anticipating this next patch in hopes that we got our fixes...

RunwayMafia

Stop saying gay. It makes you sound...gay. ;) Deathstroke is harder than I originally thought for HG.

BG isnt as scary as I once thought...just don't fly. Hg can handle her on the ground, imo.

Batman...ugh yeah he's a pain. I mace charge like crazy in this MU. I simply try to smother him.

RunwayMafia

I feel like the only HG main who doesn't find Zatanna appealing...like at all. She's shit. However I am finding that Killer Frost covers all of HG's bad MUs. Ds, bg, sinestro, lex...pick her up.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Stop saying gay. It makes you sound...gay. ;) Deathstroke is harder than I originally thought for HG.

BG isnt as scary as I once thought...just don't fly. Hg can handle her on the ground, imo.

Batman...ugh yeah he's a pain. I mace charge like crazy in this MU. I simply try to smother him.
Lol <__< i do use it a bit too much, for some reason its been one of my go-to words as of late. Maybe i should stop..

KF does well against DS and Sinestro? I'm already interested. I'll go to the lab with her once i can sit down and play the game (which wont happen till the 9th ;__; )

Espio

Kokomo
I'm still playing HG but I'm mostly focusing on Killer Frost as of late. I'm really just anticipating this next patch in hopes that we got our fixes...

Me too, I want the patch to come so I can start completing the guide and also see if it changes anything up for her. I'm hoping she gets something to make her tough match ups more bearable. Your Killer Frost has improved a lot too.

I feel like the only HG main who doesn't find Zatanna appealing...like at all. She's shit. However I am finding that Killer Frost covers all of HG's bad MUs. Ds, bg, sinestro, lex...pick her up.

To be honest, I mainly bought her because I have all the other DLC and I cannot stand Batgirl and have zero interest in using Zod, Lobo or Scorpion, I at least like Zatanna a little bit.

She's a good pick for sure. I wish I had a capable secondary for some match ups, I've never even tried using Martian Manhunter on any of her tough match ups like Deathstroke and Sinestro yet. Too comfortable with Hawkgirl I guess.

MMH is great vs Sinestro and Lex. They can't setup anything for fear of MB pillar or teleport. Standing 3 beats Lexs jumping 3 when he jumps away with it. Trait covers his mid range very well. I also like MMH vs batgirl. Traited 22 punishes whiffed cartwheel and orbs fuck up her combos and pressure. I feel way more comfortable using MMH vs BG than HG. You can punish her mistakes much harder than with HG.

And MMH vs GL seems to be 6-4 although I need more time with MMH to make that feel how it sounds.

I tried Zatanna a little bit but I can't get people off me without teleporting and her range other than standing 3 is really bad. I can't find the time to set stuff up. Probably would take more time but I'd rather have fun with MMH. He's really fun to use.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Well...it's SAFE to say you are a little late to the party! ;) It's nice to see you post here...you thinking about playing her?
Yeah I play her a little bit for fun right now. But I was just thinking about all the safest characters in this game and she is top 5 in safeness. She has no holes in her strings. Most people only see her as a defensive character fly around do mace charge and that is all she has but she has offense too.

Have you guys found any use for her one string that can be a low or an overhead?

Her trait is interesting because she can fly than stop flying instantly.

She can hang with most of the cast with her few more difficult mus to win like deathstroke.

Have you guys found any use for her one string that can be a low or an overhead?
b2? Fuck yeah, I use that string all the time.

You can land a mini-combo from either option, and it'll do decent damage. b22 MC and b23 d2 MC both work well. And it's completely safe on block too.

It's not a true mid though, as some characters can crouch it, which is pretty annoying.

RunwayMafia

Yeah I play her a little bit for fun right now. But I was just thinking about all the safest characters in this game and she is top 5 in safeness. She has no holes in her strings. Most people only see her as a defensive character fly around do mace charge and that is all she has but she has offense too.

Her trait is interesting because she can fly than stop flying instantly.

She can hang with most of the cast with her few more difficult mus to win like deathstroke.
Yeah, me, Espio, Boodendorf, Trepound, and a handful of other players are all day 1 HG mains.

As for her B23, and B22 (the low/overhead strings) they are mostly useful in the corner...but midscreen you can either cancel into wing evade 3 or mace charge....she's not too big on long combos outside of the corner.

Yes, her trait is amazing.

She goes even and/or beats the majority of the cast with the exception of Sinestro, DeathStroke, Lex, (possibly Batgirl), most likely MMH due to his telport. Oh Zod is a tough one. Pretty much anyone who can shut her air game down with ease can potentially beat her...but if you are a grounded character...lol, good luck.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
b2? Fuck yeah, I use that string all the time.

You can land a mini-combo from either option, and it'll do decent damage. b22 MC and b23 d2 MC both work well. And it's completely safe on block too.

It's not a true mid though, as some characters can crouch it, which is pretty annoying.
they got to fix that for a lot of strings in this game. strings that say mid are actually high in a lot of situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.