What's new

The Power Nth -- Hawkgirl General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espio

Kokomo
is HG worth getting into now? I tried a bit ago but was waiting to see if she get nerfed or buffed?

She's worth giving a shot, she's a very unique character and it feels really good having all of her mobility options at your disposal. She's an incredibly safe character too. She gets to set the pace a lot as well.

Hawkgirl has remained relatively untouched overall in Injustice and this patch was no exception other than a MB mace charge fix so nothing of note has changed for her.

She does well against most of the cast, but has a couple tough match ups too like Deathstroke...then again she also blows up characters like Grundy so it's a trade off I suppose lol.

Hope you have fun and feel free to ask all of us any questions you might have :).

is HG worth getting into now? I tried a bit ago but was waiting to see if she get nerfed or buffed?
You main Wonder Woman, who is superior to HG in every way except keepaway vs ground based characters. From what I've experienced and heard, WW has a bit of a tough time vs Nightwing, Aquaman, and Grundy. HG owns two of them and can make it tough on Aquaman if played smart. But still..... I don't think any of those matchups vs NW, Aquaman, and Grundy are 7-3 or anything.

HG barely got buffed. What I showed in the vid is all she got.

HG is fun to use vs any character not named Cyborg, Deathstroke, Sinestro, Lex Luthor, and Batgirl.

I would think WW is now the default "best in the game" with Aquaman, and MMH now.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
WW is not top 3 imo, she has no presence fullscreen and her wakeups are kinda ass as they're 1 hit and punishable. She's definite top 5 though.
Top 3 imo as of now is Killer Frost, Aquaman and MMH. Barely lagging behind are Batgirl and WW.

Also I'd say HG vs Grundy is a 7-3.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
WW is not top 3 imo, she has no presence fullscreen and her wakeups are kinda ass as they're 1 hit and punishable. She's definite top 5 though.
Top 3 imo as of now is Killer Frost, Aquaman and MMH. Barely lagging behind are Batgirl and WW.

Also I'd say HG vs Grundy is a 7-3.
I totally agree with this statement. All of it. If people wanna have real talk...most of the "top" characters are only considered top because people on this site like to dick ride semi-popular players.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Wonder Woman's only problem is her wake up, which is punisheable but stilla good one. She doesn't need full screen zoning because that would make her undisputable #1 she is top 3 for me tho, but let's stop lol this is about our winged bitch <3

And Hawkgirl is a great character, she & Wonder Woman is all you need if you want a complete team! I main them both too with Zatanna

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
HawkGirl and Killer Frost is the ultimate duo. Ground Control + Air Control.
I used to think HG/Raven can cut it, but sadly its pointless coz they have the same bad MUs lol.

Then I joined the Frost army and havent looked back :) Hawkgirl+ Frost is a really solid duo as they cover each other's bad MUs pretty well.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
You main Wonder Woman, who is superior to HG in every way except keepaway vs ground based characters. From what I've experienced and heard, WW has a bit of a tough time vs Nightwing, Aquaman, and Grundy. HG owns two of them and can make it tough on Aquaman if played smart. But still..... I don't think any of those matchups vs NW, Aquaman, and Grundy are 7-3 or anything.

HG barely got buffed. What I showed in the vid is all she got.

HG is fun to use vs any character not named Cyborg, Deathstroke, Sinestro, Lex Luthor, and Batgirl.

I would think WW is now the default "best in the game" with Aquaman, and MMH now.
WW is definitely really good :) But boring now. I like how she might help out on Nightwing and Grundy and maybe AM, so that alone might be nice.
Yeah...she's incredibly solid against most of the cast (and handles Superman, Black Adam, and Killer Frost with ease) it's just her bad MU's...Cyborg, Sinestro, Deathstroke....are terribly bad.
Yeah whats nice about that is WoWo destroys all of them, so that might work for me.
Wonder Woman's only problem is her wake up, which is punisheable but stilla good one. She doesn't need full screen zoning because that would make her undisputable #1 she is top 3 for me tho, but let's stop lol this is about our winged bitch <3

And Hawkgirl is a great character, she & Wonder Woman is all you need if you want a complete team! I main them both too with Zatanna
I <3 WoWos wakeup spin, most of the team you keep em guessing and they totally respect it and back up often enough and far enough where u get stand up freely. Sounds like WoWo plus HawkGirl might be a good team for sure :)

She's worth giving a shot, she's a very unique character and it feels really good having all of her mobility options at your disposal. She's an incredibly safe character too. She gets to set the pace a lot as well.

Hawkgirl has remained relatively untouched overall in Injustice and this patch was no exception other than a MB mace charge fix so nothing of note has changed for her.

She does well against most of the cast, but has a couple tough match ups too like Deathstroke...then again she also blows up characters like Grundy so it's a trade off I suppose lol.

Hope you have fun and feel free to ask all of us any questions you might have :).

Yeah I like the safeness of her, how she controls the pace like you say, I like that. And like I've said before she reminds me of how THOR would fight.

I'll definitely ask some questions in a bit after I try her out again :)

RunwayMafia

I used to think HG/Raven can cut it, but sadly its pointless coz they have the same bad MUs lol.

Then I joined the Frost army and havent looked back :) Hawkgirl+ Frost is a really solid duo as they cover each other's bad MUs pretty well.
Yesss.....I'm glad you followed in my footsteps. They COMPLETELY compliment one another's bad MU's...plus Frost is evil and Shayera is pure divinity. Beauty and the Braun.

Espio

Kokomo
Okay warning in advance: long story incoming lol.

So I've been tinkering in the lab and messing around with stuff and I noticed I never see Hawkgirl players (myself included) ever use wall bounces in their combos so I just recorded a really short video and only one of the many examples.

Inputs: 3,2, background bounce, jump 2, 3,2, MB mace charge (40%)

You can also do 2,2,/1,2,3/ back 2,2 wall bounce or whatever starter you prefer. They usually do 2-3% less than the combo above, but are still relatively the same execution wise so it's really up to you, but I prefer 3,2 because it's her fastest mid. Nothing ground breaking, but just some ideas to mess around with, the more damage and options to get damage the better.

If you happen to be positioned by a background bounce interactable when you block punish something like Deathstroke's sword flip, I recommend doing that as an alternative as you can get more damage, it's easier to do etc.

I haven't seen anything about this mentioned, but there's an odd inconsistency with 3,2 wing evade 2 launching midscreen. It normally doesn't launch midscreen as most of us are aware(it normally only launches in the corner for big damage), but in a certain spot of the stage midscreen it combos so that's curious. I've known about this for a bit, but figured I'd just record everything simultaneously lol.

I figured I'd save the gimmicks for last :p. This is kind of fun as it's also tied to a background bounce.

It's specific to this combo(but there might be a different set up too that works similarly): MB forward 3, 3, background bounce, jump 2, 3, 2, wing evade 3 (this whiffs over the opponent/cross opponent up).

The AI normally rolls away from you when they're set to roll, yet off this set up they roll into/towards you so you could potentially go for throw as shown or a blockstring maybe. They can choose to not roll or wake up attack, but if they do that you can react accordingly.

Feedback is welcome, I know it's nothing ground breaking or game changing.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Okay warning in advance: long story incoming lol.

So I've been tinkering in the lab and messing around with stuff and I noticed I never see Hawkgirl players (myself included) ever use wall bounces in their combos so I just recorded a really short video and only one of the many examples.

Inputs: 3,2, wall bounce, jump 2, 3,2, MB mace charge (40%)

You can also do 2,2,/1,2,3/ back 2,2 wall bounce or whatever starter you prefer. They usually do 2-3% less than the combo above, but are still relatively the same execution wise so it's really up to you, but I prefer 3,2 because it's her fastest mid. Nothing ground breaking, but just some ideas to mess around with, the more damage and options to get damage the better.

If you happen to be positioned by a wall bounce interactable when you block punish something like Deathstroke's sword flip, I recommend doing that as an alternative as you can get more damage, it's easier to do etc.

I haven't seen anything about this mentioned, but there's an odd inconsistency with 3,2 wing evade 2 launching midscreen. It normally doesn't launch midscreen as most of us are aware(it normally only launches in the corner for big damage), but in a certain spot of the stage midscreen it combos so that's curious. I've known about this for a bit, but figured I'd just record everything simultaneously lol.

I figured I'd save the gimmicks for last :p. This is kind of fun as it's also tied to a wall bounce.

It's specific to this combo(but there might be a different set up too that works similarly): MB forward 3, 3, wall bounce, jump 2, 3, 2, wing evade 3 (this whiffs over the opponent/cross opponent up).

The AI normally rolls away from you when they're set to roll, yet off this set up they roll into/towards you so you could potentially go for throw as shown or a blockstring maybe. They can choose to not roll or wake up attack, but if they do that you can react accordingly.

Feedback is welcome, I know it's nothing ground breaking or game changing.
Thanks for posting it. I have actually used her wall bounce combos a lot lately, i use 1,2~WE(2) F1~Bounce/3~bounce

Espio

Kokomo
Is the term wall bounce or background bounce? Either way, good work gurl. ;)

I changed it to background bounce so as to not confuse it with back 3 bounces just in case. Thanks lol.

Thanks for posting it. I have actually used her wall bounce combos a lot lately, i use 1,2~WE(2) F1~Bounce/3~bounce

The only thing that worries me about 1,2, wing evade 2 is the gap, the damage is really good though. I kept trying to do these all day today in ranked and against my clanmate lol.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
What are Hawkgirl's best stages?
IMO stages with interactables in the air are best for HG as you have access to those when flying to help with your flight game/zoning.
So watchtower/metropolis rooftop/mess hall. In these stages its also easy to counter those interactables if the opponent tries to use them by jump then air MC (or just air MC if you were flying/airborne already).
I like themyscira as well coz it has interactables in both corners which you can use when you end a corner combo with WE3

IMO stages with interactables in the air are best for HG as you have access to those when flying to help with your flight game/zoning.
So watchtower/metropolis rooftop/mess hall. In these stages its also easy to counter those interactables if the opponent tries to use them by jump then air MC (or just air MC if you were flying/airborne already).
I like themyscira as well coz it has interactables in the corner which you can use when you end a corner combo with WE3
Great stuff. I'll try out all of them. I didn't think about themyscira tree after WE3. Thanks!

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I like themyscira as well coz it has interactables in both corners which you can use when you end a corner combo with WE3
I fall into the trap of zoning with HG in those stages. My game would be so much better if I didn't do this, but I never pass on the opportunity to say I outzoned a guy as Hawkgirl.

I'm still searching for a solid sub, and the Killer Frost talk has me intrigued. Right now, my sub is Bane...doesn't do me any favors beyond switching things up when I get bored. How you guys feel about the Deathstroke\Hawkgirl combo?

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
DS is alright its just that they both struggle in the same MUs (Raven, Batgirl, MMH).

I like KF as HG's backup coz she covers her bad MUs really well, either going even or bodying them.

RunwayMafia

DS is alright its just that they both struggle in the same MUs (Raven, Batgirl, MMH).

I like KF as HG's backup coz she covers her bad MUs really well, either going even or bodying them.
Yup. This is all I really have to say to HG's atrocious MU's..."I'll freeze your heart!". No but seriously, I feel so much better as a HG main knowing that I have KF as my secondary.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Lol, I wasn't thinking about that beyond, "Well, Deathstroke zones better, covers all of HG's waypoints". Maybe I haven't given Frost a fair shake, but just not really into her. I tend to get really bored with anyone not HG really quickly, Grundy and Bane just happen to be the only guys in the cast I played more than an hour with (besides her). Well, TO DA LAB IT IS!

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Lol there ARE other options aside from KF. For example Batgirl and MMH also cover hawkgirl's bad matchups nicely. You just need to basically see what MUs you dont like as HG and find a character that wins those or does better than her. At least thats how I try to settle on a back-up character >.>

Espio

Kokomo
TO DA LAB IT IS!
If you have two characters you really enjoy that fit your interests or strengths, you don't have to pick up characters specifically for match ups if you don't enjoy the characters, there's nothing wrong with grinding out match ups or playing who you exclusively enjoy. Tougher match ups are still doable with the right amount of match up knowledge and studying.

Some people just go all out with one character, some feel they need to use multiple ones to cover match ups and some just play multiple characters for variety and fun. Do what works for you.

Myself personally, I play Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter, but it's not because of match up complimenting even though they both do compliment each other. I personally really like how different they are from each other so it's always a unique experience for me. They're also two of my favorite heroes.

Not to mention, everyone has different opinions on what match ups are good and bad, I recommend exploring all the match ups with your characters and going from there. I think there are tons of exploitable holes in most characters and a lot of lab time may change opinions as has happened with me on several match ups that I now think are even.

Status
Not open for further replies.