What's new

The 3 Things we need for lao in the next patch

Lol meterless orbiting hat, like really? There is a reason it costs one of each bar right now.
and what reason is that?

special cancel a -13 string into -7 on block?
well shit, most of the characters either have safe mid strings or can special cancel unsafe mid strings into a safe special, without having to spend 2 bars of meter.

do a 5% better combo at the cost of losing a defensive meter and access to breakaway, which is super important versus a good player?
for an offensive move that's not even that great?

please

Immortal

Blind justice....
You should all try Kotal to see whats struggle looks like. Lao is like S++ tier compared to him.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Every time I see people complain about 21 hitting high, I feel like the aspect that your opponent has to be crouching and the fact that it's a completely disjointed hitbox on the last 2 hits is lost in thought.

Like...maybe it's not a pressure string...? Could just be a string to zone with. Iunno...outside box thinking could highlight the string's strength.

I ain't gonna lie, though, some of his frames are pretty goofy lol.

THTB

and what reason is that?

special cancel a -13 string into -7 on block?
well shit, most of the characters either have safe mid strings or can special cancel unsafe mid strings into a safe special, without having to spend 2 bars of meter.

do a 5% better combo at the cost of losing a defensive meter and access to breakaway, which is super important versus a good player?
for an offensive move that's not even that great?

please
For comparison's sake, I don't even have a special cancel that is safe with my character's current variation that will lead to a combo. Hell, most of the cast doesn't.

For comparison's sake, I don't even have a special cancel that is safe with my character's current variation that will lead to a combo. Hell, most of the cast doesn't.
i am not talking about something that leads into a full combo, im talking about something that's mid and safe on block.

Because Lao's unsafe on like everything

Last edited:

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
1) make 21212 hit high only the first hit, rest make mids, keep it plus on block

2) lotus fist, make his orbiting hat meterless

bonus: make f21 and f214 safe, but that might make him a little too good
Why dont u give him a restand and some 10 frame overheads?

Seriously the complaints in this thread.
F1 useless cause u cant hitconfirm? Its good for stagger on itself and u can make it safe with knockdown. If they like to poke use f14 so u can hitconfirm, if they block cancel it into special and make it safer or complete it for more mindgames.

He has alot of good tools, u just cant brainlessly do 212121 or f21 to pressure and expect to win.

Want a safe hitconfirmable string? F4!!!!!

Why dont u give him a restand and some 10 frame overheads?

Seriously the complaints in this thread.
F1 useless cause u cant hitconfirm? Its good for stagger on itself and u can make it safe with knockdown. If they like to poke use f14 so u can hitconfirm, if they block cancel it into special and make it safer or complete it for more mindgames.

He has alot of good tools, u just cant brainlessly do 212121 or f21 to pressure and expect to win.

breh, the thread creator asked for 3 things people think lao needs
i gave him 3 things he needs to become BETTER THAN HE ALREADY IS

in. my. opinion.

did I say that he's a bad character? no i didn't
did i put at least 1 complain into the message you quoted? no i didn't
did i say anything about F1 being useless? no i didn't

sup

Oh and about being brainless and expect winning, tell that to geras, scorpion and erron black for example.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
If customs become allowed he’ll be my secondary. When the game came out I went in practice and used the default variation with the great King Lao and loved it, practiced, went to ranked and it wasn’t there... (fucking stupid how the default variations aren’t just the same as ranked... like why wouldnt they be) so disappointed

THTB

i am not talking about something that leads into a full combo, im talking about something that's mid and safe on block.

Because Lao's unsafe on like everything
Don't you have...

f1 (10f)
f12
f13 xx orbit hat (flawless u3-able)
f2/f21 xx orbit hat
f4
f4 xx orbit hat (combo on hit, safe on block)

I'm not seeing the issue with safe mids...some are resource-intensive, yes, but damn...that's not really bad, especially having a mid that is safe and leads to orbit hat juggles while staying safe...

resource-intensive
that was my main point about the orbiting hat.

You might think it's not that bad, but for me personally it makes the whole lotus fist variation useless, cause i never have access to breakaway.

its taking a lot of resources to do something other characters can do without spending those resources.

THTB

that was my main point about the orbiting hat.

You might think it's not that bad, but for me personally it makes the whole lotus fist variation useless, cause i never have access to breakaway.

its taking a lot of resources to do something other characters can do without spending those resources.
Depends on what you're doing. He has safe mids, regardless. The only mids he even needs to use orbit hat to make safe is f13 and f21...the former of which already has another branch that makes it safe, leaving just the latter normal as the main one even needing orbit hat for safety.

If you find yourself starved of meter from spending orbit hat so often, then avoid using it as often as you do. He doesn't have that big of an issue with safety, so if it's not covering you for everything, why resort to it that much?

If you find yourself starved of meter from spending orbit hat so often, then avoid using it as often as you do.
Right now i just choose not to deal with the lack of meter and use hat trick instead, like most Lao mains.

f13 and f21...the former of which already has another branch that makes it safe
and it has like an hour long gap before the last hit.

If yall think im crazy or complaining too much about the character, maybe you'd value a similar opinion shared by one of the best NRS players ever? Here's a tweet from ForeverKing

JDM

Noob
Definitely not imo. What he really needs is QOL changes.

F1xxSpin should always connect. Flat out. Shit is dumb that it whiffs randomly.
Oribiting hat should be +16 on hit. F1 being a 2 frame link AND missing with Spin is stupid as hell. Both the spin change should happen and this, so you can get more damage off of Orbiting hat, and always have a safe confirm into f1 spin. F4 being a two frame link for max damage would be fine.
F2(1) needs to stop whiffing too. If I whiff punish you with F2 F21 should always hit.

I don't think things like 21212 being all mid after first hit and F21 being safe is what he needs, that would just make him braindead. It still wouldn't fix his real issues.

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
From what I gather Lao is not great at mixing up the opponent, neither does he have really good footsie tools/range? Shouldn’t a character with that kind of design at least be safe for the most part?!

Cassie has great footsie tools, some fair mix and she is safe on the most important strings. She seems to be in a really good place balance-wise, shouldn’t the same thing apply for Lao?

U2 on wakeup often whiffs on jumping opponents, unless they are jumping in from mid range. Neutral jump kicks can be timed to beat it out and crossover jump makes it whiff. Weird how U2 is supposed to be the anti air wakeup but U3 does a better job, lol.
Lao cant high or low crush like some characters. Not even the useless F1,3,(u2) move low crushes and is completely useless outside of that. You get thrown out of d3 from max range, d4 as well sometimes. His crouchblock hitbox is huge and all highs still connect.
His best (only) offensive option is actually throw.
His krushing blows are actually really good.
Edit: I forgot about the tele 4 KB, this one sucks. Maybe if it was like the throw KB where the next teleport attack landed was 4 rather than next attack in general. Idk why 4 was advertised as the mixup to throw when 2 obviously is.
Fatal blow is really good on a read from pretty far away.
I think with small adjustments L(m)ao will be really good.
Edit 2: It would be nice to have 1,2,2 come out on block, as long as it isn't -26.

Last edited:

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
I haven't really had much of a chance to play the game outside of a friends copy, but from what I've seen of Lao he looks pretty weak this time around. Strings are either unsafe, have huge gaps, or a bunch of highs. Teleport is too damn slow, oribiting hat isn't worth burning two bars, zoning is ok but nothing special, no real mixups to speak of. He almost reminds me of Raiden from MK9, his entire game seems to be just fishing for your opponent to make a mistake and then trying to sit on a life lead (only with worse punishes/ evasion tools). He definitely needs something.

Last edited:

kcd117

Noob
The only thing he needs is 1 from 21 to connect on crouching opponents if they block 2.

Maybe, but really maybe, F21 to be like -6.

He doesn't need anything else.

No characters need 50/50 to open someone up, I wish people realized that they are not playing mkx anymore and stopped asking for 50/50s. Erron, Geras, Sonya, and Sub all have 50/50s and they are scrub friendly as fuck and can legit fraud out wins by making you guess between lows and overheads, I don't want this game to turn into flipcoin simulator.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
The only thing he needs is 1 from 21 to connect on crouching opponents if they block 2.

Maybe, but really maybe, F21 to be like -6.

He doesn't need anything else.

No characters need 50/50 to open someone up, I wish people realized that they are not playing mkx anymore and stopped asking for 50/50s. Erron, Geras, Sonya, and Sub all have 50/50s and they are scrub friendly as fuck and can legit fraud out wins by making you guess between lows and overheads, I don't want this game to turn into flipcoin simulator.
I agree that he doesn't necessarily need a 50/50 but it would be nice if he atleast had some sort of real offensive options besides fishing for punishes and grabs. I would atleast like to see his theoretically best pressure string not have 3 consecutive high hits thus making it almost useless against anyone who knows the match-up.