What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So, how it is the tier list of this game right now? i'm not following it, and i've been mostly playing Ibuki and Kolin recently.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
So, how it is the tier list of this game right now? i'm not following it, and i've been mostly playing Ibuki and Kolin recently.

Well,

Laura/Rog/Urien/Gief are probably the topish 4. It's debatable, but regardless, they are kind of S tier. Urien may not actually be as good as the others though. Cammy may belong here as well. Some people put Guile up here as well , but I don't at all.

Karin, Ibuki, Bison, Necalli, Rashid, Guile are probably like A+ Ken may belong here too. I don't know.

Akuma, Ken, Sim, Mika, Birdie are all probably A tier. Some are debatably stronger. Mika might be debatably worse bit I don't think so.

Vega is weird and I don't know. I think he's A+ sometimes but then he looks like hammered shit. Then Godlike. No goddamn clue.

Ryu is another weird one. I don't think he's bottom tier like some people so but I dunno. He's A or B.

Alex is bad. Chun is bad. Nash is 'ok' but leaning towards bad. Fang is bad. Juri is probably bad.

I have no idea where Kolin falls but on what little ive seen, I'd call her A tier.

This is just a GENERAL list. Tiers are NOT in order. It's just a quick reference. There are a million arguments to be made to move characters around, but I don't feel like anything is DRASTICALLY off.

Eh. It's not set yet TBH. Aside from a few characters there's a decent amount of disagreement between the scenes. Depending on who you ask gief and Urien are either top 3 or mid tier, ibuki is either top 5 or top 10 etc etc. the tiers are compressed enough imo that it's probably gonna take a bit to get it sorted out completely.

EntropicByDesign

Eh. It's not set yet TBH. Aside from a few characters there's a decent amount of disagreement between the scenes. Depending on who you ask gief and Urien are either top 3 or mid tier, ibuki is either top 5 or top 10 etc etc. the tiers are compressed enough imo that it's probably gonna take a bit to get it sorted out completely.
Yeah, I should add the caveat to my rough list that everything is so compressed that outside of a couple of extremely standout characters and a couple extremely bad characters, everyone can body everyone for the most part.

I dont have KI, but if I did I know the online experience would be much better.
As of this time (17:40 UK time) I have played SF5 for roughly 1 hour 10 mins, I have had 3 matches.
Are you playing ranked? Because I get matches like 20 seconds after I end one. But I play casual only and live on the US. Also I set the settings to 3-4 bars (or whatever that means).

EntropicByDesign

@JJvercetti

*IF* you get fed up with SF and need a break, try KI. Its free if you have windows 10 or an Xbox. One character is always free on a rotation (Weekly I think) and you can buy packs/seasons or buy individual characters for like 5$ each (Shadow Jago is 10$ and Killgore, when he's available for purchase again, is 10$). KI literally has the best netcode there is, excepting SGs MAYBE.

Shrug. Just a suggestion. KI has some good points. PM me if you ever want more info or details.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Well,

Laura/Rog/Urien/Gief are probably the topish 4. It's debatable, but regardless, they are kind of S tier. Urien may not actually be as good as the others though. Cammy may belong here as well. Some people put Guile up here as well , but I don't at all.

Karin, Ibuki, Bison, Necalli, Rashid, Guile are probably like A+ Ken may belong here too. I don't know.

Akuma, Ken, Sim, Mika, Birdie are all probably A tier. Some are debatably stronger. Mika might be debatably worse bit I don't think so.

Vega is weird and I don't know. I think he's A+ sometimes but then he looks like hammered shit. Then Godlike. No goddamn clue.

Ryu is another weird one. I don't think he's bottom tier like some people so but I dunno. He's A or B.

Alex is bad. Chun is bad. Nash is 'ok' but leaning towards bad. Fang is bad. Juri is probably bad.

I have no idea where Kolin falls but on what little ive seen, I'd call her A tier.

This is just a GENERAL list. Tiers are NOT in order. It's just a quick reference. There are a million arguments to be made to move characters around, but I don't feel like anything is DRASTICALLY off.
I generally agree with your list but I 100% think Guile and Cammy are top 5. They are harder to play than the characters who can just fish for VT, but at a high level I think they are just as good. Matchups are ultimately what matter and I don't think Cammy has any losing matchups. Guile might be 4-6 against Boxer and Dhalsim, but he also has advantages over a lot of other characters. Birdie is absolutely 3-7 IMO (it was 4-6 in season 1 and got worse). While I don't know other characters well enough to confidently give matchup numbers I feel like he probably beats a number of other characters 6-4 or 5.5-4.5 too (at least a small advantage against Gief, Chun, Vega, and Alex, off the top of my head). Guile seems like he has a Sinestro style matchup chart with mostly advantage and disadvantage matchups, and not that many true even matchups.

On the other hand Zangief struggles pretty hard against Dhalsim, Birdie, and probably a few others as well. Boxer struggles against Gief/Laura. Not sure if Urien and Laura have any bad matchups.

Last edited:
On the other hand Zangief struggles pretty hard against Dhalsim, Birdie, and probably a few others as well. Boxer struggles against Gief/Laura. Not sure if Urien and Laura have any bad matchups.
I think Gief still beats Laura but it is much closer now. Also I think Gief is somewhere between 5-10.

EDIT: Dammit I just got killed with a crossup than landed in front of me.

Gief struggles vs some low tier characters but has pretty good matchups vs the top tiers, and with him set to receive buffs(why?) I can only assume he will easily be top 5, he honestly might already be. I'm having trouble understanding why Mika made it top5/3 off the ability to kill you in one hit and some people think gief doesn't lol.

Gief struggles vs some low tier characters but has pretty good matchups vs the top tiers, and with him set to receive buffs(why?) I can only assume he will easily be top 5, he honestly might already be. I'm having trouble understanding why Mika made it top5/3 off the ability to kill you in one hit and some people think gief doesn't lol.
Depends on what the moves actually do and the frame data of said moves to determine whether they are buffs.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
It's harder for Gief to get that 1 hit. Also, they are nerfing lariat.

NHDR

Noob
The top is pretty obvious, its more worth discussing the bottom tier. Ryu, Alex, Dhaslim, Nash, and FANG probably occupy it. I expect Ryu and Alex to move into mid-tier after the patch.

It's harder for Gief to get that 1 hit. Also, they are nerfing lariat.
It's harder for gief to get the one hit, but he risks less to get it as well. At the end of the day I don't really care either way and I think they were both fine, but it's funny to see people who cried about Mika being dumb try to defend giefs one button neutral and 1 hit kill vortex like it's somehow way harder to pull off than mikas was.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
It's harder for gief to get the one hit, but he risks less to get it as well. At the end of the day I don't really care either way and I think they were both fine, but it's funny to see people who cried about Mika being dumb try to defend giefs one button neutral and 1 hit kill vortex like it's somehow way harder to pull off than mikas was.
Probably because Mika's grounded combos were much more damaging than Gief's and put you back into a guessing situation without using meter. Her V-trigger and v-reversal were also more likely to allow her to change the momentum of the match back to her favor. Mika was really dumb in S1. S2 Gief is still up for debate, but I don't think he's quite on S1 Mika level.

Who said it was hard? It is almost the same as S1 but yet I dont see you or anyone else mention anything about that.

Who said it was hard? It is almost the same as S1 but yet I dont see you or anyone else mention anything about that.
The person I directly quoted did. Also I'm not going to say anything about that cause I don't actually think gief was that terrible in s1 and I think of the two top tier characters I played in s1 he beat one and went even with the other. Gief players just saw snake eyes get salty and decided early on the character was trash, but he wasn't. He had a few terrible matchups but if you were playing vs the ryu/Mika/Ken/necallis of the world you were fine.