What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

As Ryu, what's the best way to fight dhalsim? I'm having trouble with his teleport. Is he vulnerable immediately after he teleports? As in if he teleports what can I do aside from blocking?
If he does a grounded teleport you can punish it cause it's got a lot of recovery, if he does a raw air teleport you can check it with a jab on reaction pretty easily, if he teleports on wakeup it isn't throw invincible at the start so read it and punish, if he covers his tele with a fireball(ex or non) you gotta hold that once you're in block stun.

If he does a grounded teleport you can punish it cause it's got a lot of recovery, if he does a raw air teleport you can check it with a jab on reaction pretty easily, if he teleports on wakeup it isn't throw invincible at the start so read it and punish, if he covers his tele with a fireball(ex or non) you gotta hold that once you're in block stun.
Ah ok, thanks. So it's reactable and punishable at least with a jab unless he covers his tele with a fireball? Cool.,

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Yes. Urien. Questions?
Not at present.. just kinda looking at him and changes he has coming and pretty much saying 'why the fuck wouldn't I playh this character?'

Also, to the people.who know Alex, ugh, better than I do.. what do you guys think of his changes? They look pretty conservative to me but helpful. I don't know him well enough to understand them in play though. His poke game got better and with l.slash he can get in and at least not get punished for it but he's still negative (maybe with spacing he wouldn't be?) And once in he seems like the same character he currently is. Just curious.

EntropicByDesign

I want a grappler. My desire for a fireball character has gone away. Cause I'll prob just play Urien, since he's the neutral, clean play character I want, with a fireball and bullshit mixup game ducttaped on the side.

So, who to choose?

Gief seems the obvious choice if I want to win. He's probably in the running for the best character in the game already - Not that I think he is, but I think arguments can be made - and after the patch, I dont see how he wont end up top 2. at worst. So, a definite maybe. My issue is I find him a little boring.

Alex is a choice. He's poopy right now, but after the patch he wont be runny poopy. He'll probably be like, solid poopy. Maybe even urine. He may get upgraded to pee. A fun character to play for sure. He has some interesting tools and he isnt seen terribly often, which is nice. I have VERY limited play time on him, but have found him more fun than Gief.

Laura is a grappler. She's not so much the somewhat more traditional grappler I kind of want, but she's one of the best characters in the game right now and she's def fun to play. I have limited experience with her but ultimately, I dont think she's what I really want out of a character.

Necalli/Vega dont count, they arent grapplers, they just have command grabs.

Birdie.. I gave some thought to maining Birdie when I first got the game. I dont enjoy playing him that much. Lots going for him, he's very strong.. But just boring. probably not on my list.

Mika - Honestly? Id like to give her a fair run and see if I can take playing her seriously. I think she's quite good, but obviously not the complete powerhouse she was. Lots of fun stuff in addition to being able to play a pretty straight forward game as well.

Who am I forgetting here?

So its really kinda down to Alex, Gief and Mika.

EntropicByDesign

I think you're overestimating parts of uriens game. If you want neutral and clean play go cammy.
Just because he doesn't have the best neutral in the game, doesn't mean he doesn't have a solid one and it doesn't mean he can be played in a clean, precise style.. I mean, maybe Im totally misunderstanding his 12ft long normals into excellent frames but it seems to me Urien can play a nice, clean spacing game until his trigger is online and he can perform magic tricks.

Also, a quick edit. Cammy doesnt have a fireball, and I dont think Im good enough to play Cammy.

I want a grappler. My desire for a fireball character has gone away. Cause I'll prob just play Urien, since he's the neutral, clean play character I want, with a fireball and bullshit mixup game ducttaped on the side.

So, who to choose?

Gief seems the obvious choice if I want to win. He's probably in the running for the best character in the game already - Not that I think he is, but I think arguments can be made - and after the patch, I dont see how he wont end up top 2. at worst. So, a definite maybe. My issue is I find him a little boring.

Alex is a choice. He's poopy right now, but after the patch he wont be runny poopy. He'll probably be like, solid poopy. Maybe even urine. He may get upgraded to pee. A fun character to play for sure. He has some interesting tools and he isnt seen terribly often, which is nice. I have VERY limited play time on him, but have found him more fun than Gief.

Laura is a grappler. She's not so much the somewhat more traditional grappler I kind of want, but she's one of the best characters in the game right now and she's def fun to play. I have limited experience with her but ultimately, I dont think she's what I really want out of a character.

Necalli/Vega dont count, they arent grapplers, they just have command grabs.

Birdie.. I gave some thought to maining Birdie when I first got the game. I dont enjoy playing him that much. Lots going for him, he's very strong.. But just boring. probably not on my list.

Mika - Honestly? Id like to give her a fair run and see if I can take playing her seriously. I think she's quite good, but obviously not the complete powerhouse she was. Lots of fun stuff in addition to being able to play a pretty straight forward game as well.

Who am I forgetting here?

So its really kinda down to Alex, Gief and Mika.
I think Laura is a hybrid grappler/fireball . She caught my attention because I've never liked playing grapplers but her fireball made me choose her. She's real fun to play but I have moved on to Ryu as my main.

Just because he doesn't have the best neutral in the game, doesn't mean he doesn't have a solid one and it doesn't mean he can be played in a clean, precise style.. I mean, maybe Im totally misunderstanding his 12ft long normals into excellent frames but it seems to me Urien can play a nice, clean spacing game until his trigger is online and he can perform magic tricks.

Also, a quick edit. Cammy doesnt have a fireball, and I dont think Im good enough to play Cammy.
His frames are overrated. Especially if you're judging them after cr mk gets nerfed. He's got some decent plus frames on st mp but that's about it. St lp is ok but unfortunately can get low profiled if you try to do like st mp into st lp or st lp into st lp. He's not bad in neutral but he's more of an opportunist(like s1 ryu) he's pretty good all around so he can focus on playing to his opponents weakness instead of to his own strengths. You can play him neutral heavy but just know that it's an uphill battle vs a lot of the neutral heavy characters and your gameplan vs characters like Karin/cammy/chun is mostly going to revolve around getting a knockdown and mixing them up or being honest till you've got aegis and you don't have to. you don't wanna reset to neutral there.

EntropicByDesign

I have no idea what I want to do in SFV. Thats what it boils down to. I really enjoy Karin and I want to keep her as my main, but I just need to change things up occasionally. I mean at this point I havent played a match in anger in V since Kolin released I think.. But still.

Fuck.

Also, apparently I dont get notifications from Discord when people @ me, cause I never knew you had Rushdown, or Id have played. Been at or around the comp since 7-8

More Buttons = Alex
Straightforward Gameplan = Gief
Brain off =

EDIT: (I just wanted an excuse to use this pic)
"straightforward gameplan" that's just an @Youphemism for brain off isn't it? Honestly nowadays you can't shit on Mika and defend gief. Gief basically does what she does but easier/better.

Last edited:
Also, has anyone else felt like the online has been smoother? Since last patch I feel like I haven't got any of those "5" bar connections in ranked where it feels like it's underwater. It's nice actually being able to whiff punish stuff.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So, how it is the tier list of this game right now? i'm not following it, and i've been mostly playing Ibuki and Kolin recently.