What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

What do you think Akuma needs? Legit asking. I love him as a character and have a lot of lab time on him, but in a game who's meta is based around a touch into a guess into stun, hyper low life and stun characters struggle. Karin and Cammy get by (I don't think Cammy is as good as the sort of general opinion of her.. but she's still strong) on tools.. Karin has one of the best neutrals in the game with quite good range on her normals and some trickery with her rekkas and pressure, several ways to gap close and she can output a ton of damage and stun very quickly. Great walk speed and mobility in general. Cammy has dumb pressure and crazy mobility. Long range normals and best or second best (I don't know if Vega is faster?), Really solid damage and terrifying tick throw game. So they make up for low life with mobility and range and damage.. I don't list Oki and post-kd pressure because, honestly, fucking everyone had Oki and post KD pressure. It's a thing that any relevant character has in spades. Some characters have it in excess,like Laura, but almost everyone is good in this regard.

Akuma though.. I don't know. On paper he seems to have everything.. his normals are short-ish but he can fish a little with FP. His damage is quite good, he has a decent fireball and a good jump with demons being useful in a number of ways.. lots of tools and options and ways to pick and choose how he ends and behind his offense, f+FP is sexy. Pretty damn good + frames on a lot of his stuff and on and on.

Is it purely lack of mobility that holds him back? When I play Karin I feel like I can poke and peck and try to engage and then back out when it doesn't work right, but on Akuma I feel like I really have to commit more and once I'm in (which can be tricky) if I can't make it work I don't have an easy time of escaping and trying to reset the situation.
He probably needs nothing if the top 3-5 receive mediocre nerfs. He's not bad he just doesn't compete well vs the current top tiers who have slightly better everything(hp/range/mixups/etc). He's got a solid toolset though so I don't expect him to receive buffs. I'd like an extra 25/50 hp though.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
sup groupies here's the deal played the # 1 American gief on the leaderboards in a ft5 but due to the recording limit it starts at the final round of game 5 lul

pretty sure gief built his vtrigger twice in 1 round where's his nerfs lul and I can't make a mistake in neutral or it's vortex city but you know guile top 2 he's so gdlk lul
At 12:03 did this guy mash out of a fucking combo? lol

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Can anyone that has her give me the rundown on kolin? Any potential? Good normals? V powers etc?

Right now, I dont think she's that great. She's good, but compared to what some of the top tier characters can do, I dont feel like she can compete at that level. However, if some of the crazier characters get pulled down some I think she could be solid. I feel like she is also going to be a pubstomper. Her ability to dash like a lunatic and change up what she does and how she does it, along with her parrys, are going to make her a bitch to play against when someone doesnt know the MU (IMO).

Her normals seem solid to me. She has good range and reasonable frames and she hit confirms super easily.

Just my opinion.. In this current iteration of the game, I feel like shes decent. She's solid and she can win, but she has to work REALLY hard for it compared to some characters.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
can people stop whining about Guile lul
Lul S2 has been live for months and you're STILL downplaying Guile?! The character is fucking great and you know it, not OP just really solid. Nobody here is claiming you're a "tier whore" or that "you would be shit if you didn't use Guile" but seriously man quit it with the downplaying, and stop trying to dress up as Guile

Lul S2 has been live for months and you're STILL downplaying Guile?! The character is fucking great and you know it, not OP just really solid. Nobody here is claiming you're a "tier whore" or that "you would be shit if you didn't use Guile" but seriously man quit it with the downplaying, and stop trying to dress up as Guile
Eh. Not to defend shazzy but guile is Karin great, not top top Urien/rog tier great. He's probably in the 6-8 range. He didn't move up that much in s2 he just got a new group slightly in front of him. That said guiles still reallllllly good.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
listen man I hear it all the time playing on streams how Guile is op and even from some decent players

sure he's top 10 but you have to work twice as hard as any of the other toptiers

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Eh. Not to defend shazzy but guile is Karin great, not top top Urien/rog tier great. He's probably in the 6-8 range. He didn't move up that much in s2 he just got a new group slightly in front of him. That said guiles still reallllllly good.
listen man I hear it all the time playing on streams how Guile is op and even from some decent players

sure he's top 10 but you have to work twice as hard as any of the other toptiers
agreed.Guile is really really good but he still has to play street fighter. The other top of the tops dont.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
@B. Shazzy @FL Rushdown fair enough if everyone is having a sook to you; like I said, he's not OP at all, he's a great character in great hands, like Shazzy, definitely higher end of the top 10 SFV characters.
But still can't keep denying that he's "not that great"

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
@B. Shazzy @FL Rushdown fair enough if everyone is having a sook to you; like I said, he's not OP at all, he's a great character in great hands, like Shazzy, definitely higher end of the top 10 SFV characters.
But still can't keep denying that he's "not that great"
agreed.Guile is really really good but he still has to play street fighter. The other top of the tops dont.
that's all I'm saying. But 80% of people pool him with cammy, Balrog, Laura, in Urien where they see him as one of those characters that "has to be nerfed in the balance patch man Capcom messed up buffing these characters " or "all you see is Laura, Guiles, Uriens, rogs and cammys in ranked 24/7 man" I see it everywhere

he doesn't win like those characters nobody gets randomed out by Guile lul

Last edited:
that's all I'm saying. But 80% of people pool him with cammy, Balrog, Laura, in Urien where they see him as one of those characters that "has to be nerfed in the balance patch man Capcom messed up buffing these characters " or "all you see is Laura, Guiles, Uriens, rogs and cammys in ranked 24/7 man"

he doesn't win like those characters
cammy isn't busted like the other 3. She's super strong but she's not as fundamentally flawed as Urien/Rog are.

I rink it's easier to beat a bad cammy player than other toptier characters but she still could be toned down. The same way guile or Karin can and probably will too. Too much off st.lk, st. Mp shouldn't be +3 and b. MP aa hitbox adjusted like birdie's was
Karin, cammy, and guile are the honest top tiers. They play SF and just have slightly better tools than the rest.

Urien, Laura, and Rog are the flawed(I mean flawed as in designed with op flaws not that they're worse than the others, they're better imo)top tiers. They can play footsies and do all that too, but they've also got some busted tool that kills you in one hit so that even if they're losing they're never out of it till they're dead.

At least that's my take on it in s2. I'd like to see Rog/Urien/Laura nerfed, and I'd like to either see the other 3 nerfed or the rest of the cast brought in line with them through some mild buffs.

Last edited:

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Karin, cammy, and guile are the honest top tiers. They play SF and just have slightly better tools than the rest.

Urien, Laura, and Rog are the flawed top tiers. They can play footsies and do all that too, but they've also got some busted tool that kills you in one hit so that even if they're losing they're never out of it till they're dead.

At least that's my take on it in s2. I'd like to see Rog/Urien/Laura nerfed, and I'd like to either see the other 3 nerfed or the rest of the cast brought in line with them through some mild buffs.
Guiles vtrigger, Bison's reverse, Karin's jab resets, a couple of Cammy's buttons should be adjusted so that the lower characters can be brought closer without making opening possibilities for more flawed characters through over buffs like Laura Rog and Urien but not over nerfs like what they did to Nash and Ryu slightly. Season 1 Ken or Ryu didn't need to be nerfed because Fang could've used some adjustments to his vtrigger and poison mechanic, they shouldve been nerfed independently of Fang being lower tier. Xian admitted Fang wasn't a bad character in season 1 at least not low tier. People decide character buffs on how toptier their character isn't/how bad they use the character without considering how broken the toptier was in the first place. Laura was fine, could've used adjustments to add fresh layers to her sure but Capcom shouldn't give them their cake of toptier nerf going into season 2 and then let them eat it with random command grab buffs\ comboable overheads lul

Guile would've been fine too with the consistent flashkick buff/boom/ command normals buffs and if they were generous give him UDK +4 on hit.

They should balance characters around the strength, fairness and utility of their design around the game's mechanics/ intended vision while considering how unique and fun to play it would be and not whatever standard the toptier meta is at and getting other characters to that level just because. I don't want S1 Fang or S1 Laura to be on the level of S1 Mika or S1 Ryu, I want Mika to be fair and Laura to have a little more help because S1 mika is dumb and S1 Laura gameplan is risky yolo. S2 Mika is more fair which is cool and S2 Laura is now different gimmicky yolo into massive reward and then some, which is wrong way to adjust her

The general mechanics adjustments were good (less throw loops/stun, dp nerfs, white life, jab aas gone when they actually fix it, less meter build etc) . Also Capcom shouldn't listen to eventscrubs when it comes to what characters are bad and need buffs that's a part of it that makes it feel like I'm in the nrs community again.

Last edited:

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
I think Kolin is a good example of a character with a coherent design that allows the player options in neutral besides when do I dash/ jump in/ do this random fast ex move to get in which is the type of play they encouraged with Rog, Urien and Laura because of how rewarding it is to be a bum like the problems S1 toptier

To me it feels like Kolin is missing something as a character, like a command grab idk. Hopefully they set here design as the standard and not the toptier while always improving on it moving forward with these updates.

Last edited:

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Capcom definitely f'ed up the S2 changes. I'm glad they brought up the lower and mid tiers a bit but they created a whole new set of broken top tiers to worry about. They didn't fully eliminate aa jabs either. Their balancing philosophy of waiting a year to make changes completely backfired, imo. We don't want knee jerk nerfs and buffs like NRS. On the flip side, we don't want to wait a whole year for this massive patch that completely changes the meta, with no minor tweaks in between.

Kolin does seem pretty balanced as a character, but I can see her being super annoying to fight against. Her vanity step can make her hard to catch. Her counters are really good and her v-trigger gives her plus frames on block or a really good chance to stun on hit.

Don't get me wrong, I know commentators and personalities aren't gospel on anything, but I've watched several sets where the commentators talk about the match being HUGELY in Guiles favor. They don't put numbers to it but it's obvious from how they're saying it that they aren't claiming a 6/4 advantage. I hear 'almost impossible for Gief' from at least SOMEONE every time I see a commentated match between the two GS. I can't remember the guys name, bit Itazan vs the Guile in Japan that crapped on Diago and that little crew, his name escapes me.. but he and Itazan played and the English commentary mentioned more than once how it was almost impossible for Gief and Itazan was simply beyond godlike because he could bring it even and win. (He did win if I remember right), that's one specific source you might be able to track down if you wanted to see where some of my feeling that people think it's 7/3 or worse comes from.

And this is ABSOLUTELY not a real source, but watch any stream chat when the MU happens, that's a good snapshot of the community's ephemeral body and mindset on a given MU.

Also, SAWNIC BEWMMMMM.
Even I said early when Guile was released that the match had to be 7-3 but after playing it more and more, I considered it to be 6-4. (The Nash match was much worse than this) As it goes into season 2 I think its the same as the buffs for both characters seems equal to each other. The users of either character know the little things within the matchup that the viewers do not notice which does get discussed a lot, thats not to say that other peope do not see these things but it does seem that a lot of people have an odd hive mentality.
I dont really watch the stream chat as they just spew random crap. For example the topanga stream yesterday before the Itazan/Nemo match they were talking about how Gief gets stomped in this match but guess what happened? Itazan wrecked Nemo 7-1 and the chat was calling for Gief to be nerfed.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
At 12:03 did this guy mash out of a fucking combo? lol
I forgot to mention that mashing ex spd on hit isn't the only thing they do. They do it on block and apparently it works in between 3f gaps effectively giving them a 2f interrupt move you can't walk out of range to bait because you can't shimmy the range

guile top 2 tho lul

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I forgot to mention that mashing ex spd on hit isn't the only thing they do. They do it on block and apparently it works in between 3f gaps effectively giving them a 2f interrupt move you can't walk out of range to bait because you can't shimmy the range

guile top 2 tho lul
Ex SPD should only work on 5 frame gaps but maybe there is some way that it can outrange a move while avoiding it's hitbox? Idk, it's a risk of losing meter. Seems like ex RBG would be a better option because armor on frame 3.

The Gief up-play and guile downplay is getting a little out of hand though.