What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Sigh. Ima look for some Karin games here in a few. I should play Kolin just to like, justify my purchase, I doesnt know. Im so bad at not playing games.

Sidenote: For Honor is pretty awesome, but I dont have the mental energy to dig in to a brand new game tonight.
Just out of curiosity do you know how much input lag your monitor has? Just wondering cuz you said you were having probs and that could potentially be a big issue.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Could add a few to that list. Dunno why they didn't invite any of the Korean heavy hitters(aside from infil). Would've liked to see xyzzy/verloren
Yeah. I would have liked to see a Rashid player in there like John Takeuchi or maybe Gachikun but idk if he travels this far.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Just out of curiosity do you know how much input lag your monitor has? Just wondering cuz you said you were having probs and that could potentially be a big issue.
asus mx279h, Displaylag.com lists it as 09MS - EXCELLENT. Running in Game Mode (its just a preset for color and other assorted silliness, but I figure, what the hell, cant hurt). IPS displays WERE slower than some others, so when we got this one, I tried using my second monitor, a normal LCD, an HP w2338h. I cant find display lagg info on this one.. But i have tried playing on it with no noticeable difference, though i admit I havent sat down for a long session on my secondary monitor. My GF is a photographer and the IPS displays are considered the best for photo editing, so it remains our primary.. Along with an absurd 500$ external color correction rig to calibrate it all when she edits. ugh.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
asus mx279h, Displaylag.com lists it as 09MS - EXCELLENT. Running in Game Mode (its just a preset for color and other assorted silliness, but I figure, what the hell, cant hurt). IPS displays WERE slower than some others, so when we got this one, I tried using my second monitor, a normal LCD, an HP w2338h. I cant find display lagg info on this one.. But i have tried playing on it with no noticeable difference, though i admit I havent sat down for a long session on my secondary monitor. My GF is a photographer and the IPS displays are considered the best for photo editing, so it remains our primary.. Along with an absurd 500$ external color correction rig to calibrate it all when she edits. ugh.
Right on, I went with a IPS also can't stand TN would rather sacrifice slight input lag then overall color. I got the AOC 2757 which has 5.1ms of input lag and while not the best its fine for me. It is like 4 years old now so thinking of getting a new one after I upgrade my CPU.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
sup groupies here's the deal played the # 1 American gief on the leaderboards in a ft5 but due to the recording limit it starts at the final round of game 5 lul

pretty sure gief built his vtrigger twice in 1 round where's his nerfs lul and I can't make a mistake in neutral or it's vortex city but you know guile top 2 he's so gdlk lul

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Yo this is an S.O.S.

Someone send help. I need it lol. I climbed to Ultra Silver and plateaued there since s1's end till now. I still have ZERO idea what's going on. Been playing since launch and All of my wins just felt like I fished for the crush and confirmed or I out randomed the opponent.

Everytime I do something that I think will work doesn't half the time. And when I start being dumb and hit Laura's Hvy.p 4 times in a row on block no one does anything then get crushed for pushing the wrong button. Idk maybe I wasn't meant to get SFV lol

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
Yo this is an S.O.S.

Someone send help. I need it lol. I climbed to Ultra Silver and plateaued there since s1's end till now. I still have ZERO idea what's going on. Been playing since launch and All of my wins just felt like I fished for the crush and confirmed or I out randomed the opponent.

Everytime I do something that I think will work doesn't half the time. And when I start being dumb and hit Laura's Hvy.p 4 times in a row on block no one does anything then get crushed for pushing the wrong button. Idk maybe I wasn't meant to get SFV lol
Hey man whats your cfn?

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Yo this is an S.O.S.

AA's and not going into panic mode is my best advice. Having optimized punishes and a couple good oki setups helps a ton.

EntropicByDesign

Yo this is an S.O.S.

Not that I'm an authority, I don't even listen to my own advice but I feel like SFv is about understanding your pressure and your Oki, understanding your frames and setups and getting in your opponent's head.

SFV doesn't have an organic neutral.. it's about planning.

pretty sure gief built his vtrigger twice in 1 round where's his nerfs lul and I can't make a mistake in neutral or it's vortex city but you know guile top 2 he's so gdlk lul
He did build the 2nd Vtrigger when he blocked the first hit of your target combo but died on the second hit.

EntropicByDesign

I know it makes me a bad person but I've never felt, FROM WATCHING HIGH LEVEL PLAY, that Guile was nearly as bad a MU Gief as is portrayed. Yes, I'm speaking purely from observation, but at the higher/est levels of play, I just don't see it as the 8/2 roflstomp that it's widely considered. I watch sets regularly and even the Japanese Guile/Gief masters go pretty tight.

Guile has amazing tools to keep Gief away but one mistake from Guile or solid read from Gief and Gief will run away with the round.

Guile absolutely wins the MU, but his margin for error is very small, very very small, at the highest levels of play. Below that where 99% of gameplay takes.place though, Guile shits on Gief HARD.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
well boys 2nd best Guile in America and in top 10 for the whole world

would anyone like an autograph now
sup groupies here's the deal played the # 1 American gief on the leaderboards in a ft5 but due to the recording limit it starts at the final round of game 5 lul

Ok I think everyone gets it. You're a good ,no great player. Literally I promise we all get it. Instead of reminding everyone every chance you get, how about u use your skill and knowledge to help out the people who genuinely want to get better and up their game? Instead of calling everyone scrubs,bums,trash etc. it would probably help if someone like you would actually take the time to help for a change. I understand that #1 key to getting better can possibly be attitude towards the game and not having an excuse mentality for everything I'm sure everyone needs to work on that themselves. But as far as everything else goes, you're not really helping anyone by showing off vids of you beating top ranked players and boasting while pointing and laughing at the "bad" players. I dunno if you have attempted to help ppl and they just refuse or whatever the case maybe, from what I see in here a lot of the time it's not really much help from you.

-p.s. Almost forgot ." lul"

EntropicByDesign

I think my Cammy sojourn is over.. I wanted to experiment with her and see if I preferred her to Karin and the answer to that is a resounding NO. Karin is my biatch. Rashid is still money like a dollar, but I just can't find a scenario I want to play him in, over Karin. I want a fireball character though, it's an aspect of my game I want to understand better and work on.

So, who are my options.. Guile, Ryu.. Fang kinda? Eh.. who am I missing here.. I don't mean characters that HAVE a fireball, but ones that can/should use them heavily to build offense and asskickery.. Nash? Is he considered a fireball character? I guess kinda. Akuma really isn't. It's not that he can't work behind his fireball it's just that I don't feel like his gameplan heavily revolves around it in the way Ryu's can and Guiles def does.

Who am I missing? I feel like I'm forgetting someone.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
I think my Cammy sojourn is over.. I wanted to experiment with her and see if I preferred her to Karin and the answer to that is a resounding NO. Karin is my biatch. Rashid is still money like a dollar, but I just can't find a scenario I want to play him in, over Karin. I want a fireball character though, it's an aspect of my game I want to understand better and work on.

So, who are my options.. Guile, Ryu.. Fang kinda? Eh.. who am I missing here.. I don't mean characters that HAVE a fireball, but ones that can/should use them heavily to build offense and asskickery.. Nash? Is he considered a fireball character? I guess kinda. Akuma really isn't. It's not that he can't work behind his fireball it's just that I don't feel like his gameplan heavily revolves around it in the way Ryu's can and Guiles def does.

Who am I missing? I feel like I'm forgetting someone.
Kolin ;)

Jk I have no clue but since I only fuck w female characters I would mess with chun or Laura. But right now Laura is kinda unpopular ATM so I'll wait til she's nerfed lol

EntropicByDesign

Kolin ;)

Jk I have no clue but since I only fuck w female characters I would mess with chun or Laura. But right now Laura is kinda unpopular ATM so I'll wait til she's nerfed lol
Fuck that dude play whoever you want. I love Karin but if she ends up nerfed and bad, I won't play her. I play a+ characters only for the most part. To me, if I KNOW I'm on a high tier character I can't ever option select a loss as my character being bad. I have to hold every single ass kicking with no stones to hide behind.

As for Kolin, you aren't wrong exactly, but I'm looking for a more traditional fireball type character. So Laura and Chun are out of the running. Kolin is probably the worst possible character archetype for me honestly. I may be wrong, but I feel like she's all about setups. As Kolin every hit should lead in to a specific sequence of events that's planned out ahead of time and I dislike that kind of playstyle.. I like a more organic and 'off the cuff' style where I'm more reactionary than heavily planned. Of course that's kinda counterintuitive for SFV in general, but I just like to play moment by moment and not think 'ok I landed this and I have one bar so I do this and then this ender then that puts them here so I dash and do this and then I have the exact spacing to do this other thing and then I do it so I have frame advantage to do this and then they have to guess between this and this' I prefer to say to myself 'ok I hit them with a KERMBO and they fell the fuck over, I'ma dash up and meaty this sumbitch or maybe read a reversal then I'll figure out what to do after that's

Shrug.

Learning Kolin would probably be really good for my game though.. but Karin can be played both ways, and a character like Guile, I feel like he personifies that type of play.. Guile seems to be about winning lots of small, short battles rather than one or two sweeping ones.

I know it makes me a bad person but I've never felt, FROM WATCHING HIGH LEVEL PLAY, that Guile was nearly as bad a MU Gief as is portrayed. Yes, I'm speaking purely from observation, but at the higher/est levels of play, I just don't see it as the 8/2 roflstomp that it's widely considered. I watch sets regularly and even the Japanese Guile/Gief masters go pretty tight.

Guile has amazing tools to keep Gief away but one mistake from Guile or solid read from Gief and Gief will run away with the round.

Guile absolutely wins the MU, but his margin for error is very small, very very small, at the highest levels of play. Below that where 99% of gameplay takes.place though, Guile shits on Gief HARD.

I've genuinely felt the same way for a while, but figured if I shared that opinion I'd get blown up for it by someone who's way more familiar with the game. Like you, my opinion is derived purely from observation but I've gone out of my way to watch as much Guile/Gief as possible because it's a really interesting MU and I don't think *at a high level* it's as bad for Gief as some claim.

Ok I think everyone gets it. You're a good ,no great player. Literally I promise we all get it. Instead of reminding everyone every chance you get, how about u use your skill and knowledge to help out the people who genuinely want to get better and up their game? Instead of calling everyone scrubs,bums,trash etc. it would probably help if someone like you would actually take the time to help for a change. I understand that #1 key to getting better can possibly be attitude towards the game and not having an excuse mentality for everything I'm sure everyone needs to work on that themselves. But as far as everything else goes, you're not really helping anyone by showing off vids of you beating top ranked players and boasting while pointing and laughing at the "bad" players. I dunno if you have attempted to help ppl and they just refuse or whatever the case maybe, from what I see in here a lot of the time it's not really much help from you.

-p.s. Almost forgot ." lul"

Don't listen to him Shazzy keep posting your highlights it's all I have to look forward to in this thread.