What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Fuck that dude play whoever you want. I love Karin but if she ends up nerfed and bad, I won't play her. I play a+ characters only for the most part. To me, if I KNOW I'm on a high tier character I can't ever option select a loss as my character being bad. I have to hold every single ass kicking with no stones to hide behind.

As for Kolin, you aren't wrong exactly, but I'm looking for a more traditional fireball type character. So Laura and Chun are out of the running. Kolin is probably the worst possible character archetype for me honestly. I may be wrong, but I feel like she's all about setups. As Kolin every hit should lead in to a specific sequence of events that's planned out ahead of time and I dislike that kind of playstyle.. I like a more organic and 'off the cuff' style where I'm more reactionary than heavily planned. Of course that's kinda counterintuitive for SFV in general, but I just like to play moment by moment and not think 'ok I landed this and I have one bar so I do this and then this ender then that puts them here so I dash and do this and then I have the exact spacing to do this other thing and then I do it so I have frame advantage to do this and then they have to guess between this and this' I prefer to say to myself 'ok I hit them with a KERMBO and they fell the fuck over, I'ma dash up and meaty this sumbitch or maybe read a reversal then I'll figure out what to do after that's

Shrug.

Learning Kolin would probably be really good for my game though.. but Karin can be played both ways, and a character like Guile, I feel like he personifies that type of play.. Guile seems to be about winning lots of small, short battles rather than one or two sweeping ones.

Yeah that's pretty much what kolin is. Setups for dayss. Yeah i wish there was a female wtih traditional fireball gameplay because i want to get into that aspect of the game but nobody appeals to me in that regard
Don't listen to him Shazzy keep posting your highlights it's all I have to look forward to in this thread.
Lol the highlights are fine. The constant bashing of bad players and prop fishing is kinda lame sauce. He's funny af though so there is some good to it haha

I know it makes me a bad person but I've never felt, FROM WATCHING HIGH LEVEL PLAY, that Guile was nearly as bad a MU Gief as is portrayed. Yes, I'm speaking purely from observation, but at the higher/est levels of play, I just don't see it as the 8/2 roflstomp that it's widely considered. I watch sets regularly and even the Japanese Guile/Gief masters go pretty tight.

Guile has amazing tools to keep Gief away but one mistake from Guile or solid read from Gief and Gief will run away with the round.

Guile absolutely wins the MU, but his margin for error is very small, very very small, at the highest levels of play. Below that where 99% of gameplay takes.place though, Guile shits on Gief HARD.
Guile Vs Gief is 8-2?

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Why do you only play female characters,m
Simply cause they're usually a ton of fun. I don't play fighting games for money,props,tournament wins, etc. I only play them for fun. Like i will use male characters here and there(in mkx i used sub,shinnok,raiden,leatherface) but in sf i genuinely am not interested in one single male character. Maybe in the future but rn im all about Kolin/Cammy/Ibuki

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Simply cause they're usually a ton of fun. I don't play fighting games for money,props,tournament wins, etc. I only play them for fun. Like i will use male characters here and there(in mkx i used sub,shinnok,raiden,leatherface) but in sf i genuinely am not interested in one single male character. Maybe in the future but rn im all about Kolin/Cammy/Ibuki
Fair enough.

I often end up on female characters because I tend to prefer fast, tricky and mobile characters and by and large, every female that pops up in a game fits that archetype to one degree or another.

Steven_a

Light Bringer
Not even dat boi Urine?

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
think my stick is on its way out for real this time years of kbd and wave dash turned my stick into fucking mush. Impossible to play when both down backs stick for like 2 frames and you get raped by jump ins every 2 seconds.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
the Myles had spoken the matter is settled lul

whatever balances changes happen next week I wish they would adjust the game's input lag to at least 3f

oh and this month is supposed to be the big cfn update huh

Last edited:

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
I know I've said Juri beats Guile but after playing most of the Juris in America and the best juri eu (lul) the matchup is evenish

it doesn't feel right to say tbh but since I'll never be able to play against my own Juri we'll never know what the matchup is at the truly highest level oh well lul

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I don't think it's 8-2 but it's def not good for gief. Guile controls the match. Gief has to get lucky enough to jump at the right time or close the gap with unsafe movement. I've only seen Itazan make it look even close to 5-5.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
missing the point

and there's a lot more nuance to the matchup than "gief gets a lucky jump in" while ignoring the nature of the game and is exactly what I mean when people discuss Guile as a character lul

anyways what I'm saying is if gief, a character with worse mobility, overall worse answers in neutral to get in on Guile, and riskier options than your character has a solid chance in the matchup - can people stop whining about Guile lul

Last edited:

EntropicByDesign

Who keeps saying its impossible though for Zangief? All I am hearing here is he said, she said but no sources or anything.

Don't get me wrong, I know commentators and personalities aren't gospel on anything, but I've watched several sets where the commentators talk about the match being HUGELY in Guiles favor. They don't put numbers to it but it's obvious from how they're saying it that they aren't claiming a 6/4 advantage. I hear 'almost impossible for Gief' from at least SOMEONE every time I see a commentated match between the two GS. I can't remember the guys name, bit Itazan vs the Guile in Japan that crapped on Diago and that little crew, his name escapes me.. but he and Itazan played and the English commentary mentioned more than once how it was almost impossible for Gief and Itazan was simply beyond godlike because he could bring it even and win. (He did win if I remember right), that's one specific source you might be able to track down if you wanted to see where some of my feeling that people think it's 7/3 or worse comes from.

And this is ABSOLUTELY not a real source, but watch any stream chat when the MU happens, that's a good snapshot of the community's ephemeral body and mindset on a given MU.

Also, SAWNIC BEWMMMMM.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
missing the point

and there's a lot more nuance to the matchup than "gief gets a lucky jump in" while ignoring the nature of the game and is exactly what I mean when people discuss Guile as a character lul

anyways what I'm saying is if gief, a character with worse mobility, overall worse answers in neutral to get in on Guile, and riskier options than your character has a solid chance in the matchup - can people stop whining about Guile lul
I think you have to look at each matchup individually. While gief might have the worst options for closing ground on guile, he also has many decent options to deal with guile's up close stuff. Slow boom into empty jump mixups don't work due to lariat. Gief also with the most health in the game. So, even though its bad for gief, there's redeeming aspects that other characters don't have.

EntropicByDesign

I'll get you on the right team one of these days. Until they nerf him and we move on to the (hopefully) buffed akuma.
What do you think Akuma needs? Legit asking. I love him as a character and have a lot of lab time on him, but in a game who's meta is based around a touch into a guess into stun, hyper low life and stun characters struggle. Karin and Cammy get by (I don't think Cammy is as good as the sort of general opinion of her.. but she's still strong) on tools.. Karin has one of the best neutrals in the game with quite good range on her normals and some trickery with her rekkas and pressure, several ways to gap close and she can output a ton of damage and stun very quickly. Great walk speed and mobility in general. Cammy has dumb pressure and crazy mobility. Long range normals and best or second best (I don't know if Vega is faster?), Really solid damage and terrifying tick throw game. So they make up for low life with mobility and range and damage.. I don't list Oki and post-kd pressure because, honestly, fucking everyone had Oki and post KD pressure. It's a thing that any relevant character has in spades. Some characters have it in excess,like Laura, but almost everyone is good in this regard.

Akuma though.. I don't know. On paper he seems to have everything.. his normals are short-ish but he can fish a little with FP. His damage is quite good, he has a decent fireball and a good jump with demons being useful in a number of ways.. lots of tools and options and ways to pick and choose how he ends and behind his offense, f+FP is sexy. Pretty damn good + frames on a lot of his stuff and on and on.

Is it purely lack of mobility that holds him back? When I play Karin I feel like I can poke and peck and try to engage and then back out when it doesn't work right, but on Akuma I feel like I really have to commit more and once I'm in (which can be tricky) if I can't make it work I don't have an easy time of escaping and trying to reset the situation.