What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Getting a feel for Kolin Kaepernick. She's... interesting. Her jump arc is strange. Always looks like she is going to cross up but it never does (unless you press lk very late). Could lead to some super ambiguous setups on knockdown. She can also use her d+MK (icicle stomp) in the air to bait DP's. b+HK has really good range and appears to be a mid. It can be cancelled into v-trigger or CA. st.LK is her furthest normal that can be cancelled into a special. st.MP has almost as much range as st.LK.

Last edited:
Getting a feel for Kolin Kaepernick. She's... interesting. Her jump arc is strange. Always looks like she is going to cross up but it never does (unless you press lk very late). Could lead to some super ambiguous setups on knockdown. She can also use her d+MK (icicle stomp) in the air to bait DP's. b+HK has really good range and appears to be a mid. It can be cancelled into v-trigger or CA. st.LK is her furthest normal that can be cancelled into a special. st.MP has almost as much range as st.LK.
Does she have a projectile? How many bars is her vtrigger?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Is anyone else having incredibly long loading times since the patch? Like loading in to training mode, Kolin's story mode, etc is taking a LONG time for me. (on pc)

EntropicByDesign

Sigh. Just CLOSING out of a mode is taking me close to a minute in some instances.. WTH. Im sure they will roll out a patch to fix it in a few days and the game will be down all day again. Sigh.

Any way,

Kolin is interesting.. I'll give her that. I just got a chance to sit in training mode with her for maybe 20m or so. Wasnt looking for tech just going through her moves and her TCs and such.. So far I'm not a fan. I can see where people would be, but to me, she looks clunky and her animations are odd and heavy.. not in a good way. She seems very TC heavy as well, unless I missed something, her mediums dont seem to link to anything unless they were used in the rekka-like string off her MK dash or are already part of a TC. Nothing hugely wrong with that, but I like a more freestyle approach to links like Ibuki or Karin have. Ibuki has TCs obviously, but she also has more open links, other than it being easier to hit confirm open links, I guess its just preference. I also think it looks WONKY when she hits a crouching opponent with the ice daggers. Just looks weird as hell how they kinda bounce around.

Her damage off her really basic stuff isnt horrible.. Some of it isnt great but she can spend a bar for the ice dagger launch thing and air throw follow-up and that's respectable. So is her TC stuff off MK dash but it remains to be seen how useful that will all be in the end.

Her parrys though.. Hit like a damn truck. Ex parry is odd.. It only catches OHs? Am I right in that? I did a quick test with Bison and it seems like everything stuffed it except jump-ins. That's kinda disappointing for a bar. 240 damage is a shit ton granted, but you'll need to KNOW they are going to hit a button, otherwise you lose a bar and possibly health - I havent checked recovery or anything. Otherwise the parrys are kind of run of the mill, you have one for OHs, one for lows and one for mids. No overlap either from what i could tell. Each strength only catches one type of button. Still though, potentially quite dangerous and its ALWAYS been a source of fun and hype in fighting games to parry your opponent and watch them eat shit.180 damage is really nice too.

Meh, just some early thoughts. I havent messed with any 'tech' yet at all or explored extended combos or anything like that. She can cancel things in to medium ice ball and dash +step to push them in to it, forcing a block on wakeup or they eat the ice ball, but I didnt do any real testing to see about back roll, or slow rise, blah blah, and it cuts pretty heavily in to your damage, which isnt great to begin with.

EntropicByDesign

@JJvercetti I cant remember.. Are you located in the US or EU? If you decide to step away from SFV for real, hit me up, maybe we can both find a new game and spend some time learning it. I'm just not finding my footing with SFV but the issues and bullshit is grinding me down. I may step away for a few weeks and see if this March patch makes any meaningful changes.

Sigh. Just CLOSING out of a mode is taking me close to a minute in some instances.. WTH. Im sure they will roll out a patch to fix it in a few days and the game will be down all day again. Sigh.

Any way,

Kolin is interesting.. I'll give her that. I just got a chance to sit in training mode with her for maybe 20m or so. Wasnt looking for tech just going through her moves and her TCs and such.. So far I'm not a fan. I can see where people would be, but to me, she looks clunky and her animations are odd and heavy.. not in a good way. She seems very TC heavy as well, unless I missed something, her mediums dont seem to link to anything unless they were used in the rekka-like string off her MK dash or are already part of a TC. Nothing hugely wrong with that, but I like a more freestyle approach to links like Ibuki or Karin have. Ibuki has TCs obviously, but she also has more open links, other than it being easier to hit confirm open links, I guess its just preference. I also think it looks WONKY when she hits a crouching opponent with the ice daggers. Just looks weird as hell how they kinda bounce around.

Her damage off her really basic stuff isnt horrible.. Some of it isnt great but she can spend a bar for the ice dagger launch thing and air throw follow-up and that's respectable. So is her TC stuff off MK dash but it remains to be seen how useful that will all be in the end.

Her parrys though.. Hit like a damn truck. Ex parry is odd.. It only catches OHs? Am I right in that? I did a quick test with Bison and it seems like everything stuffed it except jump-ins. That's kinda disappointing for a bar. 240 damage is a shit ton granted, but you'll need to KNOW they are going to hit a button, otherwise you lose a bar and possibly health - I havent checked recovery or anything. Otherwise the parrys are kind of run of the mill, you have one for OHs, one for lows and one for mids. No overlap either from what i could tell. Each strength only catches one type of button. Still though, potentially quite dangerous and its ALWAYS been a source of fun and hype in fighting games to parry your opponent and watch them eat shit.180 damage is really nice too.

Meh, just some early thoughts. I havent messed with any 'tech' yet at all or explored extended combos or anything like that. She can cancel things in to medium ice ball and dash +step to push them in to it, forcing a block on wakeup or they eat the ice ball, but I didnt do any real testing to see about back roll, or slow rise, blah blah, and it cuts pretty heavily in to your damage, which isnt great to begin with.
Cr mp links into st mk.

There's 3 different ex parrys depending on buttons one for air/mid/low. Same for her ex dashes.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
P sure it depends what punch buttons you use: triple and/or mp+fp is the "high" parry, lp+fp is the mid and lp+mp the low. Or something like that, not playing right now to 100% confirm.

Edit: Oh god slow af. I swear to gawd the last ten comments didn't load for me when I refreshed lol.

@JJvercetti I cant remember.. Are you located in the US or EU? If you decide to step away from SFV for real, hit me up, maybe we can both find a new game and spend some time learning it. I'm just not finding my footing with SFV but the issues and bullshit is grinding me down. I may step away for a few weeks and see if this March patch makes any meaningful changes.
I'm from the UK so I am not sure if there are any games. I hardly play this game as it is (only to do the missions, and new character tryouts) I am waiting for Tekken 7 though but that is far away.