What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Whenever I lose to people doing stuff like that I just accept that I wasn't good enough to teach them why it's wrong.
This right here. Every time I get hit by a dumb jump in/move/etc, I know I just failed to show the other guy why to NOT do it. And now I gotta be on the look out.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Mika being toptier does not = "characters" and now Laura being toptier does not also mean " characters".

Literally every character with a meterless dp was toptier in season 1
With the exception of Ryu (for the moment) all the characters that lost meterless DPs are still top tier

Nash was top tier without a reversal and S2 Balrog is top tier.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
With the exception of Ryu (for the moment) all the characters that lost meterless DPs are still top tier

Nash was top tier without a reversal and S2 Balrog is top tier.
Nash went from best character in the game to upper mid tier, basically not in the same tier as Cammy, Necalli, Ken and Ryu were and who even knows where Balrog or Ryu is now

Apparently Alioune thinks Guile with about as many bad matchups as Boxer is equal to Cammy a character with no bad matchups ya that makes sense nice tier list. I agree with the lower part that Alex is probably the worst in the game but the rest idc

Last edited:

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'm an old school player, grew up in the ST days. I know it's antiquated, but we didn't have ways to open people up with frame traps like SFV. It was all read/react based. Slower, yes, but felt fair. Now it's like once your turn is over, it's not really over. SFV is just frustrating to me and has lost it's appeal. I'm pretty disillusioned with it, pretty disappointed with it, and to be honest, I regret buying it.
Meaty fireball on wake-up is one of the most classic of frame traps...Tick throw is a frame trap (kinda). Top level ST now utilized frame traps a good deal.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I don't know whether SFV is more balanced now or whether it's just a fresh top tier with some old faces
Urien is the only character I can think of that may potentially not have bad matchups. Other than that, I can't think of a character without a problem matchup.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
I had a long post written up that was fairly hateful but in the end, it's not worth it. The fact that you all define a DPs risk/reward being the damage it does vs the damage you get off a CC punish shows to me that you either massively misunderstand what is happening around you, or you're arguing for the sake of it, and further, the fact that no one has acknowledged that I've said in just about every post on this subject that I've made, that I didn't feel DPS were op, or an issue in and of themselves, merely the fact that there was significant margin between the haves and the have nots. But no one argues this, they choose to insult my play and run their mouths, insinuating that I have an issue with DPS because I'm bad. I am bad, and it has zero reason to do with random DPS being a stupid mechanic.

But, in the end, they are changed, so no more scrub crutch I CAN'T THINK SO ILL DP bullshit. Too bad, so sad that that's no longer an issue.

It's less hype when watching tournaments I guess, but it's equivalent to throw loops and the idea that that is a next level amazing mind game when it's not.. it's simply a willful removal of oneself from mind games. It's a conscious decision to say 'the other person is relying on logic and prediction and preset rules to make decisions, I will defeat this by simply denying the inherent mindgame and opting out of it entirely' and this *IS* an intelligent thing to do and it works when used carefully and with restraint.. but it's not a next level thinking 6 steps ahead thing , it's simply not thinking at all and hoping that the purely illogical nature will win out vs the logic at play on the other side. The 'ume-shoryu' is this in a nutshell. Screaming DEE GOD DAMN PEEEEEE in the neutral trying to catch buttons is the same thing.

Shazzy seems to understand the meaning of risk/reward at least.
The risk is it is hella unsafe and can be cc for big damage. The reward was a free get off me button for pressure. As for the mid screen dps in that vid yeah they look crazy but light dp is 3 frames and throw Invincible and giefs fastest button is 4 frames i think. Is it risky hell yeah but its fast. Again risk reward not in kens favour. If its blocked he gets damaged bad for it.Dont forget s1 ken beats gief free as well.

Last edited:

portent

Noob
Meaty fireball on wake-up is one of the most classic of frame traps...Tick throw is a frame trap (kinda). Top level ST now utilized frame traps a good deal.
Yeah, it's a frame trap but again, not the same as today's built in frame traps. Can't explain it, it's just very different, and different is not always good. I guess it's really just a lost cause on me because I'm so damn old and don't like it.

Sorry I even brought it up. Carry on with your game guys, I won't say another word about it and you won't see me playing it. It's my problem, not yours, LOL.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Yeah, it's a frame trap but again, not the same as today's built in frame traps. Can't explain it, it's just very different, and different is not always good. I guess it's really just a lost cause on me because I'm so damn old and don't like it.

Sorry I even brought it up. Carry on with your game guys, I won't say another word about it and you won't see me playing it. It's my problem, not yours, LOL.
I actually think I get where you're coming from and even agree too. Again, way too bad to be blaming anything on characters if it sounds like I am but every time I get matched with a Cammy in ranked and it at least seems to me like I have to hold every fucking consecutive normal ever thrown on block all fuckin day I wonder who tf thought that shit wasn't dumb.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
What are the benefits of backdashing on wakeup?

I nearly never do it, as it's not invincible and gets crush countered. Seems to me like if you read a command grab, you should just neutral jump. And if you read a regular throw, you should just jump OS tech. Yet, I see a lot of good players back dashing? I feel like I'm missing something.

Only thing I can think of is that some characters can make the regular throws whiff and get an actual punish, whereas the jump tech OS would just get you out of there. Seems like quite a risky read though, given the CC possibility.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
What are the benefits of backdashing on wakeup?

I nearly never do it, as it's not invincible and gets crush countered. Seems to me like if you read a command grab, you should just neutral jump. And if you read a regular throw, you should just jump OS tech. Yet, I see a lot of good players back dashing? I feel like I'm missing something.

Only thing I can think of is that some characters can make the regular throws whiff and get an actual punish, whereas the jump tech OS would just get you out of there. Seems like quite a risky read though, given the CC possibility.
I don't know. I back dash on wake up with Zangief if I'm getting light or medium harassed because I'm hoping for an air reset into SPD punish.