What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

https://clips.twitch.tv/nychrisg/BlushingSquirrelKappaClaus

Chris g on the guile - ryu matchup sounds familiar idk
If you wanna know what the best player in the world thinks look no further than when du plays vs ryus. Which character does he pick? The Mika that's pretty much 5-5 and just a stronger character? Or the guile whose inarguably a weaker character than Mika but might have a better matchup?

Chris g can and has been wrong before. He's also a huge excuse maker. If I wanna know what top players actually think i watch what they do with money on the line, not when they're making excuses on stream for prides sake.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
If you wanna know what the best player in the world thinks look no further than when du plays vs ryus. Which character does he pick? The Mika that's pretty much 5-5 and just a stronger character? Or the guile whose inarguably a weaker character than Mika but might have a better matchup?

Chris g can and has been wrong before. He's also a huge excuse maker. If I wanna know what top players actually think i watch what they do with money on the line, not when they're making excuses on stream for prides sake.
Referencing a tournament set outcome doesn't decide matchups either du has shown to make judgement call in the past based on the player history or thematchup it doesn't mean much. If both Guile and Mika go even with ryu then it's just preference and guess which character tokido and daigo play less on a level like du's? Hint: it's the character that didn't place 2nd evo used by the guy they're best friends with.

Chris g doesn't take online seriously and he shouldn't. he plays random characters all the time I really doubt he cares about losing to bums in this terrible netcode to just straight up lie. Anybody would get upset by playing a game in these conditions, it doesn't mean he'll just make matchups up out of the air.. I mean if you want i can just ask him in private in a few days but where will you move the goalposts to then then lul. I don't even think he lost to the ryu someone in the stream chat just said something dumb

Last edited:
@FL Rushdown
DP into super, I used to be able to do it consistently then all of a sudden I cant Lol.
Do you just mash it as in doing both inputs as fast as you can churning or do you do it fast but not churn it?

For me DP into super is the same as doing DP then fireball motion + attack button pretty quickly.
Yea that's how I do it, just dp motion then QCF (fireball) motion really fast since the dp motion counts as the first qcf of the super but for some reason I cant get it since a couple days ago. Weird. How the hell could I UN-learn it? Talk about being a scrub lol

How good is Urien right now? Gonna pick up the rest of the S1 characters soon (I only have Guile and Juri) and he looks really interesting.

plus I know he's getting buffed super hard and I want in on that

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
just like I thought, Chris g wasn't making any excuses to save face like bumdown try to paint him because it would fit his agenda. Chris bodied some super diamond ryu (one that actually rage quit on me too the other day lul) and some bumdown jr in the chat says " well it's one of ryu's hardest matchups so blah bleh"

All Chris was doing was real-talking the chat saying almost exactly what i said in this thread a few weeks ago

https://clips.twitch.tv/nychrisg/AmusedBearTheRinger

This is common sense stuff but of course bumdown thinks we're equals or something and tries to argue like he has literally any ground to stand on and I can't be bothered to hold his hand anymore talking about this game so pls leave me alone lul

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
How good is Urien right now? Gonna pick up the rest of the S1 characters soon (I only have Guile and Juri) and he looks really interesting.

plus I know he's getting buffed super hard and I want in on that
To expand on that slightly, because Im bored..

Urien has a great Vtrigger. It never fails to have *some* value, on hit or block and you can use it in a huge number of ways, from just slowing down the match or getting a breather vs high pressure, to crazy ass double mirror stun combos, to just making throws combo (I dont know why but this is my favorite thing IN THE WORLD).

Urien has good normals. Possibly great normals. Crazy ass range, st.mp is +3 OB, HP +3 if you charge it. lp +2, etc. Good range and good frames. His AA normals are kinda bleh, but he kinda makes up for it in that if he gets an AA with cr.hp or the like it converts to nice damage.

Urien has a reasonable fireball. Its nice. You can charge it to screw up timings and add a second hit, you can shoot it up in the air which makes you look like a goddamn pro when you smack someone outa the air.. and like an idiot when you just fire one off at the moon or someshit and your opponent stays grounded and stares at you and is like 'Nah, I aint even gonna punish that, how stupid you look right now is punishment enough'.. 'Nah, just kidding.. SHORYUKEN'

Urien has a banana hammock. Seriously, just using his underwear outfit will help put some people off their guard. In the age of skinny jeans and de-masculanization (I made that word up) its even easier to make the already insecure hoards of internet asshats question their sexuality and choices, there-by inducing rage and confusion. Hilarious antics ensue.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing

He was constantly saying this while using her. Hsien also plays Juri much more different than some of the other known Juri players, so he likely sees something a lot don't.
Alex Valle was saying that months ago, not recently. Everyone was optimistic about Juri until you started looking into the numbers.

It was a story to divert from the fact that he thinks Juri *Gasp* isn't that bad

portent

Noob
Hopefully someone can help me. I've been digging and digging and can't seem to find any reference anywhere to the exact phrase where 5 of the new DLC characters will be completely new to the Street Fighter Universe. I've seen it mentioned multiple times that the characters are 5 completely new characters, but never "completely new to the street fighter universe".

To me this would imply that they're "completely new", but new to what? New to the SFU? New to SFV? Technically, Sagat would be a completely new character to SFV, as would Oro and Sakura.

Likewise, since the SFEX game exist outside the canon of the SFU, technically they'd all be new to the SFU as well, and that final silhouette clearly looks like Garuda. Sodom doesn't have those pants (even in his new CFN profile), it's very clearly Garuda to me. I also think the silhouette before him looks like either Sharon or Blair Dame from the EX series.

NHDR

Noob
With all the Urien talk, he's a character I'm looking to play at length when the patch releases. Guile, Ryu, and Alex, too. I was set on Akuma but have been losing interest due to his average zoning (allegedly) game and very slow normals and dive kicks.

Of course I'll reserve final judgment until the character actually releases, but for the moment I'm lukewarm in general.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Hopefully someone can help me. I've been digging and digging and can't seem to find any reference anywhere to the exact phrase where 5 of the new DLC characters will be completely new to the Street Fighter Universe. I've seen it mentioned multiple times that the characters are 5 completely new characters, but never "completely new to the street fighter universe".

To me this would imply that they're "completely new", but new to what? New to the SFU? New to SFV? Technically, Sagat would be a completely new character to SFV, as would Oro and Sakura.

Likewise, since the SFEX game exist outside the canon of the SFU, technically they'd all be new to the SFU as well, and that final silhouette clearly looks like Garuda. Sodom doesn't have those pants (even in his new CFN profile), it's very clearly Garuda to me. I also think the silhouette before him looks like either Sharon or Blair Dame from the EX series.
I believe they said it at capcom cup when they were revealing akuma gameplay. It might be on their youtube channel but if not, you can only watch it on twitch. You need a paid subscription to watch capcomfighters twitch replays though.

EntropicByDesign

I honestly feel like Hsien picked her up because he believed she'd end up buffed in S2, and possibly because he thought, since no one plays her, that he could eak out an advantage that way.

I've tried to stay optimistic about characters I like (Juri and Ibuki in this case) but its a struggle.. Juri just.. isnt good. I mean, she has stuff, but that stuff doesn't mesh with itself very well. She can do damage, but only in specific circumstances and under specific conditions. Her damage without charge is awful, her normals dont do her any favors in the neutral either.. I dunno. Juri is just.. Janky is the best term i can think of to describe her. She's a weird character, since she has a ton of stuff.. 3fers, DPs, projectile immune stuff, lots and lots of options.

For a long time I think the pervading opinion was 'here is a character that has a ton of different shit, and she's kinda awkward and weird, but I bet we are a tech discovery away from making her really good!' People looked at all these tools and thought 'There is a way this all meshes together and starts to make sense and when we find it, she is going to be really strong' but then no one found it.. because its not there. She really does, to me any way, feel like a character thats 95% done, she just needs something small to make it all work together.

Better damage and/or reward for charges would be nice.. if I have to use a move before I can use a move.. and then once you've used the move your opponent will generally have some idea what you want to do, those moves need to do serious work and I guess I just dont see the value. Its not that they're bad by any means, the low fireball is a nice 'get in' button, but sometimes you literally have to use it then build another charge once your in.. Or sit on it until you get that charge in neutral, then your opponent DEF knows what you're fishing for.. blah blah.

Meh this is turning in to a rant and I dont have the patience for that right now. Moral is, Juri is almost really good, but that almost is the difference in a bottom 10 vs a top 10 placement.,

EntropicByDesign

With all the Urien talk, he's a character I'm looking to play at length when the patch releases. Guile, Ryu, and Alex, too. I was set on Akuma but have been losing interest due to his average zoning (allegedly) game and very slow normals and dive kicks.

Of course I'll reserve final judgment until the character actually releases, but for the moment I'm lukewarm in general.

The game in general cant go wrong with more Uriens and (as much as I hate the son of a bitch) Alex's.

Im still REALLY hype for Akuma. I was kinda sad to read his walk speed was average-ish, but when I saw his BnBs and that he could still combo off light tatsu with HP DP (I dont know why, I just like how it looks/feels) I was sold. No air fireball on neutral or back jump though unless in Vtrigger (I think, someone correct me if Im wrong).. but really, for the overall health of the game that is probably for the best. Everyone who played SFIV knows how obnoxious it was to run in to the idiot Akuma's online who did NOTHING but jump back fireball mindlessly. Some characters could blow them up for it, but for some it was difficult to deal with. No offense to the guys who used it correctly, but for every one of them there were 2-3 that just spammed it mindlessly because they could.

from the vids Ive seen, his stun and damage output is ridiculous and though he does seem to have some slower normals, he has some some low confirms and other stuff that should help make up for it.

My guess is he will be considered broken on release, then weak about a week and a half in, then emerge as very strong, top 10 or better, as the season progresses. I am basing this on the assumption that his frame data is as very good. 875 health, so Im expecting Capcom to compensate the hell out of him, they have done a good job IMO on other low health characters like Cammy and Karin, so my hopes are high. I do hope his demon flip doesnt end up a gimmicky thing that has no real purpose.. I hope we get combos and setups and lots of cool shit out of it.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.

Because if completely new to sfv was all they meant, they need not say "new" at all; "completely new" to an even greater magnitude.

Of course they're not adding characters to sfv that are already in sfv.

I'm sure they'll surprise us, though. Too many people whine and complain and play all the same. All of the new designed characters were awesome. Much better than the additions from 4, imo. I've heard the same pandering for Sagat that I heard for Alex, Karin, etc. And yet of those voices, I'd be willing to bet that 10% at best end up maining that character.

NHDR

Noob
I wonder how relevant his parry will be. Its such a split-second reactionary tool that you cannot absolutely rely on it at any given time. Plus, with his low health every parry will be even more risky.

He still looks solid and may even be fun to play, but all the pro matches I've seen so far have him playing a mid-range poke game just like Ryu. I don't know, its been kind of bland.

-Remove his teleport.
-Give him all his usual fireballs but give them long recovery (i.e. he keeps his options but has to play really smart).

Just like that he has more tools. Or, make his forward dash be his teleport just like Bison has. I don't know, just thinking out loud here. CVS2 and 3S Akuma got it right.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
I wonder how relevant his parry will be. Its such a split-second reactionary tool that you cannot absolutely rely on it at any given time. Plus, with his low health every parry will be even more risky.

He still looks solid and may even be fun to play, but all the pro matches I've seen so far have him playing a mid-range poke game just like Ryu. I don't know, its been kind of bland.

-Remove his teleport.
-Give him all his usual fireballs but give them long recovery (i.e. he keeps his options but has to play really smart).

Just like that he has more tools. Or, make his forward be his teleport just like Bison has. I don't know, just thinking out loud here. CVS2 and 3S Akuma got it right.
Ya think we have a shot at getting Bisons sf4 teleport back?
:DOGE

To expand on that slightly, because Im bored..

Urien has a great Vtrigger. It never fails to have *some* value, on hit or block and you can use it in a huge number of ways, from just slowing down the match or getting a breather vs high pressure, to crazy ass double mirror stun combos, to just making throws combo (I dont know why but this is my favorite thing IN THE WORLD).

Urien has good normals. Possibly great normals. Crazy ass range, st.mp is +3 OB, HP +3 if you charge it. lp +2, etc. Good range and good frames. His AA normals are kinda bleh, but he kinda makes up for it in that if he gets an AA with cr.hp or the like it converts to nice damage.

Urien has a reasonable fireball. Its nice. You can charge it to screw up timings and add a second hit, you can shoot it up in the air which makes you look like a goddamn pro when you smack someone outa the air.. and like an idiot when you just fire one off at the moon or someshit and your opponent stays grounded and stares at you and is like 'Nah, I aint even gonna punish that, how stupid you look right now is punishment enough'.. 'Nah, just kidding.. SHORYUKEN'

Urien has a banana hammock. Seriously, just using his underwear outfit will help put some people off their guard. In the age of skinny jeans and de-masculanization (I made that word up) its even easier to make the already insecure hoards of internet asshats question their sexuality and choices, there-by inducing rage and confusion. Hilarious antics ensue.
Thanks for the hefty response! Comboing into throw is like half the reason I'm interested in him. Those setups are so rad. I spent half of my S1 lab time practicing Guile loops so I need something else that's at least as cool.

Thank you for sharing your dong tech btw, I shall wear only a thong into battle from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:

EntropicByDesign

Thanks for the hefty response! Comboing into throw is like half the reason I'm interested in him. Those setups are so rad. I spent half of my S1 lab time practicing Guile loops so I need something else that's at least as cool.

Thank you for sharing your dong tech btw, I shall wear only a thong into battle from now on.
Excellent. The more scantily clad men in ranked, the better.