What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Also I should have picked Mika from the beginning lol.

See, I say this to myself constantly. I liked her, I just couldn't play her seriously.. I kept getting caught up in just being dumb and tryinf to charge Vskill then dash grab and just silly shit. I knew she was an amazing character, and probably broken, but I never could take her seriously. I look back now in sadness that i missed an entire season of doing whatever the hell I wanted on a character that did just about everything.

portent

Noob
Because if completely new to sfv was all they meant, they need not say "new" at all; "completely new" to an even greater magnitude.

Of course they're not adding characters to sfv that are already in sfv.

I'm sure they'll surprise us, though. Too many people whine and complain and play all the same. All of the new designed characters were awesome. Much better than the additions from 4, imo. I've heard the same pandering for Sagat that I heard for Alex, Karin, etc. And yet of those voices, I'd be willing to bet that 10% at best end up maining that character.
I agree with you, but the problem for me is that I'm skeptical when it comes to things business related and Capcom and NRS related.

In terms of business, especially for a game that did not get a stellar release or stellar sales, why would Capcom bank on completely new characters? All the casuals that play(ed) the game either only bought the first season pass or didn't buy it at all, and casuals are likely not the ones who will grind out the online games to get all the DLC via fightmoney.

So I think it's pretty fair to say that Season 2 DLC is geared more toward the hardcore player than the casual player. That said, however, due to the horrid release of the game, and the expected (and hinted at) addition of single player content like arcade mode, Capcom is clearly looking to get more casual players to jump on board. Why would they bank on brand new characters instead of using at least 50% already established characters to the SFU to bring back a casual crowd? Doesn't make much business sense to me. Why market your new characters to what boils down to a small percentage (the FGC) of customers when you can add in established characters that more casual players are waiting for (and possibly didn't buy the game until said charcter was announced)? NRS followed the 50% rule, and gave us essentially 4 characters in 1, plus Bo, and 2 all new characters. That makes perfect business sense because they're marketing to a larger crowd. It just confuses me why Capcom would bank on this.

In terms of things Capcom and NRS releated. Both companies have master trolls at the helm. Ono even went to lengths to try and fool people into thinking that Akuma isn't being released! If Capcom let that fly, then I see no reason why they wouldn't try to use a vague, "COMPLETELY NEW" tag line strategy to try and draw people in. Also, if the characters are all completely new, why release silhouettes of them? We won't know who they are or have any real point of reference other than the CFN profiles, and some of them are misleading images anyway. So if they are all actually new characters, then we won't actually know who they are, so why not just release all the images up front? Seems like smoke and mirrors to me. Like always, I take anything Capcom and NRS say with a grain of salt because you never know what's misdirection or a flat out lie.

EntropicByDesign

I actually agree, I cannot fathom why Capcom would add all new characters never-before-seen. It is just a very odd business move when returning characters and classic characters could swing by on brand recognition. I will type up more when I get a chance.

I will post thoughts on birdie ASAP as well.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Can't wait for Akuma. Calling him for being one of the best characters based on what I've seen of his toolset. Gonna be repping him and Urien for time to come.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I actually think Capcom is going after casuals and people new to SF in general with season 2. Adding old characters would just be fan service to SF veterans. Adding new characters gives them a chance to appeal to a new audience that might not be interested in the older characters. They also might try to add some crossover appeal with some of their other franchises. Also, it will differentiate it from past games. Kind of like how SF3 had a ton of new characters.

EntropicByDesign

Ok birdman.
What do you guys think of Birdie?

I think he's very solid. Great normals, easy execution (this seems like a minor consideration, but I think it helps everyone to some degree, making conversions in to damage and such off unexpected, stray hits much easier). Great damage. He has a good neutral presence and can function and function well, without ever using a command grab.

Why is not using a command grab a good thing? It means you can play him in a number of ways, and being able to switch out those styles can and will confound opponents and stymie adaptations. SFV, unfortunately, doesn't do a great universal job of allowing characters to play multiple ways or allow multiple styles to flourish 'under one roof'. Birdie seems to be able to kick ass in a number of ways. He can pressure, he can space control and semi-zone, grappler, he has mind games and tricks and silly shit.. He can adapt on several levels.

Shrug, I think he's awesome and he's a solid character. He's not top 5 or anything but he can beat just about any one and some of his shit is SO SATISFYING

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
How did 5 go after casuals? The game released with 0 casual features. No story, no arcade mode, no anything.
Exactly. Only the gameplay was geared towards casuals. Everything else was geared towards tournament players. The game was rushed for capcom cup.

Reactions: GAV

portent

Noob
I actually think Capcom is going after casuals and people new to SF in general with season 2. Adding old characters would just be fan service to SF veterans. Adding new characters gives them a chance to appeal to a new audience that might not be interested in the older characters. They also might try to add some crossover appeal with some of their other franchises. Also, it will differentiate it from past games. Kind of like how SF3 had a ton of new characters.
The entire SF3 series was a commercial failure. 3rd Strike is considered a monumental success in the competitive realm, but the series itself was a commercial failure. That's not to say we don't have some memorable characters that not only have lasting appeal but have generated emotional attachment from that series either, but that still doesn't make the game a commercial success.

The biggest gripe people had with the SF3 series was the overwhelming lack of familiar faces, and the only group that stuck with the series are the hardcore competitive players.

This isn't as much the case in SFV, but I would venture to guess that casuals know who Ken, Ryu, Akuma, Sakura and Sagat are. The latter two are conspicuosly missing from the cast, and are both extremely requested. Likewise, Blanka is iconic, and casuals immediately recognize him. I fully believe that casuals would be brought back by familiarity, not by intimidating new faces that they don't recognize.

EntropicByDesign

Eh, ok. I dont usually agree with Myles, but he's right here. You all are just

SFV DID go after casuals, they just failed at it so incredibly and thoroughly, we can barely tell. SFV's entire structure is based around making it playable to casual players. They did a lot during the lead-up to release to promote the game FOR casuals. The huge frame delay, the very basic and, by fighting game standards, INSANELY easy execution.. the characters and archetypes.. the game was designed to target casuals and get them interested. The whole thing is easy to step in to, hard to master.

They just released it 3-6 months too early with no features FOR those casuals.. They just friggen shit on everything they did from the outset. Making a 'triple a' game like a Street Fighter title and targeting the tournament crowd is like profit suicide.. we think the bubble we operate in is a big deal but it's EXTREMELY tiny and in absolutely no way profitable in the way a company like Capcom wants/needs a thing to be profitable. Hell even the tournament-centric stuff is there because having the competitive side of things brings in CASUALS and ideally, converts them to competitive players.. sponsors don't care about the 1% of 1% or whatever the % actually is, of sales to tournament player..

Capcom failed miserably to deliver a casual experience, but they WERE trying to snd stated so many times during development.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
I agree with you, but the problem for me is that I'm skeptical when it comes to things business related and Capcom and NRS related.

In terms of business, especially for a game that did not get a stellar release or stellar sales, why would Capcom bank on completely new characters? All the casuals that play(ed) the game either only bought the first season pass or didn't buy it at all, and casuals are likely not the ones who will grind out the online games to get all the DLC via fightmoney.

So I think it's pretty fair to say that Season 2 DLC is geared more toward the hardcore player than the casual player. That said, however, due to the horrid release of the game, and the expected (and hinted at) addition of single player content like arcade mode, Capcom is clearly looking to get more casual players to jump on board. Why would they bank on brand new characters instead of using at least 50% already established characters to the SFU to bring back a casual crowd? Doesn't make much business sense to me. Why market your new characters to what boils down to a small percentage (the FGC) of customers when you can add in established characters that more casual players are waiting for (and possibly didn't buy the game until said charcter was announced)? NRS followed the 50% rule, and gave us essentially 4 characters in 1, plus Bo, and 2 all new characters. That makes perfect business sense because they're marketing to a larger crowd. It just confuses me why Capcom would bank on this.

In terms of things Capcom and NRS releated. Both companies have master trolls at the helm. Ono even went to lengths to try and fool people into thinking that Akuma isn't being released! If Capcom let that fly, then I see no reason why they wouldn't try to use a vague, "COMPLETELY NEW" tag line strategy to try and draw people in. Also, if the characters are all completely new, why release silhouettes of them? We won't know who they are or have any real point of reference other than the CFN profiles, and some of them are misleading images anyway. So if they are all actually new characters, then we won't actually know who they are, so why not just release all the images up front? Seems like smoke and mirrors to me. Like always, I take anything Capcom and NRS say with a grain of salt because you never know what's misdirection or a flat out lie.
I honestly don't know. They could be burying the lead. But I find it hard to believe there is this huge populace of sagat and Sakura mains that didn't buy because their old main isn't in and putting them in would bring them back for season 2. I can't PERSONALLY think of anyone from 4 or 3 that i would rather see than necalli, Rashid, etc. I played Hakan and Seth in 4 and I don't even care that they're not in 5. In a way I'm glad to be learning someone different from what I was used to.