What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

Aramonde

Noob
GGs @FL Rushdown and @Rip Torn

I hate Ryu so bad. Rushdown playing against your Ryu & Nash is like playing against mkx Liu Kang cancel pressure. I cant do shit or i'll get hit. I also dont get how you guys AA cross up's so easy. By the time i can react to your jump your halfway over me and Flash Kick whiffs 90% of the time. Maybe my reactions are just ass.

Rip had fun playing your Rashid. Those games were super close. Near the end your Ryu was looking like Rushdown's and i wouldn't have won anymore after that.

Just when you think your getting better you guy who are good and get lit up like a Christmas tree -_-

GG's! Nice Ryu. I wanted to use Ryu too but I don't like to mirror match, plus mine is brand new and I would have got the spanking. Wish we could have played more, I was just starting to warm up.
yeah sorry I had to get some sleep, gotta work early. We can play again sometime though. As for the mirror.... Ryu vs Ryu is probably my favorite matchup in street fighter.

I hate Ryu so bad. Rushdown playing against your Ryu & Nash is like playing against mkx Liu Kang cancel pressure. I cant do shit or i'll get hit. I also dont get how you guys AA cross up's so easy. By the time i can react to your jump your halfway over me and Flash Kick whiffs 90% of the time. Maybe my reactions are just ass.

Rip had fun playing your Rashid. Those games were super close. Near the end your Ryu was looking like Rushdown's and i wouldn't have won anymore after that.

Just when you think your getting better you guy who are good and get lit up like a Christmas tree -_-
eh. I was just playing pretty abusive. Anytime I pressed a button after st lk I was stealing a turn. Lk is -2 on block so you can jab check me when I go for shenanigans after. Same with b hk, it's not my turn if you block it its +/- 0 on block, press jab and worst that happens is we trade lights.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.

You ARE getting better. I get so impatient with Guile zoning when I'm using Rashid. I really don't like that MU. You did a good job at forcing me to respect the flash kick and ex boom/vskill boom. I feel much more comfortable with Ryu. At least I can nullify some of your zoning with fireballs/parry. If I read a boom, hurricane kick is much more reliable to punish. Same with jumping over a boom.

I think you just need to work on your combos at this point. Like whatever his crazy v-trigger combos are and his corner combos with HP into boom into cr. MP boom. I know they are pretty difficult, but it's going to make a huge difference in your damage output.

yeah sorry I had to get some sleep, gotta work early. We can play again sometime though. As for the mirror.... Ryu vs Ryu is probably my favorite matchup in street fighter.
Yeah, shoto mirrors are kind of interesting. I just didn't want to get outclassed by your Ryu. I've only been using him for a few days and mostly in training mode.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
29:06 ImStillDaDaddy vs Ryan Hart: Watch the anti-airs and watch the disregard for it because they mean nothing
I didn't watch the whole thing but Ryan Hart lost that first match my dude. So all I see is Ryan getting outplayed by very clean anti airs and losing.

Daigo 3-35 anti-airing divekicks. That's 8.5%. If this were baseball, he'd be a .085 hitter. Daigo the scrub.
Didn't watch the whole thing here either. I see Cammy doing her thing. Play footsies then EX divekick while Daigo presses buttons or throws a fireball. Isn't that her design for a while? I'm sure there's footage everywhere of people getting hit by divekick and stuffing dive kick. As well as footage of ryu players anti airing plenty since the game came out.

Since when has it ever been ok to try and use one match as some example for how the game works? Especially while people still change up who's better than who.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I didn't watch the whole thing but Ryan Hart lost that first match my dude. So all I see is Ryan getting outplayed by very clean anti airs and losing.

Didn't watch the whole thing here either. I see Cammy doing her thing. Play footsies then EX divekick while Daigo presses buttons or throws a fireball. Isn't that her design for a while? I'm sure there's footage everywhere of people getting hit by divekick and stuffing dive kick. As well as footage of ryu players anti airing plenty since the game came out.

Since when has it ever been ok to try and use one match as some example for how the game works? Especially while people still change up who's better than who.
Ryan Heart was just going ham and jumping in like an idiot. I think he was testing ISDD's ability to lay off the booms. It was painful to watch.

That Daigo match was literally the first Cammy vs. Ryu high level long set that I found. My point was that it's not as easy to aa divekicks while playing footsies. Shazzy makes it sound like you should be aa ex divekicks from Ken and Cammy all day. The reality is that when Ken or Cammy have meter, you are forced to play their game and eat mixups or use v-reversals to get them off.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Ryan Heart was just going ham and jumping in like an idiot. I think he was testing ISDD's ability to lay off the booms. It was painful to watch.

That Daigo match was literally the first Cammy vs. Ryu high level long set that I found. My point was that it's not as easy to aa divekicks while playing footsies. Shazzy makes it sound like you should be aa ex divekicks from Ken and Cammy all day. The reality is that when Ken or Cammy have meter, you are forced to play their game and eat mixups or use v-reversals to get them off.
OK I see what you're saying. Yeah trying to anti air a cammy or even a Ken with a good sense of timing is difficult. Like playing neutral with a good ryu or nash that can mixup up their movement.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
I can't think of character as free to V-reversal as Juri. If you know they are going to V-reversal you get a throw that will reset neutral which is what they wanted anyway.. why is she helping the opponent?

thats how the game works though. Ryu vs cammy is a matchup that is decided by spacing and meter usage. Cammy without meter gets bullied by Ryu, cammy with meter has a chance to get in and get her damage. As a Ryu player when I see them get the bar they usually change their play style and try and get in with ex moves. You CAN as the ex dive but it's gotta be on a read. I don't think cammy getting to dictate the pace of the match when she has bar is bad design, I think it's intentional and I enjoy the tense moments it creates. Ryu doesn't want to throw fireballs because he can be punished hard, cammy doesn't want to just jump in on Ryu when he's being patient because she will waste the bar and her 900 hp body is fragile. It's good design imo.

Edit. That's also easily one of my favorite matchups since their tools work very well to negate each other's options.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Myles makes me want to buy Juri just to see why he's making all this fuss.

Edit. That's also easily one of my favorite matchups since their tools work very well to negate each other's options.
That MU was really fun actually. The back and forth and constant waiting/anticipation is tense. But Cammy is just way too plain for me. It's why I play Mika and F.A.N.G. one goes crazy in your face and the other is just weird everywhere else in the match. Bison V-trigger is probably the most fun thing in the game to me.

hes making all this fuss because he's unable to understand that it's him that causes the character to lose, not the other way around.

Myles has a lot more to work on than juri does We all could improve 10 fold and still not be playing our characters to their peak potential.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
OK I see what you're saying. Yeah trying to anti air a cammy or even a Ken with a good sense of timing is difficult. Like playing neutral with a good ryu or nash that can mixup up their movement.
Yeah, that's pretty much the point I was trying to make.

Here, Infiltration does a little better, using Alex's ex knee to aa on reaction. He couldn't really get jab to work, usually trading when attempting to aa.

I lost track at some point but my final count was somewhere in the 8 for 38 range with at least 3 of those 8 being trades. 1 was a parry, which probably shouldn't even count as an aa, but whatever. When you watch the video, you can clearly see that Xiao Hai is having his way 75% of the match.

Yeah, that's pretty much the point I was trying to make.

Here, Infiltration does a little better, using Alex's ex knee to aa on reaction. He couldn't really get jab to work, usually trading when attempting to aa.

I lost track at some point but my final count was somewhere in the 8 for 38 range with at least 3 of those 8 being trades. 1 was a parry, which probably shouldn't even count as an aa, but whatever. When you watch the video, you can clearly see that Xiao Hai is having his way 75% of the match.
Yea if AA's were 100% reactable and didn't depend on timing or space then it wouldn't be as great a game as SF 5 is. At least we have good AA's. I think were on the same page here. Also who's your character?

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Yea if AA's were 100% reactable and didn't depend on timing or space then it wouldn't be as great a game as SF 5 is. At least we have good AA's. I think were on the same page here. Also who's your character?
I play Rashid but trying to drop him for Ryu. Yeah we are on the same page. I just posted that video in the reply because I didn't want to do 2 posts. I agree Cammy is too plain. I played her in the Beta. There's not much bad about the character except her health. But Rashid only has 50 more health and nowhere near the dirt of Cammy.

SFV is a mixed bag when it comes to aa's. Some characters have quite a few while others only have 1-2 that only work at select ranges. I can't count how many times I spaced out a perfect cr.MP and Ken's jumping HP just goes right over it and beats me clean.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
the point of most air specials is to alter your jump so as to specifically beat or get around certain aas? that's one of their their strengths. I'm sorry it's not a free aa every time?

the moving is working as intended. what am i missing here? Nerf cammy? Plus frames for a bar? Come on.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
the point of most air specials is to alter your jump so as to specifically beat or get around certain aas? that's one of their their strengths. I'm sorry it's not a free aa every time?

the moving is working as intended. what am i missing here? Nerf cammy? Plus frames for a bar? Come on.
The whole point of the discussion was that + on block divekicks are kind of dumb. Why can't they be punishable without meter and safe for a bar, like Rashid? Or at least make them space it a little better to be safe. Right now, with Ken and Cammy, it just seems a little too good.

The whole point of the discussion was that + on block divekicks are kind of dumb. Why can't they be punishable without meter and safe for a bar, like Rashid? Or at least make them space it a little better to be safe. Right now, with Ken and Cammy, it just seems a little too good.
but they're not dumb, plenty of characters can spend a bar to get plus frames it's a pretty common mechanic. Even if you don't aa Ken/cammys kick you just gotta stop 1 mixup, they're basically spending resources(on a bet since its punishable on read) to make you guess frametrap or throw(and outside the corner and at a decent life total that's not a hard decision to make).

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
So if anti-airs are good according to you two, is jumping bad in SFV?
thats not how the relationships between anti-airs and jump in's work in fighters. Jumping should always lose to a player waiting for it, but this doesn't make them "bad" because they should also punish certain button's pressed on the correct read, or at the very least get you in 9 times out of 10 against the less punishable things you can make whiff by jumping, and they are also a valuable movement tool, especially out of AA range. I'd say they work exactly as intended and are really balanced in this game as far as I've seen. Don't look at it as though "can get anti-aired? jumping must be bad. Can't get anti-aired? jumping good" because that's not the measure

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
but they're not dumb, plenty of characters can spend a bar to get plus frames it's a pretty common mechanic. Even if you don't aa Ken/cammys kick you just gotta stop 1 mixup, they're basically spending resources(on a bet since its punishable on read) to make you guess frametrap or throw(and outside the corner and at a decent life total that's not a hard decision to make).
Usually you have to get in before you can get those plus frames. Cammy and Ken can jump from quite a distance and ex divekick and they are in. Combined with their footsies and walk speed/run, it's a bit overboard. I think it's a big factor as to why they are considered really good characters.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
hes making all this fuss because he's unable to understand that it's him that causes the character to lose, not the other way around.

Myles has a lot more to work on than juri does We all could improve 10 fold and still not be playing our characters to their peak potential.
Until I hear Infiltration and Sakos opinion on her I am convinced she's bad. If they say otherwise then my opinion has changed

The fuss is the struggle. Capcom have given her a walkspeed and 10 extra dmg on throws like that compensates for having no mix-ups.. Staggering pressure is in no way as effective as just being next to someone and having a mix-up automatically because you get pressure/corner carry after a throw or have a command grab

Last edited:

Aramonde

Noob
You ARE getting better. I get so impatient with Guile zoning when I'm using Rashid. I really don't like that MU. You did a good job at forcing me to respect the flash kick and ex boom/vskill boom. I feel much more comfortable with Ryu. At least I can nullify some of your zoning with fireballs/parry. If I read a boom, hurricane kick is much more reliable to punish. Same with jumping over a boom.

I think you just need to work on your combos at this point. Like whatever his crazy v-trigger combos are and his corner combos with HP into boom into cr. MP boom. I know they are pretty difficult, but it's going to make a huge difference in your damage output.
Yeah you were impatient with Rashid at the start. It helps me that Rashid doesn't have ridiculous fast normals to lock me down when you get in.

Ryu almost completely negates Guile zoning. If i have meter its a little better but both characters with no meter is in Ryu's favor (to me at least). I dont know which it worse to fight Ryu oer Nash at this point.

Its gonna take a long time to learn the loop lol. I can barely do HP, SB, cr.mp, SB in practice.

MORE LIKE BUFF CAMMY

Is this character usage percentage?