What's new

Street Fighter 6 General Discussion

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Is this fundamentally as confusing as SFV? Got SFV for £10 and I must say the V mechanics are not doing it for me. I played the SF6 demo with 2 characters and it was fun, but very on the fence at the moment. Anyone got any advice? I wanna buy it but also not be as annoyed with it as SFV.
currently THE fighting game to play.
It will give you a variety of things that should be standard in a fighting game by now.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Tbh it's surprising to me just how good this game really is at launch. We live in an era where a game can be decent at best at launch, and we have to "wait" until it's "improved" post-release with multiple patches. It seems almost impossible for a game these days to release well balanced while also being very fun while also having great mechanics, especially after their SFV abomination, but somehow they pulled it off.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Been playing non stop. My first ever street fighter. I only play modern controls but use them as high level as they possibly go. Kinda fell for the hype of modern and think they are a bit of a bill, buuuut I would have never have bought and learned the game without them, so... doesn’t really matter I guess it’s just how I’ve learned the game. I’m just biding time for mk at the end of the day. But it worries me how much I enjoy sf lol.

Honda is my main. The only modern control aspect I use is canceling into supers cuz it’s still hard to me. And the one button command grab which is nice but also the only way I can do it (on modern). Also I have a zangief and ryu I play similarly.

I fiddle around with classic controls and am aware they aren’t THAT hard but at this point my muscle memory is modern and I dunno how much time I wanna dedicate to this game with mk1 on the horizon.
I am much the same. Modern controls are kinda what sold me on this game, that and the drive rush system. I just absolutely hate SF's six button layout being shoehorned on a controller...but I'm a pad player, and don't want to learn stick.

Anyway, SF6 is super fun! And because I'm playing modern, it sort of controls like MK, which is a big plus for me. That being said, I did play the MK1 Stress Test, and it just reminded me how much more I enjoy MK to SF over all. I do hope though that MK1 has a lot of the bells and whistles that SF6 has. Watching replays, and superb training mode with trials, guides, and so many other things. SF6 is truly and master class in FG presentation.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I’m just biding time for mk at the end of the day. But it worries me how much I enjoy sf lol.

I fiddle around with classic controls and am aware they aren’t THAT hard but at this point my muscle memory is modern and I dunno how much time I wanna dedicate to this game with mk1 on the horizon.
You know you can play both games, right? I understand it’s difficult to play completely different types of fighting games at the same time, but all it takes is a bit of time in training mode and maybe a few matches before your brain and muscle memory adapts back. I’m just saying if you really enjoy SF6, you don’t have to drop it once MK1 comes out.

For me, the most difficult thing is playing 2 similar games but that are also a lot different at the same time. For instance when I played UMK3 at the same time I played MK9, MKX or MK11. There’s a lot of similarities but a ton of differences as well. Mainly when it comes to shared specials or normals.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Tbh it's surprising to me just how good this game really is at launch. We live in an era where a game can be decent at best at launch, and we have to "wait" until it's "improved" post-release with multiple patches. It seems almost impossible for a game these days to release well balanced while also being very fun while also having great mechanics, especially after their SFV abomination, but somehow they pulled it off.
Although Street Fighter 5 ended up selling about seven million copies, the lack of content on release was comical while the net code has remained subpar to this day. Nonetheless, I am glad that Capcom listened to constructive feedback and implemented the necessary adjustments.

As you implied, Street Fighter 6 has everything that you would in a modern fighting game. Exceptional net code and online interface. Charming characters that present various gameplay styles. Single player content, but admittedly I still have to check out the World Tour. The gameplay, in particular, seems to have been very carefully crafted to stimulate balance, especially for a fighting game's initial release.

Namco and NRS must follow suit, especially NRS after Mortal Kombat 11.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m a street fighter guy now. After playing nrs games nonstop since mk9 , another fighter has finally turned my head. Barely even touched the mk1 stress test

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m a street fighter guy now. After playing nrs games nonstop since mk9 , another fighter has finally turned my head. Barely even touched the mk1 stress test
Fool, let us play sometimes.

What is your gamer tag on CFN?

molambo

(X ౪ X )
Although Street Fighter 5 ended up selling about seven million copies, the lack of content on release was comical while the net code has remained subpar to this day. Nonetheless, I am glad that Capcom listened to constructive feedback and implemented the necessary adjustments.

As you implied, Street Fighter 6 has everything that you would in a modern fighting game. Exceptional net code and online interface. Charming characters that present various gameplay styles. Single player content, but admittedly I still have to check out the World Tour. The gameplay, in particular, seems to have been very carefully crafted to stimulate balance, especially for a fighting game's initial release.

Namco and NRS must follow suit, especially NRS after Mortal Kombat 11.
So you want them to sell a fighting game with 18 characters, rising the price for dlc chars, bad single player content and a ranked system that is completely fucked up? I rather want them not to go capcoms route...

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
A month in and I feel like I haven’t even scratched the surface with this game. Hell I’ve hardly touched online, I’ve never had this much fun just labbing stuff in a fighting game before. Cannot wait for the DLC characters, especially Akuma, i can’t even imagine how insane his kit can be with the drive system

Capcom is seriously on top of the world again. If only we could get a new VS game :(

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So you want them to sell a fighting game with 18 characters, rising the price for dlc chars, bad single player content and a ranked system that is completely fucked up? I rather want them not to go capcoms route...
You will be happier when NRS sells starts selling cameos for $15 so you can do five special moves with your favorite character who is unusable in the actual game.

molambo

(X ౪ X )
You will be happier when NRS sells starts selling cameos for $15 so you can do five special moves with your favorite character who is unusable in the actual game.
Of course not a single argument because you know I am right. So far only the base game got more expensive. The character pass stayed the same and we know it's content which doesn't only contain 4 characters.

It's fine when you like sf6 but just because sf5 didn't deliver doesn't mean what Capcom put out now is above anything else... It's just better then sf5.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
So I bit the bullet and bought this game… wow. So much fun playing Kimberly! Still trying to figure out canister setups though.

I have to say, it gets quite frustrating playing against Cammy without labbing at first. Her jump mixups are bonkers lol

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Is Chun-Li low tier in this game?
No, she is actually hard to pick up among the entire cast, she has the things you have to memorize the most, and get used to, understand how each stance plays, so she takes a bit more work than the others, but I can assure you, Chun is just as solid.

Its also one of the reason why I think we don't need a balance patch for this game yet, Luke was top, then Ken and Cammy and Now Marisa is said to be the best char in the game, let the gave evolve a bit more, and that's is been only possible because the foundations of this game are pretty solid in general.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
For those interested in tier lists, here is the most recent one created by Haitani, who has achieved master rank with all 18 characters.

The following are some traits that are considered valuable, which I have gathered from listening to high level players describe the current meta.
  • invincible OD special move (as a wake up attack, especially in the corner)
  • invincible level 1 super (while in burnout as a defensive option against okizeme and drive impact)
  • drive rush speed (as an approach and footsies tool)
  • advantageous normal attack outside of drive rush (to apply pressure without the use of drive gauge)
  • cancelable normal attacks (the more, the merrier so that you are not susceptible to drive impact)
  • cancelable crouching middle kick (to punish opponents who hold back in footsies)
  • damage output (for normal attacks, special moves, OD moves, super moves, etc.)
  • wall carry (taking the opponent to the wall and applying mix ups)
  • throw loops in the corner (throwing your opponent and being in range to threaten another throw)
  • forcing burnout (essentially, melting your opponent's drive gauge as there is no chip damage outside of burnout)
A character like Ken almost has all of these traits while a character like Zangief has far less of them, which is reflected in tier lists.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
The game is great!

I thought SF5 had one of the worst releases I've ever seen and I criticized them mightily for it. They bounced back, this is a deep game on release.

World Tour can feel very grindy at times and there's a lot of fetch quest padding("go talk to me at night time at this spot", "go back to the day and meet me in Chinatown"), but it's arguably the best single player experience a fighting game has ever had. The narrative story aspect for World Tour is whatever, honestly, but the gameplay and world building stuff makes up for it in spades. I love what NRS has done with their games by having cinematic story modes that are actually good, like I think MK9 and Injustice 2 are legitimately good pieces of entertainment just with the cutscenes.. but it's not the best an FG can offer to just have some fights with story in-between.

It's like a Tony Hawk game, but with Street Fighter. Instead of teaching you how to grind, they teach you game mechanics and the moves of different characters. They fill it with humor and throwbacks to SF lore, you become Zangief's pupil, you get your ass kicked by Carlos Miyamoto and learn that you need to press buttons less in this game. I really enjoyed it despite it being frustrating at times. I used the avatar system to help me learn different characters that maybe I wouldn't have put as much time into, and it's really cool how you not only use your Avatar in the battle hub, you actually can fight against other people's avatars. Not something I've done, but very very cool

Battle Hub is just sick bro, they didn't invent the virtual arcade concept but I feel like they finally nailed it. They need to let you play the classic games online though!

I think the game visually looks very good most of the time, my only issue is that some of the character designs are suspect IMO. One of the more glaring ones is that I think the proportions on some character's (Ryu, Luke's forearms sheesh) are inconsistent and kinda look stupid at times. Kimberly's main costume is bad, I actually really like her now because of her alt. No Deejay slander is allowed. But the colors of the game are fun and Metro City looked very nice in World Tour.

The music is tight! Stage tracks and character tracks are good, maybe not SF2/3 tier but I like what we got, but so much of the menu themes and the World Tour tracks are jams. Options galore, menus and training mode are mostly great. Some of the Training UI is bad but honestly dude it's hard to fault them

JP is fucking dope dude, Swole Christoper Lee is here to zone you and set you up and then say "My apologies, yes.. indeed".

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The game is great!

I thought SF5 had one of the worst releases I've ever seen and I criticized them mightily for it. They bounced back, this is a deep game on release.

World Tour can feel very grindy at times and there's a lot of fetch quest padding("go talk to me at night time at this spot", "go back to the day and meet me in Chinatown"), but it's arguably the best single player experience a fighting game has ever had. The narrative story aspect for World Tour is whatever, honestly, but the gameplay and world building stuff makes up for it in spades. I love what NRS has done with their games by having cinematic story modes that are actually good, like I think MK9 and Injustice 2 are legitimately good pieces of entertainment just with the cutscenes.. but it's not the best an FG can offer to just have some fights with story in-between.

It's like a Tony Hawk game, but with Street Fighter. Instead of teaching you how to grind, they teach you game mechanics and the moves of different characters. They fill it with humor and throwbacks to SF lore, you become Zangief's pupil, you get your ass kicked by Carlos Miyamoto and learn that you need to press buttons less in this game. I really enjoyed it despite it being frustrating at times. I used the avatar system to help me learn different characters that maybe I wouldn't have put as much time into, and it's really cool how you not only use your Avatar in the battle hub, you actually can fight against other people's avatars. Not something I've done, but very very cool

Battle Hub is just sick bro, they didn't invent the virtual arcade concept but I feel like they finally nailed it. They need to let you play the classic games online though!

I think the game visually looks very good most of the time, my only issue is that some of the character designs are suspect IMO. One of the more glaring ones is that I think the proportions on some character's (Ryu, Luke's forearms sheesh) are inconsistent and kinda look stupid at times. Kimberly's main costume is bad, I actually really like her now because of her alt. No Deejay slander is allowed. But the colors of the game are fun and Metro City looked very nice in World Tour.

The music is tight! Stage tracks and character tracks are good, maybe not SF2/3 tier but I like what we got, but so much of the menu themes and the World Tour tracks are jams. Options galore, menus and training mode are mostly great. Some of the Training UI is bad but honestly dude it's hard to fault them

JP is fucking dope dude, Swole Christoper Lee is here to zone you and set you up and then say "My apologies, yes.. indeed".
I'm still surprised how good the game is lol. It really is just that good. Like any game it has it's bull, but the bull is much more tolerable in this game than any I can think of in recent memory. I've literally only went one day without playing it so far which was the Saturday of 4th of July weekend lol. It's that wild right now.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
For those interested in tier lists, here is the most recent one created by Haitani, who has achieved master rank with all 18 characters.

The following are some traits that are considered valuable, which I have gathered from listening to high level players describe the current meta.
  • invincible OD special move (as a wake up attack, especially in the corner)
  • invincible level 1 super (while in burnout as a defensive option against okizeme and drive impact)
  • drive rush speed (as an approach and footsies tool)
  • advantageous normal attack outside of drive rush (to apply pressure without the use of drive gauge)
  • cancelable normal attacks (the more, the merrier so that you are not susceptible to drive impact)
  • cancelable crouching middle kick (to punish opponents who hold back in footsies)
  • damage output (for normal attacks, special moves, OD moves, super moves, etc.)
  • wall carry (taking the opponent to the wall and applying mix ups)
  • throw loops in the corner (throwing your opponent and being in range to threaten another throw)
  • forcing burnout (essentially, melting your opponent's drive gauge as there is no chip damage outside of burnout)
A character like Ken almost has all of these traits while a character like Zangief has far less of them, which is reflected in tier lists.
The only part i disagree with is Ken having an advantageous normal outside of drive rush, wish he doesn't have, he has heavy dragon lash wish is very slow, but he makes up for with the rest.

Gief needs something to wakeup with, and even if he gets that the Dahlsim matchup still going to be terrible, his pick parry should just have a low version or maybe it should definitely catch every normal in the game outside of kicks