What's new

Street Fighter 6 General Discussion

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
So I've been thinking about strength man

This is the place where you can discuss all things Street Fighter 6 related.

Agilaz

It has begun
Game's great, but the increased mental stack is real. It takes some getting used to.

World Tour mode is fun at first, but kind of grindy and about 5 hours too long. That said, it's really amazing they used WT to actually teach people FG fundamentals like blocking correctly, punishing, whiff punishing, throw breaking.. I feel this is gonna do a lot to actually get people into fighting games.

I'm not sure how I feel about Modern controls. It's generally not too big of an issue, but losing a ranked set because my opponent can whiff punish a light with a one button CA feels..terrible.

Roster's alright, feels like every character is super well designed to the point it got me to pick up Dhalsim for the first time since SF2T.

Battle Hub is my favourite thing ever, I like it much more than Strive's lobby system. I'm hoping against hope here that MK1 delivers something similar, but I know it's certainly not a focus for NRS.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm not sure how I feel about Modern controls. It's generally not too big of an issue, but losing a ranked set because my opponent can whiff punish a light with a one button CA feels..terrible.
First, supers are 3 buttons on Modern not one lmao. Second, any good player would whiff punish into a full combo anyway. The only thing modern does it removes specials and super execution.

Agilaz

It has begun
First, supers are 3 buttons on Modern not one lmao. Second, any good player would whiff punish into a full combo anyway. The only thing modern does it removes specials and super execution.
Can those 3 buttons be bound to a single button? I mean we can argue semantics if you want, but fact is modern removes the required input frames for supers.

I think you severely underestimate how hard it is to whiff punish a light on reaction on classic controls

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Can those 3 buttons be bound to a single button? I mean we can argue semantics if you want, but fact is modern removes the required input frames for supers.

I think you severely underestimate how hard it is to whiff punish a light on reaction on classic controls
No it can't cause it uses two face buttons and a directional button so it'll always be at the most 2 anyways.

Sounds like they just mashed it lmao.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The drive system is hella fun, along with the frame data structure brings a lot to the game.
Oh yea, and the uniqueness each character brings to matches, the balance between offensive and defensive options, etc, they knocked it out the park. I hated SFV until the last two seasons when I thought it was good, but this game is one of the best FGs of the modern era. With MK1 around the corner and Tekken 8 coming soon after, we are living in the literal definition of, "what a great time to be alive".

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time. And to think I understand how to play a SF is crazy lmao. They did an amazing job. Drive rush is extremely fun to play around with. And it has pretty colors XD

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time. And to think I understand how to play a SF is crazy lmao. They did an amazing job. Drive rush is extremely fun to play around with. And it has pretty colors XD
That's probably the most underrated part. All the talk of how it plays, and games like MK and GG have reputation for looking amazing, but the SF design and visuals surprisingly look amazing for once too. I Legit think after the MK launch I might not even play another game other than FGs for a while.

MuMuGuy

Noob
Using Lily is a massive struggle, it’s easy to Drive Impact almost all of her shit on reaction. She’s fun and requires work, but the reward for said work is not there.

She at least needs a decent combo from lights without Windclad stocks and mediums that aren’t moldy buns. Her medium kicks have laughable reach, while her medium punches are unrewarding and are easy to Drive Impact and whiff punish.

They overdid it on the graffiti effects. That makes it look like Splatoon Fighter 6.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I've enjoyed it so far. First time since SFA3 I can call myself a Street Fighter.

About 80h in so far though my budget Internet option isn't always consistent enough for online. Basically have to stick to casual modes and pray it holds up enough not to trigger whatever lobby I'm running around in.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I will say I have at times been tempted to try "Modern" controls just so I know I can get things to come out when I expect them to + instant supers. I'm too old to get into that though and I want all my options.

Input system just seems a little too loose at times and wild stuff tends to happen. Better than being too strict and feeling super stiff

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Game's interesting. However, I wanna come out swinging that SF6 (and really SF as a franchise cause this applies to Alpha, Third Strike, and 4 as well) does not mesh with me and more often than not genuinely enrages me while I play it. Uninstalled it last night in a flurry of expletives kinda enrage. I'm truly just a little MK goblin. Like pulling teeth just to get myself to understand how SF works. May reinstall soon after a break.

Last edited:
No it can't cause it uses two face buttons and a directional button so it'll always be at the most 2 anyways.

Sounds like they just mashed it lmao.
The point is that it's still a single simultaneous press making it effectively a one button super, much like fatal blows etc.
Classic super input takes a minimum amount of frames to buffer out by comparison. Possible for both but significantly easier for one, hence the damage penalty.

That said, I really like Street Fighter and couldn't be happier with this game. Couldn't agree more with the battle hub being cool (and actually functional). I love Strive but this is just a way better realized version of that game's lobby.

I'm pretty terrible at reacting to drive impact still. My character feels a little carried by knowledge checks right now, so I expect people to become anti-JP snipers soon enough and force me to work harder. I have a pretty bad Dhalsim so far too, lol.

Input system just seems a little too loose at times and wild stuff tends to happen. Better than being too strict and feeling super stiff
Yeah that part is definitely a bummer but manageable. I was pretty surprised at how generous things are for sure.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Avatar battles must be a hit, because the floor is hopping. It seems to be the only thing going on in the hubs with almost nobody on machines and everyone mixing it up in the middle

Elias6999

Mournful Master
Is this fundamentally as confusing as SFV? Got SFV for £10 and I must say the V mechanics are not doing it for me. I played the SF6 demo with 2 characters and it was fun, but very on the fence at the moment. Anyone got any advice? I wanna buy it but also not be as annoyed with it as SFV.

Had to learn the hard way that Gief's Lariat does not hit behind so free crossups all day on me, I still cannot react to DI (my reaction rate is like 0.01% lol) and also struggling with drive cancelling. If it is anything like what happened with me on SF5, I will probably get the hang of it in about 3 years.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Out of interest, what characters do you think work best with Modern Controls and which do you think are worse?

I would put JP in the definitely worse basket for sure.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Is this fundamentally as confusing as SFV? Got SFV for £10 and I must say the V mechanics are not doing it for me. I played the SF6 demo with 2 characters and it was fun, but very on the fence at the moment. Anyone got any advice? I wanna buy it but also not be as annoyed with it as SFV.
Yes. If you didn't like the v-skills and v-triggers you're probably not going to like drive impact and drive rush and rembering the inputs for 3 different supers.

Been playing non stop. My first ever street fighter. I only play modern controls but use them as high level as they possibly go. Kinda fell for the hype of modern and think they are a bit of a bill, buuuut I would have never have bought and learned the game without them, so... doesn’t really matter I guess it’s just how I’ve learned the game. I’m just biding time for mk at the end of the day. But it worries me how much I enjoy sf lol.

Honda is my main. The only modern control aspect I use is canceling into supers cuz it’s still hard to me. And the one button command grab which is nice but also the only way I can do it (on modern). Also I have a zangief and ryu I play similarly.

I fiddle around with classic controls and am aware they aren’t THAT hard but at this point my muscle memory is modern and I dunno how much time I wanna dedicate to this game with mk1 on the horizon.

I hope that one day NRS can match the development skills to those of Capcom.. SF6 has some funky looking characters but the combat, specials, supers and footsies look very satisfying.

Last edited: