What's new

Street Fighter 6 General Discussion

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I can't think of two characters I want to see less
what? Gief is in the top coolest characters in SF and has been for decades. Easily one of the most fun to play, fight agaist and watch in SF6.

So you better get used to him as you will be seeing him and JP (unfortunately) in every top8 until SF7

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
what? Gief is in the top coolest characters in SF and has been for decades. Easily one of the most fun to play, fight agaist and watch in SF6.

So you better get used to him as you will be seeing him and JP (unfortunately) in every top8 until SF7
Mad, hard disagree. I know people like him for some reason, but I can't possibly understand why. The whole grappler thing is not something I like from any point of view. Not playing, or watching, or playing against.

I get people like different things, but it's so far outside of my understanding I don't even have words for how confused I am about how hype people get over Gief and similar characters

and with a win under his belt I'm going to be 1 and doning even more of him

Mad, hard disagree. I know people like him for some reason, but I can't possibly understand why. The whole grappler thing is not something I like from any point of view. Not playing, or watching, or playing against.

I get people like different things, but it's so far outside of my understanding I don't even have words for how confused I am about how hype people get over Gief and similar characters

and with a win under his belt I'm going to be 1 and doning even more of him
It's because watching shotoclonefest 2020 again and again gets old. The whole draw of fighting games is having extremely varied characters and seeing how their kits interact. Characters like Sim/Gief totally warp the flow of the match in a way that's really interesting to see. The way vangeif would just slowly walk people down in SFIV was such an imposing and interesting change of pace to "character with a dp #X" playstyle.

Jynks

just watch the 1st game of that Gief vs JP video... the very first game and see the amazing footsies as SankeEyes edges in and makes the space to get that damage at the end. In out, block dodge, take damage... just make it .. BANG eat a combo bitch .. you thought you had that!! WOOO!!!

THAT is fighting games...

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
It's because watching shotoclonefest 2020 again and again gets old. The whole draw of fighting games is having extremely varied characters and seeing how their kits interact. Characters like Sim/Gief totally warp the flow of the match in a way that's really interesting to see. The way vangeif would just slowly walk people down in SFIV was such an imposing and interesting change of pace to "character with a dp #X" playstyle.
or he warps the flow of the game in a way that is miserably unfun

Grappler appeal goes back basically as far as shotos in the first place, so I'm not sure boredom is an actual reasoning factor. It's more likely the comeback illusion. "OMG, he/I had no life and won!"

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
or he warps the flow of the game in a way that is miserably unfun

Grappler appeal goes back basically as far as shotos in the first place, so I'm not sure boredom is an actual reasoning factor. It's more likely the comeback illusion. "OMG, he/I had no life and won!"
This definitely gets to the heart of it for me as well. Dedicated grapplers always end up in this "They're losing.. until they're suddenly NOT!" gameplay system that is so boring. The sheer power of having an on demand 25-35%, unbreakable command grab entirely warps the matchup so everyone, no matter their archetype, has to play specifically as "anti-[Insert Grappler]" to the extreme. Everything MUST be air tight on block strings / pressure, you're often best falling back after knocking down even if you're a heavy pressure character unless you have strong anti-wakeup setups, and you're often playing The Floor is Lava. Super dull, unexciting, and all around shit design imo.

Ban the grappler players. :DOGE

EDIT: adding in here after sitting through 10m of that video as it reminded me of my #1 least favorite thing about SF as a series. It's beyond infuriating that dashes are committal actions, and that directly contributes to the mind numbing gameplay on display in that video.

Last edited:

Jynks

She looks fun... Got Rain's Bubble thing! Her strange super crouch thing is really bizzar. I guess she can lie down under any projectile that is not cast from a jump downwards?

Still this trailer is a great example of why I play with japeneese voices!

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
A.K.I. has been tough to get into. I feel this strange mix of she feels like something I'd be comfortable and interested in playing, but it's taking an eternity to get any sense of comfort going. Building muscle memory for her isn't happening at all. It normally takes me a long time, but it's taking a lot of extra time. She has some interesting stuff going on, and having good awareness of a lot of external factors is going to be needed to make good choices. Some single hit confirms seem important.

I'll never been particularly good with her, but I'm going to try for a while and see what happens.

And where are these costumes at? Are avatars where the money is at? Because I could have been a turtle, and now I can be a burrito, but I can't get an alt costume for any character and we feel way too deep into this game for zero Juri or Chun costumes.