What's new

Starfire Matchup Discussion

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Yea I get those character have good neutral but none reach as far as starfire, I haven't messed with her enough yet but I feel like mixing the sweep and f3 with trait and rest of her kit gives her a lot of options maybe I'm wrong
Indeed. Starfire is a well rounded character with her best tool being her Zoning. That means she is gonna have some pretty good neutral, along with other good tools, but these tools aren't gonna be as strong as her Zoning, and also not as good as other chars' same type of tools, but still pretty good. People need to realize that not every char is gonna be too similar to others.

No I realize that but I don't think she is shit tier her trait and f3 look very similar her sweep has range I think she can do what she does and does it very well I think having the d1 link wouldn't be too bad

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Yea I get those character have good neutral but none reach as far as starfire, I haven't messed with her enough yet but I feel like mixing the sweep and f3 with trait and rest of her kit gives her a lot of options maybe I'm wrong
Her sweep is 19 frames and -27 on block so prepare to get punished everytime unless your opponent is a dumbass

DarksydeDash

Indeed. Starfire is a well rounded character with her best tool being her Zoning. That means she is gonna have some pretty good neutral, along with other good tools, but these tools aren't gonna be as strong as her Zoning, and also not as good as other chars' same type of tools, but still pretty good. People need to realize that not every char is gonna be too similar to others.
I hope you watched the Jupiter Vs Jackal ft10 because everything that happened in that set was exactly what I said her issues are. For God's sake, count how many teleports and d2s Starfire gets hit by.

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
I hope you watched the Jupiter Vs Jackal ft10 because everything that happened in that set was exactly what I said her issues are. For God's sake, count how many teleports and d2s Starfire gets hit by.
How you can take that set and use it to fuel a Starfire is bad campaign is beyond me.

If you are plus and you go for a high that doesn't jail d2 will blow you up its how injustice works same if the opponent mashes d1.

Jupiter was learning stuff on the fly and trying to find the correct buttons for situations. It showed as the set progressed that he was finding his options as it went along.

Also Manta bullies nearly every member of the cast with the same stuff its why he is viable.

DarksydeDash

How you can take that set and use it to fuel a Starfire is bad campaign is beyond me.

If you are plus and you go for a high that doesn't jail d2 will blow you up its how injustice works same if the opponent mashes d1.

Jupiter was learning stuff on the fly and trying to find the correct buttons for situations. It showed as the set progressed that he was finding his options as it went along.

Also Manta bullies nearly every member of the cast with the same stuff its why he is viable.
My dude.. She can't Jail anything off her d1 except another d1 because it is only +9 on hit.

Tweedy

Noob
That set had nothing to do with the match up or Starfire being bad imo. I don't think either player was playing at a level where match ups and tiers truly matter.

My dude.. She can't Jail anything off her d1 except another d1 because it is only +9 on hit.
Most characters can't. Scarecrow is the only character off the top of my head who can easily jail a high off of a d1 on hit. Starfire s2 will stuff any attempts to mash if you're just somewhat on point.

Jailing normals off of a landed poke was more of an mkx thing. Of course it can be done on this game but it's less important with the slower 1 hitting armored moves.

Her sweep is 19 frames and -27 on block so prepare to get punished everytime unless your opponent is a dumbass
From the range you can use it I doubt people would be able to truly punish it and that's where you would mix in her f3 or her multiple other long reaching strings

DarksydeDash

From the range you can use it I doubt people would be able to truly punish it and that's where you would mix in her f3 or her multiple other long reaching strings
It's extremely punishable by a good majority of the cast and there is no mix-up. Sweep is 19 frames startup, f3 is 29. 10 frame difference and the animation is recognizable as soon as you see it. Plus sweep reaches farther so if you know the distance you don't have to worry. Both get blown up by jump ins too BTW.

Roy Arkon

Am I the only one who thinks she’s pretty fucking trash? Been trying to play her for a while and I really don’t get all this praise...
Maybe she is not for you in particular, just because a character is great that doesn't mean you can automatically control that char to it's fullest if it's not fit your playstyle. I play her and I have nice results with her so far, so are a few pro players.

Maybe she is not for you in particular, just because a character is great that doesn't mean you can automatically control that char to it's fullest if it's not fit your playstyle. I play her and I have nice results with her so far, so are a few pro players.
Probably true, I main cheetah and swamp thing. Trying to learn a more zoning oriented character for bad matchups. It just seems her projectiles are massively overhyped. All of them just have so much start up or just highs. Sure very far startdust is +24 on block, that’s all good but it’s like 50 frames start up. Doesn’t seem like she can compete with other zoners like Dr Fate. And her footsies seem very meh.

Roy Arkon

Probably true, I main cheetah and swamp thing. Trying to learn a more zoning oriented character for bad matchups. It just seems her projectiles are massively overhyped. All of them just have so much start up or just highs. Sure very far startdust is +24 on block, that’s all good but it’s like 50 frames start up. Doesn’t seem like she can compete with other zoners like Dr Fate. And her footsies seem very meh.
She has Starblast and Starbolt Trait as well, you need to mix up between all of her 3 projectiles (and all versions of Stardust), and know when to MB them like for Stardust as MB Stardust turns into a Reptile Forceball-like projectile that give you additional properties. Also regarding Stardust, the hitbox for that projectile in particular are active only when it explodes, that shows even further that you need to mix up the projectiles.

She shouldn't have that much of an issue with Dr. Fate. I didn't face that many Dr. Fate players, but as far as I know, not only she can counter-zone him well, she also has one thing that Dr. Fate doesn't, that's mobility thanks to her Tamaranean Charge (BF2).

She has Starblast and Starbolt Trait as well, you need to mix up between all of her 3 projectiles (and all versions of Stardust), and know when to MB them like for Stardust as MB Stardust turns into a Reptile Forceball-like projectile that give you additional properties. Also regarding Stardust, the hitbox for that projectile in particular are active only when it explodes, that shows even further that you need to mix up the projectiles.

She shouldn't have that much of an issue with Dr. Fate. I didn't face that many Dr. Fate players, but as far as I know, not only she can counter-zone him well, she also has one thing that Dr. Fate doesn't, that's mobility thanks to her Tamaranean Charge (BF2).
Idk man. The projectiles themselves just travel so slowly. Dr Fates are so much faster, and are all mids, and he doesn’t have to work out all these distances to like you have to with star dust. I honestly don’t believe you can get away with using far star dust on fate. You end up taking more damage with chip and hit while he can pretty much duck everything else unles you meter burn trait. Idk what ppl are talking about with all these 6-4 matchups. Her jump 3 good but you get nothing off it. F2 a high, and she’s just so stubby. I mean her best buttons like a 11 frame mid with no range? Just don’t get the hype...

Roy Arkon

Idk man. The projectiles themselves just travel so slowly. Dr Fates are so much faster, and are all mids, and he doesn’t have to work out all these distances to like you have to with star dust. I honestly don’t believe you can get away with using far star dust on fate. You end up taking more damage with chip and hit while he can pretty much duck everything else unles you meter burn trait. Idk what ppl are talking about with all these 6-4 matchups. Her jump 3 good but you get nothing off it. F2 a high, and she’s just so stubby. I mean her best buttons like a 11 frame mid with no range? Just don’t get the hype...
As I said, you can't use just far Stardust. That's just one of four versions of just one out of 3 projectiles that Starfire has. All versions of Stardust are indeed slow, but Starblast is a very fast projectile with only 14 frames on Startup (same as Dr. Fate's Apophis Blast projectile), and Starbolt Trait is also fast enough, much faster then Fate's Orb projectile. And once again, Starfire has the mobility, she can use TC for air mobility as well as air dashing. Just use the right moves at the right times against other Zoners to either Counter-Zone them or Anti-Zone them.

Question maybe idk how to read frame data properly but why doesn't stardust ex link with d1 like it's 5 frame startup and on hit you have at least 6 frames right it's cancel minus hit adv correct?

Error

DF2+R2
Fate probably beats Starfire, she has to stay in the range where his finger blasts are still high to compete in the zoning war.

Error

DF2+R2
Question maybe idk how to read frame data properly but why doesn't stardust ex link with d1 like it's 5 frame startup and on hit you have at least 6 frames right it's cancel minus hit adv correct?
There's still the start up of stardust before the ex comes out, I'm not sure of the exact start up overall, but yeah it's much slower than 5 frames.

Roy Arkon

Fate probably beats Starfire, she has to stay in the range where his finger blasts are still high to compete in the zoning war.
But his Apophis Blast is already a mid, even if she stays closer she isn't supposed to duck it. Isn't it a true mid?

Not to mention that she still has various tools compete with Fate. I think it's 5-5, or 4-6 at worst which means she can still compete with Fate but needs to be more careful, if anything.