What's new

Guide Smoke Combos!

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
is the reset really that ez

damn i got to start practicing it.
Timing consistently changes depending on the combo you end with the reset and the area of the stage you're in. Takes practice, but once you get it, it's pretty easy to do.

arydious

Noob
yeah i was just playing my buddy and i landed it against him atleast 50% of the matches. Its super easy in the corner just remember to f4 the opponent about head level i think, im not to positive because its just natural for me now, but he really does get angry when he has a huge life lead and i get him in the corner and kill him lol.

if you dont land the reset the first time just keep watching the fall and placing it at a different spot till its at perfect reset spot.

Another thing is sometimes i wont reset because the otg is a free 10% and most people will either downblock or try to wakeup out of the corner and 3d12 seems to stuff wakeups and obviously works on downblock.

If they stand block its fine to because they almost always try to jump after 3d12 so d1 hit them, i land that 2 to 3 times then smoke bomb into 32 32 32 rinse and repeat, honestly smoke is an assassin in the corner.

At my first tournament i played a barake I had no knowledge what so ever of baraka and my button layout was wrong i was nervous and not use to a lag free tv. So i was getting raped lol. Well basically what saved my ass was the corner just the start of that combo is i think 43% even Michelangelo was like omg did you see that smoke player in the corner. I think thats what made him pick Kabal against me cause he was using reptile against everyone else that tournament lol.

I only got 5th there and there was not many people lol

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
compaired to the otg smoke bomb how much more dificult is the reset?
Not that hard, honestly. I never actually bothered doing the OTG Smoke Bomb back in the day because that was genuinely cheating imo. Just seemed too unfair.

The best advice was written by arydious above you:
"if you dont land the reset the first time just keep watching the fall and placing it at a different spot till its at perfect reset spot."

Once you find that sweet spot, just keep practicing, and the reset will come out almost every time. Also note that the timing changes based on the combo you do, so stick to one particular combo you want to cancel into the F4 reset, and then play around with others.

arydious

Noob
In general when you land the f4 you want your opponent and you to be almost perfectly paralleled to the ground. I have done it some times much higher and sometimes when it was very low. Compared to other characters to learn in the game this smoke reset is extremely easy to learn. I think learning Johnny Cage's dash 2 dash 2 dash 2 is much harder.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I know there is doubts, but the positioning for the reset DOES NOT change. Its a lottery.

What you guys are seeing is the ghetto version where your opponent is loose on the block button, the positioning is a lot more lenient than you might think if your opponent is A) not holding block or B) is the training dummy.

Its hard to tell, because anyone who doesnt hold block probably wont want to admit that they let that happen, and its their word vs your reset.

arydious

Noob
I know there is doubts, but the positioning for the reset DOES NOT change. Its a lottery.

What you guys are seeing is the ghetto version where your opponent is loose on the block button, the positioning is a lot more lenient than you might think if your opponent is A) not holding block or B) is the training dummy.

Its hard to tell, because anyone who doesnt hold block probably wont want to admit that they let that happen, and its their word vs your reset.
This is true but its obvious when this happens cause when the smoke happens you can see the standing animation from the opponent i LOL everytime

HD Smoke

Noob
Im sure everyone already knows this but Smoke can do 40% without jump in punch and without meter. With jump in punch it is 43%. I have not tried this kombo with a ex bomb. I thought Smokes highest damge without bar was 42% and without jump in punch was 39% but i just found out for myself he can do exactly 40% which is cool. its 3 d1 2, NJP (teleport to other side) 3 2, 4, smoke bomb, 3 d1 2, 2 1, down back 4 (teleport) the first teleport will hit and the second one whiffs leaving smoke at same spacing pretty much as teleport after air throw. i really like this kombo i still prefer a 3 d1 2, njp, b2 3, smokebomb which i call the KT kombo since he is best at it lol. Every stream i watch he hits it so well and gets it most of the time. im starting to realize how good smokes standing 2 is just because its solid in speed. 214 is what i have been using at end of my juggles during a kombo i think im going to drop and it always saves me lol. also against kabals dash cancel 2 has saved me a lot until the kabals switch it up on me with blades. great kabals are so tough for smoke.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
So, after playing around with Smoke a bit, I am thinking 21, smoke bomb, 32, 32, 214 ex invisibility is viable? Also, for rushdown is ending with 214, smoke towards better for frame advantage than 214, telepunch? Do the seasoned Smoke players here do it differently? I am very green with this character at the moment so struggle along with me if this is garbage.

So, after playing around with Smoke a bit, I am thinking 21, smoke bomb, 32, 32, 214 ex invisibility is viable? Also, for rushdown is ending with 214, smoke towards better for frame advantage than 214, telepunch? Do the seasoned Smoke players here do it differently? I am very green with this character at the moment so struggle along with me if this is garbage.
Your combo is... possible? Incoming opinion; my word is not one of the best on this forum as I'm not a top or even somewhat good player.

Anyways, it's really not what you should be doing with Smoke. You're spending a meter to end your pressure and take a chance at maybe (but probably not) mindfucking your opponent into another combo. If you really want to end a combo with 214 invisibility as a mixup every now and then, good on you if you can pull it off. But I would never ever EX it, at least not in that scenario since you're almost guaranteed to have to block a wakeup attack, and then you just lose the invis and have wasted it.

In terms of actually using Invis? I can't really say. I don't use it in my play, I'm far too busy with other things than to risk being exposed for a fuckton of frames to use a move that doesn't really do anything for me. The only use for it I can see is if you're a jedi and use it right as you're about to get hit by a projectile; you will actually sidestep it and it will pass by you while you go invisible. So it's a risk you can take instead of shaking.

And, as far as I know, Smoke doesn't have anything going for him in terms of rushdown frame advantage, he's neutral or negative on everything on block to my knowledge. NEVER EVER EVER DO 214 XX TELEPUNCH! (Unless you hit confirm it) You're just asking to get combo'd like mad. On block, I'll do the following with 214:
  • 214 xx smoke drift towards
  • 214 xx smoke drift away
  • 214 > d4 > b23 xx bomb OR more d4 (mixup)
  • 214 > sweep > hit confirm > telepunch (for free crossup and attempt at a meaty)
  • 214 xx smoke bomb (many people stop blocking after the 4 and get hit by the bomb for a free combo.. dont make a habit of this one)
I used to do 214 xx invisibility as a combo ender in the corner, but I got blown up by a lot of wakeups doing that so I've stopped completely. Might be due to poor execution on my part being late though. I have no idea if that remains true midscreen since I never ever do it outside the corner.
Calling all better-than-me Smoke players! talk to this man. Teach me if I'm wrong on any of my advice.

Finally got the hang of anti air stand 2, d1, d1 xx smoke bomb. I realized what I've been doing wrong is just not letting them fall far enough. They have to be like real close to the ground for d1 to combo into smoke bomb.

mcpeanuts try 2, 2, d1 xx bomb if you haven't already, I find it waaaay easier. :)

And for the record If you're a jedi 2, 2, d1, d1 xx bomb is possible; not difficult to input or hit but you have to be ready to do the whole thing, the smallest hesitation will cause a drop

Well the hard part was just getting d1 xx smoke bomb to combo. I don't really find it that hard to do 2, dash d1, dash d1. Besides, if you start the combo with an anti air d1 you need to be able to d1 into a second d1 anyways.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Your combo is... possible? Incoming opinion; my word is not one of the best on this forum as I'm not a top or even somewhat good player.

Anyways, it's really not what you should be doing with Smoke. You're spending a meter to end your pressure and take a chance at maybe (but probably not) mindfucking your opponent into another combo. If you really want to end a combo with 214 invisibility as a mixup every now and then, good on you if you can pull it off. But I would never ever EX it, at least not in that scenario since you're almost guaranteed to have to block a wakeup attack, and then you just lose the invis and have wasted it.

In terms of actually using Invis? I can't really say. I don't use it in my play, I'm far too busy with other things than to risk being exposed for a fuckton of frames to use a move that doesn't really do anything for me. The only use for it I can see is if you're a jedi and use it right as you're about to get hit by a projectile; you will actually sidestep it and it will pass by you while you go invisible. So it's a risk you can take instead of shaking.

And, as far as I know, Smoke doesn't have anything going for him in terms of rushdown frame advantage, he's neutral or negative on everything on block to my knowledge. NEVER EVER EVER DO 214 XX TELEPUNCH! (Unless you hit confirm it) You're just asking to get combo'd like mad. On block, I'll do the following with 214:
  • 214 xx smoke drift towards
  • 214 xx smoke drift away
  • 214 > d4 > b23 xx bomb OR more d4 (mixup)
  • 214 > sweep > hit confirm > telepunch (for free crossup and attempt at a meaty)
  • 214 xx smoke bomb (many people stop blocking after the 4 and get hit by the bomb for a free combo.. dont make a habit of this one)
I used to do 214 xx invisibility as a combo ender in the corner, but I got blown up by a lot of wakeups doing that so I've stopped completely. Might be due to poor execution on my part being late though. I have no idea if that remains true midscreen since I never ever do it outside the corner.
Calling all better-than-me Smoke players! talk to this man. Teach me if I'm wrong on any of my advice.

Thanks for the detailed response, man, but I didn't mean smoke towards after 214 as a blockstring but at the end of the same combo I mentioned above as opposed to the ex invis. I like d1 after Smoke's blockstrings.

The reason I've been messing around with ex invis is because it's so much better than the regular version. I don't mind using my meter, either. I am hardly conservative with meter, lol.

Oh wow. I misread that and wrote a fucking book about it LOL I feel retarded. As a rule, I don't do invisibility when I end a combo with 214 anymore because ive gotten punished for it on wakeup before, therefore it isn't safe... unless I inputted it late which I doubt since it links with 214... IDK. I just don't use it for safety's sake

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Oh wow. I misread that and wrote a fucking book about it LOL I feel retarded. As a rule, I don't do invisibility when I end a combo with 214 anymore because ive gotten punished for it on wakeup before, therefore it isn't safe... unless I inputted it late which I doubt since it links with 214... IDK. I just don't use it for safety's sake
I am sure I'll have a similar attitude once I start getting blown up for using it :).

Coincidently, what moves did you get punished by and were you trying to push buttons yourself when you got hit? I am actually using 214, smoke towards as my combo ender a lot more now, anyway, but i'd be interested to know which wakeup attacks ex invisibility can be punished by. Thanks again, anyway.

I am sure I'll have a similar attitude once I start getting blown up for using it :).

Coincidently, what moves did you get punished by and were you trying to push buttons yourself when you got hit? I am actually using 214, smoke towards as my combo ender a lot more now, anyway, but i'd be interested to know which wakeup attacks ex invisibility can be punished by. Thanks again, anyway.
Invisibility is 38 frames, minus the advantage that 214 on hit gives. So without exact numbers I can't say what would be fast enough but does it much matter? if you end with 214 invis you're free to be hit by many wakeups; whether you can block them is irrelevant. Invisibility ends your pressure and even if you can get it off and block, getting hit while blocking simply removes your invisibility. If it works for you then by all means go for it man, but I think that as an ender, it's retarded unless maybe you end combos with f4 xx invisibility. I don't even know if that links though LOL

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Invisibility is 38 frames, minus the advantage that 214 on hit gives. So without exact numbers I can't say what would be fast enough but does it much matter? if you end with 214 invis you're free to be hit by many wakeups; whether you can block them is irrelevant. Invisibility ends your pressure and even if you can get it off and block, getting hit while blocking simply removes your invisibility. If it works for you then by all means go for it man, but I think that as an ender, it's retarded unless maybe you end combos with f4 xx invisibility. I don't even know if that links though LOL
Seeing as so many wakeups are so unsafe, how about using it to bait wakeups and then punishing accordingly? Since you're invisible, it's not like your opponent can even see you blocking after the ex invis, anyway. If my opponent is going to throw out wakeups all the time, that's surely favourable for me in the meta game? Unless he can see the ex invisibility and has enough of a window to react with a wakeup attack and still hit me before I can block, and I am really not sure that's the case.

Well sure. Anything can work with proper conditioning. Generally just herp derping out a 214 xx invis ender is not a good choice, however if you can use it intelligently for baiting then go right ahead. I don't like it, but using it as free meter building before blocking a wakeup is pretty cool, I never thought about it that way before. Was too concerned with losing the invis when that doesn't really matter at all. (assuming you don't EX it)

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Well sure. Anything can work with proper conditioning. Generally just herp derping out a 214 xx invis ender is not a good choice, however if you can use it intelligently for baiting then go right ahead. I don't like it, but using it as free meter building before blocking a wakeup is pretty cool, I never thought about it that way before. Was too concerned with losing the invis when that doesn't really matter at all. (assuming you don't EX it)
Perhaps you could sometimes use the regular invis at the end of the combo to test your opponent's reactions and then possibly throw in an ex invis another time, depending on how your opponent responds. Regular invis has the free meter-building perk to it, as you say. I agree with you about not spamming the ex invis ender to the combo.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
in the corner off a b2,3:

B2,3 - d1 x smoke bomb
B2,3- Tele, D1 x smoke bomb
Really nice for picking up those overhead shots in the corner . I use the bottom one, because i havent even thought the other one consistantly works but i saw CDjr hit it on stream so it looks pretty viable. Dont know how your combos like to end in the corner so i just left it for you to decide, but the starter into the bomb is straight up.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
in the corner off a b2,3:

B2,3 - d1 x smoke bomb
B2,3- Tele, D1 x smoke bomb
Really nice for picking up those overhead shots in the corner . I use the bottom one, because i havent even thought the other one consistantly works but i saw CDjr hit it on stream so it looks pretty viable. Dont know how your combos like to end in the corner so i just left it for you to decide, but the starter into the bomb is straight up.
I always used the 2nd combo if I want to use the overhead starter.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I'm curious if a d4 will work as well if you aren't in d1 range of the corner
Dont think you can manage a D4 x Smokebomb juggle, however i havent ever tried... as a rule of thumb if im at a range to the corner and a b2,3 connects i will smoke bomb, notice the combo didnt connect, then feel a bit stupid because in a game where the corner has such an impact, you would atleast think they make the corners visible.

On that note, i use the B2,3 xx telepunch, because until like this morning i didnt even know you could do the other one, but now i guess that could lead to some easier combos and set ups, b2,3 teleports hella bad.

Dumb combo I found while procrastinating from my studying yesterday.

Opponent must be slightly over 3 dashes away from corner. If you put them in the corner, jump in the corner yourself, and b3 them out, they are at the perfect distance.

jip > 3d12 > super tiny dash (think like 1/10th a dash) xx Uppercut > super tiny dash (same thing as before) 32 > 32 > 32 > 21 xx bomb > ender of choice. 50% damage minimum meterless, depends upon your ender. This works as a reset setup too, after the bomb walk backwards then f4 ex bomb at appropriate height.

Are you ever gonna use this? fuck no. Why am I sharing it? let's just say there's more important things in life than drilling three chapters of anatomy into my head by monday.