What's new

Guide Smoke Combos!

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Pulled the full reset twice in a row against Shao Kahn yesterday. He still wasn't dead.

Regarding the f4 lottery: I did some testing and as far as I can tell it is literally random.

I used training mode's record function to record a combo ending in f4 xx EX smoke bomb and got the reset. The in game record function, if you don't know, only records your inputs, it doesn't actually make a video of what you did. I played the recording back ten times and 5 times the reset occurred (on the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 9th, and 10th times I replayed the recording, if that's important). The other 5 times the EX smoke bomb just popped the opponent up for 10% unscaled damage.

I also made a second recording where I initially did not get the reset, then replayed that video 10 times. 10 out of 10 times the reset did not occur. So what I take away from this is that there is a slight timing difference between getting the reset and getting the pop. However even if you time it correctly you may just get the pop anyways. So that's neat.

Don't have any video recording equipment to show you guys. You can trust me though, right? I've never lied to you before.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
^ Are you sure about that? From what I've practiced, it just seems you have to hit your opponent in a particular spot, making it entirely timing based. I always know whether or not the F4 reset is going to connect before I even throw the EX Smoke Bomb. It's kind of like basketball, and not random at all from my experience. In fact, there are specific sweet spots in stages where if you use B2+Smoke Bomb combos, you will get F4 resets 100% of the time. For example, at the start of a match when the announcer says "fight," if you connect B2+Smoke bomb, you can follow it up with 3 2, 3 D1 2, F4 reset. Guaranteed reset. Note, this is much harder to do with the B2 3 Smoke Bomb variation, as you'll have to be much quicker after 3 D1 2.

The ONLY thing I notice that's random is not the reset itself, but the rate at which the opponent falls after an initial Smoke bomb. This makes the timing itself inconsistent, but if you connect the F4 to that particular spot of the opponent's body I mentioned before, you'll likely get the reset. It's kind of like Liu Kangs B3 2 1 juggle, where you're always aiming for the head as they fall.

Well, now I'm not sure. I tried recording your combo and the rerecording showed the reset happening 10 times out of 10. I still maintain that there's a height at which the reset is random, which is where the opponent's ragdoll is below parallel with the f4. But I guess it is in fact possible to get it every time, which just makes it more all the more frustrating when I don't get it.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Well, now I'm not sure. I tried recording your combo and the rerecording showed the reset happening 10 times out of 10. I still maintain that there's a height at which the reset is random, which is where the opponent's ragdoll is below parallel with the f4. But I guess it is in fact possible to get it every time, which just makes it more all the more frustrating when I don't get it.
I edited my post. I realized there are sweet spots where you can land it 100% of the time. So that combo I mentioned before works 100% of the time in that specific spot at the start of a match. Whereas if you move a bit closer to the corner, you'd have to condense it to B2+Smoke Bomb, 3 2, F4 reset for it to work perfectly. Timing is always specific. Have to hit the opponent's body perfectly in the middle, syncing your F4 kick with their body in a horizontal line. This changes if you're nowhere near a corner; if you want the EX Smoke Bomb to track them in the middle of the stage, you have to do an F4 kick on the top of their body, but this seriously isn't worth it since it's very hard to pull off. Wish I could make a video to explain, but basically, the speed at which the opponent falls to the ground always changes depending on the combo you're trying to end with the reset, and the area of the stage you're located in affects your timing. It's best to only try it when you're near the corner (don't have to be too close).

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
The happiest moment you will ever experience in MK9 is when you block an EX Shadowkick at the start of the match and punish with a 100% double reset with no chance of breakers.

Cyrax watch out, this shit is legit!

Matix218

Get over here!
Hey guys,

I just yesterday started messing with Smoke on training mode (i am in the mood to learn a new character before NEC). Quick question. I was just messing with combos, and the one i was using a lot was b23, smokeball, dash, 3d12, dash 3d12, f44. The issue I have is that sometimes the f44 at the end connects and sometimes it totally whiffs, and I cant seem to find a reason why? I have tried inputting it faster, slower, with a mini dash first, none of it seems to make a difference? Is it based on the height of the character after the second 3d12? Is the f44 even supposed to link with this combo? Is there a better way to end the combo than with f44? Any help on this from Smoke vets would be appreciated!

Just need to learn the timing better. There's no dash after the last 3d12. It's very height-dependent, so it will probably remain difficult for you until you better understand Smoke's other juggles. I recommend learning all his other ones (conveniently located in my sig ;) ) first so you really understand how Smoke carries somebody around the screen, then you'll get a feel for how long it takes that f4 to come out and when to time it properly. There is no magic timing, it's just an on-the-fly sightread sort of thing as to when to do it.

For example, my BnB is jip > 3d12 > dash > 32 > dash > standing 4 xx smoke bomb > 3d12 > jk xx airthrow OR f4 depending on where I want to leave my enemy on the screen. that 32 > dash > standing 4 is awkward, because the timing at which you hit the 32 is slightly different every time, so it changes how high they're gonna be after the 32 connects. Sometimes you have to half-dash to get the standing 4 to connect, sometimes you have to full dash and wait a split second to get it to hit. It's all height-based.

TL;DR Learn Smoke's other combos first to understand how *exactly* his strings juggle. Then go back and try to hit a f4 ender some more. It'll be way easier.

Matix218

Get over here!
Just need to learn the timing better. There's no dash after the last 3d12. It's very height-dependent, so it will probably remain difficult for you until you better understand Smoke's other juggles. I recommend learning all his other ones (conveniently located in my sig ;) ) first so you really understand how Smoke carries somebody around the screen, then you'll get a feel for how long it takes that f4 to come out and when to time it properly. There is no magic timing, it's just an on-the-fly sightread sort of thing as to when to do it.

For example, my BnB is jip > 3d12 > dash > 32 > dash > standing 4 xx smoke bomb > 3d12 > jk xx airthrow OR f4 depending on where I want to leave my enemy on the screen. that 32 > dash > standing 4 is awkward, because the timing at which you hit the 32 is slightly different every time, so it changes how high they're gonna be after the 32 connects. Sometimes you have to half-dash to get the standing 4 to connect, sometimes you have to full dash and wait a split second to get it to hit. It's all height-based.

TL;DR Learn Smoke's other combos first to understand how *exactly* his strings juggle. Then go back and try to hit a f4 ender some more. It'll be way easier.
I really appreciate the help/reply. I will work on the BNBs you have listed in your sig! I am REALLY liking smoke so far btw, I am a sub zero player who uses ermac and noob (and occasionally Liu Kang) for alternates but I was really itching for a new character and smoke has so many great tools! Thanks again man!

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
for a b2 starter you're going to want to do:

b23 > smoke bomb > 32 > 3d12 > f4 > t punch OR ex smoke bomb

the timing for two 3d12's after b23 > smoke bomb is too tight to be practical

LOL WHATCHU KNOW BOUT TRIPLE UPPERCUT COMBOS!?

In all serious though that third one was amazing! How difficult is it to pull off?? Because it actually looks feasible in a real match lol

My BNB's

Midscreen - jip, 3d12, 3d12, 3d12, b2~bomb, jk air throw. 40%
Corner - 214~bomb, 32, 32, 32, 214. 37%
Off a bomb (21 for quick punish/b2 for overhead/random bomb) - 3d12, 32, f4/jk air throw. 28% for f4, 29% for jk air throw. Damage varies depending on what you open with

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Mid-Screen
3d12, NJP, b23~sb, 3d12, jk~air throw
32, b23~sb, 3d12, jk~air throw
21~sb, NJP, 3d12, jk~air throw
sb, NJP, 3d12, jk~air throw
NJP, 3d12, jk~airthrow

Corner
214~sb, 32, 32, 32, 214
3d12~sb, 32, 32, 32, 214

My simplified but easy smoke BnBs.