What's new

Guide Smoke Combos!

HD Smoke

Noob
that's his best set up IMO. losing it would be a pretty significant nerf the way I see it.

Will he lose any other set ups? Can you guys do some experimenting to see how much advantage you can get with a f4 combo ender and doing a special AFTER the move has recovered rather than cancelling it? I will test when I get home tonight.

I just think it's funny that they are trying to preserve a buff they gave him (air throw > EX SB for 10% and I can barely get it to work. Seems like it's a 1 frame link or something) by nerfing other stuff.

If they eliminate f4 canceling entirely, I believe they should ease up the timing of air throw > EX SB for 10%

Alternatively, they could make it so that only SB is not cancellable off of f4.

OR Tom Brady could be all together wrong. who knows.

colt ?
I watched the stream it was perfect legend who told brady. If this is true than that is stupid. Also wasnt the EX SB for 10% fizzled out after all the patches? I think Smokes EX bomb should work after a air throw for 10% consistently just like Scorpoions hellfire. It costs a bar and would make sense IMO

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Hey, I punished a Scorpion's EX teleport with a standing 2 instead of a D1. Later, I baited his wake-up takedown, Smoked Away, and punished it with a full combo. And here I thought that was safe. n.n

Faded Dreams V

People have overrated Smoke he is extremely good but not this broken character they say he is.
Nah. He's definitely broken as he is. lol. Character barely has any bad matchups as it is, can take away more than half of the opponent's health with attacks as simple as an AA, and has an invisibility glitch that may seem hard to do and impractical, but the founder can pull it off easily offline. He is the bane of every zoner's existence (right, m2dave ?), and honestly, his Smoke Away/Towards is one of the most fucked up (and greatest) things I've seen in a modern fighter.

If more people aren't abusing him, it's because he's not exactly a conventional character. Very different from every other in the roster. He's also kind of shitty in online lag.

<3 Smoke.

HD Smoke

Noob
Nah. He's definitely broken as he is. lol. Character barely has any bad matchups as it is, can take away more than half of the opponent's health with attacks as simple as an AA, and has an invisibility glitch that may seem hard to do and impractical, but the founder can pull it off easily offline. He is the bane of every zoner's existence (right, m2dave ?), and honestly, his Smoke Away/Towards is one of the most fucked up (and greatest) things I've seen in a modern fighter.

If more people aren't abusing him, it's because he's not exactly a conventional character. Very different from every other in the roster. He's also kind of shitty in online lag.

<3 Smoke.
I agree he is amazing, probably top 5. The resets and invis glitch are broken but take that out and he is still top 5 but balanced. He owns zoners. Cant poke back at smoke...cant jump in on smoke...cant zone smoke...cant cross up smoke...cant duck against smoke. Thats makes him sound invincible right there but he loses to kung lao and kabal IMO due to his HUGE hit box and slower normals. The only thing Smoke lacks in this game is no low options (thank god he doesnt have a low combo starter OMG that would be worse than the reset lol) and a good wake up since he has no armor. Smoke is BAD on wake up :(. Once his reset is out and the stupid invis glitch is removed i really hope people stop complaining (i get the reset is something to complain about though) about Smoke though he is beast but not the most OP character in the game. I just hope that his forward 4 into teleport isnt removed as that is a great set up and gives smoke more than 2 or 3 ways to end a combo. I dont see why that would be removed (kinda dumb, take away his reset dont limit his options for set ups). I agree faded Smoke is very different from the rest of the roster thats why people don't want to try and learn him. Smoke all the way.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Interesting rumor about Smoke's F4 being possibly nerfed. I don't play Smoke but if it gets nerfed, would it be a huge deal like when Jade's Up3 was nerfed? I agree fixing his broken glitches and resets. I'm not sure if F4 would be a game changer.

Faded Dreams V

Interesting rumor about Smoke's F4 being possibly nerfed. I don't play Smoke but if it gets nerfed, would it be a huge deal like when Jade's Up3 was nerfed? I agree fixing his broken glitches and resets. I'm not sure if F4 would be a game changer.
It's a very significant nerf that would screw up one of his best set ups. Nothing that would make Smoke shit tier or even below top 10, but it will affect the way I personally play the character.

HD Smoke

Noob
It's a very significant nerf that would screw up one of his best set ups. Nothing that would make Smoke shit tier or even below top 10, but it will affect the way I personally play the character.
Yup there is no reason for f4 to get nerfed it isnt anything but to set up another chance for pressure. Reset is the issue NRS not f4 not being able to cancel into tele or invis

Smoke has pretty much no recovery on his jump kick if you hit somebody in their shin or foot with it. This means you can combo off of it anywhere on the screen if your spacing is correct. I'm pretty sure it's a universal property but smoke can really abuse it. This also works when crossing people up, should you be able to actually make that happen ;)

DEEEEEEEP jik > full dash > d1 xx bomb > max height 32 > half dash 3d12 > uppercut. 35%

You can vary your juggle to suit your needs, obviously. This is the most damaging version that I've found, while ending with a 2 xx smoke bomb will do 1% less, be more consistent, and lend itself to oki in the same way that the uppercut would.

What happens if it gets blocked? Well congrats, you've basically just done a JIP. You have at least 10 frames of advantage here, maybe more, put that betch into pressure.

Smoke has pretty much no recovery on his jump kick if you hit somebody in their shin or foot with it. This means you can combo off of it anywhere on the screen if your spacing is correct. I'm pretty sure it's a universal property but smoke can really abuse it. This also works when crossing people up, should you be able to actually make that happen ;)

DEEEEEEEP jik > full dash > d1 xx bomb > max height 32 > half dash 3d12 > uppercut. 35%

You can vary your juggle to suit your needs, obviously. This is the most damaging version that I've found, while ending with a 2 xx smoke bomb will do 1% less, be more consistent, and lend itself to oki in the same way that the uppercut would.

What happens if it gets blocked? Well congrats, you've basically just done a JIP. You have at least 10 frames of advantage here, maybe more, put that betch into pressure.
Really? you have 10 frames advantage off a block delayed jik? How did I not know this :O

Yeah, I've been wondering why smoke players don't abuse this more like kitana does with her jik fan. It's nearly the same damage and suprisingly easy to pull off.

My favourite one is jik ... d1 smoke bomb ... 32 ... 3d12 ... 21 teleport ... (34%)
Only 1% less and can cross over punch on wakeup. And if you can't hit the 21 teleport, just do 2 teleport. Same thing really.

Really? you have 10 frames advantage off a block delayed jik?
I don't know for sure. It's a big advantage and feels to be something around there though; I've never been poked out of a deep jik > 3d12 on block so either its pretty much guaranteed or nobody tries to poke out because they are unused to reacting to it. The latter is very probable.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I don't know for sure. It's a big advantage and feels to be something around there though; I've never been poked out of a deep jik > 3d12 on block so either its pretty much guaranteed or nobody tries to poke out because they are unused to reacting to it. The latter is very probable.
Deep jk gives an almost guaranteed throw, think pre patch jip>throw setup.

DirtyBalls

Banned
thought i post a combo i found recently.
3d12, teleport , d1 smoke bomb, 3d12, jk air grab 34%

its not very useful in an actual fight but still its new

Faded Dreams V

While we're posting useless new combos:

Air to air combo if opponent tries to jump out of corner and you catch them with an aerial JP:
jump punch > jump kick > D1~Smoke Bomb > 3 D1 2 > 3 D1 2 > 2 1 4 (26%). Does 1% more than if you were to connect to do the usual 3 2 follow up after the jump punch.

Semi-useless jik combo in the corner:
jik teleport... d1 smoke bomb... 32... 214 (31%)

Good thing about it is it doesn't need a deep jik for the teleport to connect. Regualar will do. However the deep jik combo does 3% more with:
jik... d1 smoke bomb... 32... 32... 214 (34%)

Only thing that makes it useless is you can't really hit confirm the teleport. However if you know you'll get AAd with a deep jik or jip then it may be useful.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Here's some combos I found useful...
2, 1 / SC - njP / {Teleport} >> 3, 2 >> 3, D1, 2 - B2, 3 = 35%
3, D1, 2 - njP / {Teleport} >> 3, 2 >> 3, D1, 2 - B2 / SC - jK / Air Throw = 40%

xInfra Deadx

There is a new smoke combos thread that is stickied on this forum; please post combos there in the future to keep everything organized. We are kind of just letting this thread die as the new one is much cleaner and easier to read.

What do you mean by "35% into an OS"? I am only aware of OS standing for option select, of which smoke only has on his jk~airthrow (and i guess jp~airthrow as well) as far as I am aware.

Also, and no offense when I say this, but I find your notation extremely difficult to read. I've rewritten them using my notation that is standard in the new Some Combos thread, I think they look much cleaner and more readable this way.

21~smoke bomb, njp~(telepunch) > 32 > 3d12> b23~special of choice. 35%
3d12, njp~(telepunch) > 32 > 3d12 > b2~smoke bomb, jk~air throw. 40%

I'll have to double check to make sure I don't have similar/better combos already in the other thread. If I don't, I'll add these two and any applicable variations of them. Thanks!