What's new

Guide Smoke Combos!

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Can you queue a jump during the 3d12 animation? If so, I'll just to have worry about timing the 1/2.

I had assumed a dash is necessary in between each element of the combo. So I've been trying to 3d12 (dash) 32 (dash) 4; that might be my problem, because I can't seem to dash > 4; I'm either late on the 4, or I inadvertently input F4 (which also comes out late). Is a dash necessary after the 32? Perhaps my 32 is coming out late, thereby losing juggle height, because the first dash I unnecessary. I'll try not moving or just stepping forward before the 32 instead.

FrothyOmen

I'll try b23 instead of the 4, but as I mentioned above, I think my problem is unnecessary dashing. Until I get that fixed, I probably won't be able to land anything effectively.

Hold up while 3d12 is coming out and soon as your feet leave the ground hit that njp.

Also you DONT have to dash after 32. You can take a step forward or you can just stand there, both work fine.

what are the conditions to make the ex bomb to connect after the 4f? are there height restrictions, like, ex bomb wont connect unless f4 hits the opponent when hes about to touch the ground, or something like that?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
just so you all know, according to Tom "Bill Menoutis" Brady, NRS is fixing the reset by making f4 not special cancellable, and he said specifically into ANY special, not just SB.

I can neither confirm nor deny this, but making it not special cancellable at all would have to have been done on purpose (they don't have to remove special cancel entirely; there are moves in the game which can cancel only into some specials and not others).

If what TB has said is true, that's a significant additional nerf since Smoke will lose several combo ending set ups.

I would say get rid of the EX bomb OTG all together before nerfing f4 special cancelling.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
just so you all know, according to Tom "Bill Menoutis" Brady, NRS is fixing the reset by making f4 not special cancellable, and he said specifically into ANY special, not just SB.

I can neither confirm nor deny this, but making it not special cancellable at all would have to have been done on purpose (they don't have to remove special cancel entirely; there are moves in the game which can cancel only into some specials and not others).

If what TB has said is true, that's a significant additional nerf since Smoke will lose several combo ending set ups.

I would say get rid of the EX bomb OTG all together before nerfing f4 special cancelling.
No way. That would be beyond fucking stupid.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler

I would hope they understand enough to know that is way too big of a nerf. If they really do that it will shed some light on how half-assed they are treating some of the fixes that need to be made...

RiBBz22

thats only what he said; it's still just a rumor
Yea, like I said I think that would really be half-assed if it was true. Anyways, do we know if that is patched in the vita version? Does anyone have this to test?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Yea, like I said I think that would really be half-assed if it was true. Anyways, do we know if that is patched in the vita version? Does anyone have this to test?
vita version won't be out until next month earliest; feb 28th release was false info

RiBBz22

vita version won't be out until next month earliest; feb 28th release was false info
Ya, as soon as I posted I figured that it wasn't out yet due to lack of info hitting the forums. If they can remove OTG I do not see why they cannot figure out how to remove this. I am sure patching out these glitches takes some time and effort, but when a hotfix is promised they need to deliver with their own due diligence...not just some quick fix that negatively impacts a big part of the character's game.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
I wish the unscaled 10% ex smoke bomb off an air throw was more consistent. I remember KT saying that it is still unblockable, but only if you can air throw low enough and input the bomb precisely. I love having it as a tool, and although people don't expect it often it's still not guaranteed. I think if smoke could always get the 10% off of air throw and 214 enders, his damage would still be ridiculous without the reset.

Oh, and making f4 not be able to be canceled with any special move is just stupid. You're effectively making the move useless, IMO.

HD Smoke

Noob
Ya, as soon as I posted I figured that it wasn't out yet due to lack of info hitting the forums. If they can remove OTG I do not see why they cannot figure out how to remove this. I am sure patching out these glitches takes some time and effort, but when a hotfix is promised they need to deliver with their own due diligence...not just some quick fix that negatively impacts a big part of the character's game.
This ^ I use f4 into teleport all the time during a combo with smoke. If NRS is that dumb that they would ruin Smokes set ups because people cried and cried about Smoke (when he isnt even OP) than ill have no problems playing sfxt now. Why would you make a move such as f4 not special cancellable? I agree that the ex bomb reset is cheap and shouldnt be in the game but a ex bomb for a extra 10% just like scorpions hell fire should be in the game. If this rumor is true (which i hope it isnt just for the fact that NRS couldnt be this dumb) it might be time to move on. My cousin is a capcom and namco player and everytime he makes fun of mortal kombat i defend the game but when stuff like this comes up i really have no firepower to even try to defend NRS. Smoke is why i play this game, (just like other people play this game because of kitana, sub zero, ermac...etc) patching a BS reset is one thing but taking away a characters set ups and combo enders is another. People have overrated Smoke he is extremely good but not this broken character they say he is.

It's not even a big nerf honestly. All it really prevents smoke from doing is gaining a tiny bit more wall carry on his combos. He still has a 21 ender which is 1) just fucking fine 2) can be swapped w 214 on the fly to change whether or not smoke towards crosses up and 3) easier to land. It doesn't change the way smoke is played or even makes him worse, it just makes him less good if that makes sense. He's not dropping on the tier list or having any matchups affected because of this. It really doesn't matter at all, however dammit i'll miss f4 xx invis > whiff telepunch pressure...

HD Smoke

Noob
It's not even a big nerf honestly. All it really prevents smoke from doing is gaining a tiny bit more wall carry on his combos. He still has a 21 ender which is 1) just fucking fine 2) can be swapped w 214 on the fly to change whether or not smoke towards crosses up and 3) easier to land. It doesn't change the way smoke is played or even makes him worse, it just makes him less good if that makes sense. He's not dropping on the tier list or having any matchups affected because of this. It really doesn't matter at all, however dammit i'll miss f4 xx invis > whiff telepunch pressure...
I agree he wont drop at all, but i really use f4 into teleport alot which is a very good set up. The fact that the resets made NRS panic and ruin that set up is what is totally dumb. I'm not a high level tournament player but i have played this game since day 1 and have over 4,000 matches all with smoke so i have stuck with MK as it is my favorite game. I just feel like they could of found a better way to get rid of the ex bomb reset. This game is awesome but gets alot of hate outside the mk community and this doesnt help. I probably will stick to the game because i like smoke im just bitching right now because there are far dirtier things in this game lol. Smoke doesnt drop on tier list because of this but i too will miss f4 xx invis

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
dammit i'll miss f4 xx invis > whiff telepunch pressure...
that's his best set up IMO. losing it would be a pretty significant nerf the way I see it.

Will he lose any other set ups? Can you guys do some experimenting to see how much advantage you can get with a f4 combo ender and doing a special AFTER the move has recovered rather than cancelling it? I will test when I get home tonight.

I just think it's funny that they are trying to preserve a buff they gave him (air throw > EX SB for 10% and I can barely get it to work. Seems like it's a 1 frame link or something) by nerfing other stuff.

If they eliminate f4 canceling entirely, I believe they should ease up the timing of air throw > EX SB for 10%

Alternatively, they could make it so that only SB is not cancellable off of f4.

OR Tom Brady could be all together wrong. who knows.

colt ?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Remove f4 from the game entirely. Acquire OTG smoke bombs off jk xx airthrow with heavy damage scaling, 28% maximum :3
F4 is one of the best enders, sends them full screen, makes for good spacing for running away with a life lead. Taking it out would mean we end our combos in 214 or telepunch(both hits) for this, but IMO f4 is one of the best enders we have.

Also doing a f4 and then special without cancelling, a tp gets blocked, so you arent on as much advantage for the cross ups/oki as far as i can tell.

I'm not arguing f4 isn't a good or useful ender. It's fucking awesome. We still have it as an ender. But the lack of being able to cancel it into anything isn't really a huge deal. You can still throw a non-cancelled smoke bomb after it to check your opponent's block and stand him up if he doesn't wake up... plus you get free invis from full screen... idk I just fail to see how it affects him horribly bad. its just an annoyance and a shrinking of his toolbox that is unjust but doesnt really matter either.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I'm not arguing f4 isn't a good or useful ender. It's fucking awesome. We still have it as an ender. But the lack of being able to cancel it into anything isn't really a huge deal. You can still throw a non-cancelled smoke bomb after it to check your opponent's block and stand him up if he doesn't wake up... plus you get free invis from full screen... idk I just fail to see how it affects him horribly bad. its just an annoyance and a shrinking of his toolbox that is unjust but doesnt really matter either.
F4 isnt that fantastic outside of combos, so taking away its main combo ability (canceling into specials) would be unjustified and stupid. If they wanna get rid of the reset then just make it so they hit the floor earlier after a f4 instead of doing the roll animation, so that perfectly timed smoke bomb will only ever give 10% unscaled, which isnt anything to phone home about for 1 meter.