What's new

Match-up Discussion Shazam Match-Up Discussion

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
as much as possible try not to use shazam against GL, especially against a GL you know is decent.
If they have down the Instant Air Shots just go back to the character select Screen. Dont waste your time. Even if they don't know how to do it it is still fucking hard. Had to Play KT Smith this Weekend and even though he Doenst play the game that much and doesnt have the Shots down he still is good with Lantern. I just barely beat him.

Indecisive

the match isn't bad at all. Very winnable for Shazam
Explain why? Explain how it is not bad for us. I gave a long list of reasons on why it was bad a few pages back. Got no answer as to why its not that bad. Also its winnable if the Lantern Player is not that Good. No offense to all the Lanterns in Training.

Explain why? Explain how it is not bad for us. I gave a long list of reasons on why it was bad a few pages back. Got no answer as to why its not that bad. Also its winnable if the Lantern Player is not that Good. No offense to all the Lanterns in Training.
If you're good at timing teleports you can make GL waste meter if he tries to detonate them. GL is typically bad against vortex chars, because of his wake up options, and Shazam is kind of a vortex char. You have Ji2 cross up , you have the dash set ups, and torpedo set ups all while GL is on the ground. D1 torpedo gets him out of GLs B1 shenanigans. Gatling gun and lift are troublesome, but you can get around them. I've never played like a DJT or whoever is a noteable GL player, but I've never felt like I couldn't win against a GL how I feel like when I play a NW or Sinestro as Shazam.

Danger's not entirely wrong. . . Shazam has a few options. At the very least I feel like he out-damages GL pretty easily.

But it's such an uphill battle that I can't ever imagine it being an even match, let alone in Shazam's favor.

shinobispectre

Heart of A Champion, Skill of a Noob :P
So... to put into numbers, 7-3 GL? Not unwinnable but still an uphill battle and one mistake can or will kill any momentum you have in the match.

7-3 if the lantern is good.
That's not how matchup numbers work. The number is assuming highest level of play, the opponent always knows what they are doing.

That said I doubt it's 7-3, we probably just have a hard time with a hard matchup and are doubling the agony by not knowing what to do.

Indecisive

That's not how matchup numbers work. The number is assuming highest level of play, the opponent always knows what they are doing.

That said I doubt it's 7-3, we probably just have a hard time with a hard matchup and are doubling the agony by not knowing what to do.
At highest level its a 7-3. Highest level from both sides.
I agree that nw shazam is bad for shazam
Ya its pretty bad.

shinobispectre

What is the start of the matchup like for you guys? I opt to go for a backdash since most GLs I have played do the b1 chains and it beats practically everything... I think. On wakeup GL seems to suffer against crossups but I have to get timing down since the lift is essentially a wakeup anti air grab.

Indecisive

What is the start of the matchup like for you guys? I opt to go for a backdash since most GLs I have played do the b1 chains and it beats practically everything... I think. On wakeup GL seems to suffer against crossups but I have to get timing down since the lift is essentially a wakeup anti air grab.
Start of Match i expect a B1 for the most part. So i either block low or back up. On WU its a guessing game on whether the GL does WU lift or not. If you try to cross them up they can block it. If you go into 22 after a cross up they can back dash which is another guessing game really. But the lanterns goal is to stay full screen in this MU. So Instant Air Shots. Minigun, Etc. If they see you jumping they need to be careful they you are not out of lift range. Since if they do WU Lift and you are at a certain point in the air the lift will not get you and you get a punish.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
GL has a better vortex against shazam, cause your in not much of an advantage if you get out > reset-midscreen. there is a lot of specifics that you can discuss here and what ifs. this doesn't matter too much if its casual sets or online matches cause there isn't anything on the line. but on a match when it affects tournament life or maybe "money-matches", decisions become harder for shazam because not everything you throw is safe. shazam doesn't have a "safe" play. GL does thus making the GL players decisions easier - not resorting to reads/going full screen/waiting it out/ get a life lead and be an asshole/etc. which brings me back to what I was saying, choose a different character for the matchup. I picked batman.

shinobispectre

GL has a better vortex against shazam, cause your in not much of an advantage if you get out > reset-midscreen. there is a lot of specifics that you can discuss here and what ifs. this doesn't matter too much if its casual sets or online matches cause there isn't anything on the line. but on a match when it affects tournament life or maybe "money-matches", decisions become harder for shazam because not everything you throw is safe. shazam doesn't have a "safe" play. GL does thus making the GL players decisions easier - not resorting to reads/going full screen/waiting it out/ get a life lead and be an asshole/etc. which brings me back to what I was saying, choose a different character for the matchup. I picked batman.
Which is fine. I say the same thing about the Hawkgirl matchup. But at the same time picking a secondary does not have to stop attempts at finding strategies for the matchup. Nor does it stop discussion to solidify how to approach the matchup when stuck with Shazam.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
Which is fine. I say the same thing about the Hawkgirl matchup. But at the same time picking a secondary does not have to stop attempts at finding strategies for the matchup. Nor does it stop discussion to solidify how to approach the matchup when stuck with Shazam.
not stopping anything.

just too many variables for 1 match up. like you can opt to play footsie and be quicker to react when ur already n range of an hm, after jumping forward/nj instant air rockets/block dashing normal air rockets and blocking mini gun and then wait for trait mini gun to run out then walk in again. once shazam gets in range, if permits do a 22 then ac. if too far risk catching him with hm assuming gl holds back. if not you can either get a b1 to combo or gl suddenly jumps back to do rocket or just 1 to stop torpedo and dash ins... or if not close enough you can jump in 2 and land a hit if he commits a special move... this is just getting in to get things started.

shinobispectre

not stopping anything.

just too many variables for 1 match up. like you can opt to play footsie and be quicker to react when ur already n range of an hm, after jumping forward/nj instant air rockets/block dashing normal air rockets and blocking mini gun and then wait for trait mini gun to run out then walk in again. once shazam gets in range, if permits do a 22 then ac. if too far risk catching him with hm assuming gl holds back. if not you can either get a b1 to combo or gl suddenly jumps back to do rocket or just 1 to stop torpedo and dash ins... or if not close enough you can jump in 2 and land a hit if he commits a special move... this is just getting in to get things started.
Ah. Apologies, I misunderstood. Yeah a really annoying matchup.

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
I'm a new Shazam main (kind of), and I was curious as how to stop (or help against) an aggressive and j-2 happy Batman?