What's new

Match-up Discussion Shazam Match-Up Discussion

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Injustice is a constantly evolving game with new tech just around the corner. As such, the numbers set here by the moderation team are tentative and are subject to change.

5 -5

5 - 5

5 - 5

4 - 6

5 - 5

4 - 6

5 - 5

5 - 5

4 - 6

5 - 5

Last edited by a moderator:

GuamoKun

5 - 5

4 - 6

4 - 6

4 - 6

5 - 5

5 - 5

4 - 6

5 - 5

5 - 5

4 - 6

GuamoKun

4 - 6

4 - 6

5 - 5

5 - 5

4 - 6

6 - 4

4 - 6

4 - 6

5 - 5

4 - 6

ando1184

Noob
Can we get this thread started soon? It's been over 2 weeks and I think we should have some info on matchups by now guys? I do know that against grundy, if you do standing 2,2 during his bf3 throw he won't grab you and u get free dmg, can anyone else test this?

Grundy Talk?

F2 will beat bf3 throwbox and give you a f2 2 on hit into reset grab.

You can also trade your fast command throw with his longer animation ones and then recover in time to punish his whiff animation (For some reason command throws are invincible to command throws or something lol.)

Torpedo gets 40% punished so don't use it unless they don't know the proper punish. d2 will stuff all your jump ins so don't jump. Just play ground game, try to react to his trait grab when he throws them in strings and punish accordingly.

Don't let him get health bonus chain either, it's hard enough to kill him. Remember you can challenge his wakeup since you have f22 22 and your own command throw to beat his wakeups.

On Tuesday with all the changes I might write up a punish guide to a ton of special moves with the upcoming patch.

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
his bad match ups (or at least my bad match ups are)
RAVEN!! - this is horrible, i really dont know how to play this one
Aquaman - horrible, shazam doesnt have the footsies to compete

Any Shazamers have any ideas on these???

his bad match ups (or at least my bad match ups are)
RAVEN!! - this is horrible, i really dont know how to play this one
Aquaman - horrible, shazam doesnt have the footsies to compete

Any Shazamers have any ideas on these???
I think Shazam dominates the aquaman MU better than any other character in the game

Raven matchup you just wait and block her 80% screen grab before moving in, teleports are not options in this matchup. Her normals for some reason are really good though so you kinda have to respect it. Hard but not unwinnable. Her wakeup is really poor so get in and stay in. Free crossups since her anti air is pretty poor.​
Aquaman can't keep you out, and he can't compete too well inside since we can punish trident rush and punish a close range scoop. His trait is near useless since you should be using 2 hit knockdown strings against him anyway. And if you catch him sweating just command throw him.​
Deathstroke matchup is to stay out of range of his 3 and stay in range for command throw and torpedo. Getting in isn't the hard part, staying in is a lot harder. Sword flip is punishable with 2 2 HM or d3. In all honesty it's a horrible matchup for Shazam since he gets in only to get spaced out by Deathstroke normals and 50/50s that are all safe.​

Nightwing matchup is just knowing his frame data in staff and knowing when to poke out. He doesn't seem like too much of a threat to someone who has a 6f move like Shazam. WingDings and Seismos are decent keep out tools though. I personally think this is slight disadvantage.

I've been having tooooooons of issues with the Nightwing matchup lately. Dude pesters me from a distance with Wingdings and Seismos, switches to Staff d1d1d1d1d1d1d1d1d1d1d1d1d1d1d1 into his hitconfirm string and Shazam ain't got a thing to do against it. As for something I found for this matchup, if Nightwing does 1 Forward 1 into Seismo up close, Shazam can interrupt with stand 1, which can lead into 112, which is fantasaaaasstic.

Also, for the Grundy Matchup, I found that doing Back 2 on reaction to his Back Forward 3 grab makes Shazam safe and un-grabbable, while leaving him close for a full combo punish on Grundy. Also, Shazam can interrupt Grundy 112 into swamp hands with D1, haven't tried 112 in this scenario.

How are you guys handling the Harley Quinn matchup? I've only come across this character like 5 times, but she starts backing away and doing the gunshots then suddenly dashing in and kicking my feet into a 42% bnb. I don't like it. TYM pls halp.

b2 isn't good against Grundy if he does bf3 because if he so happens to cancel it he gets a full retaliation on you where f223 is completely safe and unthrowable. If you're expecting Grundy to 112 hands you're putting yourself at risk for a 112 WC mixup. You don't want to be in that position at all in the matchup. Stay away.

Harley Quinn is really annoying to fight. Her guns only do 3% but they are so fast and safe that you're going to be hit with them while getting in. Tantrum stance is an invincible wakeup and will stuff your command throw attempt on wakeup and punish you with equal damage to what you were doing. Learn her overheads and react to tantrum low and you should be fine in the matchup. Remember you can punish cartwheel with d1 torpedo.

Soulful Nigma

Black Fenrir
Vs slade. Been practicing and found that If he sword flips mid screen you can interrupt between the second and third spins with pretty much anything. I use 112, df3, d1, HM mb, f223, HM for 30%. You get 47% with trait. Any thoughts on this?

Sneak

Noob
if you block it at all you get a free punish regardless.. that sword flip move is ridiculously unsafe

Stuff about Grundy's WCC
yeah lol my post was made before I knew about the WCC. I haven't played anymore Grundy's since I heard about it, nor have they actually used this, but it's certainly scary. Changes the MU entirely imo.

I'm thinking the Hawkgirl MU is gonna be "just pick another character lol" tier, since no 22 into grab mixup/wing evade on wakeup can lead to a full combo for her, Shazam can't get past Mace Charge and he's just ass when it comes to being zoned out. On top of all that, her stuff is super safe (Corps Charge can't punish all her good strings or specials), so Shazam can't D1 xx Torpedo to even get anything started.

Actually, after that counter-Shazam tech, I'm a bit worried. I bet Bane, Grundy, Cyborg and maybe a few others can just say "lolnope" to 22 entirely with their reversal options (WCC, anything while in Venom for Bane, Zipline for Cyborg). That last one sounds disgusting to just think about, since if it works, he could just zip the other way and start IAFB-ing us to death. I'd test this but I'm a tad busy n stuffs >_>

Shazam, at the moment, has it really rough against these types of characters. I'm gonna try my best to stay with this guy, but dear god I need a secondary so bad lol.

22 guess throw is not going to be what you are doing in a few weeks once everyone knows the matchup. It's a horrible risk reward.

Just play Neutral game. Shazam is one of the few characters that has a very successful neutral.

Yeah I usually stick with f22 for most blockstrings. Cage, how do you do d1 torpedo, that's ridiculous, though bf would be much easier.
Never mind, d1 torpedo in alternate controls is still pretty easy. Does anyone else actually play alternate controls with Shazam?

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
The good matchups I have found -
Grundy.
Joker (Seems like an okay MU for Shazam not 100%)
Doomsday (I really believe he is one of the best characters to escape DD's pressure, although it still may be to DD)

The Bad Matchups I have found -
Batman dominates Shazam.
Aquaman seems to have a small advantage, but if played well Shazam doesn't fail too hard.
Catwoman (Only just, I feels like she's too nimble and quick for shazam, and she can dodge his bolts)

I'll look into Match ups closely, this is just the stuff i've got from playing people with GOOD characters here.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
my two biggest problems are green lantern and hawk girl
Green Lantern I thought was a problem, but he's easy as hell, just don't get punished by the ring grab and you're not losing, if you do he'll full combo you and send you out where you can get stuck for some time.