What's new

General/Other - Scorpion Scorpion General Discussion

Which variation do you use the most?

• Total voters

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
its +20 after the rc right? if its true we have a 5 frame window to be punished before the f4 goes off.
Yeah you can condition the opponent to block low after 214 Fireball Cancel with B3, then hit them with F4 when they don't expect it.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
What's going on with Scorpion?
I dont seem him being used much anymore.
Is he being being figured out and becomong just a regular charactet again.?
I seriously want him to finally shine :)

Vagrant

Noob
What's going on with Scorpion?
I dont seem him being used much anymore.
Is he being being figured out and becomong just a regular charactet again.?
I seriously want him to finally shine :)
He's still ridiculous in Hellfire. Just not as easy to use as the other two. Which is probably why you see less HF scorp.

I don't think he's just a regular character. I think he's in the top tier discussion.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
He's still ridiculous in Hellfire. Just not as easy to use as the other two. Which is probably why you see less HF scorp.

I don't think he's just a regular character. I think he's in the top tier discussion.
Hm. Well i was referring to him in general. On release he was everywhere. Slowly he just faded a bit. Not saying i wanna see an army of Spectres but i was just seeing if something was up.

This cancelling stuff is terrible online. Hellfire could be a bit useless for the online competitors lol.

Glass Sword

Nobody
I have been practicing Hellfire Scorpion cancels for awhile now and can't seem to get the second cancel down. I have watched videos and the stamina seems to go down further than mine on the second on my stamina bar just flashes red when I do the second run cancel after 214.
I looked around and could not find any tips. If there are disgrace my lack of search foo. If not help please.

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
Hellfire Scorpion can run cancel his Fire Ball like Jax Rocket Launcher. He can cancel and combo out of 21, 3, and b3 off the top of my head.
And f3, though it seems to have stricter timing.

In fact, flame aura, f3 xx fbc, run, b32f2 is a great combo to practice.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but could anyone help me out with this:
Backdashing through 214? What the hell?

This happened several times, including during a tournament that I attended, where my opponent simply ExSlide'ed through this string on me and then I was eliminated. I was like "Whaaaaaaaaaaat? :confused:"
How is such thing possible, and, more importantly, how the hell I prevent this from happening again? The AI would backdash out of it once in 20 rep or something, so it's totally inconsistent and I have no idea how to trigger this scenario.

Any insight is appreciated!
Back dashing has i-frames. You can have projectiles go right through you with good timing.

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
alright, so I've been looking into this, and I only have 2 hypotheses thus far.

The first one is that frame data is poorly coded, and that your standing 2 is hitting 1 frame earlier than it should. If you go into practice, set the ai to always block, and do a reversal/back dash, you will notice that from point blank range, Scorpion's 114 string can be interrupted about half the time, but at tip range, it's never interrupted. This, I believe is because the second hit connects 1 frame earlier than it otherwise would.

214, I guess, is coded so that 21 frametraps by 1 frame, and on occasion framedata can be imprecise. This would explain how they get a frame to move. There doesn't seem to be a consistent way to recreate this, but it's possible this may have something to do with framerate dips. That could also mean this might happen more often online.

My second theory is that it's simply a bug. Every game has a couple of them, not Mich we can do in this case except wait for a patch.

Last edited:

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
Yo check my post again because I've been doing some more testing and ended up rewriting my whole theory lol.

What? Everyone is wrong sometimes.

And f3, though it seems to have stricter timing.

In fact, flame aura, f3 xx fbc, run, b32f2 is a great combo to practice.
I'd argue that you'd be much better off practicing FA, 21~FBC, b32f2 as the link timing, FBC timing, and followup timing are all significantly easier for the same amount of damage.

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
I'd argue that you'd be much better off practicing FA, 21~FBC, b32f2 as the link timing, FBC timing, and followup timing are all significantly easier for the same amount of damage.
Standing 4 is the easiest for the most damage.

The combo I suggested was for practicing purposes, which is why I said it's good to learn, since it has the tightest inputs I can find.

Standing 4 is the easiest for the most damage.

The combo I suggested was for practicing purposes, which is why I said it's good to learn, since it has the tightest inputs I can find.
You can't FBC and combo out of 4 though. And I don't think slightly better practice for one half of a sequence is worth completely worthless and potentially detrimental practice for the second half of the sequence.

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
For longer combos, that use 2 flame auras, I find it best to end it after the second flame aura by linking it with 4 xx teleport.

hm i may be wrong but when you cancel his fireball after the 1,2,3 knockdown string you can land 2,1 and 1,2, 1,1 etc strings.. but i only got it one time so.. is it legit and does it lead to some good damage ?

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
hm i may be wrong but when you cancel his fireball after the 1,2,3 knockdown string you can land 2,1 and 1,2, 1,1 etc strings.. but i only got it one time so.. is it legit and does it lead to some good damage ?
Personally in hellfire I have no reason to use this string. The third hit has shitty range, and the full string generally doesn't offer anything over 114.

Also, the combos are super inconsistent, and that's not even considering the input difficulty. I would not invest in this string for hellfire.

But anyway, I found some neat combo ideas, I hope they haven't already been posted.

EX db3, run b12, db4, f4 bf1, fjp, 21 db3. 26%

In this combo, flame aura hits so late in it's active window that you can link with f4, which is fucking 25 frames. Not that damaging but I thought it was an interesting concept. Here's the most damage I could get without spending further meter after EX tp.

Ex db3, run b12, db4, run 214 db3, 21 bf1, fjp, 21 FBC 21 bf4. 33%

This also gave me ideas for the aerial teleport, and I learned you can straight up link air EX to with flame aura. This is cool because the launch height on ex teleport does not decrease in longer combos, and that means this is a consistent restand tool that's not a spear. For example:

214 db3, fjk EX db3, db4, f3 bf1, fjp, 21 FBC 4 db3. 38%

At the moment it doesn't seem like it beefs up the combos any, but it opens up more options. Perhaps Hellfire's combos are even more versatile than Inferno's.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I think it's easily Cassie. Aside from that, I'm not sure. He's pretty good.
Thanks. Made top 16 for ESL and I need to beat this Inferno Scorpion player to get into top 8 so I need to know who'll give me the best chance ;) Any specific variation of Cassie?

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Thanks. Made top 16 for ESL and I need to beat this Inferno Scorpion player to get into top 8 so I need to know who'll give me the best chance ;) Any specific variation of Cassie?
I'd say Hollywood. If you know how to handle Inferno Scorp zoning you'll be good if you know how to use Cassie. You can punish his f2 and b32f2 with cartwheel into vortex.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
What's everyones thoughts on the Lao matchup?

I've played Foxy on line and offline now and while the matchup doesn't feel that bad (Foxy is the only one I've played and he is far ahead at this point) I'd like to know what everyone thinks regarding Buzz saw.

Low hat pressure is an extremely risky guessing game on block, Scorpion's best contention options are B3, B1 and they just cannot compete with the range Lao has between B3, B2 and another low hat. Of course, there is always ex-spin which is a giant "lol brah" to your counter options.

Getting cornered is an absolute nightmare as well. His meter building is insane too, so even when you do open him up he pretty much always has a breaker and goes even with damage.

@Eddy Wang
@MITDJT
@Slips

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
What's everyones thoughts on the Lao matchup?

I've played Foxy on line and offline now and while the matchup doesn't feel that bad (Foxy is the only one I've played and he is far ahead at this point) I'd like to know what everyone thinks regarding Buzz saw.

Low hat pressure is an extremely risky guessing game on block, Scorpion's best contention options are B3, B1 and they just cannot compete with the range Lao has between B3, B2 and another low hat. Of course, there is always ex-spin which is a giant "lol brah" to your counter options.

Getting cornered is an absolute nightmare as well. His meter building is insane too, so even when you do open him up he pretty much always has a breaker and goes even with damage.

@Eddy Wang
@MITDJT
@Slips
Any video footage?
F0xy is tough, i haven't played a good Lao yet, so i can't give you anything without watching what F0xy is taking advantage of to counter it.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I do have a session I recorded against him this week, our connection isn't the best but fighting him offline didn't help matters much. I'll put up the session later tonight, if watching Scorpion get bodied constantly is upsetting then I recommend watching it with some booze handy :D

Video is up.

Last edited: