What's new

General/Other - Scorpion Scorpion General Discussion

Which variation do you use the most?

• Total voters
Can I ask what overhead and what low options does Scorpion have that lead into combos, preferentially to continue the vortex? I can combo into reset but I have a problem in how do I follow up. I'd like to know what my best options are.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Can I ask what overhead and what low options does Scorpion have that lead into combos, preferentially to continue the vortex? I can combo into reset but I have a problem in how do I follow up. I'd like to know what my best options are.
F4 is his only launching overhead and B3 is his launching low, you can either use spear, ex tele as the follow up to keep the combo going.

Beware F4 is quite slow though, so you are vulnerable to a counter using that.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I had no idea that I couldn't cancel infinitely out of 21 fireball cancel. Was doing it for like 30 minutes straight, was so frustrated, then I slowed it down a bit and really focused on holding 1 and watching the fireball cancel and realized it wouldn't let me. While it was incredibly frustrating it was a relief that my execution wasn't as bad as I had thought.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
What are you guys using for reliable anti-airs? I find D2 works consistently, and if it trades you win anyway. Flame Aura is also a pretty good anti-crossup.

Also, you can combo off of an anti-crossup D2 with run F3 xx Teleport. Gotta hit them on the way up though.

Could a mod sticky this thread please? @CrimsonShadow

Seems like Scorpion isnt in as many tournaments.
Whats going on here
Not fotm yet and people want to win with characters that others are already winning with.

Lol crimson, ninjutsu is faaar from useless. Gotta play it like a counter-hit style.

I'm not saying it's bojutsu good, but when youre midrange and the opponent is doing anything but holding block, you get a %30 combo. They Move up? Combo. Armor move? Combo. Jump? Combo.

Last edited:
Not fotm yet people want to win with characters that others are already winning with.

Lol crimson, ninjutsu is faaar from useless. Gotta play it like a counter-hit style.

I'm not saying it's bojutsu good, but when youre midrange and the opponent is doing anything but holding block, you get a %30 combo. They Move up? Combo. Armor move? Combo. Jump? Combo.
With the other variations he does that as well. Just with better tools.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
With the other variations he does that as well. Just with better tools.
In the other variations they get to wakeup, in Ninjutsu wakeup with meter becomes far less of a problem, which in turn help scorpion to lockdown every single character on knockdown. Basically he becomes in control.

In the other variations they get to wakeup, in Ninjutsu wakeup with meter becomes far less of a problem, which in turn help scorpion to lockdown every single character on knockdown. Basically he becomes in control.
Or you know, just block thier wake ups. Once trained not to wake up then go for set ups. Some wake ups can be whiff punished by a cross over teleport if read properly.

HeroesNZ

Well I mean not really because to stuff the wakeup Scorpion has to use a meaty F2 as they're waking up (which is a lot harder than it sounds due to delayed wakeups), which is barely any different from baiting a wakeup and punishing/using a specific setup in his other variations.

Not to mention his oki & damage simply just isn't as good in Ninjutsu as it is in Hellfire so the opponent wouldn't be as scared and prone to making mistakes.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Or you know, just block thier wake ups. Once trained not to wake up then go for set ups. Some wake ups can be whiff punished by a cross over teleport if read properly.
Yes across all variations

Well I mean not really because to stuff the wakeup Scorpion has to use a meaty F2 as they're waking up (which is a lot harder than it sounds due to delayed wakeups), which is barely any different from baiting a wakeup and punishing/using a specific setup in his other variations.

Not to mention his oki & damage simply just isn't as good in Ninjutsu as it is in Hellfire so the opponent wouldn't be as scared and prone to making mistakes.
Its not hard, if they delay the wakeup they can't wakeup attack anymore, also the threat of F2 is so great that the fear of having out only helps you to rarely use it which in turn you can bait wakeups, block and reversal punish, but due the fear they will stand blocking hoping to block a F2 or they will stand mashing d1 to tech a throw, this is where the fun starts, you can throw of course, or you can bait a tech throw and whiff punish with F2 or another throw.

Last edited:

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker

Its not hard, if they delay the wakeup they can't wakeup attack anymore, also the threat of F2 is so great that the fear of having out only helps you to rarely use it which in turn you can bait wakeups, block and reversal punish, but due the fear they will stand blocking hoping to block a F2 or they will stand mashing d1 to tech a throw, this is where the fun starts, you can throw of course, or you can bait a tech throw and whiff punish with F2 or another throw.
I don't understand the "threat" of f2. It's an unsafe mid that can break armor, but what's the harm in just sitting there blocking low? A throw? That's okay, I guess, but they could still mash out the d1 and they don't have to commit to not blocking. I think this is the great flaw in Ninjitsu: losing damage that is normally spectacular and also losing his strong 50/50 game from the other stances. Not only that, the new tools he gains are solid range but very unsafe. Just doesn't seem worth the payoff.

HeroesNZ

Its not hard, if they delay the wakeup they can't wakeup attack anymore, also the threat of F2 is so great that the fear of having out other only helps you to rarely use it which in turn you can bait wakeups, block and reversal punish, but due the fear they will stand blocking hoping to block a F2 or they will stand mashing d1 to tech a throw, this is where the fun starts, you can throw of course, or you can bait a tech throw and whiff punish with F2 or another throw.
I mean if they delay their wakeup then they can whiff punish F2. Also if the whole point of F2 is to stuff wakeups then why would you bait and punish a wakeup when you can do the same thing in every variation?

And why would they stand block F2 anyway, it's a mid and is unsafe up close. The only mixup Ninjutsu has is throw.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I don't understand the "threat" of f2. It's an unsafe mid that can break armor, but what's the harm in just sitting there blocking low? A throw? That's okay, I guess, but they could still mash out the d1 and they don't have to commit to not blocking. I think this is the great flaw in Ninjitsu: losing damage that is normally spectacular and also losing his strong 50/50 game from the other stances. Not only that, the new tools he gains are solid range but very unsafe. Just doesn't seem worth the payoff.
I mean if they delay their wakeup then they can whiff punish F2. Also if the whole point of F2 is to stuff wakeups then why would you bait and punish a wakeup when you can do the same thing in every variation?

And why would they stand block F2 anyway, it's a mid and is unsafe. The only mixup Ninjutsu has is throw.
LOL

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
That's not really a solid answer, both Heroes and I had valid points. Do you have anything to refute them?
Yes, i think you two underrate Ninjutsu way too much, i'm not denying that hellfire is better, but ninjutsu isn't that bad as you both said it is.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Well, Eddy, we're all ears. I must admit though, if the f2 thing is the best thing Ninjutsu has, then that's not saying much. Like, I get that Ninjitsu can have its purposes with the longer range normals, but there's nothing really to fear about doing f2 on wakeup than doing any other meaty attack.

HeroesNZ

Yes, i think you two underrate Ninjutsu way too much, i'm not denying that hellfire is better, but ninjutsu isn't that bad as you both said it is.
I didn't say Ninjutsu was bad, I said that Hellfire has better damage and oki, which is true.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Outside of maybe the Cassie mu, I don't think there's anytime I'd prefer Ninjitsu. And even the Cassie matchup is debatable cause the damage output is just awful in Ninjitsu. You'll still have to guess right more than she does. At least in Hellfire and Inferno you can dish out some good damage when you do guess right.

Ninjitsu's b2 just didn't want to come to the party in this variation for some reason. It does 3%, non-special cancellable, causes massive damage scaling in combos and causes massive gravity in combos..oh yea and totally unsafe.

Inferno has low demon to extend combos, Hellfire has flame aura. It FEELS like b2 should be the combo extender in Ninjitsu but it's not. It makes combos worse. I don't mind Ninjitsu's f2 was changed to an overhead, but man you'd think b2 would be put to a little more use to help make up for it.

^I personally like B2 vs back dashers, jump outs, ermac and kjin.

My big concern lately with f2 in ninja. Has been Liu Kang and Mileena ex kick and ball gliding past the second hit of it, but that's prob. A timing issue on my end.

Is Scorpion's f4 reactable offline? Some people are telling me that it is, but I have only been playing online for this game thus far so I wouldn't know.