What's new

Raiden Video: Blowing up the invincible teleport and interrupting strings

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Not sure if you meant this to be funny, but it is. No it's not a rushdown game, it just rewards rushdown! :coffee:
Offense and being active with moves that cause damage doesn't have to mean a close fast paced overwhelming game. The winner of each round was the person who had the opportunity to press more buttons in the round, regardless of position because so many characters possess different strengths.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Offense and being active with moves that cause damage doesn't have to mean a close fast paced overwhelming game. The winner of each round was the person who had the opportunity to press more buttons in the round, regardless of position because so many characters possess different strengths.
If you're rewarded more in a game when you're offensive as oppose to defensive, you'll be more inclined to label it a rushdown game. I understand being offensive doesn't necessarily mean you're rushing down though. But the way you worded it sounded funny :p

And THIS is exactly why tier lists are dumb. People's tier lists and placements are all based around their matchup experience and how well the matchup is played. Foxy and curbo being an even matchup against kenshi is a testament on how people need to get better at this game.

m2dave, I've played Maxter's cage and dizzy's cage. I was even able to beat maxter's cage with my Rain. People just don't know how to fight cage.

Cage is the flavor of the month.
True, knowing how to fight cage will keep someone from getting blown up completely when he gets in. Armor moves are a great way to make cage respect you, like rain's ex kick, sonya's ex cartwheel, and kabal ex dash. The video made by Reo should help ppl learn how to fight vs cage and random off topic question, is sektor's ex flame a wakeup you'd use instead of ex tele because ex flame has invincibility on wakeup?

IKizzLE

BloodHound
True, knowing how to fight cage will keep someone from getting blown up completely when he gets in. Armor moves are a great way to make cage respect you, like rain's ex kick, sonya's ex cartwheel, and kabal ex dash. The video made by Reo should help ppl learn how to fight vs cage and random off topic question, is sektor's ex flame a wakeup you'd use instead of ex tele because ex flame has invincibility on wakeup?
EX flame will get a shadow kick to the face. I just get up and block.
f3 when blocking is 0 on block so you can interrupt it. If they complete the string, then throwing out a low poke will stop the next knee. If they throw out a d3, d3 is -7 on block, so throw out a d3 of your own and you will be plus frames on hit, then can attack or get the hell out.

Yes, its a guessing game, and that is why Cage is a GREAT character, but people are acting as if when he gets in, he is unstopppable. And yes, if you have armor, YOU HAVE NO REASON TO COMPLAIN.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
m2dave, I've played Maxter's cage and dizzy's cage. I was even able to beat maxter's cage with my Rain. People just don't know how to fight cage.
No. High level players do know how to fight Cage. Rain has arguably the best defensive move in the game. So when the Cage player tries the usual f+3 shenanigans, he is going to get EX superkicked in the face a lot if he is not more careful. Rain also has access to a low-hitbox d+3 and armor on other EX special moves. This match up hardly demonstrates Cage's up close dominance because of Rain's defensive options, which are the best in the game in my opinion.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
And THIS is exactly why tier lists are dumb. People's tier lists and placements are all based around their matchup experience and how well the matchup is played. Foxy and curbo being an even matchup against kenshi is a testament on how people need to get better at this game.

Cage is the flavor of the month.
I absolutely do not do TIER LISTS

I do Player Tier lists in my head

I just am more comfortable w this and makes more sense to me personally

IKizzLE

BloodHound
No. High level players do know how to fight Cage. Rain has arguably the best defensive move in the game. So when the Cage player tries the usual f+3 shenanigans, he is going to get EX superkicked in the face a lot if he is not more careful. Rain also has access to a low-hitbox d+3 and armor on other EX special moves. This match up hardly demonstrates Cage's up close dominance because of Rain's defensive options, which are the best in the game in my opinion.
FYI, I did much better with Sektor. And I didn't use his 12b1 to interrupt f3 either. Nor does he have armor.

Another good example is the Wafflez vs Dizzy match. People who have experience against cage, do better against cage. And you can do better against cage USING any character, if you grind out the matchup.

No one's disputing cage is fundamentally broken up close but his dominance is blown way out of proportion because of people's lack of knowledge and experience on the matchup.

Everyone is living in the moment. Like I said after FR, let's give credit to the players (Curbo) instead of all to the character.

Now back to Raiden....

crossover/backdash

d3 is negative on hit, cages footsies are too good for rains lack of zoning or normals

M2Dave

Zoning Master
crossover/backdash

d3 is negative on hit, cages footsies are too good for rains lack of zoning or normals
Rain can zone just fine with 4,3 xx superkick, b+2,1+2, d+4, and water gun. All leave Rain at a good distance and/or frames on block. d+3 crouches under f+3. His AA options are among the most damaging ones in the game. His d+1 is among the best vs cross ups. Rain does fine vs Cage.

Rain can zone just fine with 4,3 xx superkick, b+2,1+2, d+4, and water gun. All leave Rain at a good distance and/or frames on block. d+3 crouches under f+3. His AA options are among the most damaging ones in the game. His d+1 is among the best vs cross ups. Rain does fine vs Cage.

yeah but hes not doing chip and if u footsie really poorly then you get hit by some of his stuff, but my point is if cage is exchanging blows up close then hes winning that fight, and all of those normals are easily whiff punished, or out kneed or poked. All rain has in that matchup for me is armor and the occasional lightning, i guess what u said with the d3 is itneresting but how viable is that when his d3 is negative on hit if im not mistaken, sounds like it could easily be counterpoked giving a free knee. if cage is patient nothing goes wrong for him like it might if hes too patient against other chars. Also rain doesnt have a way of out poking cage really (not like sonya or reptile). if u ask me rain has a tough time advancing in hes not keeping cage out very much. All cage has to to is read the armor once in a while and if u try to round house he can full punish with a jump unless u some how cancel and avoid it, then again if uc ross over rain can geyser and full combo off of that, but there are disttinct points when rain cant actually armor

but i think the only type of char that stops cage is one wiht options like sonya for spacing or maybe a kenshi (kabal obviously)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
yeah but hes not doing chip and if u footsie really poorly then you get hit by some of his stuff, but my point is if cage is exchanging blows up close then hes winning that fight, and all of those normals are easily whiff punished, or out kneed or poked. All rain has in that matchup for me is armor and the occasional lightning, i guess what u said with the d3 is itneresting but how viable is that when his d3 is negative on hit if im not mistaken, sounds like it could easily be counterpoked giving a free knee. if cage is patient nothing goes wrong for him like it might if hes too patient against other chars. Also rain doesnt have a way of out poking cage really (not like sonya or reptile). if u ask me rain has a tough time advancing in hes not keeping cage out very much. All cage has to to is read the armor once in a while and if u try to round house he can full punish with a jump unless u some how cancel and avoid it, then again if uc ross over rain can geyser and full combo off of that, but there are disttinct points when rain cant actually armor

but i think the only type of char that stops cage is one wiht options like sonya for spacing or maybe a kenshi (kabal obviously)
Rain also has splash. Which has pushback, has low disadvantage, and on hit pushes back a lot. Very good spacing tool for this matchup.

Rain can poke out Cage, he just has to space his shit. EX roundhouse alone means Cage has to be a lot more careful doing his f3 strings, and anything else in general.

To beat Cage, you obviously have to know how to deal with him, as well as have good fundamentals.

REO

Undead
Rain, that character with safe super armor. Trying to poke out of his super kick cancels is risky cause he can get 40%+ easily. Then to top it off, he gets 40%+ off a 9f attack and just about everything he does is safe. Oh, and he has a full screen launcher that you have to watch out for in trades.

I'm baffled and just astonished that many are not using this character.

Pig Of The Hut

Rain, that character with safe super armor. Trying to poke out of his super kick cancels is risky cause he can get 40%+ easily. Then to top it off, he gets 40%+ off a 9f attack and just about everything he does is safe. Oh, and he has a full screen launcher that you have to watch out for in trades.

I use him more lately

I would rather play against scorpion any day than a top level CSZ like J360 or pig. Scorpion and Sub imo are not better than CSZ.
Really? Because like when I play against j360 I'm hoping he brings out his CSZ, because I know if he brings out his Sektor or his Cyrax or his Cyblax or his Quan Chi or the super secret character he's been working on, it's just gonna be completely free for him. If he plays CSZ I can at least win some games maybe.

Pig Of The Hut

When I have time I'm gonna pick him up and make him my 4th or 5th. A character with good footsies and a safe armor attack is too good to pass up.
Yea with your Kabal knowledge and execution Rain would be an easy pick up

6 frame d1 and one of the best AA in the game

Armor everywhere

40%+ no meter

Mobile Armor

Yea he's good - too bad his teleport is ass without meter

When I have time I'm gonna pick him up and make him my 4th or 5th. A character with good footsies and a safe armor attack is too good to pass up.
Were it not for negative edge I would have played him. Rain was my favorite character in the older MK's. This version of rain is so not rain-like..

EX flame will get a shadow kick to the face. I just get up and block.
f3 when blocking is 0 on block so you can interrupt it. If they complete the string, then throwing out a low poke will stop the next knee. If they throw out a d3, d3 is -7 on block, so throw out a d3 of your own and you will be plus frames on hit, then can attack or get the hell out.

Yes, its a guessing game, and that is why Cage is a GREAT character, but people are acting as if when he gets in, he is unstopppable. And yes, if you have armor, YOU HAVE NO REASON TO COMPLAIN.

Actually when you see curbo and foxy play , I dont think they make a lot of use of pokes, like a lot of other cages do, because pokes are negative on block. d3's and d1's should not be used that much like some people do. IMO it all revolves on that 21f2 f3 and 11f1 mixups its very important as a cageplayer to hitncofirm everything. Its a guessing game on when the strings are gonna finish and if you block the strings, cage can use ex fireball to continue the guessing game and if you guess wrong you eat a nutpunch and youre right back in it again.

I would rather play against scorpion any day than a top level CSZ like J360 or pig. Scorpion and Sub imo are not better than CSZ.
Well actually scorpion is kind of similar to raiden in the way that they are an experience character, youre gonna get bodied as a scorpion player if you don't know the matchup. A lot of people label scorpion as bad right now because of final round 5vs5 but when the game enters a later stage, I really think scorpion will be a dangerous character. Youre gonna play the character with different footsies, both raiden and scorpion kind of need the other opponent to do something in order for them to get started.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
I've been using Rain he came out and he is on a similar level to my sektor. I've been running hours upon hours of matches online with Detroits Kabal and he murders my sektor but rain does very well. You need to get on so I can try both matchups as well.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Yea with your Kabal knowledge and execution Rain would be an easy pick up

6 frame d1 and one of the best AA in the game

Armor everywhere

40%+ no meter

Mobile Armor

Yea he's good - too bad his teleport is ass without meter
Rain's d1 is borderline broken imo. The hitbox on that thing is plain dumb.
Not to mention traveling armor that disregards every other characters armor in the game.
I pulled him out offstream at FR to beat Wafflez cuz I was gonna lose if I picked Sektor.
I will be pulling him out at MLG for all the kabals, smokes, and kenshis.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now

ive been saying this since mlg, and that is actually my anti cage character i picked up while everyone was too busy focusing on kenshi, CYRAX PT2 WITH ARMOR BITCHES

Pig Of The Hut

Rain's d1 is borderline broken imo. The hitbox on that thing is plain dumb.
Not to mention traveling armor that disregards every other characters armor in the game.
I pulled him out offstream at FR to beat Wafflez cuz I was gonna lose if I picked Sektor.
I will be pulling him out at MLG for all the kabals, smokes, and kenshis.
For Kenshi you say?

Hmm

Speak of the devil can you please compare me kenshi's d1 to rain d1?

How do they compare in AA and cross over AA?

Pig Of The Hut

I've been using Rain he came out and he is on a similar level to my sektor. I've been running hours upon hours of matches online with Detroits Kabal and he murders my sektor but rain does very well. You need to get on so I can try both matchups as well.
Your Rain is the best ive ever played