What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
I have a question on how to do those damn new bnb's. I can't find a way to do the 2 1~spin, JK,DK, Roll~spin, 2 4 1+3, 2. How in the hell do you connect the 2 4 1+3 after the spin. Do you dash or just time it perfectly? I'm also having trouble with connecting the 2 4 1+3 after the IADK in the 2 1~spin, JK, DK, IADK, 2 4 1+3, 2 bnb. Any tips or advice on connecting that damn 2 4 1+3 will be very appreciated.
The 2,4 1+3 after the spin is a just frame. That combo (i.m.o) is too difficult to try and perfect for tournament play. In stead you could try 21 spin Jk Dk 1 Dk 2,4 1+3. It's the same damage and it's alot easier. For the Jk Dk Iadk bnb, try scooting up closer to her while she's in the air after the spin.

Also, I randomly figured out that Sonya's Ex Cartwheel can be negated by a down 4. Like seriously, D4 beats her ex cartwheel and maybe the regular one as well. Anybody want to confirm this for me?

And since i'm feelin' generous today, here's a kung lao corner combo I made up.
Njp Tele 4, 3 ex hat, Jk Tele 3 spin, 3 ex hat, Jk Tele 3 2,4 1+3. 56% no just frame 58% just frame.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
The 2,4 1+3 after the spin is a just frame. That combo (i.m.o) is too difficult to try and perfect for tournament play. In stead you could try 21 spin Jk Dk 1 Dk 2,4 1+3. It's the same damage and it's alot easier. For the Jk Dk Iadk bnb, try scooting up closer to her while she's in the air after the spin.

Also, I randomly figured out that Sonya's Ex Cartwheel can be negated by a down 4. Like seriously, D4 beats her ex cartwheel and maybe the regular one as well. Anybody want to confirm this for me?

And since i'm feelin' generous today, here's a kung lao corner combo I made up.
Njp Tele 4, 3 ex hat, Jk Tele 3 spin, 3 ex hat, Jk Tele 3 2,4 1+3. 56% no just frame 58% just frame.
Thx for the tips. I will hit the lab this evening test things out.

Obs_SmSwag

no that is not true, but first of all, you dont want to ever do that overhead end.
That's absolutely how you do the overhead hat, i'm reasonably certain. But it's pretty negative on block, so unless you're fighting a player who's unaware of that or can't react fast enough to punish/pressure, I suggest using sparingly if at all.

Obs_SmSwag

If you're sliding your fingers across the buttons quickly the game reads it as both buttons being pressed (works with every move in the game that needs 2 buttons), idk that's how I do it. Never tried it any other way.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
If you're sliding your fingers across the buttons quickly the game reads it as both buttons being pressed (works with every move in the game that needs 2 buttons), idk that's how I do it. Never tried it any other way.
I did punish the overhead hat online a few times today so thanks for that tip.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
What's up brothers in Shaolin. Can anybody shed some light on the Kung Lao vs Jax match up. I have 0 experience fighting Jax with any character so anything you guys show me would be extremely helpful.

What's up brothers in Shaolin. Can anybody shed some light on the Kung Lao vs Jax match up. I have 0 experience fighting Jax with any character so anything you guys show me would be extremely helpful.
- 21spin his f41 string.
- f4 overhead smash can be spinned out of.
- dont let him get point blank against you too much because he is pretty dangerous when he is at point blank, because his pokes are better than yours and he has safe armor which is always a good tool to counter lao's pressure.
- use projectiles to zone him, his normal hat can avoid groundpounds
- d4 into 24 works great in this matchup.
- 24 overhead on knockdown leaves you at great advantage, on knowckdown he will have to deal with hats and f2 overhead again, if you think he is going to jump do a safely spaced jumpkick,dive kick, which catches him in the air if he jumps for full combo.
- neutral duck his dash punch and punish it with 21 spin.
- he cant groundpound cancel against you on knockdown because he cant recover fast enough to block your ex spin.
- you dont teleport in this matchup until you have found a habit that can be blown up by teleport 3 combo. for example if you jumpkick his anti crossover he will probably start to uppercut you, if he does an uppercut to prevent you from crossing him over, you do a crossover teleport to whiff punish his uppercut.
- do not break his combos, he doesnt do any good damage midscreen

lao is not supposed to zone or rush jax down, kung lao outfootsies jax and blows jax up for trying to rush kung lao down without thinking twice.

Obs_SmSwag

I wouldn't try pressuring Jax as Lao's pressure is nearly non-existent on low hitbox chars like Jax.

Don't worry to match though, this match is pretty easy, F4 gets him an uppercutted at least. Zoning gets him instant air dive kicked, and his pressure tools are beaten down drastically without F4. I used to main Jax and my lil bro used to main Lao, it's a fairly difficult match for Jax.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
- 21spin his f41 string.
- f4 overhead smash can be spinned out of.
- dont let him get point blank against you too much because he is pretty dangerous when he is at point blank, because his pokes are better than yours and he has safe armor which is always a good tool to counter lao's pressure.
- use projectiles to zone him, his normal hat can avoid groundpounds
- d4 into 24 works great in this matchup.
- 24 overhead on knockdown leaves you at great advantage, on knowckdown he will have to deal with hats and f2 overhead again, if you think he is going to jump do a safely spaced jumpkick,dive kick, which catches him in the air if he jumps for full combo.
- neutral duck his dash punch and punish it with 21 spin.
- he cant groundpound cancel against you on knockdown because he cant recover fast enough to block your ex spin.
- you dont teleport in this matchup until you have found a habit that can be blown up by teleport 3 combo. for example if you jumpkick his anti crossover he will probably start to uppercut you, if he does an uppercut to prevent you from crossing him over, you do a crossover teleport to whiff punish his uppercut.
- do not break his combos, he doesnt do any good damage midscreen

lao is not supposed to zone or rush jax down, kung lao outfootsies jax and blows jax up for trying to rush kung lao down without thinking twice.
Thank you PerfectMindGame and i really mean it. My mk gameplay has been almost completely shaped by you guys from Test Your Might and Tom Brady's (I used to main Sub-Zero) input. Here in Aruba there is no other way to really learn about this game. I really appreciate when you guys share your strats and tech. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the Reptile and Mileena match ups? On the 16th of december I'm going to compete in our local major in Aruba and all the info I can get is really priceless so I can be ready with KL. The reason i ask about these match ups is because there are two players that are threats at the major. One is supposedly a legendary Jax player from Aruba but tbh I never once saw him play at any casuals night or tourny. The other is the reigning Aruba Major League Gaming champion who mains a vicious Reptile and has a monstrous Mileena. I haven't played him either but i managed to beat all his training partners at a local tourney couple of weeks ago. I really want to do good this december and maybe take this coming major so your help is really invaluable too me. Thx in advance.

Thank you PerfectMindGame and i really mean it. My mk gameplay has been almost completely shaped by you guys from Test Your Might and Tom Brady's (I used to main Sub-Zero) input. Here in Aruba there is no other way to really learn about this game. I really appreciate when you guys share your strats and tech. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the Reptile and Mileena match ups? On the 16th of december I'm going to compete in our local major in Aruba and all the info I can get is really priceless so I can be ready with KL. The reason i ask about these match ups is because there are two players that are threats at the major. One is supposedly a legendary Jax player from Aruba but tbh I never once saw him play at any casuals night or tourny. The other is the reigning Aruba Major League Gaming champion who mains a vicious Reptile and has a monstrous Mileena. I haven't played him either but i managed to beat all his training partners at a local tourney couple of weeks ago. I really want to do good this december and maybe take this coming major so your help is really invaluable too me. Thx in advance.
kung lao wins jax matchup 6-4 imo. you should play a turtle style against mileena, work on the punishes against mileena, for example punish her roll on block with jumpkick divekick into roll spin into 1 1 24grab. 2 things you need to make sure is you punish mileena hard if you block her unsafe specials, the second thing is be sure you can punish her ex teleport, the easiest way is to just uppercut, but I reccomend d1 into 1,1,1,24grab. her d4 is a pain in the ass if she does it endlessly just spin it, also d4 loses to jumpkick.

another big thing is, she cant punish low hat on block properly. so she has to guess between your overhead or low.

Obs_SmSwag

Reptile vs Lao is easy mode i.m.o his zoning gets bodied by tele shenanigans, his dash is 35% combo'd on reaction with 2,1 spin. You do have to watch out for his D4, and amazing rep players might punish 2 4 overhead hat (I'd say you try it and see before you neglect it in the MU). As far as Mileena, watch out for her D4 and fuzzy guard her U4/B3 mix ups. Ex tele can be full combo'd by a spin if you Stand block the first hit and crouch block the 2nd hit. I wouldn't suggest you spin her d4, do a deep jump in kick. I'm working on some new deep jump kick tech rigt now with Lao, i'll keep you guys updated.

Reptile vs Lao is easy mode i.m.o his zoning gets bodied by tele shenanigans, his dash is 35% combo'd on reaction with 2,1 spin. You do have to watch out for his D4, and amazing rep players might punish 2 4 overhead hat (I'd say you try it and see before you neglect it in the MU). As far as Mileena, watch out for her D4 and fuzzy guard her U4/B3 mix ups. Ex tele can be full combo'd by a spin if you Stand block the first hit and crouch block the 2nd hit. I wouldn't suggest you spin her d4, do a deep jump in kick. I'm working on some new deep jump kick tech rigt now with Lao, i'll keep you guys updated.

reptile is not easy mode at all it is 5-5 reptile doesnt get destroyed by teleports at all. and if I recall correct the spin will whiff if you use it to punish mileena ex tele, in any case spin is not the proper way to punish the ex tele. also you will have to spin to beat her d4 sometimes, because like it or not you are going to eat a lot of d4's in this matchup and you will have to make them respect the spin otherwise they will throw out d4's all day as if they are allowed to do it without having any risk involved.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
reptile is not easy mode at all it is 5-5 reptile doesnt get destroyed by teleports at all. and if I recall correct the spin will whiff if you use it to punish mileena ex tele, in any case spin is not the proper way to punish the ex tele. also you will have to spin to beat her d4 sometimes, because like it or not you are going to eat a lot of d4's in this matchup and you will have to make them respect the spin otherwise they will throw out d4's all day as if they are allowed to do it without having any risk involved.
I noticed in training mode that it is indeed hard to connect even tele instant 3 on Reptile when he is throwing out acid balls. Probably my timing was a bit off. But his wake up can almost completely be negated by jumping over him. He can't catch you with anything. But I'm still green on this match up. How would you describe this match up PerfectMindGame?