What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Hey guys, I'm trying to pick up Lao for Liu's bad MU's. (It is another mirror I enjoy as well, next to Subby)

I was wondering what the b-line is to Lao. I know not to use Low Hat for his pressure game. (Courtesy of UFG) As of right now I'm using his 1121 as his main pressure string. Though I'm just mindlessly doing it, I don't know the reasoning behind it. I use b33 into Spin to keep them blocking low. I rarely use his 24 string. I usually use it to end a round, and never use 24 Low Hat. d3 and Spins after 1121 to prevent them from poking. I only know his pressure game. I feel like I'm doing something wrong here, or rather, I'm missing something.

What can I do to improve my Lao?

Well, start off by using his 21 string more often. 2 is 7 frames compared to his 1 which 10 frames. 1121 should only be used after something that jails the opponent, like a jip, a stagger, or a delayed tele 3. But his best pressure string is 212121, so you can pretty much replace all your 1121 opportunities with 212121. 1121 is just more hit comfirmable than 212121, in most other situations 21 or 24 is better. 21 is neutral on block, so dont worry about throwing it out there. After a blocked 21, dont be afraid to do another. Its 7 frames, so its unlikely that you'll get combo'd back. If your opponent pokes, keep that in mind. Do a delayed spin next time, spin beats all pokes and you'll get a free combo. 21 is his BEST string along with 24, use it as much as possible

Dont use low hat in mixups except for ex mindgames (i use it like Subby's ice clone) and to end a round. I prefer grabs to get the opponent to stop stand blocking,but any competent player shouldnt be stand blocking KL anyways.

B33 is pretty harshly negative on block, and since KL thrives on being neutral or +frames at all times, i would throw this out RARELY. Also very hard to hit confirm, you have to preemptively input b33 spin, which is also a massive downer. Using it sparingly, i find it useful after a crossup jip. Grabs and the 24 string works really well if you want to check the opponent low however.

My whole mindset behind KL pressure is to use the neutral strings and bait that counterpoke. Once you get them counterpoking, you can counter thier counter (counterception) with a spin into full combo, 30+ percent.

Also, study this shit like the Bible:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/kung-lao-2-0-guide.15364/

and lastly, i demand mirror matches online to help you out. Not this weekend though, i got a shit-ton of homework to do :p

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Hey guys, I'm trying to pick up Lao for Liu's bad MU's. (It is another mirror I enjoy as well, next to Subby)

I was wondering what the b-line is to Lao. I know not to use Low Hat for his pressure game. (Courtesy of UFG) As of right now I'm using his 1121 as his main pressure string. Though I'm just mindlessly doing it, I don't know the reasoning behind it. I use b33 into Spin to keep them blocking low. I rarely use his 24 string. I usually use it to end a round, and never use 24 Low Hat. d3 and Spins after 1121 to prevent them from poking. I only know his pressure game. I feel like I'm doing something wrong here, or rather, I'm missing something.

What can I do to improve my Lao?
1121 is 0 on block and 2 is 7 frames, if the opponent stays standing after the 1121 you can do 2 4 or 2 1 for free against everybody but Sektor. B33 is only really useful as a punish if you dont wanna drop it since people will be ducking you anyway.

2 4 is only -1 on block, so its useful against characters with normals that are 9 frames or more and usually people expect a follow up after the 2 4, usually overhead now.

When a string is 0 on block you use it to condition your opponent to react in a certain way, say you do 1121 and you give them the opportunity to poke you a couple of times, you are the open to spin if they think they can poke.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Wow! Thanks to SunnyD, UsedForGlue, and A F0xy Grampa my Lao has turned out nicely! I've been pwning people online like you won't believe. ;)

UFG pretty much coached me, and we haven't even talked!
F0xy gave me some fundamental info that I now know why I'm doing something.
And SunnyD stinks. (actually)

I still feel like I'm missing something though. Something...fundamental. Though this isn't the place to ask.

Thanks guys! :D

Edit: I realize I shouldn't have posted this in here, but it was late. And I can't think of anywhere else to put it. Sorry.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
A few questions.

I'm gonna sound like an idiota here, but everyone says Lao has mobility. Where does that come from? Teleporting? Rolling? I would say Divekick, but thats punishable on block. Is there any technique you guys use to know where your Divekick will bring you?

Is there any technique you guys use to hit 21212(1) easier, or does it just take practice?

I've nailed his meterless combo. What is his "1 bar of meter" BnB?

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
A few questions.

I'm gonna sound like an idiota here, but everyone says Lao has mobility. Where does that come from? Teleporting? Rolling? I would say Divekick, but thats punishable on block. Is there any technique you guys use to know where your Divekick will bring you?

Is there any technique you guys use to hit 21212(1) easier, or does it just take practice?

I've nailed his meterless combo. What is his "1 bar of meter" BnB?
No bad questions here dude.

His mobility is really his f3, teleport and divekicks yes. Dive kicks are often 'whiffed' to land just in front of the opponent in order to close the distance quickly.

21212 just takes practice. Personally I roll my thumb over the buttons. Just do it quickly and accurately as its easy to get the overhead at the end which is easy to punish on block.

His one bar BnB is 112~ (or 21) spin, jump kick~dive kick, dash, 2~ex hat, dash 1, dash 1, dash 24, 1+3, 2. It takes practice so try and break it down one stage at a time. Have a read of the 2.0 Kung Lao guide its got some great stuff in it.

Hope this helps.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
No bad questions here dude.

His mobility is really his f3, teleport and divekicks yes. Dive kicks are often 'whiffed' to land just in front of the opponent in order to close the distance quickly.

21212 just takes practice. Personally I roll my thumb over the buttons. Just do it quickly and accurately as its easy to get the overhead at the end which is easy to punish on block.

His one bar BnB is 112~ (or 21) spin, jump kick~dive kick, dash, 2~ex hat, dash 1, dash 1, dash 24, 1+3, 2. It takes practice so try and break it down one stage at a time. Have a read of the 2.0 Kung Lao guide its got some great stuff in it.

Hope this helps.
Thanks dood! I'll make sure to use f3 a bit more.

Hm, alright. I suspected it was just practice, but wanted to see if there was any techniques anyone used. I'll be sure to practice it.

Practice practice practice! Can't wait to do this in a match. (combo)

Again, thanks man! :)

Is it really possible to punish blocked d1's with a spin? I did it to a Smoke player twice. Can anyone confirm this?
if you block a poke it will have pushback and I dont know if its is even possible to punish blocked pokes because otherwise people would be punishing them with liu kangs b3 johnny cages f3 and stuff. the reason you hit the smoke player with the spin is because they probably tried to do d1 twice.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
A F0xy Grampa, Death

How do I do the double dive kick combo (i.e., 1,1,2 xx spin, JK xx DK, DK, 2,4,throw,2)? I either botch the second dive kick or I am out of range to hit 2,4. Any tips?

what do i suppose to do against kanos knife i mean when i teleport or use dive kick he beats me with his ball :)
please answer my question i know its really stupid but i will be happy if you answer

do you guys have the same problems playing online? like
when you hitconfirm into spin, a teleport just comes out...
dash up 21 becomes f2. 24 becomes standing 4... jumpkick(3) into teleport becomes standing 3...jumpkick(4) dive kick becomes standing 4.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
do you guys have the same problems playing online? like
when you hitconfirm into spin, a teleport just comes out...
dash up 21 becomes f2. 24 becomes standing 4... jumpkick(3) into teleport becomes standing 3...jumpkick(4) dive kick becomes standing 4.
Don't use the 360 controller....all trolling aside, yeah I have had f2 come out on me prematurely. You just have to work at making sure those attacks don't come put by accident.

Don't use the 360 controller....all trolling aside, yeah I have had f2 come out on me prematurely. You just have to work at making sure those attacks don't come put by accident.
I use ps2 pad, I never have these issues unless it is online, the thing that is happening here is when you jumpkick, they dont register the up button and do register the 3 because the first input got lagged out, and the f2 is just happening because you dash forward harder than online because you want to make sure it does happen.

Btw that kung lao picture is godlike where did you get it.

Why do KL players always start matches off with a roll? The move has some of the worst priority
it has a lot of range, safe on block and hits mid, its to get in, but I do know some kung players abuse it too much. It doesnt have good priority but for a move with that much range it is pretty fast and its not like you can stick a normal out on reaction and beat it.

I dont use it that much to start a match but maybe its because people are waiting for a jumpin to anti air you, if thats the case you can surprise them for a roll.

it has a lot of range, safe on block and hits mid, its to get in, but I do know some kung players abuse it too much. It doesnt have good priority but for a move with that much range it is pretty fast and its not like you can stick a normal out on reaction and beat it.
I know about the positives of the move. KL players barely use the move outside of the start of the 1st round. From max distance its easy to react to and can be blown up with any combo because his hitbox isn't lowered at all

I know about the positives of the move. KL players barely use the move outside of the start of the 1st round. From max distance its easy to react to and can be blown up with any combo because his hitbox isn't lowered at all
Maybe because some guys use it and the rest just goes along? I know I dont overuse it and depending on the matchup I either jumpkick dive kick over them in case they jump or I just back away. f2 does the trick for me as well. And I know it is horrible on whiff too. kung lao is a character that is easily misunderstood, there are a few kung lao players that really know the character imo.

Maybe because some guys use it and the rest just goes along? I know I dont overuse it and depending on the matchup I either jumpkick dive kick over them in case they jump or I just back away. f2 does the trick for me as well. And I know it is horrible on whiff too. kung lao is a character that is easily misunderstood, there are a few kung lao players that really know the character imo.
I use it in combos and for oki. using it to close the distance is risky against zoners imo.

I use it in combos and for oki. using it to close the distance is risky against zoners imo.
its good against low hitbox characters imo, for example the roll is very good against mileena, because lao lacks a mid hitting string, so mileena can throw a lot of d4 out to keep lao out, f3 roll is a very good tool in this matchup

its good against low hitbox characters imo, for example the roll is very good against mileena, because lao lacks a mid hitting string, so mileena can throw a lot of d4 out to keep lao out, f3 roll is a very good tool in this matchup
I use it after a knockdown. I abuse it against characters with a shitty wakeup game.

I sometimes do that after 24 overhead, because it is perfectly spaced, otherwise I dont like it because it is -3 on block and I like to make people guess if they are knocked down.
Most people don't use the positive advantage on block wisely lol. After a blocked roll instead of using the +3 or so to their advantage they opt to poke.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
I have a question on how to do those damn new bnb's. I can't find a way to do the 2 1~spin, JK,DK, Roll~spin, 2 4 1+3, 2. How in the hell do you connect the 2 4 1+3 after the spin. Do you dash or just time it perfectly? I'm also having trouble with connecting the 2 4 1+3 after the IADK in the 2 1~spin, JK, DK, IADK, 2 4 1+3, 2 bnb. Any tips or advice on connecting that damn 2 4 1+3 will be very appreciated.