What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

I noticed in training mode that it is indeed hard to connect even tele instant 3 on Reptile when he is throwing out acid balls. Probably my timing was a bit off. But his wake up can almost completely be negated by jumping over him. He can't catch you with anything. But I'm still green on this match up. How would you describe this match up PerfectMindGame?
I am not as knowledgeable on this matchup as the mileena and jax matchup but there are some things that work very well against reptile.

- kung lao mobility: jumpkick dive kicking over the reptile player is something he doesnt really ahve a solid option against. this is obviously a great option to escape his forceball setups. and it is also a way to make use of your teleports setups if you mix it with dive kicks.
- low hats work very well full screen. you dont want to do it any close because he can whiff a dash and jump in on you for full combo.
- reptile doesnt have a good anti cross up defense. he can use d4 to beat your crossovers but you can co a crossover deep jumpkick into roll spin for a combo, which does beat d4.
- 21 is indeed an easy punish for his dash, if you noticed youre a bit late after blocking his dash you can use 21212 hitconfirm if youre not too sure if youre fast enough to punish him. 21212 cancel into ex teleport makes 2121 safe if he doesnt have x ray.
- dont make him space his dash so he can whiff it to get right in your face. either be full screen or at the range where you can block his dash to punish it.

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Tele 2 hits on duck, combo = 35%. Make sure you tried the spin on Mileena's ex tele before you say it doesn't work. I LITERALLY do it every time a play a Mileena.

I mained Mileena/Jax and play top reptiles online as well as picked him up for a month to help my little brother, that's not saying much but I know the match-ups Reptile doesn't have a good anti cross-up defense? Neutral jump punch much?

Fuck it, i'm not gonna argue match-ups or punishes with you. If you feel you know it all it's fine, i'm here to help people who actually want to learn something.

Edit: Make sure you stand block the first hit and crouch block the second hit on Mileena's ex tele.

PerfectMindGame

Tele 2 hits on duck, combo = 35%. Make sure you tried the spin on Mileena's ex tele before you say it doesn't work. I LITERALLY do it every time a play a Mileena.

I mained Mileena/Jax and play top reptiles online as well as picked him up for a month to help my little brother, that's not saying much but I know the match-ups Reptile doesn't have a good anti cross-up defense? Neutral jump punch much?

Fuck it, i'm not gonna argue match-ups or punishes with you. If you feel you know it all it's fine, i'm here to help people who actually want to learn something.

Edit: Make sure you stand block the first hit and crouch block the second hit on Mileena's ex tele.

PerfectMindGame
dude what the hell, I was just helping the guy in a friendly manner and you start getting all butthurt. listen I will go into the lab just for arguments sake but have you made sure you could spin ex tele even if the mileena did not cancel into sai or did cancel into sai, both options need to be punished by the same method. and youre not tele 2 all day on reptile because its still a slow move and you wont catch players too much with it if the reptile players doesnt really have to deal with instant tele 3. reptiles hitbox is semi-low.

listen you can ask@FOREVER KING reptile doesnt get destroyed by teleports, he is not kenshi or sheeva lol. and anyone can neutral jump punch and im sorry but that is a dumb argument to say reptile has a good anti crossup defense because first of all anyone can neutral jump punch so does subzero also have a good anti cross up defense now? ofcourse not because you need to know the player is gonna cross you up instead of being able to do it on reaction.

about the mileena matchup, perfect legend and tom brady both spin mileena as well if she gets greedy. and kung lao can still spin her follow up if her d4 hits you from afar. so how is spinning not a worry for mileena

also this is a forum so if I think or know you put up wrong information out im going to discuss it, same thing if I said stupid shit you would correct me to help this solid guy right?

Obs_SmSwag

What do you mean did I go in the lab, I use that spin tech vs Mileena in fights... There's no longer any experimenting that is needed, it works. I'm not getting butt hurt, you sound ridiculously arrogant and it's kind of annoying. I never said he gets blown up by Teleport shenanigans, I said his zoning does. He can't zone Lao out.

Also, Anti-cross up defense is all about the player dog not the damn character. Unless you have a sonya/sektor crouching hitbox or a damn Cyrax/jax braindead anti-air grab. PLAYERS have good anti-cross up defense, not characters. Spin punishing a D4 is the dumbest thing you can do, do you do that shit against Sonya? No... and Mileena punishes it easier than Sonya does.

Wrong information? What have I said that was wrong... Why would I divulge false tech that people here are obviously gonna check. That's retarted. Think about it, if you can uppercut (6/7 frames) her ex tele why couldn't you spin it (6 frames)... Common sense man. Either way i'm not trying to argue with you, i'm here to help out the Lao community with tech that i've tested and use on a daily basis.

Edit: if she baits a spin with a D4 you look like a fool. How about you block low and pressure after the Blocked D4...

derOeler

Death comes to all!
I really likeyour conversation. Obs_SmSwag PerfectMindGame
It is correct that you can spin her exTele after blocking low.
PerfectMindGame was wrong on that one.
BUT: Almost every post from him is great. He knows his shit and contributes very effectively and politely.
You are butthurt for nothin but the fact that he strikes you as arrogant for reasons beyond his reality.
Last sentence in simpler words: He doesnt let his ego write posts, unlike you do sometimes.

I really likeyour conversation. Obs_SmSwag PerfectMindGame
It is correct that you can spin her exTele after blocking low.
PerfectMindGame was wrong on that one.
BUT: Almost every post from him is great. He knows his shit and contributes very effectively and politely.
You are butthurt for nothin but the fact that he strikes you as arrogant for reasons beyond his reality.
Last sentence in simpler words: He doesnt let his ego write posts, unlike you do sometimes.
doesnt really matter we were both wrong, because

I used to punish ex tele with d1, but the real proper punish is standing 2, credit goes to foxy.

derOeler

Death comes to all!
Yeah after Foxy pointed it out in another thread, I started punishing Mileena's ex tele with 2 into ex hat.
So it is Spin for meterless and standing 2 into exhat 1 1 1 1, 2 4 (1+3 etc..) or do you use 2 into exhat JK DK (1) 2 4 (1+3 etc...)?

coolwhip

Noob
So it is Spin for meterless and standing 2 into exhat 1 1 1 1, 2 4 (1+3 etc..) or do you use 2 into exhat JK DK (1) 2 4 (1+3 etc...)?
Spin can't punish Mileena's ex tele on block. At the very least, I've never seen anyone do it. Meterless, I punish it with D1 into 1 1 1 2 4 grab. For one bar, you do 2 into ex hat followed by the combo of your choosing (generally as many jabs as you can into 2 4 grab).

Obs_SmSwag

You can spin it, it's not the optimal punish. I was wrong, an experienced Lao should be doing something like this.

Meterless I do: 2, 2 4 spin, 1 1, 2 4 1+3 26% (I think) no just frame 28% just frame

1 bar: 2 ex hat, Jk Dk, Roll, Spin, 2 4 1+3 for 39% no just frame 42% just frame

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
against low hit box characters i pretty much just go for as many block strings as possible to build that meter. d4 on hit is the perfect way to start off kung lao's offense. Build that meter and know when its time to back off and rush back in again. :p

Flagg

Noob
As this is a Q&A about KL, is it all right to ask about some of his weaknesses? Kl up close pressure machines kill me. Im always unsure what can be ducked, when to let go of block, whats punishable, etc..

Obs_SmSwag

As this is a Q&A about KL, is it all right to ask about some of his weaknesses? Kl up close pressure machines kill me. Im always unsure what can be ducked, when to let go of block, whats punishable, etc..
No

Edit: The Meta game differs drastically depending on the hitbox of your character. If 2 and instant tele 3 are hitting on crouch block, it's gonna be a long day.

what character do you play? Ill go ahead and assume you mean his point blank pressure? no matter your hitbox after 1121/21/24 ends you can always poke out because the strings dont hit mid, a good kung lao player will know this and challenge you with the spin if you keep poking him. you basically have to guess whether he is going to spin or not. the pokes I reccomend are d4 and d3. best option is d4 imo, on hit you will be able to pressure kung lao back unless you have a character with really slow normals. you can also uppercut him but kung lao can duck that and punish for full combo without having to take the risk of challenging you with the spin.

Obs_SmSwag

what character do you play? Ill go ahead and assume you mean his point blank pressure? no matter your hitbox after 1121/21/24 ends you can always poke out because the strings dont hit mid, a good kung lao player will know this and challenge you with the spin if you keep poking him. you basically have to guess whether he is going to spin or not. the pokes I reccomend are d4 and d3. best option is d4 imo, on hit you will be able to pressure kung lao back unless you have a character with really slow normals. you can also uppercut him but kung lao can duck that and punish for full combo without having to take the risk of challenging you with the spin.
This. Also, Kung Lao's D3 is 9 frames (abuse that) and not may Lao's are gonna use his 7 frame D1. You'll probably be able to link a D4 into pressure after a D3 since you're at +3 and your (stereotypical) 12 frame D4 will be as fast as his D3. He probably won't try to poke after you're +3 on your D3 at risk of eating a combo, this is a 50-50. You could even (theoretically) bait a D3 (9 frames) by lao with your D3 (-7) and then punish him for trying to counter poke (very risky, not advised). The key issue you will have vs Lao as Mindgames already stated is being Checked by a spin mid-footsies.

Anything specific you need help with feel free to reference PerfectMindGame or myself, seems we're the most active in this thread now adays.

coolwhip

Noob
The first hit of his two main strings (21 and 1121) can be neutral ducked, so you can poke out as he's throwing it or uppercut out.

This. Also, Kung Lao's D3 is 9 frames (abuse that) and not may Lao's are gonna use his 7 frame D1. You'll probably be able to link a D4 into pressure after a D3 since you're at +3 and your (stereotypical) 12 frame D4 will be as fast as his D3. He probably won't try to poke after you're +3 on your D3 at risk of eating a combo, this is a 50-50. You could even (theoretically) bait a D3 (9 frames) by lao with your D3 (-7) and then punish him for trying to counter poke (very risky, not advised). The key issue you will have vs Lao as Mindgames already stated is being Checked by a spin mid-footsies.

Anything specific you need help with feel free to reference PerfectMindGame or myself, seems we're the most active in this thread now adays.
kung lao's d3 has a very good baiting purpose. it is 9 frames and slower than the usual 7 frame d3. it kind of works like raidens strings on block, raiden is at disadvantage after his 334/b314 on block so people will have to guess whether to pressure or not because raiden can either block after his strings, teleport or chain a special behind it to beat the opponent. you as a kung lao player using a 9 frame d3 after 1121/21 on block is technically at disadvantage and will make the opponent want to poke you after 1121/21 on block because you keep folowing it up with d3. this will increase the chances of the opponent poking you at neutral. knowing this the chances of you getting a succesful spin at neutral will be increased.

schnitzel_on_fire

Maining the Roster
A: 112 xx spin, j.dk, dash, 1, dash 24, 1+3, 2. No meter wasted and does 33% damage. Also the start up string is safe on block and easy to hit confirm.

112 xx spin, j.kick, dk, f+3 xx spin.

112 xx spin, j.kick, dk, dash, 1 xx :en hat throw, dash, 1, dash 1, dash 24, 1+3, 2.

Punish all jump ins with Spin :)d:r:fp).

Use his Ground Hat move :)d:l:bp) to zone players at a distance and bait jump ins or to punish reckless whiffed normals from a distance.

Punish projectiles with either his Teleport or Dive Kick (DK only works on certain projectile characters such as Smoke and Reptile).
i recommend using 21xxspin as combo opener whenever you punish, it's faster and adds ~2% damage to the combo. not really hitconfirmable, so still stick to 112 when you aren't certain if they can block in time.

i like to use 2xx :en hat throw over the method described above b/c of its longer reach and faster speed. might change the damage, too; i'm not sure off-hand.

cheers!

schnitzel_on_fire

Maining the Roster
Can anyone explain exactly how to land the dash FP after a dive kick in his BnB combo?

112 xx spin, j.dk, dash, 1
i haven't played in a while, but i believe i used to input a quick dash and cancel that into a jk-dk, thus hitting the opponent lower on their hitbox which makes you land faster. therefore, you get a little more time to follow up w/ dash 1. really just have to trial and error til you get the feel for it, kinda like his plum flower (24 1+3 2). hope this helps.

schnitzel_on_fire

Maining the Roster
Ok, I'm hoping someone can answer this. I am trying to do the "plum flower" combo after the x-ray, it's the infamous 24, 1+3, 2 combo. Ok, so when exactly do you start the combo? As the x-ray is finishing, I think you have to be dashing forward and then you start the combo by hitting 2. I have actually gotten it a few times, but I can tell when to hit the button. Do you hit 2 right after the x-ray animation stops? Or do you hit 2 after they have already bounced? Not sure, hopefully some Kung Lao experts can answer this.

Thanks.
like already suggested, just mash dash rear the end of the x-ray animation. once you see the screen going back to "normal" play, start your attacks. if you start the combo with the x-ray, you can squeeze in a couple of 1s/front punshes before you do the 24. might actually make it easier b/c you might hit the 2 in 24 too early/high, making the 4 whiff (if this is what is giving you ploblems?). not sure about the whiffing though, i'm doing this from memory :). at any rate, damage goes up a bit and you carry them farther to the corner.
if you juggle into the x-ray, however, gravity will be too high to fit in those FPs.

schnitzel_on_fire

Maining the Roster
corner combos i use:

meterless: 21 / 112 xx spin jk xx dk jk xx teleport 3 1121 24 1+3 2 ~40%
1 bar: 21 / 112 xx spin jk xx dk jk xx teleport 3 3 xx :en hat throw jk xx teleport 3 24 1+3 2 ~50%

- both can add a couple of % if opened w/ a teleport 3.
- i recommend doing the jk xx teleport 3 using a back jump. just works better for me personally.

Flagg

Noob
Thanks for some of those things guys, i'll try and impliment that more. To be honest I need to work more on my counter down poke game.

I play quite a few characters, mostly CSZ and Kano (yeah I dont make things easy for myself, lol) but im also trying to develop Rain and Freddy. I have a semi decent Baraka and I know how to use Liu Kang and Ermac but I play a very average LK and Maccas.