What's new

Punished for Winning. 15-year old girl Quits Smash after beating pro due to harrasment

Error404

Noob
It's quite interesting how males think females are incompatible to play video games well.
Damn, she beat him with a low tier character and shes a girl HAHAHA ..... more proof that you can't win them all.
All she has to do is learn to ignore those fanboys and play the game she enjoys.
Woah woah woah ... Males? In the Smash community? Those things are sexless basement trolls!

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
It's quite interesting how males think females are incompatible to play video games well.
Damn, she beat him with a low tier character and shes a girl HAHAHA ..... more proof that you can't win them all.
All she has to do is learn to ignore those fanboys and play the game she enjoys.
As a guy myself, I honestly never understood this mindset.

Who cares if a woman wants to game? There's nothing stopping them from being as skilled as a male gamer. If anyone's willing to put in the time and effort, they can get to that level. That mindset is from the dark ages of gaming and needs to stay there.

That's a reason why I wanna see more women in competitions, to help show that women can play games just as well as men can and break that stereotype and show that they're equal in skill, even though there'd be a backlash from guys like that.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Smash is not a fighting game, so it's not part of the FGC. People who play that shit are mostly man-children who still live in their mom's basement. I don't give a shit what their numbers are at EVO as far as entrants go, I'd never consider their community part of the FGC.

The only thing Smash players do is ruin EVO Sunday by booing any game other than their stupid game and make the place like like BO.

yeah I know what you mean, its weird because for us in the EU as this kind of relationship is normal, but in the US its seen as pedo.
I'm from EU, and that shit ain't normal. Legal is not the same as normal, a grown up, 27 years old adult dating basically a boy is weird as fuck.
And as far as I know, the consent age being 16 doesn't mean it is legal to bang an underage person. It just means it is the minimal age where consent is taken into account by the court (before 16 it doesn't make a difference if they consent or not, if things go into tribunal is gonna be considered non-consensual), but I still think it's ilegal dating an underage unless you are one yourself, of course.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I just dont think there is a right or wrong way to approach any situation as a minority in an area. I'm not a girl so I dont really know what the answer is. All I know is I already cant stand the FGCs perpetual 14yr old boy mindset and couldn't imagine getting that colossal deluge of shittalk because I beat someone.

If enough women start to compete it would it be a news story anymore. To be honest I cannot even name 10 female fighting game players from memory. Community will probably be more welcoming and less reactionary when women competing doesn't elicit a sea of PogChamps from chat.

Ffs auto-delete all smash threads in the future. Nothing good comes from that camp.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
I unironically eat haribo gold bears, lean pockets, and Arizona.
Wait you eat gummy bears and arizona tea while gaming?... Are there any health risks associated with that?
Damn this thread is going to make me go on a quick snack run to the dollar store.
I'm going to stop on my way home for some pretzels and I also like to pick up a bag of pumpernickel rounds too. Just a whole bag of the ones that come in chex-mix.

I'm a gril, so wut?

But seriously, this issue has never been black or white. Yeah, being a girl in a male-dominated hobby sucks sometimes, but at some point, you have to get with the teasing and dish it back. That's how I do it, bruh. And let's be honest, hanging out with dudes is really fun. I know that it's different online, it's 100x worse, and especially once you get a bit of traction and the spotlight on you, then you get all kinds of shitty comments.

15 is young to go through this, I hope she has friends that support her. But she also has to learn to either not read all comments or just brush them off. Cause who cares what some sweaty, Cheetos-eating drungo says about you? Do your thing and ignore that shit. Body his ass into the 5th salt dimension. Make him break his controller, hell make him break his console, it's all for the better anyways.

If you wanna run with the guys, you have to learn to not pull punches even if it's in our nature to be more passive. If you don't adapt, you'll get bodied, same as in FGs.

TL;DR: don't get RL bodied by Cheetos-eating drongos
I get what you are coming from, and you can't control internet trolls, for sure.
But sometimes being silent shows contempt with the situation.
If i was this dude Ally, I would have publicly called out all those frigging trolls for the scumbags they are and showed my support to the girl, and congratulate her. Now I don't know if the dude did something or not, what I mean is, if a legion of your rabid fanboys cyberbully a Little girl that beated you and you stay silent, you are siding with the bullies.
An individual must learn to deal with bullies on their own, but we, as a community, need to fight toxic tendencies.
This is obviously way worse for females than it is to the rest of us. Just take a quick look at the twitch chat when a female enters the room. It's fucking pathetic. I thank god for youtube stream, as i can avoid looking at comentaries there and can enjoy my games.
And you say you deal with that, but I don't recall seeing you in any tournament. Have you participated in any?

And btw, don't blame on nature who you are. While it is true there are obvious biological differences between males and females, most of the attitudes are learnt, not bornt. We are social creatures after all.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I get what you are coming from, and you can't control internet trolls, for sure.
But sometimes being silent shows contempt with the situation.
If i was this dude Ally, I would have publicly called out all those frigging trolls for the scumbags they are and showed my support to the girl, and congratulate her. Now I don't know if the dude did something or not, what I mean is, if a legion of your rabid fanboys cyberbully a Little girl that beated you and you stay silent, you are siding with the bullies.
An individual must learn to deal with bullies on their own, but we, as a community, need to fight toxic tendencies.
This is obviously way worse for females than it is to the rest of us. Just take a quick look at the twitch chat when a female enters the room. It's fucking pathetic. I thank god for youtube stream, as i can avoid looking at comentaries there and can enjoy my games.
And you say you deal with that, but I don't recall seeing you in any tournament. Have you participated in any?

And btw, don't blame on nature who you are. While it is true there are obvious biological differences between males and females, most of the attitudes are learnt, not bornt. We are social creatures after all.
I didn’t say to stay silent, quite the opposite actually call them out if they’re in your face, but internet comments should be ignored for the most part. Sometimes they should still get called out tho. I’m all about dishing it out.

I entered online tourneys and I’m going to Dreamhack MTL this fall. But I have a YT channel and I know what trolls are like. They take a jab at your looks cause they can’t compete with you, it’s a tale as old as time itself.

Smash is not a fighting game, so it's not part of the FGC. People who play that shit are mostly man-children who still live in their mom's basement. I don't give a shit what their numbers are at EVO as far as entrants go, I'd never consider their community part of the FGC.

The only thing Smash players do is ruin EVO Sunday by booing any game other than their stupid game and make the place like like BO.
smash is a fighting game and part of the fgc. did you ever try to dig deeper into the game? you will quickly realise that a lot of fighting game fundamentals carry over. also that smelly smash player thing is mostly just a meme. your average local smash player is usually a cool dude.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Interesting thread, lots of stuff already mentioned, but I'll throw in my few cents as I often lurk around the smash community since I really like the recent installment.

The issue with the Ally being a pedo situation comes from his dating a 16 yr old yes, but IIRC there was mention that he was grooming this kid before he was 16 and is over 10 years his senior, pretty creepy stuff.

The community itself is interesting, I've been to some locals, and while the memes are exaggerated, they've got to be the saltiest players I've ever met. It's like getting hatemail in person and instead confrontation, your opponent just mumbles it to you.

Woah I understand you don't like their community (neither do I) but to say it's not a fighting game and to say that all who play it are man-children who lives in their mother's basement, is SUPER trivial and a huge blanket statement. Speak for those who are attacking the girl NOT the whole community.

Sorry mate but this take is bullshit.

It’s the ‘no true Scotsman’ fallacy. ‘No true member of the FGC would act like this’. Well let me tell you, a lot do. I even know many irl who consider themselves a member of the FGC who are toxic as fuck.

Nobody is saying that it’s the entire FGC or that all of the FGC should be held responsible. But you coming in here and acting like the FGC is perfect and has no toxic pieces of shit in it is hilarious and the complete other end of the spectrum.
Yeah but Smash is not a fighting game.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
I'm from EU, and that shit ain't normal. Legal is not the same as normal, a grown up, 27 years old adult dating basically a boy is weird as fuck.
And as far as I know, the consent age being 16 doesn't mean it is legal to bang an underage person. It just means it is the minimal age where consent is taken into account by the court (before 16 it doesn't make a difference if they consent or not, if things go into tribunal is gonna be considered non-consensual), but I still think it's ilegal dating an underage unless you are one yourself, of course.
Hell even if something is technically legal doesn't mean its immune to being frowned upon. Look at the contreversy of Drake dating an 18 year old model. In the gay community its pretty frowned upon when people see 18 year old twinks hooking up with 50 year old men. Just because it may be legal doesn't make it morally right.