What's new

Punished for Winning. 15-year old girl Quits Smash after beating pro due to harrasment

Personally, over the last several years, I find much of online culture in general has become extremely toxic and ignorant. I find most of online to be quite disgusting, and while I can't change that, I've limited my online use as a result.

I have a Facebook account I rarely use, and no other social media. Never had or want Twitter, Instagram, etc.

For online forums, there's only four that I go to now, this being one of them. Overall, I find Testyourmight to be a pretty good online community, thus the reason I still come here.

For the places I do partake in, I try to help people and treat people with courtesy simply because it's the right thing to do. For friends who started bringing online toxicity into real life, I've stongly encouraged them to ditch social media and stop wasting time on online drama and hate that doesn't matter. Some have listened and improved themselves dramatically for it.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
I don't accept Smash as a fighting game, or it's player base as members of the FGC. Their game and community is very diferent from traditional fighting games.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Disgusting.

Misogyny is a real problem in the "gamer" community and the FGC is not excluded. You shouldn't "have to grow a thicker skin" to play (and win) a fucking game as a girl.

I get where people are coming from with takes like "you just have to learn to take it and dish it back" and "that's just the way it is" but no, it doesn't have to be. We shouldn't put the expectation on the person being victimized to somehow rise above it. We should actively throw shitbags out of the scene and out of the larger gaming community and give full support to people who are targeted for their gender, identity, race, whatever else.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I get where people are coming from with takes like "you just have to learn to take it and dish it back" and "that's just the way it is" but no, it doesn't have to be. We shouldn't put the expectation on the person being victimized to somehow rise above it. We should actively throw shitbags out of the scene and out of the larger gaming community and give full support to people who are targeted for their gender, identity, race, whatever else.
Well said.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
I don't know where you got that I was putting the fgc up on a pedestal. Bullying a kid isn't encouraged or tolerated, this is a problem with the individuals. Not the community.

"Fgc can do better" is what my post was aimed at. Like how? What were people supposed to do about clowns posting on twitter?
It’s not just Twitter, it’s people going up to her irl.

These individuals are a member of the community. Key influential figures within the community need to outright shun this behaviour, put it on absolute blast. I don’t see enough people shit on toxicity and misogyny.

But the real story....this Ally character....apparently he's a pedo and just retired as well because he got outed by having a secret relationship....with a 16 year old....boy.... :eek:
dating a 16 year old is not pedo and perfectly legal. zach is 17 btw.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Disgusting.

Misogyny is a real problem in the "gamer" community and the FGC is not excluded. You shouldn't "have to grow a thicker skin" to play (and win) a fucking game as a girl.

I agree, it shouldn't happen and in a perfect world, it wouldn't. When I say 'dish it back and learn to deal with it' it's just because it's needed, unfortunately. If you don't do that, it invites people to bully you even more. I don't see anything wrong with fighting back, and yes people need to adapt to friendly teasing and whatnot, but bullying from strangers should honestly just be ignored.

It's kinda crazy to me that in 2019 some guys still don't know how to act normally around women, we're not a different species, for God's sake. I'm just happy that all the dudes I play with on here are freaking awesome. <3

ItsYaBoi

Noob
I agree, it shouldn't happen and in a perfect world, it wouldn't. When I say 'dish it back and learn to deal with it' it's just because it's needed, unfortunately. If you don't do that, it invites people to bully you even more. I don't see anything wrong with fighting back, and yes people need to adapt to friendly teasing and whatnot, but bullying from strangers should honestly just be ignored.

It's kinda crazy to me that in 2019 some guys still don't know how to act normally around women, we're not a different species, for God's sake. I'm just happy that all the dudes I play with on here are freaking awesome. <3
This community seems better than most fighting games with how they treat real women.

Their virtual women on the other hand? Never seen a more triggered fan base. Muh virtual bobs and vagene.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
I don't know that this kind of thing is our battle to fight, or rather that we should fight it by putting people on blast and kicking people out of the community. I'm more of a lead by example guy. I show up, play the game, and shake hands. We all do that and the community will look just fine.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
This is unfortunately nothing new. Think this might be the first time a 15 y/o caught it but misogyny in gamer culture as a whole is a very harsh reality. My favorite was a competitive SF commentator who's name I don't remember openly dropping sexist remarks on mic and getting checked by his co-commentator.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I don't know that this kind of thing is our battle to fight, or rather that we should fight it by putting people on blast and kicking people out of the community. I'm more of a lead by example guy. I show up, play the game, and shake hands. We all do that and the community will look just fine.
I think leading by example is fine, but I think the problem with this is that sometimes silence can imply consent. If someone in the FGC is being toxic, misogynistic, or whatever, they're not going to stop unless they're forced to.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
That seems to imply that it's the victim's fault if they get bullied.
I'm victim blaming because I'm telling people to stand up for themselves? Fuck off, I'm going to go ahead and assume you're not a girl and as such, can't comment what it's like to be bullied by men. Take the shit if you want, be a pussy if you want, but I never got anywhere in life acting like a dead fish around piranhas.

The problem with your mentality is you want people to act the way you want them to, but you can't control people and never will. You can only control YOUR own actions. So do the right thing, and people will follow.

Change takes time, and you're not gonna get it by crying victim blaming. Teach girls to fight back and not take shit from anyone, PERIOD.

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
It's quite interesting how males think females are incompatible to play video games well.
Damn, she beat him with a low tier character and shes a girl HAHAHA ..... more proof that you can't win them all.
All she has to do is learn to ignore those fanboys and play the game she enjoys.