What's new

Punished for Winning. 15-year old girl Quits Smash after beating pro due to harrasment

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
A 15-year old girl named "Bochi" beat a pro player (Ally) as the character Isabel, who is low-tier, basically the Dvorah of Smash Bros Ultimate. She has been relentlessly harrassed online and even in person apparently because salty nerds had their "Girls, let a lone a 15-year old, can't beat guys at videogames" belief shattered. She stated on twitter that she wants to quit Smash & at first she was excited, but now wishes she never won. Smash is considered the most toxic community of all games, you think MK fans are dicks? Nintendo has some dark parts within their fandom. MK players being dicks is as far as it gets but Smash fans are full of weirdos, "Ally" who retires from pro smash admits to dating a 15 year old boy.

Strong people don't put others down, they help them up. Its things like this that make me ashamed to be apart of the FGC, instead of scarying away new players, they should be encouraged as it would breathe new life in the competitive scene (especially encourage more girls to compete) and now I think we just lost that. I worry for players like Siren/Infiniti & Romanova if its 2019 & people still have this B&W "guys play better" mentality, let alone bully a 15 year old. The FGC can do better.

Sazbak

Noob
I heard she's going to continue competing after noticing that she got more support than bashing.
Well for us, it's nothing new that the internet sucks but for a 15 years old it can feel overwhelming that so many people want to see you fail.
It can be hard to notice that there are indeed nice people out there.
I hope she can forge a strong resolve from the positivity around her and can ignore the dickheads.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
"FGC" has nothing to do with this. Majority of the people who act like this aren't fgc, they're just non contributing dickheads on twitter. The community at large isn't responsible for harrassment, the community shouldn't be used as a scapegoat for shitty individuals
Sorry mate but this take is bullshit.

It’s the ‘no true Scotsman’ fallacy. ‘No true member of the FGC would act like this’. Well let me tell you, a lot do. I even know many irl who consider themselves a member of the FGC who are toxic as fuck.

Nobody is saying that it’s the entire FGC or that all of the FGC should be held responsible. But you coming in here and acting like the FGC is perfect and has no toxic pieces of shit in it is hilarious and the complete other end of the spectrum.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Sorry mate but this take is bullshit.

It’s the ‘no true Scotsman’ fallacy. ‘No true member of the FGC would act like this’. Well let me tell you, a lot do. I even know many irl who consider themselves a member of the FGC who are toxic as fuck.

Nobody is saying that it’s the entire FGC or that all of the FGC should be held responsible. But you coming in here and acting like the FGC is perfect and has no toxic pieces of shit in it is hilarious and the complete other end of the spectrum.
I don't know where you got that I was putting the fgc up on a pedestal. Bullying a kid isn't encouraged or tolerated, this is a problem with the individuals. Not the community.

"Fgc can do better" is what my post was aimed at. Like how? What were people supposed to do about clowns posting on twitter?

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I don't know where you got that I was putting the fgc up on a pedestal. Bullying a kid isn't encouraged or tolerated, this is a problem with the individuals. Not the community.
When someone explains why your argument is fallacious, but instead of adjusting your approach, you double down: The Post.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Have you seen this community whenever theres a girl on stream?

whoa, a girl [POGGERS]

POGCHAMP DUDES A REAL GIRL IS PLAYING MY FAVORITE VIDEOGAME!!!

whoa she's totally hot/not hot

ppl 'root' for her as if she's up against insurmountable odds

BIBLETHUMP or TB spam if she loses

make fun of dude if she wins

Add extra cringe if they're trans. Seen it too many times to count.

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
  1. She wasn't playing with her genitals so being a girl has nothing to do with anything.
  2. 15 is perfectly fine for an age to be good at games, I was a very high-level player at that age in various games.
  3. She needs encouragement to keep playing, someone needs to tell her that success comes with haters and just teach her to ignore the fuck out of people.
It's the right age to be good at something and the right age to learn that the world is a cruel place.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm a gril, so wut?

But seriously, this issue has never been black or white. Yeah, being a girl in a male-dominated hobby sucks sometimes, but at some point, you have to get with the teasing and dish it back. That's how I do it, bruh. And let's be honest, hanging out with dudes is really fun. I know that it's different online, it's 100x worse, and especially once you get a bit of traction and the spotlight on you, then you get all kinds of shitty comments.

15 is young to go through this, I hope she has friends that support her. But she also has to learn to either not read all comments or just brush them off. Cause who cares what some sweaty, Cheetos-eating drungo says about you? Do your thing and ignore that shit. Body his ass into the 5th salt dimension. Make him break his controller, hell make him break his console, it's all for the better anyways.

If you wanna run with the guys, you have to learn to not pull punches even if it's in our nature to be more passive. If you don't adapt, you'll get bodied, same as in FGs.

TL;DR: don't get RL bodied by Cheetos-eating drongos

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
The Smash Community never fails to make themselves look bad every chance they get.

I've seen this story and it sucks for that girl to get harassed by fucking losers. Take your money and run girl.

But the real story....this Ally character....apparently he's a pedo and just retired as well because he got outed by having a secret relationship....with a 16 year old....boy.... :eek: