What's new

PowerUp 2011 - Cincinnati, OH - April 29 - May 1 (very first MK9 tourney; UMK3 too!)

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
We've got MK9 & UMK3 both on Saturday now, so if you wanted to finish up singles in those games and then use the same setups for the exhibitions, I think that would be great. All the excitement generated by the MK setups may also get you some interest from other players at the event.

I need to discuss exhibitions with Sp00ky and see what, if any, stream time they can get. At PU2011 there will now be UMK3 5v5, MK9 5v5, T6 5v5, and SSFIV 5v5. If you'd like to try and run the MK 5v5s in the venue then I'll make sure to include them when I talk to Sp00ky again. This stuff sounds really good!

Tim Static

Adminerator
Nathan can we do MK9 & UMK3 casuals all day Friday and Sunday too? Is size and set ups an issue? The stuff i am bringing i want to do this with, just need your ok. :)

Yeah, we can work around whatever you need as far as space and using the venue goes.

For now, I'll plan on Saturday night after the singles are wrapping up, using the setups we used for MK9 singles to run the 5v5.

OK, here are some early rules, give me feedback if you don't like it:

- All teams will play round robin in MK9 and will be awarded one point for each match won.
- Matches will be 2/3, no char lock after win
- No Kratos in MK9
- In the event of a tie at the the end of the round robin, the captains of the tied teams will play 3/5 to determine the winner, with one point in the overtime awarded for each set won.

Tentative teams so far (some players included because I assume they'll be interested, and I think they'd be the best choices):

You guys can change your captain at the tourney, I'm just guessing based on who is the most well rounded between both games.

Team Ohio:

THTB (captain)
Derrick Legend
Prof. Rouse
Dr. Rouse
(open spot, Tim and I or others can battle for it)

Team New York:

Reo (Captain)
Dan
Riu
AC
(open)

Team Wild Card:

Tom Brady (captain)
Krayzie Bone
(open)
(open)
(open)

I am going to ask about Team Michigan, if VDO is coming, he may want to play. I'll also ask a few other areas about their interest.

PSN

Noob
Won't be able to attend, but I'd love to enjoy some streams if it's possible. I imagine there will be a stream for MK9 as well as UMK3, but are there any set plans for this?

Hopefully you guys have so many entrants for MK9 that there's no time to run the exhibition matches (at least on Sat).
Yeah, that would sort of be ideal, although we can still run the 5v5 in hotel rooms and after hours if needed.

I still think you're seriously overestimating team Wildcard's ability to win in UMK3 against Reo and AC.

But I would agree Wildcard is the favorite going in from an MK9 perspective. As far as I know Bone doesn't even play UMK3 much.

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
@Tim: Friday casuals in the venue will probably not happen. Too many games on Friday, however if some of the smaller games get canceled or end relatively quickly, I don't see why you couldn't run MK casuals. Sunday is a much better prospect because more setups will be free, the focus being on finals for SSFIV/MvC3/Mystery.

@PSN: Sp00ky would like to stream both MK9 and UMK3, but I don't know at what times or for how long.

@LuckyDay: Oh! Okay, I get it now; both games at once, very cool.

Just let us know what he wants to stream. My thought would be leaving top 8 of MK9 and top 4 of UMK3 for Sunday.

Usually I would like to see more UMK3, but we are definitely focusing on showcasing MK9 at this one, so I think final 4 will be enough for that.

DrDogg

Noob
From a stream monster perspective, how many people will want to watch UMK3? I could see maybe final 4 on Sunday, but given how people bail on the stream anytime there isn't SF or Mahvel on, do you think they'll stick around for UMK3 5v5 or anything other than finals? I'm sure lots of people will want to see MK9, so I'd hate to scare them away with UMK3.

To be clear, I don't mind watching it (although I'll probably make a sammich while UMK3 is on), but I'm worried the stream monsters will bail.

Thoughts?

From a stream monster perspective, how many people will want to watch UMK3? I could see maybe final 4 on Sunday, but given how people bail on the stream anytime there isn't SF or Mahvel on, do you think they'll stick around for UMK3 5v5 or anything other than finals? I'm sure lots of people will want to see MK9, so I'd hate to scare them away with UMK3.

To be clear, I don't mind watching it (although I'll probably make a sammich while UMK3 is on), but I'm worried the stream monsters will bail.

Thoughts?
Oh I was talking singles, not the 5v5. I would tend to agree with most of that, interest is definitely lower overall for UMK3 (just like most non Super/mvc3 games right now) which is why I think top 4 for UMK3 finals is enough.

The 5v5 won't be streamed at all.

There are certain tourneys where numbers have been pretty good and lots of interest is there for UMK3 like NEC and SB last year, but with a new MK and Marvel those are what we should feature.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

Thoughts?
You kidding? People love watching UMK3 on stream.

You kidding? People love watching UMK3 on stream.
Depends on what tourney. At SB our numbers for UMK3 early in the day were really good, but we had a lot of people from out of the country and all of the MK sites watching.

But like I said, for every game other than Super interest drops dramatically.

Nick, you can just put me and Webster on Team Wild Card with HOPEFULLY Mr You-Know-Who-Wink-Wink.
Ha, you wish.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I would be up for that. Sounds like it'd be really fun.

Also, to backtrack to the me getting there situation...I've looked up prices for Greyhound for round trip to Columbus. At this moment it's $56 were I to leave for Columbus on the 28th and head back to Youngstown on the 2nd...which isn't bad at all.
hey since reo is flying up to Ohio and mk9 will be played mostly on saturday, im now free to pick you up if you want me too.. save your money if you dont have any to spend, or toss me some for gas.. however if you want to greyhound it thats kool.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
That'd work, Dan. :) I just need to pre-reg now.

Crap...I didn't realize I only had enough to register to get in...ugh this is becoming a serious mess.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I'll Pre-Reg on Friday for sure.

I wanted to buy my flight today, but I let my family borrow $200...

Now I cant purchase my ticket until Friday. Its $319 right now, and I have a $200 Frontier Airlines Certificate. How fast do prices go up?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Do any of you besides Bone have a good phone w/ a Twitter app? If so, let me know asap.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Do any of you besides Bone have a good phone w/ a Twitter app? If so, let me know asap.
if i decide to turn back on my phone i will.. right now i have the iphone with twitter so i have the good phone.. problem is service.. if the arcade has wifi then i can say 100% yes i do..

REO

Undead
I can't believe I was gonna take a 20+ hour $180 greyhound trip. I just bought my $220 plane ticket and pre-registered for PU, so I'm 100% confirmed :).

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I can't believe I was gonna take a 20+ hour $180 greyhound trip. I just bought my $220 plane ticket and pre-registered for PU, so I'm 100% confirmed :).
Good shit. What time will you arrive at CMH, and what time do you leave?

I'm gonna book my flight and register by Friday.