What's new

Match-up Discussion Official Deathstroke Match-Up Chart

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
I'm curious fellow DS players, have a question. I have this local scrub in my area who plays DS and insists BA "isn't that good" and read that he's not a problem somewhere on the DS boards. Please enlighten me
BA is a douche that likes to Divekick into my face and hit me for 47%. That's all I have to say on the matter!

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
I'm curious fellow DS players, have a question. I have this local scrub in my area who plays DS and insists BA "isn't that good" and read that he's not a problem somewhere on the DS boards. Please enlighten me
I think even post-nerf DS handles BA pretty well. Air Quick Fire keeps him in check while keeping you safe from Black Magic and most lighting blasts. His Lighting Cage is easily baitable on wakeup and full-combo punished. Once respects you, you can pressure him on wakeup pretty easily. Boot Stomp loses to Air Quick Fire and back-jump 3 into full combo.

You basically just have to stay full-screen jumping backwards and using Air Quickfire just before you hit the ground and there's almost nothing he can do against it.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
karaokelove All I have to do is dash block my way in. I have no need to do anything else. BA is one of the best pressure chars in the game, what's your plan to get me off you?

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
karaokelove All I have to do is dash block my way in. I have no need to do anything else. BA is one of the best pressure chars in the game, what's your plan to get me off you?
Deathstroke has an amazing up-close game that BA can't really do much against. His back-dash can save him on occasion, and he does more damage than DS when he hits, but DS has frame-trap loops that can go on almost indefinitely once you close the gap. I'd call it a 5/5 just because BA is such a powerhouse, but once DS lands a f23, f3, or j3, even if blocked, prepare to hold block and deal with a ton of pressure and 50/50s that lead into 30%~ and continued pressure.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Well the guy I play doesn't know how to do any of that shit so I'm not worried. Just curious what the good DS players thought. I still think it's 6-4 BA but np. Thanks for the input

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
Well the guy I play doesn't know how to do any of that shit so I'm not worried. Just curious what the good DS players thought. I still think it's 6-4 BA but np. Thanks for the input
I don't think a lot of DS players have really started messing with his pressure strings yet. I didn't even start exploring his pressure loops until about 2 days ago, and ended up taking a small Gamestop-sponsored tournament using his rushdown. Here are some of the things I've been experimenting with:

I'm currently working out the following block strings, which I'll get added to the guide once I can test them fully. Some of then are spacing-dependent. All were performed on Catwoman, and I'll test then on a big character when I have time.

Also realize that these are block strings, not frame traps (though some are close to frame traps). These are simply attacks that go well together due to their spacing, pushback, frames, and hit level.

Feel free to experiment with them and post your findings:

After f3: j1 will cross up and can link into b1u2. Doesn't work at tip of f3 range. If your opponent jumps in any direction, the j1 will catch them and can be linked into 323-f23-sword flip.

After f3: B1u2 is free pressure if you get the timing down.

After f3: an early j3 will not cross up and can link into f23 sword flip. A late j3 will cross up and can link into 323-f23-sword flip.

After f3: you have time to step forward and f23 against anything 6 frames or slower. This seems to be fairly inconsistent against some characters and attacks, however.

After f3: throw (hold forward to make sure the throw connects).

After b1u2: j2-b1u2.

After b1u2: j2-b222

After b1u2: j3

After f23: a late j3 will usually cross up your opponent while an early j3 will not, making this very difficult to block. J3 may be confirmed into f23 sword flip on hit or followed with block strings on block.

After f23: J2 will almost always cross up except from a max-range f2 and will link into b1u2. Any string that hits overhead-low while crossing up is almost impossible to block. J2 can also link into f23, setting up a block-string loop.

After j3: any blocked j3 can be followed up with another j3. As always, the followup j3 may be done early or late to determine cross-up potential.

After j3: throw (actual frame trap. Throw must be teched)

After cross-up j3: hold forward and wait a split second before doing f23. If you f23 too early it will whiff.

Now the great thing about these block strings is that they all go into each other. If a block string ends with b1u2, then it may be followed by any block string that begins with b1u2. For instance, I could throw out f3-b1u2-j2-b1u2-j2-b222. This also means that some of them can repeat indefinitely, such as j3 cross-up into j3-cross-up. You can even vary the timing on each j3 to mix it up even further.

Building on the previous post, certain combinations of block strings leave you at specific distances, allowing for more shenanigans, such as...

F23-j2(crossup)-b1u2-j3-throw

F23-j2(CU)-b1u2-j3-j3(CU)-f23...(repeats indefinitely)

J3(CU)-f23-j2(CU)-b1u2-j3-throw (or j3CU to repeat the loop).

F3-j3(CU)-f23-j2(CU)-b1u2-j3-j3(CU)-f23...
In fact, Heaton even made a flowchart based on those posts:

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
He does nothing but use the guns, then when I get close he panic sword flips. For sure nothing like you described above lol

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I think just getting the early life lead is an important thing for Adam/DS. Both players should be fishing for that, capitalizing on it as much as possible and playing lame as fuck.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Black Adam is arguably the best character in the game, but Deathstroke performs better than most in this particular match up. Deathstroke is one of the few characters who can reliably anti air dive kicks on the ground, control the air with high shots and aerial high shots, and force Black Adam to approach because of low shots. Still 6:4 in Black Adam's favor thanks to the large damage output discrepancy.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Black Adam is arguably the best character in the game, but Deathstroke performs better than most in this particular match up. Deathstroke is one of the few characters who can reliably anti air dive kicks on the ground, control the air with high shots and aerial high shots, and force Black Adam to approach because of low shots. Still 6:4 in Black Adam's favor thanks to the large damage output discrepancy.

try countering divekicks with jump back 3. black adam doesnt have much of an answer to DS jumping backwards at full screen. if he does black magic, land and do high shots, if he does lightning, same thing, if he divekicks, jb3 will hit him and you can get a full combo and then reset positioning. if jumps forward just keep creating distance, if he dashes forward do the same thing. of course you cant do this all game, you have to worry about the corner and stuff but it seems like if you can get him in this situation his options are extremely limited.

flowchart

needs moar b22. that overhead is godlike

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
My thoughts exactly.

If you evened their output, you'd even the matchup.

I beat any solid BA so far on PSN.
Don't really care, but srsly wth why is Frosts slide still so safe on block?
What is DS gonna do vs a slide on block? Throw? SS meter burn? Jump back?
The character I am losing to at most just because of that 1 move.

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
needs moar b22. that overhead is godlike
B22 can be used after any pressure that leads into b1u2, though b222 will whiff after a lot of blocked strings, allowing Deathstroke to be full-combo punished. But basically any j3, j2, j1, f23, and f3 can be followed up with b22.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
B22 can be used after any pressure that leads into b1u2, though b222 will whiff after a lot of blocked strings, allowing Deathstroke to be full-combo punished. But basically any j3, j2, j1, f23, and f3 can be followed up with b22.
i usually just do b22 xx kung lao spin. that wont whiff and you have the option of meterburning for an overhead that can push them back full screen, and is still safe. im all for that.

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
Does Superman still beat DS? Does DS have an answer to f23? What about Scorpion?
Once you learn how to deal with his TP, I don't think Scorpion give DS any more problems than he does the rest of the cast. Don't get me wrong, he's a bitch to fight no matter who you're using, but DS's awesome close-up game allows him to compete pretty well.

As far as Superman goes, I get mad just thinking about it. The only reliable way DS has to escape his pressure options, especially in the corner, is push-blocking. However, this puts SM right in DS's blind spot where DS can't really threaten him, especially post nerf. However, Superman is put right at the tip of his f23 and airdash-3 range, which allows him to continue pressure without fear of repercussions. This MU isn't necessarily bad because Superman is an overpowered horribly-designed character, but because the spacing and frames of his and DS's attacks just add up in SM's favor.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
As far as Superman goes, I get mad just thinking about it. The only reliable way DS has to escape his pressure options, especially in the corner, is push-blocking. However, this puts SM right in DS's blind spot where DS can't really threaten him, especially post nerf. However, Superman is put right at the tip of his f23 and airdash-3 range, which allows him to continue pressure without fear of repercussions. This MU isn't necessarily bad because Superman is an overpowered horribly-designed character, but because the spacing and frames of his and DS's attacks just add up in SM's favor.

So, what you're saying is that this matchup is a 3-7 then? I think 4-6 doesn't do this matchup justice. It's an INJUSTICE. Ahhh, AHHHHHHH!!!? ;)

Are you talking about ice breath frame trap? They increased the pushback on icebreath so you can d1 even when cornened and interupt the f23.

Not a lot of people are aware of that. I did it to a supes player and he was so flabergasted that he didn't know any other offense and allowed me to activate trait without a punish lol. This was pretty far into losers bracket too so he knew the character and could execute those 50 to 70 percent combos.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Are you talking about ice breath frame trap? They increased the pushback on icebreath so you can d1 even when cornened and interupt the f23.

Not a lot of people are aware of that. I did it to a supes player and he was so flabergasted that he didn't know any other offense and allowed me to activate trait without a punish lol. This was pretty far into losers bracket too so he knew the character and could execute those 50 to 70 percent combos.
Ice breath has not been changed since release.

...although I have no idea what you mean by "increase the pushback"

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.

Is that true? Well that's awesome, but a lot of DS players seem to ignore that DS can get a 37% meterless punish against any Superman that attempts this. Seriously guys, it's good stuff.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Superman is a 5/5. I stand by this. He can get more out of opening DS up, but he's not going to succeed if you know the tricks to stop his breath loop and are on point with taking his lasers away. DS's oki works well on him, and Superman can't do anything against DS wakeups, like much of the cast. Yes, it sucks if you get cornered, but there's still the ability to sweep through the loop and pushblock, as well as use a corner interactable on some stages.