What's new

New Era Podcast

rifraf

Noob
Don’t criticize the game and you’ll be okay. Free speech is a thing of the past :DOGE
It's like you're not shitting on the game enough calling it a "scam". What more freedom do you want exactly? You literally called me retarded and a clown. You keep throwing your little tantrums like that is not healthy. Just saying.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Flash, Green arrow, batgirl, batman, and nightwing, and catwoman, and doomsday were all rush down characters. Yet they were all played completely differently.
Yep, and to go one step further even thinking of the "top tiers", yea they were all a cut above low tiers, but that's just the nature of FGs. The top was spread out like:

MMH: Jack of all trades doing them all too well. Ryu, Jin, and Liu are still jealous to this day.
Zod: Peak space control/zoning/etc, could mix in pressure and mixups, trait was godlike.
Batgirl: Criminal-levels of mixups and resets that make you question what in life brought you to play this game.
Aquaman: GOAT defense/pokes/neutral and legendary chip, great anti-zoning.
Flash: A premonition of what MKX rushdown would become. Literally slowing down time to body you with 100 hits.
Sinestro: Elite space control and top notch zoning, had some nasty resets in his own right
Bane: The worst I ever lost in this game was running a long set against GGA Max trying to learn the MU with Raven. It was so brutal I almost retired from life. Godlike grappling with risk/reward tradeoffs.
Superman: The all-arounder of the game, easy to pick up and just strong enough to hold his own in most MUs.

I think that Top 7 is pretty unanimous with the 8 spot being more debatable between guys like Supes/WW/Deathstroke/Doomsday, but none of those characters played like the other. They actually all played VERY different from each other representing the type of diverse playstyles you dream of in a game like this. When I have my nostalgia glasses on with MK9 and Inj this is what I enjoyed the most from the game.

Also, buff Raven.

LEGEND

YES!
This is now an Injustice appreciation thread

It was pretty great maining two characters in the top 6 but neither were top 4 so there was plenty of room for tears. I'll forever downplay Sinestro and advocate for a weighted MU chart that brings him down a few places.

MMH is honestly ban worthy. But just like Kabal, he's insanely fun to play and unless your character got 100% bopped by him, he was still fun to fight.
Also, buff Raven.
No

Also, Ban interactables

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
This is now an Injustice appreciation thread

It was pretty great maining two characters in the top 6 but neither were top 4 so there was plenty of room for tears. I'll forever downplay Sinestro and advocate for a weighted MU chart that brings him down a few places.

MMH is honestly ban worthy. But just like Kabal, he's insanely fun to play and unless your character got 100% bopped by him, he was still fun to fight.

No

Also, Ban interactables
Ask and ye shall receive!

I actually find it hilarious the 8 I picked are actually the top 8 here just in a different order LOL! More proof that we should have BUFFED Raven. What were two 3-7 Sinestro MUs? I don't remember MUs that bad for him. Raven-Doomsday should have gotten 2-8. One of the all-time worst MUs.

LEGEND

YES!
Ask and ye shall receive!

View attachment 21506
I actually find it hilarious the 8 I picked are actually the top 8 here just in a different order LOL! More proof that we should have BUFFED Raven. What were two 3-7 Sinestro MUs? I don't remember MUs that bad for him. Raven-Doomsday should have gotten 2-8. One of the all-time worst MUs.
I'll downplay a bit of Sinestro's winning MUs. I don't think he beats Superman. And he surely does not go even with Batgirl as some claim.

He loses HARD to Aquaman. You gotta play like a god just to make it a 3-7. I'm also not sold on Flash and MMH being even. Cowboy is just so much better than most people that they skew the numbers.

Bane is also an infamous losing MU. Not having any really wake-ups is ass. And he'll just plow through zoning with trait and play defense on cooldown while Sinestro has no real way to open him up or do a significant amount of chip to make up the difference.

idc that he 8-2s or 7-3s the unviable half of the cast lol

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I'll downplay a bit of Sinestro's winning MUs. I don't think he beats Superman. And he surely does not go even with Batgirl as some claim.

He loses HARD to Aquaman. You gotta play like a god just to make it a 3-7. I'm also not sold on Flash and MMH being even. Cowboy is just so much better than most people that they skew the numbers.

Bane is also an infamous losing MU. Not having any really wake-ups is ass. And he'll just plow through zoning with trait and play defense on cooldown while Sinestro has no real way to open him up or do a significant amount of chip to make up the difference.

idc that he 8-2s or 7-3s the unviable half of the cast lol
The Bane one I remember being a notoriously bad one for him, I forgot about Aquaman though. Man this convo makes me miss Inj so much haha such good times.

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
Injustice was the greatest representation of archtypes we'll ever see. #ProveMeWrong
It really was something special, wasn't it.

Yep, and to go one step further even thinking of the "top tiers", yea they were all a cut above low tiers, but that's just the nature of FGs. The top was spread out like:

MMH: Jack of all trades doing them all too well. Ryu, Jin, and Liu are still jealous to this day.
Zod: Peak space control/zoning/etc, could mix in pressure and mixups, trait was godlike.
Batgirl: Criminal-levels of mixups and resets that make you question what in life brought you to play this game.
Aquaman: GOAT defense/pokes/neutral and legendary chip, great anti-zoning.
Flash: A premonition of what MKX rushdown would become. Literally slowing down time to body you with 100 hits.
Sinestro: Elite space control and top notch zoning, had some nasty resets in his own right
Bane: The worst I ever lost in this game was running a long set against GGA Max trying to learn the MU with Raven. It was so brutal I almost retired from life. Godlike grappling with risk/reward tradeoffs.
Superman: The all-arounder of the game, easy to pick up and just strong enough to hold his own in most MUs.

I think that Top 7 is pretty unanimous with the 8 spot being more debatable between guys like Supes/WW/Deathstroke/Doomsday, but none of those characters played like the other. They actually all played VERY different from each other representing the type of diverse playstyles you dream of in a game like this. When I have my nostalgia glasses on with MK9 and Inj this is what I enjoyed the most from the game.

Also, buff Raven.

Couldn't agree more. I think about that era all the time. The diversity amongst playstyles was fantastic and offered something for everyone. I personally loved Bane and Grundy

Last edited:

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
I appreciate the feedback, but I fail to understand how anyone can claim that Namco has released nothing innovative since Tekken 5.

Tekken 7 introduced rage arts, rage drives, power crush (armor), wall bounces, 2D characters, etc.

Tekken 8 introduced the heat system and by definition heat smash, heat dash, chip damage, etc.

A successful legacy fighting game keeps aspects that players love yet includes new aspects to entertain and challenge players, which is what Capcom and Namco do with Street Fighter and Tekken, respectively.

NRS fails in this regard entirely. Mortal Kombat 9, X, and 11 are so different from one other that one might reasonably deduce that they could have been developed by different fighting game companies, which has led to multiple problems over the years.

On another note, while I agree with 90% of what Tom is saying about the game privately and publicly, this "steroid buff" talking point is inconceivably foolish. In fact, just last night, Namco released a balance patch that primarily nerfed some of the top tier characters, or at least perceived as such week one.

Every fighting game contains gameplay designs or elements that favor certain characters over others. A fighting game that revolves around doing unsafe half screen moves that become safe because of assists is probably not going to benefit zoning characters. On the other hand, a fighting game that has a slow pace and limited movement options like Injustice is probably not going to benefit rush down characters.

To quote Sajam, fighting game have always revolved around "what bull shit you want to tolerate". Albeit a plethora of complaints persists, the majority of players in the NRS universe had rather tolerate characters who play like Cage and Raiden than Freddy and Sub Zero. Mortal Kombat is consequently a result of this tolerance, and no amount of complaining will change anything.
I just want to say Tekken has evolve its gameplay but the movesets rarely change from my perspective being more of a casual for that game. I really think they need to get away from trying to add 2D elements into a 3D game as it isn't what a 3D game. Why does a 3D fighter need chip damage? Why does a 3D fighter need meter? Why does a 3D fighter need supers? We gotta stop with trying to make everything kind of like Street Fighter because it's popular.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I just want to say Tekken has evolve its gameplay but the movesets rarely change from my perspective being more of a casual for that game. I really think they need to get away from trying to add 2D elements into a 3D game as it isn't what a 3D game. Why does a 3D fighter need chip damage? Why does a 3D fighter need meter? Why does a 3D fighter need supers? We gotta stop with trying to make everything kind of like Street Fighter because it's popular.
Are you implying that every fighting game plays similar because of chip damage and super meter?

Tekken 8 plays nothing like Street Fighter 6. Tekken 8 plays like Tekken.

Focus on the function of the gameplay mechanic, not on a graphical representation of said gameplay mechanic.

Besides, as you accurately pointed out, Tekken needs to evolve its gameplay. I played Tekken 7 for six years. I want to play something different now.

Not all but most.

I believe that this patch could be the worst one yet.

Last edited:

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Are implying that every fighting game plays similar because of chip damage and super meter?

Focus on the function of the gameplay mechanic, not on a graphical representation of said gameplay mechanic.

Besides, as you accurately pointed out, Tekken needs to evolve its gameplay. I played Tekken 7 for six years. I want to play something different now.

Not all but most.

It doesn't play like SF6 but stuff like Chip Damage and supers is something they were known for. I just don't think they need to be in a 3D fighter at all.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Are implying that every fighting game plays similar because of chip damage and super meter?

Not all but most.

I don’t play the game anymore but I’m looking forward to the next podcast discussing the changes.

Also, this thread isn’t allowed to be on the front page of the website anymore? Even if it’s active?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
It doesn't play like SF6 but stuff like Chip Damage and supers is something they were known for. I just don't think they need to be in a 3D fighter at all.
Again, Tekken had to evolve, and Namco took some risks (something that NRS has not done since Mortal Kombat X) with the heat system, chip damage, overhauled throws, etc. They did a very good job, in my opinion.

Also, this thread isn’t allowed to be on the front page of the website anymore? Even if it’s active?
I believe that TYM will have its own "more positive" podcast in which the hosts pretend as though nothing were wrong with Mortal Kombat 1.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Again, Tekken had to evolve, and Namco took some risks (something that NRS has not done since Mortal Kombat X) with the heat system, chip damage, overhauled throws, etc. They did a very good job, in my opinion.

I believe that TYM will have its own "more positive" podcast in which the hosts pretend as though nothing were wrong with Mortal Kombat 1.
True but if you risks ends up pissing off legacy players it's a poor ones. That shit killed DOA and Soul Calibur isn't doing much better. I'm praying the new Virtua Fighter doesn't include 2D bullshit. NRS takes risks but not at the cost of pissing off longtime fans and players. I don't want a comeback mechanic in MK/Injustice. I don't want traditional supers.(X-rays were really cool though.). Not everything needs to mirror Street Fighter for it to be successful. Adding something like Air Kombat is more productive than giving me some shit Street Fighter has done.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
The problem I feel with most of the game is the super rushdown. This becomes a catch 22 with legacy gameplay. Also, it seems odd the game with more power has way less options than the previous games. One would think they would give legacy at least all of those options. It isn't good when wifi played on PS4 MK11 from way back in 2019. I see little difference in online play with wifi and on direct connect. They even once said in an MKX kombat kast back in the day to switch from wifi to wired to improve the online play. Anyway .... also us older people who paid the games at 12 have trouble with controllers with early arthritis and the blood pressure. Younger people can handle it. For whatever reason in games in general we are in a transition period. But one thing is clear IMO....there really doesn't seem to be one community to go to get information no matter how you play or give feedback. Youtube, Reddit, Twitch/Streaming, Twitter, it's all exhausting and thus overload.

It's almost like music. Now it's here today and gone tomorrow. and Expensive concerts. and we need a Fighters Megamix not a new Virtua Fighter. or just make this new Virtua Fighter a Fighters Megamix. But they won't. lol @CY MasterHavik @M2Dave

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The problem I feel with most of the game is the super rushdown.
I played Mortal Kombat X, and while playing the game did anything but complement my gameplay style, the high powerful levels, the ever-changing top tier characters, and the exceptional online gameplay captivated my interest for a long time.

Although I sympathize with your rush down argument, Mortal Kombat 1's primary problem is that the game and the meta within the game are boring. For a significant portion of the roster, the strategy is to perform a special move, whether to extend a string or to approach an opponent, and follow up with a kameo attack. Rinse and repeat. If you were a new player and you watched a tournament match, you would come to the conclusion that Kung Lao only has low hat and that Stryker only has grenades as kameo attacks, respectively. Even a more complex kameo character like Tremor, who has access to three stances and multiple kameo attacks, is essentially chosen to perform two functions, the ambush ground pound and the increased health value, the latter being an uncontrolled variable.

I consider the most recent patch a failure because the developers have shown no intention of deviating from this monotonous meta. In fact, they are making the game more boring by nerfing the top tier characters as well as top tier kameos. The game would have been much better served with the addition of new gameplay elements, such as the universal push block mechanic that many people thought was going to be implemented.. Playing or watching buffed Quan Chi versus pre-patch Johnny Cage would have been fun and something different in a Mortal Kombat 1 with a hypothetical push block mechanic.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I played Mortal Kombat X, and while playing the game did anything but complement my gameplay style, the high powerful levels, the ever-changing top tier characters, and the exceptional online gameplay captivated my interest for a long time.

Although I sympathize with your rush down argument, Mortal Kombat 1's primary problem is that the game and the meta within the game are boring. For a significant portion of the roster, the strategy is to perform a special move, whether to extend a string or to approach an opponent, and follow up with a kameo attack. Rinse and repeat. If you were a new player and you watched a tournament match, you would come to the conclusion that Kung Lao only has low hat and that Stryker only has grenades as kameo attacks, respectively. Even a more complex kameo character like Tremor, who has access to three stances and multiple kameo attacks, is essentially chosen to perform two functions, the ambush ground pound and the increased health value, the latter being an uncontrolled variable.

I consider the most recent patch a failure because the developers have shown no intention of deviating from this monotonous meta. In fact, they are making the game more boring by nerfing the top tier characters as well as top tier kameos. The game would have been much better served with the addition of new gameplay elements, such as the universal push block mechanic that many people thought was going to be implemented.. Playing or watching buffed Quan Chi versus pre-patch Johnny Cage would have been fun and something different in a Mortal Kombat 1 with a hypothetical push block mechanic.
Strange, because Ermac doesn’t play like this at all.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Strange, because Ermac doesn’t play like this at all.
Even stranger that I have to quote myself for those individuals who only skim posts...

For a significant portion of the roster, the strategy is to perform a special move, whether to extend a string or to approach an opponent, and follow up with a kameo attack.
I am aware that there are characters in this game who do not follow this meta. I only wish that there more of them.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Even stranger that I have to quote myself for those individuals who only skim posts...

I am aware that there are characters in this game who do not follow this meta. I only wish that there more of them.
Well, your claim was that the patch was a failure because it “shows no intention of deviating from this meta”.

Yet the patch introduced a new character with a much different meta, gave buffs to two characters (Reptile and Rain) that give them additional options with very different choices than just repeating string into kameo, and removed the autopilot Raiden meta that caused him to use string into stormcell in every exchange with no counterplay. So if anything, it says the opposite.