What's new

New Era Podcast

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm just going to leave this right here. It's timestamped for your own convenience btw.

The only thing he's missing is that those players from the rest of the FGC who casually pick up other games and register for them only do so for 3-4 months. You can look at our competitive player base picking up/streaming T8, and that's about how long they lasted.

So if it's more than 3-4 months away from release of a smaller game, you will never have the same numbers that you would with a tournament in the first few months.

Other than that, he's spot-on about serious players liking the gameplay, and how a meta featuring extra elements (someone called it "complex" in another thread) is not really targeted at casuals. To me, as far as fighting games go, MK1 is not particularly complex. But I guess to someone that's not used to any fundamentally necessary mechanics in MK games outside of moving back and forth and doing combos, something like an assist or the mechanics of Sento is a big mental leap.

rifraf

Noob
The only thing he's missing is that those players from the rest of the FGC who casually pick up other games and register for them only do so for 3-4 months. You can look at our competitive player base picking up/streaming T8, and that's about how long they lasted.

So if it's more than 3-4 months away from release of a smaller game, you will never have the same numbers that you would with a tournament in the first few months.

Other than that, he's spot-on about serious players liking the gameplay, and how a meta featuring extra elements (someone called it "complex" in another thread) is not really targeted at casuals. To me, as far as fighting games go, MK1 is not particularly complex. But I guess to someone that's not used to any fundamentally necessary mechanics in MK games outside of moving back and forth and doing combos, something like an assist or the mechanics of Sento is a big mental leap.
I consider Max as a pretty neutral source when it comes to FGC politics. He has nothing to gain, and arguably, he is too diverse to care if NRS blacklists him.

Any comment from the opposition? I'm impartial btw :D @M2Dave

Subby Z

Noob
Maximilian is spot on. I consider myself a huge mk fan, but a fighting game casual and that’s fine. I personally don’t like the kameo system.

I also want to play with Kuai Liang when I’m wanting to play as Sub-Zero and I have done that since I was a child because he’s been Sub-Zero since MK2. What’s that you say? Scorpion was also Hanzo Hasashi in every fucking game we have played until this one?

Those aren’t the only 2 changes I hated either. There were plenty of characters who were fucked over in this game. MK1 is a turd that needs to be flushed.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Any comment from the opposition? I'm impartial btw :D @M2Dave
Maximilian is obviously right, but I would argue that everyone hates the kameo system, not just the casual gamers. Visually speaking, the number one problem with the kameo system is monotony, and if there is one thing casual gamers despise, it is watching the same one or two moves being used ad infinitum.

In spite of the incessant arguments over the past ten months (or much longer if you include Mortal Kombat 11), I believe that Mortal Kombat's formula for success is straightforward. If I were the producer at NRS, I would create a fast-paced fighting game, similar to Mortal Kombat X but with more defensive options, archetypes, and execution. I would ensure that there is an abundance of single-player content and the highest quality online gameplay. You will never please every player, but a fusion between Mortal Kombat 9 and X (without the variations) appears the subsequent and logical step for this franchise.

What a fanboy nonsense. Hating on other franchises to raise your opinions on MK is stupid. Typical NRS fan boy behavior. MK11 and MK1 are trash. MK1 had potential but unfortunately it ended up being bland and boring.

The various single player modes also don’t do a good job teaching casuals how to have fun with the Kameo system (setting the monotony and simplicity of the early kameo system aside). Invasions and the story mode could have done a better job educating the player and left a better impression on them.

Casual interest would be higher if the game was released in a better state, with better single player modes that impart (with fun gameplay) how to play it

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Re: Story,

These dummies need to get away from their current story mode presentation of having the heroes beat the ever living crap out of the villains every scene. Shao Kahn looks about as strong as the Brooklyn Brawler.

Invasions shouldn't even exist. All that energy could have been spent towards a viable konquest mode that world built. Take a page from SF and have a create a character to enter konquest. You can also implement the krypt into this mode ala Bloodborne's dungeons. Have to fight your way to unlock all the goodies. Helll have real invasions emanate from this mode ala Souls series where another player can challenge you and gank your coins. (Turn off online mode if you don't want to get invaded )

NRS is brain dead, lazy, or both.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
That's a bold statement.

Hard pass on MKX for me. The epitome of party game. More mash, more 50/50s, more scrub mechanics. The logical step forward for MK. Lock in!
Honestly the contradiction you bring up is one of the biggest issues with the discussion for me.

Like you, MKX wasn’t my favorite meta — the run button and constant 50/50s with 50% screen normals, etc. And I didn’t claim that everyone hated the meta because it wasn’t my thing. I played it anyway, still tried to learn whatever I could, and supported the scene.

It seems like a lot of people don’t have the self-awareness that you do to just admit their own personal dislike of a game or meta. So they try to claim that no one else likes it as well, when that’s clearly not the case.

Then the same people turn around and say that T8 is just a different kind of game than past versions of Tekken, and everyone needs to adjust and accept it for what it is/isn’t, while the community has been ripping the meta and Namco apart. It’s beyond hypocritical.

rifraf

Noob
Honestly the contradiction you bring up is one of the biggest issues with the discussion for me.
Personally, I don't mind criticism at all. What I do mind, is when people take things personally and when they're clearly unable to be constructive. Instead, they result in endless drama and sentimentality which makes discussion impossible. That's precisely the reason why I think it's important to call out the hypocrisy. In a respectful manner, of course. Since discussion is clearly impossible, point out the hypocrisy and move on.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
There is neither hypocrisy nor drama.

When players speak fondly of Mortal Kombat, they are usually referring to Mortal Kombat 9 and X.

After a succession of mediocre 3D fighting games, Mortal Kombat 9 resurrected the competitive scene while Mortal Kombat X acquired the most participants at EVO its second year. There have also been tournaments for Mortal Kombat X hosted by Maximilian and Destroyer well after the game's lifespan. Irrespective how anyone feels about Mortal Kombat 9 and X because, as I have already said, you cannot please everyone, you would think that NRS would implement character archetypes as well as running into the subsequent game instead of this failed kameo system.

Street Fighter and Tekken are presently getting six to seven, sometimes even as high as nine to ten, more players than Mortal Kombat 1, which is abnormal in spite what the apologists claim.

Mortal Kombat, the franchise that sells millions and millions of copies, is currently losing to Under Night In-Birth II Sys: Celes, a game that I have never heard of.

Stop making excuses for Mortal Kombat 1 and demand that NRS design a fighting game that the NRS scene (and others) actually gives a damn about.

rifraf

Noob
Stop making excuses for Mortal Kombat 1 and demand that NRS design a fighting game that the NRS scene (and others) actually gives a damn about.
No one is truly doing that though, it's just that each one is dealing with things they don't like differently. I hate speaking for others, but let's take Crimson for example. He clearly stated in his latest post that even though he didn't love MKX' meta, he tried playing the game and still supported the scene. That's one way of dealing with it. Me. I didn't care. When MKX was a thing, I just didn't care to be around anything MK because I realised that game wasn't for me at all. That's another way.

Regarding MK1, I love the game. However, I've been very vocal about things I personally don't like and would like to see changed. But you need to understand that these things are not major. Even if NRS implements these changes, MK1 will still be MK1 which means some fans like you for example just won't like it still, lol.

It's clear you and Tom have passion about MK, but just because YOU don't like MK1 does not equal to EVERYONE or even the majority not liking it. This may be a tough one to swallow for passionate fans like you but sometimes you just have to hold that. I hold it for more than years. You may love one, you may hate the next. That's how NRS does things.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
If NRS used MKX as a canvas and took the 2 best variations of each character and combined them for example

Scorpion Hellfire + Ninjistu and add a special move from Inferno (demon summons)

Kung Lao Tempest + Buzzsaw and a special from hat trick (Hatrap)

And what's even more insane is that NRS could keep the characters strings the same since they were universal in each variation they can add also add those unique ones like scorpions ninjustu strings to the list above.

Imagine the Characters in this example right now compared to what we got in MK1. THIS I what i expected from MK11 and more so MK1... This is what Mortal Kombat's trajectory should've been.

When you find success you don't deviate from it you build upon it. This is called Legacy. Capcom and Namco know this and thats why they're at the top.