What's new

MORTAL KOMBAT 11 RUMORS...When Is It? Where Is It? - Maximilian Dood

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
People can indeed overreact sometimes, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be respectful of each other and other people's culture. A Native American character respectfully representing their point of origin and inspiration isn't a bad thing. Again, I see Thunder's redesign in Killer Instinct was done incredibly well. The fact that the dev team went all in with getting guidance from the Nez Percé tribe to make Thunder into what he is now was just amazing, imo. And I see no reason why NRS can't do something alike should they choose to bring Nightwolf back, or Capcom with T. Hawk.

I personally think it makes the characters more interesting when they have a solid foundation in their lore and design.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Depends on the stereotype. Not all stereotypes are racist
Sure, but in general I think game devs are doing a much better job at taking characters who were previously kinda racist/gross stereotypes and turning them into much more compelling characters. I think it's strange when people complain about "PC" culture, when in this case there's been no real harm done (we have plenty of fun characters) and it's actually lead to better character design.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Sure, but in general I think game devs are doing a much better job at taking characters who were previously kinda racist/gross stereotypes and turning them into much more compelling characters. I think it's strange when people complain about "PC" culture, when in this case there's been no real harm done (we have plenty of fun characters) and it's actually lead to better character design.
The real harm is the annoyance of going to the upmost EXTREME without even doing their research. These PC kids are quick to label something "BAD, RACIST, TOO LEWD" etc when its not even that serious. Its fucking video games at the end of the day. They already got SFV censored with R.Mika's Butt Slam Super and too me, thats a fucking problem because it harms literally NOBODY but the smallest thing gets censored out of crying to devs. Real life is already hard as it is, and video games are an escape of enjoyment. I shouldn't have to have my video games censored or labeled as bad because of this PC culture. That's how I feels. Shit.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
The real harm is the annoyance of going to the upmost EXTREME without even doing their research.
That's not what's actually happening though. In the case of SFV, they made a descision themselves based on marketing to tone it down slightly. It was a small change, didn't really hurt anyone or keep anyone from enjoying the game. And there's still plenty of bewbs and butts, not like they completely overhauled the character or anything.

Real life can be hard, and I think it's great that for many video games can be an escape, but that's actually why I think these things matter. Imagine facing prejudice/discrimination/racism in the real world, trying to escape for a bit through videogames, and then having to face the exact same prejudice/discrimination/racism in game. Being too PC could certainly be a problem, but right now I don't think we're anywhere close to having that problem.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I hope they show a good teaser or something. I remember the reveal trailer of MKX with that weird rap song lol it was terrible.