What's new

MK11 Story Discussion Thread (obvious spoilers)

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
Yeah, but she is the leader of the Tekunin just because Kronika wanted? I didn't sense much motivation on Frost. The whole Cyber Lin Kuei thing is weird. Why is Sektor a subordinate of Frost?
she was turned into cyborg she says raiden ignored her some how . her arcade will hopefully show somthing,

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
As an aspiring storyteller myself, I'm getting more and more upset the more I think about it.
Besides from the whole "don't mess with different timelines if you don't have a competent story crew to back it up", it's been a while since I've seen such garbage character development.
I was soooo hyped for Cetrion. And then she's trash.
I was hyped for Kollector. Trash.
Thank God I wasn't hyped at all for Geras, but for those who were, my condolences.
If you're going to focus on the same old characters, make a roster that fits the bill. As @ProfessorOak said, there was no need to introduce new and out of the box characters if you're gonna waste them. Put the same old bad guys/jobbers and at least people won't be so negatively surprised.
Kronika is quite possibly the worst main antagonist the franchise has ever had. She might be worse than effin Blaze ffs

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Was the Kollector even necessary? Would anyone have been upset if that spot went to Ermac? Or Motaro or Rain or Reiko or any character historically working for Shao? If we were expected to accept Frost as a Kronika henchmen, couldnt Cetrion had easily been replaced by a requested God level character like a corrupted Fujin?

It was pointless and Shallow. If you story and lore fans got so upset over Mileena that you beat Twitter to death, I really would like to see that amplified over this story.
I see your point, and I wouldn't say you're incorrect.

But in my opinion these new characters had a lot of potential but fell flat because of weird narrative decisions. The Kollector didn't even had his own story, and he certainly sounds like an interesting character. But then he does nothing.

Cetrion... this is my biggest disappointment.
They promoted her as the opposite of Shinnok, they put her in the story trailer giving advice on how to defeat Kronika, she could've been the only Elder God willing to fight alongside Raiden.

But then she becomes the new Shinnok. Or worse... the MKX Quan Chi, something like that. This character was really wasted.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
what other media do people want though i dont they do comics anymore also there mk movie reboot
They could partner with netflix for a anime series like Castlevania recently did. They could maybe even try a new format to the in game stories. Idk. Comics felt right to me, I just think its a less appealing media to the mass audience therefore WB probably doesnt wanna do it anymore. Idk. I think the era of good stories in Multiplayer games is just over.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
MKX was leaps ahead in terms of character development. Even if I didn't like any of the kombat kids, they perform their role well. And even though the recent games have been shit to the bad guys in terms of development (sure, I don't mind the 47th special forces story chapter when I don't even know what Ferra and Torr actually are, good job) at least MKX had D'Vorah playing an important role. MK11 was just "sure, let's throw in these new characters and hype the shit out of them just to make them MK9 Reptile levels of background jobber".
And to think NRS gets praised for their storytelling. Speaks a lot about where the industry's at atm.

They could partner with netflix for a anime series like Castlevania recently did. They could maybe even try a new format to the in game stories. Idk. Comics felt right to me, I just think its a less appealing media to the mass audience therefore WB probably doesnt wanna do it anymore. Idk. I think the era of good stories in Multiplayer games is just over.
i miss last mk cartoon was defenders of the realm i guess they can reboot that

Kronika is quite possibly the worst main antagonist the franchise has ever had. She might be worse than effin Blaze ffs
This. and also just throwing this out here but D'VORAH has been the best Villain in this franchise ever since Sindel killed the majority of MK9. She is actually someone I hate to love because she's such a bad bitch killing favorite characters left and right. A true Villain.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
This. and also just throwing this out here but D'VORAH has been the best Villain in this franchise ever since Sindel killed the majority of MK9. She is actually someone I hate to love because she's such a bad bitch killing favorite characters left and right. A true Villain.
Nah she’s little bit better .

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
I see your point, and I wouldn't say you're incorrect.

But in my opinion these new characters had a lot of potential but fell flat because of weird narrative decisions. The Kollector didn't even had his own story, and he certainly sounds like an interesting character. But then he does nothing.

Cetrion... this is my biggest disappointment.
They promoted her as the opposite of Shinnok, they put her in the story trailer giving advice on how to defeat Kronika, she could've been the only Elder God willing to fight alongside Raiden.

But then she becomes the new Shinnok. Or worse... the MKX Quan Chi, something like that. This character was really wasted.
I agree with you tho, If they had capitalized on the potential I would have been all over it. But they all felt like Hsu Hao and none felt like Kenshi.

Some of my favorite Mk characters are my favorites because of their potential, Kai, Havik, Smoke, Noob, Reiko, Fujin, but they all have one thing in common. NRS and Midway cant write complex character arcs therefore they fall to the background while Scorpion becomes good 15 new ways and Liu Kang goes from good to bad to good just as many. Sonya and Johnny will play will they wont they, and Jax will reinforce the “good black man” stereotype. Kano is the typical sleezebag with a fancy aussie accent because foreigners are bad. Kitana will be a snobby princess because ALL females are either military and rude. royalty and rude or assassin and rude, OR a mix of the latter two. No in betweens. Unless youre Mileena, then you are permitted sexual attributes. Johnny’s character development is 100% to have a western appeal remain while giving characters that are intended to be other races appearances that actually match those races. Quote me. Its such shallow bullshit. WB is now owned by Disney, correct? Im not a conspiracy guy, but Id wager that is not a coincidence. This story lacked depth or substance, its soul was stolen like Shang Tsung got to it before we saw it, and I bet the true culprit is that damn mouse. Hot Dog.

This story literally opened my eyes to this dev. NRS, Ima play your game and try to win these pot bonuses, hopefully the main game is tried and true MK. Otherwise, its duces on a 25 year relationship.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
I think the takeaway is that the MK11 story mode is a real fancy and elaborate way of saying "we have no fucking clue where we're going, so we'll just go nowhere and potentially everywhere at the same time with no real point to be made"
cries in MKD Konquest
to think MK had a rich and vast, albeit poorly executed at times universe once

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I think the takeaway is that the MK11 story mode is a real fancy and elaborate way of saying "we have no fucking clue where we're going, so we'll just go nowhere and potentially everywhere at the same time with no real point to be made"
cries in MKD Konquest
to think MK had a rich and vast, albeit poorly executed at times universe once
All I wanted, literally ALL i fucking wanted was a good story. Even if it was just another weird MKX-ish story about the build to Armageddon.
Instead, the entire fucking game ends up getting retconned, for the second time, with the most disjointed storyline MK has ever done, and literally no acknowledgement of the past or advancement of new characters/elements.
The ONLY person in this entire mess that it looks like got over cleanly and cemented themselves in a positive way is D'Vorah. And good for her. At least SOMEONE managed to make some real worthwhile progress.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
It felt like send off that could be opened up for more if they want
Yeah, thats what the ending felt like. But they lead to that destination in a way that made no sense whatsoever.

Heres a story for analogy purposes; Im literally just goin to start this from the top of my head, here we go:

Jack, Sam, and Derrick go to the movies to see the new Spider-Man. Sam is a huge Spider-Man fan. A bomb falls on them and only Jack survives. Jack may or may not see Spider-Man.

See how I left my story open to go in any direction? See how I gave a small taste of backstory to one character? See how I had a huge event that killed characters I introduced in the very beginning? Isnt it great? Isnt it wonderful?

Someone lets make a fughting game. Im maining Derrick. He seems to have potential as a character.

Ya know I usually like the idea of getting more story for DLC after games are released but... I don't think I want one for this game:coffee: of course idk how they could possibly mess it up more, but I don't wanna chance it either tbh.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
All I wanted, literally ALL i fucking wanted was a good story. Even if it was just another weird MKX-ish story about the build to Armageddon.
Instead, the entire fucking game ends up getting retconned, for the second time, with the most disjointed storyline MK has ever done, and literally no acknowledgement of the past or advancement of new characters/elements.
The ONLY person in this entire mess that it looks like got over cleanly and cemented themselves in a positive way is D'Vorah. And good for her. At least SOMEONE managed to make some real worthwhile progress.
Yeah, I wouldn't even be upset with a cheesy story, because MK is naturally cheesy most of the time. I just wanted them to at least acknowledge that the MK universe is more than just Earth, bad alien guys, bad guys from hell and some Gods running around like headless chicken.
The last games have been SO Earthrealm centered and ndglected so many cool storylines. I've always dreaded becoming a bitter old man with nostalgia glasses on myself (because I played a lot of the 3D games and I had to deal with the classic era widows back then), but NRS is actually doing this to me right now. I'm devastated.

nothing in mk make sense it doesnt ha sto be we mean we bug queen ,blood magic ninja and a people who can freeze people

i will leave this here who siad the nexy game is reboot the next game might be entery didffernt timeline i mean we might see suff scopripin and sub are in differnt clans

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
nothing in mk make sense it doesnt ha sto be we mean we bug queen ,blood magic ninja and a people who can freeze people

i will leave this here who siad the nexy game is reboot the next game might be entery didffernt timeline i mean we might see suff scopripin and sub are in differnt clans
It doesnt have to be realistic, they could make a character that shoots unicorns out of their urethra and griffins out of their vagina, but I want it to make sense, yes. It should be understandable. The characters should want things. They should have motivation and clear desire.

Realism isnt needed at all, I love the fantasy, immersion is. Cogesion is necessary. The Sub Zero/Scorpion story is a good example. Bi Han is the OG sub, Scorpion thinks Sub killed his clan. Scorpion attempts to take revenge, killing Bi Han, but then finds out that it was never Bi Han, but Quan Chi. Atoning for this mistake, Scorpion vows to protect This younger Sub Zero, Kuai Liang, the brother of his victim, Bi Han.

This all makes sense. Sub Zero is a fucking cryomancer, and Scorpion is already an undead hellspawn at this point. Is it realistic? No. But the story makes sense and I can live in that world if I suspend my aversion to the supernatural.

Now, you bring back Bi Han and he has no interaction with his murderer and doesnt want his own vengeance. Immersion broken.

You have Kuai Liang, a true good guy, seemingly pay so little attention to his student that she can organize a robot army with assumed dead robots? Immersion broken.

You have Sub and his older brother now returned as Noob not interact for two straight games when both are involved with the events.. immersion broken.

I cant care anymore. What happens now wont matter later, so why should I care what happens ever? To know what costumes Ill get to play? Because thats all this is now. God Liu Kang isjust a badass alt costume that they madea 2.5 hour trailer for, that they put INTO the game, that barely made sense.