What's new

MK11 Story Discussion Thread (obvious spoilers)

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
I mean

Its gonna be hell when the Game drops next week

People will bash them for this writing

I do want them to tell an MK story

But i hope they do it in comics or a Animated tv show of sorts (Like Professor Oak said)

I think the gameplay is great

But the more i think about this story and everything about it

Its just a random mix of things, going everywhere, yet nowhere, with the only conclusive thing being the ending

just...... Super disappointed

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
It doesnt have to be realistic, they could make a character that shoots unicorns out of their urethra and griffins out of their vagina, but I want it to make sense, yes. It should be understandable. The characters should want things. They should have motivation and clear desire.

Realism isnt needed at all, I love the fantasy, immersion is. Cogesion is necessary. The Sub Zero/Scorpion story is a good example. Bi Han is the OG sub, Scorpion thinks Sub killed his clan. Scorpion attempts to take revenge, killing Bi Han, but then finds out that it was never Bi Han, but Quan Chi. Atoning for this mistake, Scorpion vows to protect This younger Sub Zero, Kuai Liang, the brother of his victim, Bi Han.

This all makes sense. Sub Zero is a fucking cryomancer, and Scorpion is already an undead hellspawn at this point. Is it realistic? No. But the story makes sense and I can live in that world if I suspend my aversion to the supernatural.

Now, you bring back Bi Han and he has no interaction with his murderer and doesnt want his own vengeance. Immersion broken.

You have Kuai Liang, a true good guy, seemingly pay so little attention to his student that she can organize a robot army with assumed dead robots? Immersion broken.

You have Sub and his older brother now returned as Noob not interact for two straight games when both are involved with the events.. immersion broken.

I cant care anymore. What happens now wont matter later, so why should I care what happens ever? To know what costumes Ill get to play? Because thats all this is now. God Liu Kang isjust a badass alt costume that they madea 2.5 hour trailer for, that they put INTO the game, that barely made sense.
This. Every character's arc should be able to answer a few simple questions. "What do they want?", 'How will they achieve it?", "What will they do if they don't get it?", etc. That's pretty basic for the characters you want to be taken seriously as proeminent parts of the story.
By choosing not to properly develop most characters, NRS put themselves into a hole where 3 or 4 characters are well written and the rest is just trash.
Don't get me wrong, some characters should be less important. You can't have a coherent story with 8 protagonists and 17 more important secondary characters. Some kombatants will be relegated to the background sometimes, it happens. But putting over half of the roster in jobber duty and completely neglecting their storylines is just bad storytelling.

it not up to do them if they want to comic or cartoon it up to wb they get final say so ieven if they contuine on this path they need aporval from wb in what direcction they wnat to go

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
It doesnt have to be realistic, they could make a character that shoots unicorns out of their urethra and griffins out of their vagina, but I want it to make sense, yes. It should be understandable. The characters should want things. They should have motivation and clear desire.

Realism isnt needed at all, I love the fantasy, immersion is. Cogesion is necessary. The Sub Zero/Scorpion story is a good example. Bi Han is the OG sub, Scorpion thinks Sub killed his clan. Scorpion attempts to take revenge, killing Bi Han, but then finds out that it was never Bi Han, but Quan Chi. Atoning for this mistake, Scorpion vows to protect This younger Sub Zero, Kuai Liang, the brother of his victim, Bi Han.

This all makes sense. Sub Zero is a fucking cryomancer, and Scorpion is already an undead hellspawn at this point. Is it realistic? No. But the story makes sense and I can live in that world if I suspend my aversion to the supernatural.

Now, you bring back Bi Han and he has no interaction with his murderer and doesnt want his own vengeance. Immersion broken.

You have Kuai Liang, a true good guy, seemingly pay so little attention to his student that she can organize a robot army with assumed dead robots? Immersion broken.

You have Sub and his older brother now returned as Noob not interact for two straight games when both are involved with the events.. immersion broken.

I cant care anymore. What happens now wont matter later, so why should I care what happens ever? To know what costumes Ill get to play? Because thats all this is now. God Liu Kang isjust a badass alt costume that they madea 2.5 hour trailer for, that they put INTO the game, that barely made sense.
ALL OF THIS

Yeah, I wouldn't even be upset with a cheesy story, because MK is naturally cheesy most of the time. I just wanted them to at least acknowledge that the MK universe is more than just Earth, bad alien guys, bad guys from hell and some Gods running around like headless chicken.
The last games have been SO Earthrealm centered and ndglected so many cool storylines. I've always dreaded becoming a bitter old man with nostalgia glasses on myself (because I played a lot of the 3D games and I had to deal with the classic era widows back then), but NRS is actually doing this to me right now. I'm devastated.
ALL OF THIS EVEN MORE

Between this story, KustomGate, and that Skarlet V Skarlet Grand Final, I'm really at the point where I'm ready to accept that this game is going to be a joyless cash grab and I should start refocusing my sights and looking forward to Borderlands 3.

This feels more and more like Destiny 2 all over again. Like the movie that puts all its best feet forward in the trailer/buildup to release, and mention nothing about everything behind the curtain that the developers KNOW are going to turn off and turn away their base, because they're a AAA title and they know they're gonna make their money anyway.

All I wanted, literally ALL i fucking wanted was a good story. Even if it was just another weird MKX-ish story about the build to Armageddon.
Instead, the entire fucking game ends up getting retconned, for the second time, with the most disjointed storyline MK has ever done, and literally no acknowledgement of the past or advancement of new characters/elements.
The ONLY person in this entire mess that it looks like got over cleanly and cemented themselves in a positive way is D'Vorah. And good for her. At least SOMEONE managed to make some real worthwhile progress.
I mean D'vorah doesn't exist anymore so she had no progress

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Prepare for the storm next week
One thing I'm afraid of is that only a vocal minority of people who care about the story will complain.
Since storytelling in fighting games is often overlooked or simply garbage, NRS can pull long story modes with little to no story depth and still get praised by casual players and critics alike. Unfortunately, I think very little attention will be paid to how awful the storytelling is in this game.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
Maybe this is why Boon wants to halt the breaks on MK

Cause he doesnt have the motivation for it anymore

It can be tiring doing the same game over 27 years.

Its probably why he wants to make something different.

But, its still not an excuse for this story mode. This was supposed to be one of its biggest selling points, and overall, the entire thing was just a complete and utter mess, and threw away 8 years of character development, all to start over again with a new slate.

The only thing i hope they do bring back, is the Liu and Kitana as Time Gods, watching over the realms, and making sure time flows correctly, and not go apeshit for no reason like Kronika, who has no motivation, and only just wants to restart the timeline again, so armageddon happens.

The only thing i hope they do bring back, is the Liu and Kitana as Time Gods, watching over the realms, and making sure time flows correctly, and not go apeshit for no reason like Kronika, who has no motivation, and only just wants to restart the timeline again, so armageddon happens.
i mean if it mean having liu and kitana not involeld that fine but reading comics about liu and kitana that even great

Samsara

Resident Cynic
This. and also just throwing this out here but D'VORAH has been the best Villain in this franchise ever since Sindel killed the majority of MK9. She is actually someone I hate to love because she's such a bad bitch killing favorite characters left and right. A true Villain.
Dvorah has everything she needs to be a major villain:

GOAL- The survival and flourishing of her hive.
MEANS - summon bug army by somehow crossing her swarm with powerful hosts.

Plot - the next mortal kombat tournament is hosted to determine the fate of the realms. All the strongest people from all the realms are gathered. Dvorah and bugs attack in hopes of injecting everyone and turning them into a super swarm.

Like... it's a 2 minute pitch but small scale stuff is fine over TIME TRAVEL ALTERNATE DIMENSIONS ELDER GOD BATTLE WHOOO!

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Dvorah has everything she needs to be a major villain:

GOAL- The survival and flourishing of her hive.
MEANS - summon bug army by somehow crossing her swarm with powerful hosts.

Plot - the next mortal kombat tournament is hosted to determine the fate of the realms. All the strongest people from all the realms are gathered. Dvorah and bugs attack in hopes of injecting everyone and turning them into a super swarm.

Like... it's a 2 minute pitch but small scale stuff is fine over TIME TRAVEL ALTERNATE DIMENSIONS ELDER GOD BATTLE WHOOO!
Dude exactly, less is more.

But the true fuck up, no one wants to admit, is MK9. Thats when this lazy ass reboot started. They never gave us a reboot, actually, they gave us a retread. The same plot, the same convoluted mess that leads to nothing, just with a shiny new bow on top. MK9 was when they trapped popular characters behind the dead in the water revenant gimmick. MK9 was when they started messing with Timelines. MK9 was when they came back from the Midway disaster. They learned nothing, they are the same team.

Ed Boon is George Lucas. He struck Gold with a franchise that will outlive him and will have better stories told without his teams direction.