What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Shang seems to have some very strong tools.

The trailer immediately starts with a mid (potentially low) hitting advancing string, followed by a skull projectile with very little recovery and a f4 similar to Sub Zero's, although this last one looks like a high.

He also seems to have an overhead starting string, which is insanely strong in MK11, expecially if the advancing string actually hits low. To be honest I hope it's just mid->low.

We also get 2 launchers with Ermac and Rain, a slide with Reptile and Smoke's insanely strong projectile parry. How much of this is gear though remains to be seen.

I'm super happy to see soul steal back obviously, expecially since we get access to our opponent's KB!

I really dislike his FB though: way too much morphing for my taste. Pretty sad about the aparent lack of zoning as well.

Also updated the OP.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Let's go champs. I'm expecting/hoping one tournament variation for Ninja stuff and one variation for the MK9 style soul steal mechanic. Seemingly has low combo potential without the Ninja specials which would make sense if you had the soul steal mechanic that has access to Krushing Blows and whatnot. I love the idea of the ninja specials but LBSH the soul steal better be tournament legal and it will be and god damn I can't wait to see and play this shit.

I am in tears, this is how I imagined Shang Tsung done properly, and they have done almost every single thing I thought of ( granted I imagined him turning into all kinds of kharacters for different specials and strings, but I understand why it had to be just ninjas)
@SaSSolino the seemingly overhead string looks like Sonya’s from MKX) this will be nuts if it is an overhead.
What interests me the most is the ground skulls ( or ground fire), it seems to launch, but will we be able to use it for spacing like HellSparks))? Lol Hell Sparks would be OD in MK11 spacing meta

Oh and the fatal!!! It is a combination of MK II Kintaro morph and the one where Shang himself goes inside the opponent and explodes them. Loooove it!!!

The trailer immediately starts with a mid (potentially low) hitting advancing string, followed by a skull projectile with very little recovery and a f4 similar to Sub Zero's, although this last one looks like a high.

He also seems to have an overhead starting string, which is insanely strong in MK11, expecially if the advancing string actually hits low. To be honest I hope it's just mid->low.

We also get 2 launchers with Ermac and Rain, a slide with Reptile and Smoke's insanely strong projectile parry. How much of this is gear though remains to be seen.

I'm super happy to see soul steal back obviously, expecially since we get access to our opponent's KB!

I really dislike his FB though: way too much morphing for my taste. Pretty sad about the aparent lack of zoning as well.

Also updated the OP.
Actually the FB is exactly how wanted it))

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
@SaSSolino the seemingly overhead string looks like Sonya’s from MKX) this will be nuts if it is an overhead.
What interests me the most is the ground skulls ( or ground fire), it seems to launch, but will we be able to use it for spacing like HellSparks))? Lol Hell Sparks would be OD in MK11 spacing meta
Yeah, that starter reminded me of Sonya's MKX b13 as well, which might have been my least favorite string in the entire game since not only it was odd to block, but it looks weird too. Also I despise Sonya.

The ground skulls don't look like they have zoning potential unfortunately, which is something I was strongly hoping for. That said having zoning on top of Smoke's crazy good anti zoning parry might have been too much, plus I loved hellsparks and as you said they seem to have a similar role.

Yeah, that starter reminded me of Sonya's MKX b13 as well, which might have been my least favorite string in the entire game since not only it was odd to block, but it looks weird too. Also I despise Sonya.

The ground skulls don't look like they have zoning potential unfortunately, which is something I was strongly hoping for. That said having zoning on top of Smoke's crazy good anti zoning parry might have been too much, plus I loved hellsparks and as you said they seem to have a similar role.
MK11 doesn’t have any 1frame parries, I wonder if Smoke’s shake will start up in 1 frame like it did in mk9)

The clawed gauntlets and the scroll are both possibilities for his kustomizable accessories,
I loved the addition of moves where he uses that scroll.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

Also updated the OP.
His projectile parry is gonna be really great against characters like Sonya and even Cassie. Smoke's in there so I'm definitely picking him up and hopefully I'll be able to use him as my secondary since I feel like no one else in the cast gels with me like Cass does.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
He looks awesome, love his costume and gameplay, Cary did a great job voicing him, there's absolutely nothing about Shang Tsung here that I dislike! Love it all! ♥

I am kinda sad that this means Rain and Smoke/Enenra won't be DLC, but I already didn't think that would happen, was just kinda hopeful. All in all though, including them into Shang Tsung's gameplay like this was pretty clever. Glad they didn't go down the Triborg route him, as it's just singular moves.

Wouldn't that be the dream?

To be fair after how badly that parry bodied Shang in the Smoke MU in MK9, it's only fair that he gets it for himself.
OMG!!! I still have PTSD from playing that MU. You chase him done because of the Shake,and there some neat things you can do with SoulSteal, but he builds made meter, by the time you reach him he has enough to break and reset you for like 80%. And when I myself taught two of my friends who played Smoke to shake in between the F4 and a ground skull....God, it is poetic justice that I get his soul and his move)

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
So, if you guys look back to his trailer you can see there is a part where he uses all of the ninja morphs at the same time (right before his FB), and that could mean a few things:
  1. the ninja morphs are base special moves
  2. they are two 1-slot Abilities that each add 2 morphs
  3. they are a 2 or even 3-slot Ability that adds all of the moves at once
Either way I wouldn't be too worried about them not being in his tournament variations.

So, if you guys look back to his trailer you can see there is a part where he uses all of the ninja morphs at the same time (right before his FB), and that could mean a few things:
  1. the ninja morphs are base special moves
  2. they are two 1-slot Abilities that each add 2 morphs
  3. they are a 2 or even 3-slot Ability that adds all of the moves at once
Either way I wouldn't be too worried about them not being in his tournament variations.
I mean Kollector in his trailer anti aired with a normal into the Disc restand, into the command grab KB launch. None of these things are possible, because first - command grab can’t KB in a combo, and second - the Disc is in none of his tournament variations.
The point is, anything is possible in the trailer, the tournament variations may be way more limited!

Wallach

Noob
The only thing I'm not sure how I feel about in the trailer is the triple horizontal fireball taking 2 meters (and it looks like the KB condition is to do the double amplified version too). That KB better do fierce damage if I have to spend my entire offensive reserve for it.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
The only thing I'm not sure how I feel about in the trailer is the triple horizontal fireball taking 2 meters (and it looks like the KB condition is to do the double amplified version too). That KB better do fierce damage if I have to spend my entire offensive reserve for it.
I didn't notice, but it's pretty good still if you think about it. Jumping double projectiles is already pretty hard in this game. Good luck jumping a third.

As far as the KB goes, if the requirements is double MB, I'd say it's fair enough. Situational, but doable.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I love how "Your brother's soul is mine!!!" which has forever been quoted as "Your soul is mine!!!" has now been officially used in his outro as such