What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
I am kinda hoping he will be able to only shift into like 3-4 characters who arent in the roster like Nightwolf, Kintaro, Great Kung Lao... Make him something like a lei wu longish character. Otherwise he prob wont be able to shift and just be some lame sorcerer or can only shift into the guy hes fighting.
Does he still have Great Kung Lao's soul? I think they were all passed into Sindel, who then died, presumably releasing all those souls while her soul passed into Quan Chi's hands.

Upskull combos were a thing of glory to behold and need to make their triumphant return. Upskull pressure too off that knee. And the ability to end combos in downskulls to prevent wake ups. Shit I just really miss MK9 all of a sudden. Bring him backkkk.
Totally agree with you. Except the fact that you completely messed up the names of his projectiles ))lol
The Skulls from the ground that lead to awesome juggles were called Ground Skulls, and the Up Skull was the official name of what you called a “down skull”.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Totally agree with you. Except the fact that you completely messed up the names of his projectiles ))lol
The Skulls from the ground that lead to awesome juggles were called Ground Skulls, and the Up Skull was the official name of what you called a “down skull”.
Lol yeah that. It’s been a minute so I just went with the directions and figured everyone would catch my drift, but thanks for clarifying haha.

The Single player Tag Mode really makes me hopeful that they can maximize the Shapeshifting potentially, to at least be able to upload 4 character models into one match, mk9 ladder boss Shang style)

Why? it put them in a standing reset and stole a move. I expect shang to have something like that.
It might be, but I am afraid This design would be a lot weaker in mk11, since he probably won’t have the 50/50 that will loop back into restand, or even lead to any significant damage. So it will just be another restand that most characters have anyway.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
7 characters, universal normals, and only 2-3 specials. It was a whole different world.
You couldn't play as Shang in MK1 but I think you are overrating the difficulty it takes to learn that many characters in an NRS game. Obviously you can wear yourself thin playing the whole cast but Shang players in MK9 were expected to have at least a functional gameplan with every character anyway, otherwise they get bopped for using soul steal.

That said, I doubt he gets to morph into anyone like that and I also wonder how variations would work.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I think it would be awesome if one of his Fatalities has him transform into Kintaro to kill his opponent. It would be a nice reference to his MK2 Fatality:

If it is THAT Kintaro, then fine.

All the other Kintaros look like crap.

iamylem

Noob
I think the whole soul stealing thing should be a mechanic to his gameplay. Like as he uses soul stealing moves more they either A: Return his vitality and make him progressively better or B: as he steals pieces of his opponents soul he begans to change into them. IDK how it would work but I would love to see it.

BlunderGod

The Kollector wants your lunch money
"Hello, earthrealmers, look at your champion, now back to me, now back at your champion, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using Shaolin Wu Shu and switched to Forbidden Sorcery, he could fight like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a nethership with the sorcerer your champion could fight like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s a Krypt chest with two invites to the Mortal Kombat Tournament. Look again, the invites are now a flaming skull. Anything is possible when your champion fights like a sorcerer and not a shaolin. I’m on a throne."

Sorry everyone, I just had to do this.

"Hello, earthrealmers, look at your champion, now back to me, now back at your champion, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using Shaolin Wu Shu and switched to Forbidden Sorcery, he could fight like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a nethership with the sorcerer your champion could fight like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s a Krypt chest with two invites to the Mortal Kombat Tournament. Look again, the invites are now a flaming skull. Anything is possible when your champion fights like a sorcerer and not a shaolin. I’m on a throne."

Sorry everyone, I just had to do this.
I read this in Carey's voice. Thank you!

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Is it that good, haven’t touched it yet)
It really is, it's basically a love letter to long time fans of franchise.

I'm yet to finish it, but already I found most of the MK1 stages and even many iconic spots from the 1995 movie. Hell, there's even the mountain pass where Johnny went "these were 500$ sunglasses, asshole".

The Krypt couldn't have been better honestly.

I'd love to see them do his iconic look from the 1995 movie. They have the actor, and to -me- that's Shang Tsung. When I was a kid, I thought he was just the coolest most awesome 'bad guy' you could get. He was funny, kind of witty,handsome even, but deep down evil to the core. He was Lucifer made manifest. Just such an iconic thing for Carey.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I think the whole soul stealing thing should be a mechanic to his gameplay. Like as he uses soul stealing moves more they either A: Return his vitality and make him progressively better or B: as he steals pieces of his opponents soul he begans to change into them. IDK how it would work but I would love to see it.
Same here. I’d prefer vitality and some cool visual bonus like getting younger if you do it enough. It’s movie Shang man.

I think his normal strings should be the morphing mechanic into characters. A heavy combo ender could be a Kintaro punch like that klassic fatality video up there. And could easily be a brutality. Or Goro since he’s dead in the background.