What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Which is extremely situational (like why would you want to morph into your enemy character if he struggles in the mu vs shang, or if you don't know how to use it), you are giving up damage for a potential thing, and also you need to consider that morph back can be super risky. Also repeating the same move over and over in a combo is not very cool to see.
If you don't know how to use another person's character then you need to go into the lab and learn

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Anyone else miss the absolute fucking shit out of upskulls? As much as I’m loving Shang in this game, I’m beginning to realize a large part of the appeal that made him my main in MK9 was the sheer joy of upskull pressure in the corner. :(

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Which is extremely situational (like why would you want to morph into your enemy character if he struggles in the mu vs shang, or if you don't know how to use it), you are giving up damage for a potential thing, and also you need to consider that morph back can be super risky. Also repeating the same move over and over in a combo is not very cool to see.
This is true. It's high risk, high reward, so if you like gambling a lot on big damage then it's good for you. I prolly wouldn't morph into anyone who doesnt have ways to open up the opponent or strong zoning. I usually don't use morph tho since I'm focusing on Shang's kit and it takes me longer to learn a character

Anyone could be morphed into, you just have to have a gameplan on how to best maximize your time in morph. Spending the bar on extended morph rather than a higher damage confirm into morph might be a good idea. You can also block sooner than you think after morph, so as long as you don't get comboed while morphed you should be safe.

I agree with the last part tho, though I find connecting ground spark combos super satisfying for some reason. It was the reason I tried playing Base Goku

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I was testing Shang's d2 as anti air and it felt quite inconsistent, like he moved his hurtbox upward before the move's hitbox.

Considering how active jump buttons are this is as dumb as it comes, do all characters have this?

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
updated BIO

Shang Tsung
INFLUENCE

Soul Sorcerer and historic host of the Mortal Kombat. Born in Earthrealm, Shang Tsung’s relentless pursuit of powerful magic led him to Outworld, where Shao Kahn offered him a dark power that no sorcerer on Earthrealm could.

Shang Tsung pledged his eternal loyalty to Shao Kahn in exchange for this evil magic, but he is no faithful servant. He dreams of the day his sorcery will overtake Shao Kahn’s, and he’ll pay any price to get there.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
I really wish the b1,2 KB could be used mid combo. Technically you can "meet" the requirement off a db1 launch if you're quick with it.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I really wish the b1,2 KB could be used mid combo. Technically you can "meet" the requirement off a db1 launch if you're quick with it.
I've tried it, but couldn't get it. Are you sure it's possible?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's situational but possible. I didn't get the KB though for some reason.

I added the link to the OP to make it pretty :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Uh, this is something pretty important I forgot to share:

Basically Shang can low profile and option select some wakeup u3s with his b3 and punish in full combo. I'm not sure which wakeups he can and can't yet though, I just know that it works in the mirror.

Shall we get in the lab guys?

So I noticed earlier that corpse drop makes the opponent bounce briefly if they jump. I’m off for now, can anyone confirm whether or not there is a corpse drip setup for the corner that can be comboed off of given that the opponent jumps?

Also, are there any safe setups with corpse drop enhanced? For example, if I did 114 in the corner and then enhanced corpse drop, any benefit to it? Sorry y’all, theory fighting in bed here.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
So I noticed earlier that corpse drop makes the opponent bounce briefly if they jump. I’m off for now, can anyone confirm whether or not there is a corpse drip setup for the corner that can be comboed off of given that the opponent jumps?

Also, are there any safe setups with corpse drop enhanced? For example, if I did 114 in the corner and then enhanced corpse drop, any benefit to it? Sorry y’all, theory fighting in bed here.
Yep, you can combo off of it in the corner. Nice find.

I'll see if there's more and add it to the combo thread.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Loving Shang at the moment. Been anxious to play online with any char before this, but I’m bodying scrubs now with Shang. And I’m fairly average myself.

Also, just noticed that he doesn’t morph into the enemy after brutalities if you’ve performed a mercy. Usually always morphs into them (unless a tag assist is present).

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Yeah I am loving Shang Tsung. I almost wonder if he is too easy to use effectively? I am not a high level player by any means, I don't have great execution, and tend to be a slow learner yet here I am with Shang Tsung on day 4/5 and having a similar success/win rate as my main (Kotal) who I have been playing since launch lol

Not complaining though. Shang Tsung is one of my favorite characters but I can't help but feel like some of the wins I am getting are maybe a bit undeserved? Kind of like I am winning because of the character rather than my personal skill lol

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Yeah I am loving Shang Tsung. I almost wonder if he is too easy to use effectively? I am not a high level player by any means, I don't have great execution, and tend to be a slow learner yet here I am with Shang Tsung on day 4/5 and having a similar success/win rate as my main (Kotal) who I have been playing since launch lol

Not complaining though. Shang Tsung is one of my favorite characters but I can't help but feel like some of the wins I am getting are maybe a bit undeserved? Kind of like I am winning because of the character rather than my personal skill lol
I get what you mean as I'm in the same boat. But maybe we've just found a character that really resonates with us.

If it was more down to the character you'd have heard by now, as the FGC doesn't wait until it starts proclaiming something as OP and needing nerfing.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I get what you mean as I'm in the same boat. But maybe we've just found a character that really resonates with us.

If it was more down to the character you'd have heard by now, as the FGC doesn't wait until it starts proclaiming something as OP and needing nerfing.
That's true lol there are usually a lot of kneejerk reactions/hot takes about characters being busted and I don't think I have seen much of that concerning Shang Tsung yet. Like I said I love that I am doing well with him since I love the character but when I compare him to my main (Kotal), I feel like I don't have to work quite as hard for my wins. Idk if that says more about Kotal or Shang but we will see lol

I imagine the second we see a known player use him at CEO he will start being OP ;)

ItsYaBoi

Noob
That's true lol there are usually a lot of kneejerk reactions/hot takes about characters being busted and I don't think I have seen much of that concerning Shang Tsung yet. Like I said I love that I am doing well with him since I love the character but when I compare him to my main (Kotal), I feel like I don't have to work quite as hard for my wins. Idk if that says more about Kotal or Shang but we will see lol

I imagine the second we see a known player use him at CEO he will start being OP ;)
Yeah, ain't that the truth haha. And I think it says more about Kotal - going from my Kotal experience anyway :p

Oh yeah definitely haha. Such is the FGC :D