What's new

General/Other - Mileena Mileena's True Tier Placement

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
When people start mentioning "safe armor launcher" as a tool a character is lacking, then you know that the character is good...
was asked to name something she doesnt have, not something she in need of, could of said a number of things like unblockables/htb's etc etc so relax yourself

^^^
I see I'm late with this :p

But hay that's how you know the variation system works one variation can't have absolutely everything

And Mileena does have that in Ethereal but it's better.
An invincible super plus on block launcher that's near impossible to whiff punish shuts down any argument

Plus thread is named "Mileenas true placement" not Piercing
ex fade isnt a launcher, its a combo extender but i get what u mean.
and of course this thread became the piercing show because 90%+ of tym just want/consider "the best" variation so they have to think less, work less and have a one for all answer for everything

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
was asked to name something she doesnt have, not something she in need of, could of said a number of things like unblockables/htb's etc etc so relax yourself

and of course this thread became the piercing show because 90%+ of tym just want/consider "the best" variation so they have to think less, work less and have a one for all answer for everything
I'm always relaxed. Even when almost the whole community has consensus about the fact that safe armored launcher moves shouldn't be in the game, and then I read that mentioned as a thing a character doesn't have, I'm still relaxed. The same applies to htb's. I'm relaxed xD

1man3letters

I'm always relaxed. Even when almost the whole community has consensus about the fact that safe armored launcher moves shouldn't be in the game, and then I read that mentioned as a thing a character doesn't have, I'm still relaxed. The same applies to htb's. I'm relaxed xD
eh ok....another general consensus of the whole community (bar cage forum) is alist is some broken shit, yet here we are...
like i said i was asked to name something she didnt have so i named some random ass stuff

ismael4790

eh ok....another general consensus of the whole community (bar cage forum) is alist is some broken shit, yet here we are...
like i said i was asked to name something she didnt have so i named some random ass stuff
Try not to mix apples with bananas. This is a Mileena thread, not a Cage one, man. I'm sure you don't need to criticize other characters to defend yours.

Well, Saltface thinks Mileena is #1. I don't even agree completely with that, but If you don't think she's #1, I hope you can come up with better stuff to answer his question. Because what his question was probably meaning is: what she doesn't have that she is lacking?

Only nerfs Mileena could take are : make the extend part of b12dd2 meter burn to reduce dmg... increase recovery of b12 on whiff..maybe less bar on sais.

1man3letters

Try not to mix apples with bananas. This is a Mileena thread, not a Cage one, man. I'm sure you don't need to criticize other characters to defend yours.

Well, Saltface thinks Mileena is #. I don't even agree completely with that, but If you don't think she's #1, I hope you can come up with better stuff to answer his question. Because what his question was probably meaning is: what she doesn't have that she is lacking?
im not defending anything lol i think mileena is one of the best in the game, s tier, top 5. what am i denfending?
not comparing apples and oranges either, you stated something "the whole community has consensus on", as did i, bar like i said the cage forum ;)

ismael4790

im not defending anything lol i think mileena is one of the best in the game, s tier, top 5. what am i denfending?
not comparing apples and oranges either, you stated something "the whole community has consensus on", as did i, bar like i said the cage forum ;)
I'll try to take as a joke the safe armored launcher thing you said, because if not I couldn't take seriously anything else you said, and you seem like a reasonable guy.

See, and I've never understood this. The concept of the Variation system as I understand it is to give a character a few different options/play styles to make them more versatile in certain match ups. So a character might have a "best" Variation, but the other two might prove more useful in specific situations.

As such, it's a good idea not just to learn a character and one Variation, but to at least have a good understanding of all of a character's Variations.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!

Lol fuck you guys :p

You knew what I meant, same thing fundamentally

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
What she lacks for being top 1 IMO is a stupid tool that she can abuse, just like other people have stated. There are characters that can abuse safe/plus on block vortexes, meterless mix-ups, hard to blockables, wreckless pressure, jailing strings, safe on block armored moves (I'm sure there are only a very few of this as of now but still...) and other stuff.
She is a great and well rounded character, I don't think anyone destroys her as of now but also I can't think of anyone she destroys other than Jacqui, she is a fair character honestly, the tool that she could abuse was nerfed to a more fair string. I don't think she will end up being the best but we will have to wait and see.
Of course this is my opinion and I'm sure other people's opinion won't change because I gave mine or vice-versa, why not just agree that she is a good over all character?

EDIT: I'm not saying she needs any of that at all... I'm just saying that she can't abuse anyting! For those anti-Mileena monsters out there that would eat me alive.

So I've read through all this @YOMI RM SaltFace, and seeing what has changed makes me believe she is, in fact, very strong now. Possibly even top tier. But here's my question to you. If you say she's #1, and others say she might be #4~6, what difference does it really make?

If she was decidedly #6 in the game, that's still plenty strong enough to where the character can't be blamed for losses. Hell, if she was top 10, that'd be the same thing. You could have just as easily said "Mileena is top tier" and the conversations here would be no different.

Truth is, no one knows everything about the DLC characters quite yet. Probably still stuff to find with the changes to previous characters. If your goal was to help people see she's very good, mission accomplished. But stating #1 just seems to be arguing semantics at this point.

Top tier is top tier to me, lol.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
maybe she doesn 't need to play yolo but you all resort to it eventually. like 90% of your gameplan works on the understanding that you could yolo anytime if i tried to do something as simple as a counterpoke. i wonder if we'd be having this thread if hurtboxes/hitbox mechanics in this game weren't wacky

i wanna see foxy's mileena

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Nice job NRS, make some random ugly girl with retarded mixups zone and control space better than characters built from the ground up for zoning and space control. Really.

She doesn't have:

1) Safe armor
2) Safe 50/50s
3) Meterless 50/50s (at least combo starting)
4) Pressure/Jail strings (like D'Vorah/Cage etc)
5) Her plus frames are 2 at max
6) Safe special, which means she can't cancel after a poke to anything without huge risk
7) Way too hard to hitconfirm b12, which means you can hit and not full combo convert pretty often. That's important since is her best string and almost the only string she can use on footsies (there is f23 too though)

The above "weaknesess" are for piercing, obviously some of them can be covered by her other variations but this shouldn't matter (since you can't counterpick midround each variation should be viewed as a different character).

@ismael4790 hope these satisfy you :)

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
6) Safe special, which means she can't cancel after a poke to anything without huge risk

@ismael4790 hope these satisfy you :)
A low poke is designed to get to frame advantage using a quick move, not to be a quick move you just throw a special out with, otherwise it defeats the purpose of the poke in the first place.

Special cancelling pokes is just bad play in most cases. Sorta wasteful.

Mileena is extremely good now. The A+ placement from the UK Tier list is pretty close to accurate. I'd even say maybe even S tier. KP2 is in a separate tier of it's own though above that.

Mileena is not the best in the game, but she has answers for just about anything right now. There's not a lot of characters that can claim that. I'd say she's top ten for sure, possibly top 5.

Being super unsafe most of the time doesn't matter as much as it used to for her.

In all honesty, this is how mileena should have been from the beginning. I've always said that a character that is forced to play neutral well and is designed to do so needs quick normal and less recovery on projectiles. Her move properties before XL didn't make a lot of sense with how you needed to use her. Now they do. Now she's super good. That faster D1 and reduced sai recovery were all she ever needed. If for no other reason than those are things a space controlling footsie based character requires.

Last edited:

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
She doesn't have:
7) Way too hard to hitconfirm b12, which means you can hit and not full combo convert pretty often. That's important since is her best string and almost the only string she can use on footsies (there is f23 too though)
Use the correct term: PIERCING doesn't have....
6. ex low sai is safe
7. that's your problem, not hers

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I think I've said this a few times while mileena is a great character she has to commit to everything she does(except piercing b+1,2). Mileena while having every tool(I think it's safe to say that) has to play a very reactionary style of gameplay. I'd say just by design she's high tier (even though my mileena is booty)

A low poke is designed to get to frame advantage using a quick move, not to be a quick move you just throw a special out with, otherwise it defeats the purpose of the poke in the first place.

Special cancelling pokes is just bad play in most cases. Sorta wasteful.
Like Shinnok's d4 hell sparks, right? That's totally wasteful.

It's not a bad play. It provides you with the further mind game when you may predict your poke will be blocked and your opponent will try to counter. And that's definitely a useful tool for a character who doesn't have safe pressure and safe 50/50s.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Like Shinnok's d4 hell sparks, right? That's totally wasteful.

It's not a bad play. It provides you with the further mind game when you may predict your poke will be blocked and your opponent will try to counter. And that's definitely a useful tool for a character who doesn't have safe pressure and safe 50/50s.
D4 hs is really an exception.

Use the correct term: PIERCING doesn't have....
6. ex low sai is safe
7. that's your problem, not hers
I clarified below I'm talking about piercing.
6. Really? I would swear it's punishable.
7. I'm pretty sure every Mileena player will miss a roll hitcofirm after b12. But you are the guy who can block 15 frames overheads on reaction so I suppose is not a problem for you.

D4 hs is really an exception.
So you never cancel your poke with Kano?