What's new

Liu Kang Matchup Discussion Thread

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Can u talk w me how to effectively use b2 charge cancel properly against liu Kang and by liu kang I mean Atl_redd lol

I didnt mention any B2 charge in my post.What do you mean ? Explain plz.If you mean to bait him with B2 charge cancel a good way is to do it then backdash or dash cause he ll probably either try to parry it or tries to interrupt it and then do either 31 lift or just lift,or throw after backdash or dash.Or you could cross-up him too for a good punish.Cant think of anything else cause i m not using B2 charge cancel very often.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I didnt mention any B2 charge in my post.What do you mean ? Explain plz.If you mean to bait him with B2 charge cancel a good way is to do it then backdash or dash cause he ll probably either try to parry it or tries to interrupt it and then do either 31 lift or just lift,or throw after backdash or dash.Or you could cross-up him too for a good punish.Cant think of anything else cause i m not using B2 charge cancel very often.
Thought I'd ask cause I picked him back up for particular match ups and think b2 cancels can be used well but I'm looking for best proper use.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Thought I'd ask cause I picked him back up for particular match ups and think b2 cancels can be used well but I'm looking for best proper use.
Well you really need to have LK at zoning phase at all times cause his pressure is insane up close.For the B2 charge cancels i cant tell you much cause i dont use it so often.But generally i try to zone LK as much as i can and if he gets in i ll just throw him back away to reset his fight and make him come to me again.For a good use of B2 you can check my post at the Ermac forums for a good ,lets say, reset at the corner.

Hey guys trust me on this

Liu kang 6-4 against cyber sub

Parry no longer works on his low, can out zone w iaf, wakeup parry now is awesome and his damage is 40%+ no meter as well as CSz has no chance getting out of a corner against him

Also 6-4 against NW, b3 1 2 stop shoulder in all frames LOL

U can bait hatchet w jip cancel air fire, drop punish. Liu's parry stops all corner pressure from NW unlike csz's.
Definately agree with the Cyber match up, NW maybe.. I posted on LotF's NW match up thread asking for his thoughts on it. It's probably 6-4 for Kang, but I dont think parry stops NW's F3. It didn't before the patch, I haven't tried it since. NW's F3 even beats Smoke's EX shake for some reason.

Agree with metzos ermac might be 7-3 for kang

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
LK vs CSZ 6-4?
LK Vs. Ermac 7-3?

Those are exaggerations. O_O

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
@jacope
on the saibot match up.... utilize the dragon stance sweep more... u hop back a little bit just to evade the shadow upkick and the range on the sweep is ridiculous. Also use those anti airs...once you have noob trapped its game over for him. also don't be afraid using jump forward kicks... use it as a strategy to ease up to the corner... if he teleports, free punish...

JacopeX

To those still having problems with the Noob match up...just stop playing online.

Zyns

Grodd for Injustice 3
I like to think his worst matchup is Noob.
Good zoners in general usually give Liu trouble.

feete_non_stop

Tele-Beatdown
please someone tell me all move that liu kang can parry, obviusly not low atacks, can he parry for example scorps normal teleport......

Error

DF2+R2
Start a B312 combo as soon as they land, as for Mileena, I think F12, into the regular B312 stuff. You can parry most high and medium hitting physical attacks, with the exception of armored moves and Sektor's teleport. There was a thread somewhere on all the moves that beat Smoke's ex shake, same applies to the other parries.

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
What else is there left to answer?
you seem to know kenshi and IMO a kenshi who saves his meter for ex rising karma / shoulder is tough to deal with. I main Sub but I figure it applies to kang as well.

If you ain't jumpin' in on kenshi, what spacing does kang keep and what does he do TO get in. I know you can jump over a shoulder spamming kenshi, but smart kangs shouldn't because they know they might eat a rising karma instead. So what does kang do to get in?

JacopeX

you seem to know kenshi and IMO a kenshi who saves his meter for ex rising karma / shoulder is tough to deal with. I main Sub but I figure it applies to kang as well.

If you ain't jumpin' in on kenshi, what spacing does kang keep and what does he do TO get in. I know you can jump over a shoulder spamming kenshi, but smart kangs shouldn't because they know they might eat a rising karma instead. So what does kang do to get in?
You know, back when I made the post about the Liu Kang/Kenshi match up, Kenshi was still being dissected and we were still learning to play against/with him. As Liu Kang, this match up only gets harder and harder and I believe he is very underrated IMO. He may have a few crappy normals but they are not even necessary.

2~b1~2, b2, TK slash > u4
Rising Karma > d2

Who needs an uppercut when you have RISING KARMA!? Its an amazing set up for a potentially high damaging combo. Same goes to EN TK Slash. Instead of just jumping in head on or waiting for him to get up, you can try and cross him up when jumping in so the inputs don't apply to the intended move Kenshi tries to do. It happens a lot when thats their favorable wake up option. Also, IAFB would be pretty convenient since they cannot be reflected, but please make sure you do this cautiously if you do not want to eat a tk slash. Other than all that, f12 shuts down the start up frames of some of his special moves and EX Dragon kick can probably help you get in I guess. Also be careful on when to parry when at a semi mid range. He may throw out a normal slash, rising karma, or tackle.

I mean, Kenshi feels like an anti kang character based on the fact that he can shut down his zoning with almost all his special moves, armor through his pressure game, and basically keep him away. So this is a match up like Sub Zero (meter saving), only with a lot more to be aware of that will hit you anyway no matter how careful you are and this time...You're the one being kept away and have to find ways in. It's pretty hard to add a ratio in for this match up because I try to bait a lot in this match up and punish the best I could, that being only viable option as of now with Liu Kang since I have below average amount of match up experience against Kenshi with Liu, but if we are talking completely on who has the edge, i'd say its 4-6 in favor of Kenshi. Kenshi is by far the most complex character I have ever played with in any FG so i'm still alright with him and still trying to find the best time to practice with him against anyone offline but that is my take on the match up.

Durango

Enhancer
Sheeva is a ginormous pain for Liu. I just barely beat someone and he was using loud, annoying music over the mic to distract me. But that wasn't what made it hard.

Her teleports are difficult to predict and counter, parry will not help, and she can beat his attacks out with her own normals given her reach. I would say this is at least 70-30 in her favor.

AssassiN

Noob
Every character has problems with teleport.
You can just jumpkick Sheeva out of the air when she comes down again(you can do the same against Kintaro), works every time for me.
They stop doing teleport then :).

Against Sheeva, can't really give advice against her since I barely got experience against her.
Always been able to keep her under pressure and blocking her wake-up attacks.
Still need to fight against a good Sheeva player, people online just like to spam stuff.

Sheeva is a ginormous pain for Liu. I just barely beat someone and he was using loud, annoying music over the mic to distract me. But that wasn't what made it hard.

Her teleports are difficult to predict and counter, parry will not help, and she can beat his attacks out with her own normals given her reach. I would say this is at least 70-30 in her favor.
Oddly enough I've actually got a lot of Sheeva experience so I know this matchup pretty well. As AssassiN said, you can beat the stomps with jump kick, although I've found that jump kick loses if they direct the stomp behind you. You can also flying kick on reaction, which doesn't punish the stomp, but it moves you out of the way regardless of which way they direct it, so if you're not confident about which way they're gonna stomp you can just be like "nope, don't care". Also, if you're spamming instant air fireballs, sometimes they'll catch her out of the air as she begins the stomp. This isn't really something you can do on reaction but if you're throwing a lot of fireballs out there it's probably going to happen a few times.

As far as her normals go, sure, they've got some range on them, but I don't think you should be rushing down Sheeva anyways. I prefer to zone in this matchup. Her ridiculously huge hitbox makes it very easy to consistently hit her with instant air fireballs, and she doesn't have a great way to get in aside from stomp (and I already told you how to deal with stomp).

EDIT: Oh fuck me that was posted a month ago? Welp guess I'm the worst poster ever, my bad.

I know exactly who you're talking about. He got to rank 33 by only teleporting, grabbing and uppercutting and that is absolutely all he does. That's all he knows how to do. He told me that after I told him he would have to learn combos to scale more. I always destroy him with Scorpion cause all I have to do is TP him before he lands from his teleport and he cant handle the vortex of course cause he cant teleport, uppercut or grab me.

I just barely beat someone and he was using loud, annoying music over the mic to distract me. But that wasn't what made it hard.
When I see his name again I'll post it here. Dj Big C I think it is.

Durango

Enhancer
He got racial with me and called me a honky white cracker ass. It was too funny hearing him scream over the mic for a change.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
CSZ vs Liu Kang. I do feel like this match-up is in his favor. CSZ and Liu Kang both have good up-close game, and CSZ can try to bait the parry, flying and bicycle kick to punish hard, but Kang has a good zoning game which cripples CSZ.
Can you Liu-zers (I don't mean that in a bad way!) give me some insight in this?

@1:40:30

CSZ vs Liu Kang. I do feel like this match-up is in his favor. CSZ and Liu Kang both have good up-close game, and CSZ can try to bait the parry, flying and bicycle kick to punish hard, but Kang has a good zoning game which cripples CSZ.
Can you Liu-zers (I don't mean that in a bad way!) give me some insight in this?

@1:40:30

Haha wow I can't believe how many parries you got away with there. I'm pretty sure b312 beats parry so using it so much is pretty ballsy.

It seemed to me like the thing you had the most trouble with was Liu Kang's zoning. I don't think you win the full screen game in this matchup, like maybe you throw an ice ball at the right time and it beats a fireball but I don't think it's something you can count on, although it's good to get an ice ball on the screen every now and again just to prove that you'll do it. Anyways when Kang starts shitting fireballs everywhere, your strongest option is dash block. Kang doesn't have a lot of really strong get-off-me tools, so once you're in you should be able to stay in.