What's new

Liu Kang Matchup Discussion Thread

Lou Kang

Noob
i think hes def viable in a tourny but he kinda seems like a jack of all trades and master of none, and that kinda keeps him out of the top spots

So, how does Kang do vs. Kabal, Cage, and KL in the current state of the metagame? I feel like the OP is not updated lol
I don't have enough experience against Kabal to really say how that matchup goes. I have it as like 6-4 Kabal but who knows. You can low fireball under his instant air gas blasts, but then he can EX nomad dash that on reaction, but then etc etc I mean you can theory fight it for hours but the truth is I haven't played the matchup enough to really have a feel for it.

I've played the Cage matchup a fair amount with Maxter and I mean he usually wins but I feel like that's just cause he's godlike. I don't think Liu Kang is at a disadvantage in that matchup. It's the same as how most characters have to approach Cage: if you can keep him out you win, if you can't you lose. The good news is that once Cage starts getting close you have a lot of options to get him back to full screen between f121, throw, and b1 xx low fireball.

Kung Lao vs Liu Kang is even. blueNINE plays Kung Lao and I play that matchup against him, what, every week? Every single week since the game first came out? Anyways it's even. KL needs to be real careful with his teleports because Kang can punish it a lot harder than most characters using dragon stance 1.

Alright, here is the million dollar question. How viable is Liu Kang in high level play? He's my main offline and I'm going to attend some tournaments this year. MLG and MWC to be specific. The only characters I struggle against are the ones that can outzone Liu, except Noob. I think that mu isn't as difficult as people say. Thoughts?
I mean I do okay in tournaments and I only play Liu Kang. I've considered picking up a second character to cover my bad matchups, but the thing is, at MLG I didn't actually end up playing against any of my bad matchups (except for one game where I got counter picked by Noob Saibot). Like, the characters I lost to were Johnny Cage and Cyrax, and I think those are fine matchups for Liu Kang. The people I lost to are just better than I am. If there's a huge skill discrepancy between players, then I mean you can pick whoever you want and it's not gonna matter; the player is more important. I think it's only when you're really like right at the same level as your opponent that matchups start to be really important.

AssassiN

Noob
For Kabal, I think it's 6 -4 as well.
Liu can kind of outzone Kabal by doing his low fireball when Kabal starts doing the IAGB. Kabal responds with either an EX nomad dash or saw blades. If you read that Kabal is gonna do saw blades, you can just dragon kick over it(no EX required).

Normal dragon kick vs normal nomad dash => nomad dash wins(no idea about the bicycle kick, but I'm guessing it's the same).
Fuck this priority shit...

When Kabal starts doing his nomad dash cancel pressure it's seriously fucked up for Liu Kang. The parry is still in the start-up frames and his fastest poke is D+3(his D+1 sucks), you are able to get out of this pressure with EX bicycle kick but you def need to read up on Kabal's frame data. Liu Kang is one of those "high hitbox when crouching" characters. Which allows Kabal to do the 2 NDC infinite, the B+1, 2 NDS mix-ups, ...

Still trying to figure out ways how to get out of Kabal's NDC pressure system, I think you might be able to sneak a 2, 1, 3 launcher combo in there after certain strings from Kabal.

I think that Liu Kang's bad match-ups are Kenshi, Kabal, Freddy Krueger, Reptile.
Maybe Sonya and Cage, but only if they have been able to get to you.
I hate fighting against Sub-Zero with those ice clones, can't do anything...

as far as matchups go, matchup charts only apply to the highest level, and as far as the highest level goes i think liu kang can actually outzone the majority of the cast and his rush down is top 5 imo but this is based off my eh low fireball strategies and f4.. my only issue is his defense is rough and his wakeups are risky but can really turn shit around in the right moments...

my main issue with his defense ios that is d1 is slow and his d3 is jumpable otherwise hes top tier

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
id like to hear ur insight ill go read that
About the Ermac vs LK MU. Imo its an even MU. Ermac's projectile can counter LK's IAF's cause it lowers his hitbox, which means LK cannot zone Ermac properly. The only thing LK has against Ermac when in fullscreen is the low fireball which can be countered by tp on reaction or hover lift as a way to build meter and bait any random DK's. Also LK cannot punish a max range TKP with a dragon kick because when its done right it covers pretty much 3/4 of the screen and LK's DK has a slow travelling time which means Ermac will have time to block it and punish it. Up close i believe its pretty much even. Ermac's throw resets the fight in Ermac's favor throwing LK fullscreen. Even if LK tries to punish a regular TKP its pretty risky cause a blocked TKP is at -17f and LK's DK has a 16f startup, which means LK has a 1f window to punish it. Keep in mind that a blocked TKP has a slight knockback also.

EDIT: It could be slightly in Ermac's favor but LK has very good pressure and mixups once he gets in, thats why i have put it as an even MU.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
About the Ermac vs LK MU. Imo its an even MU. Ermac's projectile can counter LK's IAF's cause it lowers his hitbox, which means LK cannot zone Ermac properly. The only thing LK has against Ermac when in fullscreen is the low fireball which can be countered by tp on reaction or hover lift as a way to build meter and bait any random DK's. Also LK cannot punish a max range TKP with a dragon kick because when its done right it covers pretty much 3/4 of the screen and LK's DK has a slow travelling time which means Ermac will have time to block it and punish it. Up close i believe its pretty much even. Ermac's throw resets the fight in Ermac's favor throwing LK fullscreen. Even if LK tries to punish a regular TKP its pretty risky cause a blocked TKP is at -17f and LK's DK has a 16f startup, which means LK has a 1f window to punish it. Keep in mind that a blocked TKP has a slight knockback also.
I agree with it being 5-5. But any smart Liu won't try and punish with flying kick. I personally would dash in and pressure (I don't think Ermac has armor on anything besides X-Ray). His special moves aren't quick enough to get out of pressure (can poke out, as everyone can). I personally wouldn't try zoning Ermac, he can just dash in and use his Soul Push (forget the name), and what you said. I think Ermac would try keep Liu away, once Liu starts hesitating you can start your own pressure. I don't have much experience in this matchup, but i'd say 5-5.

For Kabal, I think it's 6 -4 as well.
Liu can kind of outzone Kabal by doing his low fireball when Kabal starts doing the IAGB. Kabal responds with either an EX nomad dash or saw blades. If you read that Kabal is gonna do saw blades, you can just dragon kick over it(no EX required).

Normal dragon kick vs normal nomad dash => nomad dash wins(no idea about the bicycle kick, but I'm guessing it's the same).
Fuck this priority shit...

When Kabal starts doing his nomad dash cancel pressure it's seriously fucked up for Liu Kang. The parry is still in the start-up frames and his fastest poke is D+3(his D+1 sucks), you are able to get out of this pressure with EX bicycle kick but you def need to read up on Kabal's frame data. Liu Kang is one of those "high hitbox when crouching" characters. Which allows Kabal to do the 2 NDC infinite, the B+1, 2 NDS mix-ups, ...

Still trying to figure out ways how to get out of Kabal's NDC pressure system, I think you might be able to sneak a 2, 1, 3 launcher combo in there after certain strings from Kabal.

I think that Liu Kang's bad match-ups are Kenshi, Kabal, Freddy Krueger, Reptile.
Maybe Sonya and Cage, but only if they have been able to get to you.
I hate fighting against Sub-Zero with those ice clones, can't do anything...
i agree with ur analysis of kabal but i dont think reptile is a bad matchup

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Man, either I'm losing it or people are getting better and better.

Any tips on the Smoke MU? His keep away game works well against me. I usually am able to Fly Kick the Smoke Away and Smoke Bomb. But once they start adapting to that I get screwed over. I know not to block low, but once I meet higher level Smokes, they d4 into even more pressure.

I'm starting to not like Smoke.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Peckapowa, tips on reptile then? bear in mind my exp is online, so he can be a bastard with elbow dash. The only way I win is to shut him down with fireballs. I'm still learning how to pressure with Kang, so up close I still might be too tentative, I mix up enough to nail him with the 12F1, rinse, repeat.

Kitana: in my exp, she has more trouble controlling the air. IAFB shut down assouts and IAFS. need good footsies here, spacing super important. HerD1 is better than Kang's but punsishable by a B312, I like to bait the F21 and whiff punish for 37%....just my $.02

Man, either I'm losing it or people are getting better and better.

Any tips on the Smoke MU? His keep away game works well against me. I usually am able to Fly Kick the Smoke Away and Smoke Bomb. But once they start adapting to that I get screwed over. I know not to block low, but once I meet higher level Smokes, they d4 into even more pressure.

I'm starting to not like Smoke.
Hey are you still having trouble with this? I can help you out a little by giving a few tips. If you f3 a smokebomb, it will whiff and you advance at the same time. I like to also jump forward and whiff an air ball cause usually they'll try and shake it, then scoot forward or ball him. Expect teleports. Never let smoke jump at you either. I try my hardest to stay on smoke at all times. And give him the biggest mix of ups :)

Y'all are way off on the kitana matchup. liu kills kitana something bad. low fireball takes away her zoning and it's not even close on the inside. what keeps it 6-4 is that kitana has slightly better footsie tools. but even then it's dangerous to come in because liu can hit kitana out of any attack with a fireball (17 frames). sure, 2,1 is 11 frames and has better range, but a kitana will have to eat damage while getting in range to get that. plus even at max 2,1 range it's simple enough to dash in while the kitana is struggling to get in and use a faster combo starter (literally all of liu kang's moves) and at worst free pressure. both of liu's obnoxious looping combos are faster than everything that kitana has save for d1 and d3, and neither of which is about to kill you.
If i've been playing the matchup wrong and kitana actually goes balls deep in liu someone let me know, but as of now im convinced it's borderline 7-3 for liu

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Shouldn't the original post be updated to reflect the match-up status for all the DLC vs. Liu Kang? And while I'm at it, how do the Liu Kang players feel over the Freddy Krueger match-up? Please respond as soon as possible.

Konqrr

AYSAMO

Noob
Shouldn't the original post be updated to reflect the match-up status for Freddy Krueger vs. Liu Kang? And while I'm at it, how do the Liu Kang players feel over this match-up? Please respond as soon as possible.
This is a MU that's definitely hard to get experience in lol. No one really uses freddy.

AssassiN

Noob
GamerBlake90

I have some experience in the MU and I'd say it's a 7-3 MU with advantage to Freddy, I think it might actually be an 8-2.
Liu Kang has a hard time getting in, really hard time. And if he is actually close and gets a combo Freddy can get away with ease since Liu Kang has no way of resetting him and has no frametraps without the use of meter.
Liu Kang can't zone because Freddy outzones him with ease.

Much rather fight against Kenshi instead of Freddy.

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
GamerBlake90

I have some experience in the MU and I'd say it's a 7-3 MU with advantage to Freddy, I think it might actually be an 8-2.
Liu Kang has a hard time getting in, really hard time. And if he is actually close and gets a combo Freddy can get away with ease since Liu Kang has no way of resetting him and has no frametraps without the use of meter.
Liu Kang can't zone because Freddy outzones him with ease.

Much rather fight against Kenshi instead of Freddy.
I dont think you have played any great liu kangs yet. a Liu kang that can stay in your face with pressure or knows how to properly iAFB to bait spikes is going to make it a tough match for freddy, no better than a 6-4.

AssassiN

Noob
I dont think you have played any great liu kangs yet. a Liu kang that can stay in your face with pressure or knows how to properly iAFB to bait spikes is going to make it a tough match for freddy, no better than a 6-4.
I'm a LK player, not a Freddy player.

Bait spikes with IAFB?
Spikes go under the IAFB and catch LK for a little full screen combo from Freddy, so does nightmare stance.
All Freddy has to do is teleport away or use his EX booger when LK did a blockstring, LK can only keep him close if LK hits him with EX low fireball.

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
I'm a LK player, not a Freddy player.

Bait spikes with IAFB?
Spikes go under the IAFB and catch LK for a little full screen combo from Freddy, so does nightmare stance.
All Freddy has to do is teleport away or use his EX booger when LK did a blockstring, LK can only keep him close if LK hits him with EX low fireball.
oh my bad, haha. I've played really good LK's like ATL R3dd, Scar, and the other name slips me at this point but he is a crazy 88. Dont get me wrong, its still in Freddys favor but its no more than a 6-4.