What's new

Liu Kang Matchup Discussion Thread

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I quit playing this game like 4 months ago.
I need to be replaced. I've told this to multiple people, yet for some reason I'm still here.
For the love of god, someone please fire me. This forum deserves better.
Refer me pls, I have a application, though have neglected to ask to be co-mod because of how late we are in the game. Injustice is coming out in a few months...

Snozero

The approach, as silent as new fallen snow.
Ok I'm new to Liu, as you can tell by my picture. So can some here please explain the kitanna mu. I like Liu kang dont get me wrong but once she gets in on Liu what does he do? She touches him and I feel like he dies. One of the main reasons I picked him up was for this match so can. Someone help?

AssassiN

Noob
Ok I'm new to Liu, as you can tell by my picture. So can some here please explain the kitanna mu. I like Liu kang dont get me wrong but once she gets in on Liu what does he do? She touches him and I feel like he dies. One of the main reasons I picked him up was for this match so can. Someone help?
Guessing from your post you know you should be outzoning her.
D1+cutter can be punished hard by Liu Kang, just let go of block(and crouch) when she does cutter and wait the appropriate moment to do 213.
If she only does D1 => punish with B312 and send her full screen again by ending with F121.

Her F2,1 is an annoying string, she is only at -1.
If you read she'll be doing this, you can counter with parry.
I think it might be possible to avoid this string by doing LK's Uber Dash, Uber Dash is when you cancel your backdash into a dragon-stance and cancel that again into a backdash. This is just something I've been working out in my head, still need to test this.
Practice the uber dash in practice mode because I think this is something very handy.

Any other stuff is pure footsies and AA'ing.
If she crosses LK over then he has to block, LK is extremely free to cross-ups and definitely to Kitana.

Snozero

The approach, as silent as new fallen snow.
Guessing from your post you know you should be outzoning her.
D1+cutter can be punished hard by Liu Kang, just let go of block(and crouch) when she does cutter and wait the appropriate moment to do 213.
If she only does D1 => punish with B312 and send her full screen again by ending with F121.

Her F2,1 is an annoying string, she is only at -1.
If you read she'll be doing this, you can counter with parry.
I think it might be possible to avoid this string by doing LK's Uber Dash, Uber Dash is when you cancel your backdash into a dragon-stance and cancel that again into a backdash. This is just something I've been working out in my head, still need to test this.
Practice the uber dash in practice mode because I think this is something very handy.

Any other stuff is pure footsies and AA'ing.
If she crosses LK over then he has to block, LK is extremely free to cross-ups and definitely to Kitana.
Ok thank you, another weakness I have is learning to play footsies with this character. I feel like his footsies are really weak of course that's cause I'm use to having a godlike d4 so can someone tell me how to play footsies with him, I'm pretty sure his best poke is d3 but I usually get immediately poked out of whatever I do next. Help please?

AssassiN

Noob
Ok thank you, another weakness I have is learning to play footsies with this character. I feel like his footsies are really weak of course that's cause I'm use to having a godlike d4 so can someone tell me how to play footsies with him, I'm pretty sure his best poke is d3 but I usually get immediately poked out of whatever I do next. Help please?
Best thing about LK is his fast normals and with them kinda being footsies.
His 2 and B3 both have good reach, fast and lead to a 37% combo + mix-ups.
LK's footsies are good, just gotta know the spacing and how to use them.
Next to those he has his B1 + low fireball, should def learn to utilise this together with some B2,3 or B2,B3.
His D4 is good, combine it with D4 + low fireball to have a little bit of mixup.

He is just very good at baiting out pokes and punishing them to the point where people are afraid to poke and rather jump out.
That's where the 2 comes in.

His fastest poke is D3(at 7 frames), his D1 is only 10 frames and I'd advise you to just never use D1 except for an anti-air.
If you hit someone with a D3, B312 is garantueed after it. Only thing your opponent can do is armor out.

ZigZagGamer

The Janitor.
*TOTALLY MY OPINION*
5.5-4.5 vs Baraka
4-6 vs Cyber Sub Zero
4-6 vs Cyrax
4-6 vs Ermac
3-7 vs Freddy Krueger
4-6 vs Jade
Jax (Unsure)
5-5 vs Johnny Cage
5-5 vs Kabal
6-4 vs Kano
3-7 vs Kenshi
5-5 vs Kitana
4-6 vs Kung Lao
5-5 vs Mileena
5-5 vs Nightwolf (Maybe 4.5-5.5)
3-7 vs Noob Saibot
6-4 vs Quan Chi
5-5 vs Raiden
Rain (unsure)
6-4 vs Reptile
5-5 vs Socprion
Sektor (unsure but 6-4 seems reasonable)
4-6 Shang Tsung
6-4 vs Sheeva
6-4 vs Sindel
Skarlet (unsure)
5-5 vs Smoke
5-5 vs Sonya Blade
6-4 vs Stryker
5-5 vs Sub Zero

Just my opinions through experience don't hail me with reasons as to why.
It's just through the experience i've had i've felt some MU's are different.

AssassiN

Noob
Care to explain why Cyber Sub-Zero, Cyrax, Jade and Noob Saibot are bad MU's?
You've got CSZ, Cyrax and Jade at 4-6 even though CSZ can be kept out of the air with IAFB's and punishing/avoiding parry with B312.
Cyrax can be outzoned and is an equal footsie/up-close battle when Cyrax gets close. 6-4 LK in my eyes
Jade is 5-5 or 6-4 LK, don't depend on zoning in this MU. Only use it sometimes to bait out attacks and punish them.

You have Noob Saibot at 3-7? It's more of a 5-5 MU...
Noob outzones LK, but up-close LK can easily bait out Noob's AA or jump over his shadows for an easy combo.

Not sure about the Shang Tsung MU being 4-6, seems more like a 5-5 to me.

AssassiN

Noob
AssassiN[be] isn't Shang a mother fucker up close? I have trouble dealing with his frame traps when I play Kang...
It sucks for Kang once Shang starts the up close pressure.
The lack of a 6 frame move just sucks ass, since his F4 comes out at 7 frames after a Ground Skull.
You can try D3'ing and hope you'll get it first. The only guarantee he has to get out is using armor.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
^^
After fighting wound cowboy, I came to reason that IAF fireballs will destory shang... but you have to be on point...IAF and moving around the playing field with high fireballs destroy shang.. as the up close pressure begins, you can very well get out of his pressure by doing d3, but sometimes he would d1 or back up and whiff punish your counter, I realized you can very well beat him with p1 advantage with 213 lol

Note: its an 8 frame window from f4, to ground skull or you can en fly kick or bicycle kick

liu kang for certain loses atleast 3-7 to freddy

hes dash speed isnt that good and hes outzoned badly, getting out of fullscreen is a nightmare and getting in and staying in is rough

AssassiN

Noob
How do you guys fight the Kitana MU? I do alright, but I'd like to hear how you guys play it.
Low fireballs + IAFB's to counter her zoning(low when she is doing air fans, IAFB's when doing grounded).
Up close bait out the D1 and punish hard with B312, avoid the F21 string and punish with B312 if you're at the right distance(Dragon dashing will help you with this) or just using parry to counter her F21.

I let Kitana come to me, there is no reason for LK to approach her unless she has health-advantage and he is low.
Cross-overs can be a bitch but I am using parry more as a counter against cross-over punches/kicks.

I don't really do the poking in this MU, I let her do the poking. 90% of the time it will be a D1 that is punishable.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
I came to the conclusion that Kenshi is far worse than freddy...

BTW I am cleaning up the threads a little bit because old irrelevant post, either there is a section for it and users decide to repost a new thread of the same thing. Please be courteous and post on the threads that have information on what you are talking about. Also I can make some MTCHUP threads.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
I came to the conclusion that Kenshi is far worse than freddy...

BTW I am cleaning up the threads a little bit because old irrelevant post, either there is a section for it and users decide to repost a new thread of the same thing. Please be courteous and post on the threads that have information on what you are talking about. Also I can make some MTCHUP threads.
I'd love to see your own LK match-up chart. Any progress with the LK youtube video guide?

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Yea, I prefer fighting Kenshi over Freddy myself. Most Kenshi's don't know how to deal with high fireball, then low fireball. Then again, I'm an online player.

Is this thread going to be updated? I remember I made a "Community MU Thread" because this one was outdated.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
Hmmm... I my opinion is that Freddy is much better than Kenshi. I feel more comfortable fighting Freddy because when I get in, he doesn't have all that armor sending me full screen again. I can deal with his teleports but I cannot say I feel as comfortable when fighting against Kenshi.

AssassiN

Noob
Updated the main post with new MU numbers, discuss said MU numbers.
I left a few blank because I have no knowledge in these MU's. I based this MU on thoughts of my own and MIT's.

I'm going to start doing thread specific MU stuff, in these threads the MU will be discussed per character and will involve experiences + knowledge. There will be no discussion of MU numbers! Keep them in this thread.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
Updated the main post with new MU numbers, discuss said MU numbers.
I left a few blank because I have no knowledge in these MU's. I based this MU on thoughts of my own and MIT's.

I'm going to start doing thread specific MU stuff, in these threads the MU will be discussed per character and will involve experiences + knowledge. There will be no discussion of MU numbers! Keep them in this thread.
Where's the new post with your MU numbers my Belgian friend? :)