What's new

Literally, who's dumb idea was Towers Of Time?

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
Are you all playing the same game I'me playing? Because the Towers of Time actually ARE NOT THAT HARD.

Yes they are challenging, and yes they are harder in comparison to the Living Towers in MKX and the Multiverse in IJ2, but they are not impossible like you guys make them look like. I have played some Towers myself and so far I've lost ONLY ONE MATCH IN THAT MODE, ONLY ONE, and all other Towers I've played, I beat them without ANY LOSES. And the only times I've lost in any kind of a tower was against Kronika in the Arcade mode at the Klassic Towers, and I've even defeated her a several times without using any continues.

After playing the Living Towers and the Multiverse for so long I got the feel of what to do in the TOT's. I'm not saying there wouldn't be difficult matches at all, because even the Living Towers and Multiverse modes had there fair share of difficult matches/ladders, but to say that TOT's are impossible AS A WHOLE? In the words of Shao Khan, don't make me laugh!

Either you guys didn't play the Living Towers and/or Multiverse enough, or you just now started to play MK games.
Yes.

Your experience heavily outweighs and diminishes the outcries of hundreds.

Fair.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Are you all playing the same game I'me playing? Because the Towers of Time actually ARE NOT THAT HARD.

Yes they are challenging, and yes they are harder in comparison to the Living Towers in MKX and the Multiverse in IJ2, but they are not impossible like you guys make them look like. I have played some Towers myself and so far I've lost ONLY ONE MATCH IN THAT MODE, ONLY ONE (that was against Kano with the Laser modifier, which got updated to move differently and can only harm you but not Kano) and all other Towers I've played, I beat them without ANY LOSES. And the only other times I've lost in any kind of a tower was against Kronika in the Arcade mode at the Klassic Towers, and I've even defeated her with several characters without using any continue.

After playing the Living Towers and the Multiverse for so long I got the feel of what to do in the TOT's. I'm not saying there wouldn't be difficult matches at all, because even the Living Towers and Multiverse modes had there fair share of difficult matches/ladders, but to say that TOT's are impossible AS A WHOLE? In the words of Shao Khan, don't make me laugh!

Either you guys didn't play the Living Towers and/or Multiverse enough, or you just now started to play MK games.
But....are you ENJOYING playing this game mode? And be honest.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Which is exactly why you shouldn't need to hit continue. AKA I'm not gonna be there, so I'm not playing to level up. Thus, AI grinding would be awesome to help unlock currency for skins in modes I don't care about when I'm not around to play myself.

Not sure how that equates to me trying to play towers to level up or whatever. You're not making sense.
I think that's because I didn't understand you. I do now. You're basically saying that AI matches should be fully automated without any sort of "hit button to continue" from a human since the player is essentially checked out anyway. So if you're sitting in front of the game, you want to be playing the game. I thought you were advocating against using the AI at all for the Towers..

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
But....are you ENJOYING playing this stupid game mode? And be honest.
I am. It's annoying sometimes but I'm using it to warm up and tighten up my game before I consider heading online to fight other people. Last week I focused entirely on picking up Jacqui's cancels and getting a feel for her clench and feints now I'm going to practice her KB setups and her optimal BNBs for corner carry and get comfortable lock and loading three KBs and dropping them in one combo.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I think that's because I didn't understand you. I do now. You're basically saying that AI matches should be fully automated without any sort of "hit button to continue" from a human since the player is essentially checked out anyway. So if you're sitting in front of the game, you want to be playing the game. I thought you were advocating against using the AI at all for the Towers..
Indeed. Basically if I'm there I want to play to get better and not play dumb modes like towers.

I do, however, like most people love alternate skins and customizing my characters... so if AI battling through the tower didn't require me to hit continue, it would be very useful to me. But since it does require me to be there... I'd rather play and not just sit around.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
But....are you ENJOYING playing this game mode? And be honest.
Yes, I do. I'm enjoying them in the same way I've enjoyed the Living Towers in MKX and the Multiverse in IJ2. And like I said, there would be indeed some annoying matches, but the other two modes had them too, so that is perfectly fine.

I can't believe they made the towers worse than inj2 multiverse. Same with gear tbh. I thought things would have been improved since inj2 and the game would be less grindy

I also wish they kept inj2 style shaders.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Indeed. Basically if I'm there I want to play to get better and not play dumb modes like towers.

I do, however, like most people love alternate skins and customizing my characters... so if AI battling through the tower didn't require me to hit continue, it would be very useful to me. But since it does require me to be there... I'd rather play and not just sit around.
Oh yeah I hear you for sure. I'm guessing NRS doesn't let it auto-continue because they don't want to completely untether the player from the game and make it 100% autonomous. Even then a player has to still manually switch towers, characters, and keep it moving. If it was 100% automated then it would undermine the time gate replay loop since people would just "set and forget" the Towers.

PS: In the time we've had this convo my AI Sonya defeated all 4 of the new Kano towers for the skin while I've been enjoying some coffee, conversation with my wife, and picking up around the house....

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Yes, I do. I'm enjoying them in the same way I've enjoyed the Living Towers in MKX and the Multiverse in IJ2. And like I said, there would be indeed some annoying matches, but the other two modes had them too, so that is perfectly fine.
I've hated the towers with modifiers in every game. I'm just more annoyed by it in this game, because you have to do these for gear. I got more than enough gear in INJ2 simply by playing the game and getting random drops.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I forgot to mention a few more things:

1) Yes, it is ok to use the AI to beat a Tower if you don't have enough time or you can do something else meanwhile, that's what I used to do with the Legendary Gear in IJ2. I used the AI to speed up the process. Not in all matches of course, but I've still use it. And that's how I got all of my 7 Legendaries in IJ2 (all 4 Ninja Turtles, Sub-Zero, Starfire and Poison Ivy).

2) Speaking of the Legendaries, they indeed took a lot of grind, but you couldn't have speed up the process with any type of micros, not even the Source Crystals. Even before the Legendaries were added to the game, you still had to do a good portion of grind if you wanted to get your character the look that you wanted fro it, and if you were a casual player, even more for the Gear-only moves. That's the same case here for MK11, you got a big grind, but you can't speed up the process with any micros, and the micros can only be used for only specific items, while the rest can only be unlocked by gameplay. The only difference is the huge grind in MK11 came already on the start, unlike with IJ2 in which the grind became huge only after some time after the game was released. Aside from that however, both games have the same type of grind.

I've hated the towers with modifiers in every game. I'm just more annoyed by it in this game, because you have to do these for gear. I got more than enough gear in INJ2 simply by playing the game and getting random drops.
You can't please everyone. I loved those modes in previous games. :)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
But yeah, some of them are absolutely stupid. It’s artificial difficulty. Something being artificially hard means that it’s hard based either on randomness (RNG) or based on something that doesn’t take skill, just mainly luck.

One of the character specific towers for Scorpion. The final character in one of the towers is Liu Kang. The Liu Kang AI is really good by itself. But this is the modifiers he has.

-Constantly drains your health at a consistent pace. You start the round like this until you die basically.

-ALL your meter is drained at the start of the round and you cannot build it back.

-AND to top it off, a random full screen covering fart projectile randomly comes out quite frequently that puts you in a stun state for like 1000 frames or something stupid like that. Even IF you’re comboing him.

So, it’s a race against the health drain time. But since you don’t have meter you can’t do much damage. But even if you get any type of momentum, here comes the fart projectile.

If it weren’t for the consumables I finally found that made it just barely possible, there’s almost no way you could win in that situation. I just had to play super scrubby constantly jumping to try to avoid the fart. I had the life regen consumable that regens health slowly for like 15 seconds, and some fire hands buff that didn’t last very long but was needed to get any sort of damage.

I probably tried it like 100 times before I actually beat it. AND TWICE instead of going to “rematch” I accidentally went to “main menu”, meaning I had to start the tower all over again.

I was very salty, but finally beat it. So yeah, some of the towers are absolutely dumb af and they need to be altered.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
But yeah, some of them are absolutely stupid. It’s artificial difficulty. Something being artificially hard means that it’s hard based either on randomness (RNG) or based on something that doesn’t take skill, just mainly luck.

One of the character specific towers for Scorpion. The final character in one of the towers is Liu Kang. The Liu Kang AI is really good by itself. But this is the modifiers he has.

-Constantly drains your health at a consistent pace. You start the round like this until you die basically.

-ALL your meter is drained at the start of the round and you cannot build it back.

-AND to top it off, a random full screen covering fart projectile randomly comes out quite frequently that puts you in a stun state for like 1000 frames or something stupid like that. Even IF you’re comboing him.

So, it’s a race against the health drain time. But since you don’t have meter you can’t do much damage. But even if you get any type of momentum, here comes the fart projectile.

If it weren’t for the consumables I finally found that made it just barely possible, there’s almost no way you could win in that situation. I just had to play super scrubby constantly jumping to try to avoid the fart. I had the life regen consumable that regens health slowly for like 15 seconds, and some fire hands buff that didn’t last very long but was needed to get any sort of damage.

I probably tried it like 100 times before I actually beat it. AND TWICE instead of going to “rematch” I accidentally went to “main menu”, meaning I had to start the tower all over again.

I was very salty, but finally beat it. So yeah, some of the towers are absolutely dumb af and they need to be altered.
Reminds me of the Bleed Out modifier back in Deception lmao That sounds pretty rage inducing.

∆Venus

fighters are a freaking blast!
Least favorite tower by far: Perfection is Key, in Stage 7 of the Gauntlet. Sure, cute callback, but being expected to achieve a double flawless when crouching or arbitrarily dipping too much of your character into a poisonous gas deals damage to you? For real? Even with a konsumable loadout of distilled magma and three fire-based weapons, as recommended on twitter, it still relied utterly on the whims of the AI with regard to say, using Scorpion's teleport or his spear. Blocking is disabled, not that it would matter if you could given you'd take chip, and you sure as hell can't crouch under the spear. I was fine with the level of bullshit I had endured up until this point — I eventually completed the objective required for me to move on, and that doesn't change how putrid it is.

My partner has been playing on Switch, and like me, they've lost sight of what they actually wanted to play the game for and have been subjecting themselves to this tower grind. Only, I feel much worse for them, because they are not a fighting game player and the Switch and PC ports haven't been hit with the hotfix that lowered the HP cap on the Towers of Time opponents. They are expected to frequently defeat characters with five times standard health, while unblockable modifiers that recharge damn near instantly are being thrown at them. Their Krypt looks nothing like mine, in terms of how currency is allocated: I have chests with a wide variety of koin price points, and the only things that require souls are the green vaults and restoring destroyed areas, whereas nearly every chest in their game costs souls and those that do trade in koin are largely inflated to the point that even when they do succeed in an island's worth of towers, the feat doesn't prove worth the investment of time and energy. It's turned them off from playing the game at all, and until two days ago their version of the game wasn't even on par with mine (PS4) in terms of character tools and balance.

It's really difficult for me to maintain my esteem for the game when I can see it hurting someone who genuinely wanted to enjoy it and be able to play it with me. After nearly a week of suffering through the towers, I can't talk them into playing my copy with myself or our friends; their interest in learning MK11 and fighting games in general has been waning with each day.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
How about the dummy that decided "Let's make Tournament Mandatory Variations but not make them the defaults, or even togglable in the practice menu. Instead let's make people use the kustom menu just to set up every single character twice (50). Understand that's nearly an hour of just doing that, and it actually takes longer. FUN!

The thing I dislike the most about them is that in order to beat them, you actually have to play WORSE. The whole concept of this game was slowing things down and focusing on footsies and punishes, but if you try that in many of the ToT fights, you just die from some environmental bullshit so you're forced to just jump in and combo without taking the time to think about anything and then just click restart match if everything doesn't work out until you randomly get a fight where things work out.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

Reminds me of Cassie's stage 2 character tower. You had to fight against Scarlet in a blood rain where you would get a lot of DOT unless you're standing in a blood vortex. How can you do damage standing in a spot big enough for one character? And to make matters worse, she would gain health if she'd enter. So I had to use Takeda's exploding kunai consumable with increased fire damage for the whole tower to beat it. It was shit.

Last edited:
Im in scorpions stage 3 towers and the last fight on one of them is Liu kang with 3 Different poison modifiers, unless there is a konsumable which makes you immune to poison it’s unbeatable.

Xelz

Go over there!
This mode is turning my wife off of the MK franchise. She's a fight stick player and enjoys playing games for cosmetic rewards, but some of the cosmetics she wants are locked behind ToT. And there's no way to activate consumables with her fight stick. She's already getting frustrated by the thought of re-learning on a game pad. And I think the ToT randomness is going to kill this game for her.

I already stopped playing ToT myself because it just isn't fun. I've been able to beat all but one tower I tried so far, all without using augments, but even when I won it was a frustrating experience that taught me nothing. I'd rather play online or in normal towers where I can practice my combos and footsie distance. Instead, I found myself developing bad habits to beat ToT. I'm leaving ToT to my AI from now on while I do chores. When I'm ready to play, I'll just stick to online.

Also, why can't online be as productive for unlocking cosmetics as single player and why are there so many cosmetic unlocks exclusive to single player modes? This logic is counterintuitive for an online multiplayer game and runs the opposite direction taken by most other online multiplayer games, e.g. Call of Duty.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
How about the dummy that decided "Let's make Tournament Mandatory Variations but not make them the defaults, or even togglable in the practice menu. Instead let's make people use the kustom menu just to set up every single character twice (50). Understand that's nearly an hour of just doing that, and it actually takes longer. FUN!
I agree that it’s dumb and annoying, but you are grossly exaggerating here. It takes just a few seconds. New variation, go to abilities tab, press 2 to bring up the presets, and choose one with the trophy icon. Wtf are you doing to make it take an hour?!