What's new

Let's Explore This Terror Together: Scarecrow General Discussion

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
I was fighting a scarecrow earlier and it's funny how negative F3 is. It may be long range but the startup is way too slow for it to be that negative.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I was fighting a scarecrow earlier and it's funny how negative F3 is. It may be long range but the startup is way too slow for it to be that negative.
it is genuinely frustrating.
Of ALL the help Scarecrow could possibly get, I would definitely want better recovery on F3 as #1. Either that, or less strict timing on B3 in combos.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
If f3 was too safe Scarecrow would run amok in the neutral - to the point of it being kinda busted. A move that reaches that far, controlling that much space, with that much damage potential, while also being dash-cancellable/mb.roll cancellable, AND meter-burnable into armor... Like we already have b3 which still outranges 95% of the b3/f3s in the game, and it's +3.

I think it's a fair weakness given its strengths and b3 being +3 anyway.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
If f3 was too safe Scarecrow would run amok in the neutral - to the point of it being kinda busted. A move that reaches that far, controlling that much space, with that much damage potential, while also being dash-cancellable/mb.roll cancellable, AND meter-burnable into armor... Like we already have b3 which still outranges 95% of the b3/f3s in the game, and it's +3.

I think it's a fair weakness given its strengths and b3 being +3 anyway.
This is a valid argument.

Like..I WANT it to be better, but I would understand if it was left unchanged.
If we somehow ever got better consistency on F3/B3 in combos, I wouldnt care if I had to be agonizingly careful with my F3's.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
IMO f3 should be so negative. It should be like -7 or so. But that's just me
Nah, it's good for what it does.

It already has pushback on block so you'll eat is a projectile in most cases. In the cases where you won't, just don't do it unless it's on a read.

It's not a bad move by any means just make a better read.

I've gotten to the end of my rope more or less. Despite countless hours of labbing the character, setups, combos, spacing etc I've yet to get beyond the grasp of an average level player. Opponents that I struggle to take games off of the likes of others such as Toxin, Whiteboi, Chongo seem to handle with ease. It has grown beyond frustrating to the point where I've considered leaving the game behind.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
I've gotten to the end of my rope more or less. Despite countless hours of labbing the character, setups, combos, spacing etc I've yet to get beyond the grasp of an average level player. Opponents that I struggle to take games off of the likes of others such as Toxin, Whiteboi, Chongo seem to handle with ease. It has grown beyond frustrating to the point where I've considered leaving the game behind.
Take a break or explore another character / game to get perspective. I'd suggest analyzing other player's match videos and compare them to your own to see signs of what their doing that's working vs your struggles. And don't invest too much energy in online play - despite what people say, the netcode for this game is just gross. I get hit by overheads I can see and by projectiles I can duck/block all the time, and random lag spikes turn 45% damage combos into punishable 20% drops. Too many matches vs subpar players have swung in their favor because of how explosive this game is + the aforementioned netcode nonsense.

My suggestion with Scarecrow based on a very basic analysis of the quoted - give up on tech with this character. He has some dirty shit for sure, but the key thing is to focus your energy on your neutral game. When you're occupying Scarecrow's preferred 60% of the screen you're in control in almost every matchup in the game. I stopped going for knockdown setups almost entirely and instead turn knockdowns into opportunities to obtain advantageous spacing and just let the opponent hang themselves. It's been way more consistent than trying to go for tech-y setups. That was my big catharsis moment with this character - if I get a hit, go for the restand, or just knock them down within my ideal spacing range and wait for them to wakeup. Stay in the driver seat, trust in my reactions and my neutral game, and let Scarecrow's natural strengths do the rest.

Just my two cents. I was feeling the same sort of a frustration just last week but things started to click when I simplified my strategy.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
There are way too many characters in this meta who can get their pound of flesh easier than Crow.
It's gonna be a long time before he's broken down to a point where he becomes a force to be genuinely feared. Especially with Red Hood now joining the fray, as if he didn't have a hard enough time getting zoned out. Although I personally think Mr. Todd compliments the Doctor very well as a backup.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
My thoughts exactly. Thinking I finally have a good backup plan.
He is the perfect backup for the zoning body that causes Dr. Crane so much frustration.
Now there is hope.
Although it is quite absurd that Hood's offense connects so fluidly, while Scarecrow's isn't nearly as lenient.
But that's okay. You have a challenging character, and an "all right, let's just go berserk" lieutenant to deal with the top tier.
Both of these characters are built around interrupting whatever the hell you THOUGHT you were going to do, until they did what they did.
Fear and bullets. Bullets and fear.

DrLupus

"Just a silly old clown"
Maybe I missed something, but I'm watching Rico play Scarecrow vs REO's Red Hood. REO is pushblocking every MB db2. Is there any reason for this other than creating distance?

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Maybe I missed something, but I'm watching Rico play Scarecrow vs REO's Red Hood. REO is pushblocking every MB db2. Is there any reason for this other than creating distance?
It prevents Scarecrow's pressure follow up as he's plus 6 after a mb db2, so REO doesn't want to deal with Scarecrow's options and instead is opting to avoid it for a bar

DrLupus

"Just a silly old clown"
It prevents Scarecrow's pressure follow up as he's plus 6 after a mb db2, so REO doesn't want to deal with Scarecrow's options and instead is opting to avoid it for a bar
That's exactly what I thought, but I've not played for a few days and was stuck on the bus in traffic watching. Thanks.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
The tricky thing with this strategy is that it neutralizes the meter situation. Against heavy zoners who build meter well it's really frustrating to deal with because they usually end up still holding the meter advantage... but it also leaves Crow in his ideal footsie range. So it's still beneficial whether or not they pushblock to some degree... but it's sad when I can't tick throw. It's like my favorite thing.

DrLupus

"Just a silly old clown"
Whiteboi has been on a tear this weekend at CEO. Anyone know if his offstream matches were recorded?

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
No and I hope nobody noticed them. Last thing we need is idiots upplaying this char and getting him nerfed pointless like Alist was.

No and I hope nobody noticed them. Last thing we need is idiots upplaying this char and getting him nerfed pointless like Alist was.
Honestly I hope they were recorded. This character could not be upplayed by anyone. I seriously doubt any he will see needs at all.