What's new

General/Other - Shaolin Kung Jin (Shaolin) Discussion Thread

Wolverine32

PSN: ADM_Wolverine
@YOMI SLAYER id honestly like to have a long discussion with you with matchups and certain combo enders for those certain matchups. I think b212+4 is so underused for matchups where you want to force your opponent to get in again.
Are you talking about using b212+4 as an ended to send them full screen? That's something I never thought of, but against someone KJ outzones that seems really solid. Gives it more use than just as a conditioning tool.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
I end in 343 low chakram to send them full screen. Sticking to 34 helps my muscle memory.

I'm not sure if this is new and I'm not claiming anything as a discovery but I was able to do a 40% corner combo w/o 4, up arrow cancel. I have trouble timing njp under pressure and drop it more than I would like. This one has easier execution imo.

Ji2-221-ex low chak-njp-f4-d1-11-ia divekick-34-upkick-elbow drop

Last edited:

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Where do you guys think shaolin stands in the tier list in XL as compared to MKX? I personally think he is better. Two main reasons for this: (1) the nerfs to some of the prior top tiers; and (2) I think he actually matches up reasonably well against most DLC characters. The fact that he went almost completely unchanged was actually a great benefit to him in the context of the new game.

Parasurama

Dragon
Agreed, but I noticed his forums are quite dead, perhaps people have left for the KP 2 characters? I watched a MK XL tourney on YOUTUBE with Slayer doing very well with Shaolin today, it is always nice to see another KJ play, and the strategies they employ.

JesterSMX

I think once we learn how each character's changes affect the matchup, he'll be back to just under S. He isn't op and he doesn't have a weakness. Right now it's just not knowing what we're up against and learning the changes and new characters.

This is going to sound scrubby and i'm only saying this because of the two neutral situations with blocked ex chakram and landing after blocked upkick...

These situations leave both players at 0-0 and my follow up would revolve around how fast their poke was. If their's was more than 7 I would abuse the shit out of shaolin's d1 and if it was faster I would counter poke or crossover and whiff punish (at least try to.)

Now basically everyone in the game has a 6 or 7 frame poke and it's throwing my game off. Before I would know if I had the advantage but now I don't know who has what.

That's the only adjusting I need for the old cast. Still learning the new chars and 7 at once is a lot. I think the borgs might give him some trouble but I still don't completely know the matchup. Also Tarkatan and acidic are easy as shit to pick up and it can't hurt having more pocket chars.

Wolverine32

I definitely think he's moved up the ranks due to top tiers being normalized. I've found certain MU's much easier in XL for sure. I've always thought he had no awful MU's for sure but what may have been his worst are definitely easier now due to normalizations I feel

JesterSMX

Agreed, but I noticed his forums are quite dead, perhaps people have left for the KP 2 characters? I watched a MK XL tourney on YOUTUBE with Slayer doing very well with Shaolin today, it is always nice to see another KJ play, and the strategies they employ.
I still keep an eye on the Shaolin forums but very few changes means there's not a whole lot to report or ask. If I need to win Shaolin is the guy. Just been going through other forums to learn the new chars and changes.

Wolverine32

Found a new corner bnb I've been using. 38% for 1 Bar it's 221xxEXdb1, njp, 4xxdb2, d1, 11, iadk, 4xxbf3. After the dive kick you can squeeze in 34 instead of the 4 but it's much more strict and nets the same damage so I don't see the point. I'm also looking for more damaging stuff in the corner besides this if anyone has anything that would be awesome

JesterSMX

40%

38%
Ji2-221-ex low chak-njp-ji4-d1-11-ia divekick-34-upkick-elbow drop

The 40% one is easier for me than 4-up arrow cancel and the 38% is so easy you'll never drop it.

Wolverine32

40%

38%
Ji2-221-ex low chak-njp-ji4-d1-11-ia divekick-34-upkick-elbow drop

The 40% one is easier for me than 4-up arrow cancel and the 38% is so easy you'll never drop it.
I was messing with the f4 into d1 and couldn't seem to find the right timing. Is there a trick to it?

JesterSMX

I was messing with the f4 into d1 and couldn't seem to find the right timing. Is there a trick to it?
Delay for njp is less than 4-up arrow combo and slight delay for f4. Just start the combo from njp in the corner and get the timing. F4 pops them back up just as they start falling from njp. I would always mistime the njp for 4 up arrow and this one is easier for me once I got the timing.

Wolverine32

Delay for njp is less than 4-up arrow combo and slight delay for f4. Just start the combo from njp in the corner and get the timing. F4 pops them back up just as they start falling from njp. I would always mistime the njp for 4 up arrow and this one is easier for me once I got the timing.
Are you on xb1?

Wolverine32

Are you on xb1?

JesterSMX

Kinda. I have one but its a glorified roku in the living room on a tv with display lag. It would be a pain to move it to my ps4 setup. I'll make a video and post it later today.

Wolverine32

Oh there's no need for all of that or the video I was just wanting to play another strong KJ but I'll keep practicing. Thanks!

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye
Where do you guys think shaolin stands in the tier list in XL as compared to MKX? I personally think he is better. Two main reasons for this: (1) the nerfs to some of the prior top tiers; and (2) I think he actually matches up reasonably well against most DLC characters. The fact that he went almost completely unchanged was actually a great benefit to him in the context of the new game.
Shaolin Kung Jin is a very strong candidate for top 10, IMO, if he isn't top 10 already.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Based on the way this game was in 2015, I NEVER would have expected DJT and slayer to both use shaolin back to back. Unfortunately they both lost to the fox, but it was interesting to see that as a shaolin player.

Wolverine32

How did DJT play him? I feel like since he's so methodical and patient and slayer is a more explosive player in my eyes they would play them both completely differently

JesterSMX

Djt seemed rusty or not completely comfortable with jin. His execution is amazing and kung jin doesn't demand that much to get close to his max damage so it had to be something. Djt is the man I'm not talking bad about him but his combo choices were weird.

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye
DJT has played Bojutsu before, but not Shaolin, IIRC. I think it's a new experience for him to play Shaolin and, thus, not as crispy or natural as Slayer is with the character.

IMO, DJT plays Jin more defensively and patiently than Slayer does, who conversely seems to prefer a semi-rushdown gameplay. On one hand, DJT has knowledge of more optimal combos and on the other hand, Slayer's more on point with the conversions. It's definitely interesting to see this contrast between their gameplay styles when it comes to Jin.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Now that the ex chakram scare has passed, can anyone not at work confirm that he didn't get fucked over in some other way?